Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2019, 02:54   #2671
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Can anyone guide me on rear camera setup in a hatchback? I already have a front dashcam and want to add an independent rear cam but I'm wondering where to place the camera which doesn't interfere with hatch opening?
Old 13th July 2019, 13:12   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I guess this discussion will loop a bit.

This is very similar to buying 'ticketless travel insurance' in Bombay locals. The bet is that most people will not be charged customs just like the local guys are betting most people will not be caught by the TTE.

It is duty avoidance. Are there bigger fish to fry? Of course!
So you order something from abroad and it reaches you without any demand for duty from the customs. Will you voluntarily go and pay the duty? I don't think so.

In this case, if there is a demand for payment, you pay up and get it reimbursed from the online portal. Just like any other insurance, where you pay a certain money to safeguard a bigger spend that may or may not occur.

I don't understand the ticketless travel analogy. Do you get reimbursed if the TTE catches you?
Jaguar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 16:12   #2673
Distinguished - BHPian

The thing here is that avoidance of duty is technically criminal, just as is ticket-less travel on the train.

A contract to do something illegal is probably not enforceable in most countries. How can an insurance company offer such cover? Would they pay any fine? In an extreme example, would they go to jail for the customer, who is, essentially a smuggler?

If people say that such cover is available then, ok, it must be, but it seems to me to be legally and ethically very dubious.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 16:16   #2674
BHPian

Apologies if it has been discussed before. Viofo has released a new firmware for its A119s model. Has anyone tried it yet?

What are the feedbacks and improvements from previous firmware?
Old 13th July 2019, 19:23   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

In this case, if there is a demand for payment, you pay up and get it reimbursed from the online portal. Just like any other insurance, where you pay a certain money to safeguard a bigger spend that may or may not occur.

I don't understand the ticketless travel analogy. Do you get reimbursed if the TTE catches you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The thing here is that avoidance of duty is technically criminal, just as is ticket-less travel on the train.

If people say that such cover is available then, ok, it must be, but it seems to me to be legally and ethically very dubious.
Like I anticipated this is causing off topic discussions!

Couple of points & then I will shut up:
- If you are paying money to avoid duty to your country, then you are indulging in duty avoidance. That money, even if it is 10%, is more ethically paid to the country than to a corporation. I do not think there is any grey in this.
When I am importing something in the clear, without under invoicing, I am expecting customs authorities to apply appropriate duty. If they do, I happily pay. If they dont, I guess they know best!

- The Bombay Local insurance is real but it is not offered by any 'company'. It is basically offered seedy folks (may be "D Company"?) who do honor the insurance if you claim with receipt. I am referring to this

Last edited by sridhu : 13th July 2019 at 19:25.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 18:44   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
Apologies if it has been discussed before. Viofo has released a new firmware for its A119s model. Has anyone tried it yet?

What are the feedbacks and improvements from previous firmware?
For A119S latest available firmware is V4.0 released in Nov'18. I don't see any new releases after that. What is your source of information?
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 00:33   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Like I anticipated this is causing off topic discussions!

Couple of points & then I will shut up:
- If you are paying money to avoid duty to your country, then you are indulging in duty avoidance. That money, even if it is 10%, is more ethically paid to the country than to a corporation. I do not think there is any grey in this.
When I am importing something in the clear, without under invoicing, I am expecting customs authorities to apply appropriate duty. If they do, I happily pay. If they dont, I guess they know best!

- The Bombay Local insurance is real but it is not offered by any 'company'. It is basically offered seedy folks (may be "D Company"?) who do honor the insurance if you claim with receipt. I am referring to this

Paying to under invoice and paying for insurance is completely different. I don't see anything ethically wrong in the second as long as the insurance provider is not doing anything illegal to influence the customs guys.

And boy, you weren't kidding about the bombay local insurance. I was not aware of it and was just thinking that people just travel without ticket with the hope of not getting caught. You learn something new every day.
Old 16th July 2019, 22:42   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
For A119S latest available firmware is V4.0 released in Nov'18. I don't see any new releases after that. What is your source of information?
My bad, I was looking at one third party firmware release. Probably, I'll refrain myself from installing that.

However, I am also still to upgrade to the official firmware (V4.0) too. You have done it? Any visible improvement?
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:54   #2679
Senior - BHPian

I find that the CPL filter on the Viofo A119 *V2) tends to rattle quite a bit even when 'snugly' fit. It takes a lot of effort to keep it silent. I finally stuck a 2 way tape on it. The rattle noise fills the cabin and also is there obviously in the recordings if the mic is on. here is a sample:
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:53   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I find that the CPL filter on the Viofo A119 *V2) tends to rattle quite a bit

I had the same issue. I realised that the filter holder had expanded, something that would happen when plastic is heated.
Used little, but some pressure to bend it inside for a snug fit. Also try turning the lenses inside, as I found them having some sort of play.
Of course a small piece of tape is your last resort.

My question: Anybody has an issue of Date and Time not staying put on their Viofi A119s? One set of my dashcam, seems to lose the date and time, if set up manually. As of now, it seems the GPS unit is managing the correct time and date, but when detached from the GPS unit, the dashcam seems to loose the settings. My question is, is there a RTC battery for Date and Time in V2 that is soldered, or do I need to change both the super capacitors with no RTC battery for this version? I haven't opened up yet but seen the internals on youtube.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 22nd July 2019 at 13:00.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:50   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I had the same issue. I realised that the filter holder had expanded, something that would happen when plastic is heated.
Used little, but some pressure to bend it inside for a snug fit. Also try turning the lenses inside, as I found them having some sort of play.

My question: Anybody has an issue of Date and Time not staying put on their Viofi A119s? One set of my dashcam, seems to lose the date and time, if set up manually. As of now, it seems the GPS unit is managing the correct time and date, but when detached from the GPS unit, the dashcam seems to loose the settings. My question is, is there a RTC battery for Date and Time in V2 that is soldered, or do I need to change both the super capacitors with no RTC battery for this version? I haven't opened up yet but seen the internals on Youtube.

The CPL filter is intentionally kept loose so that the user may rotate the same, because a circular polarizer only cuts glare at certain degrees.

Quote:
As the science states, the maximum polarization effect takes place at an angle of 90 degrees from the sun that move in a circular band. This means that if the sun is at the top, you would get equally lit sky if you are shooting at an angle of 90 degrees from the sun.
source: https://digital-photography-school.c...ilter-how-use/

There should be an RTC battery inside - check the youtube videos and (if you are sure about what you are doing) open up the camera to check and replace.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:14   #2682
BHPian

Viofo is going ahead of my budget. Any recommendation below 4000 or so ?
Old 24th July 2019, 02:34   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Viofo is going ahead of my budget. Any recommendation below 4000 or so ?
Check out the B1W. You'll find it on AE.

Edit: Or A119 V2. Can be found on sale close to $60.

Last edited by harsh79 : 24th July 2019 at 02:36.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 12:40   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Can anyone guide me on rear camera setup in a hatchback? I already have a front dashcam and want to add an independent rear cam but I'm wondering where to place the camera which doesn't interfere with hatch opening?
You can set up the camera on rear windshield from inside. It need not be taken out during opening. Cable routing is little tricky but not that difficult. Refer my post at below link. The rear door of hatch is similar to SUV.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4409678 (My Ford Endeavour 3.2L 4x4 AT Titanium : Worthy contender for an urban SUV)

Last edited by Wanderers : 24th July 2019 at 12:54.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:11   #2685
Senior - BHPian

I tried bending it a few times, but it gave only temporary relief, so Ive gone to the tape.

For any issues with the Viofo A119 (your date stamp issue), try to upgrade the firmware.
I had a major issue with recording and this was fixed by a firmware update which was simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

My question: Anybody has an issue of Date and Time not staying put on their Viofi A119s? One set of my dashcam, seems to lose the date and time, if set up manually. As of now, it seems the GPS unit is managing the correct time and date, but when detached from the GPS unit, the dashcam seems to loose the settings. My question is, is there a RTC battery for Date and Time in V2 that is soldered, or do I need to change both the super capacitors with no RTC battery for this version? I haven't opened up yet but seen the internals on Youtube.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks