Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 16:43   #2206
BHPian

Guys, has anyone seen a model from the mainstream manufacturers or Ali Express sellers where the camera and the recording unit /battery is separate and connected via cable? More like a reversing camera set-up. I don't know why manufacturers are not bringing out such a model. This setup will be more inconspicuous and the battery unit also can be tucked away safely away from sun. Long back while on the lookout for a dashcam saw this type of model on a Korean website. But due to lack of reviews did not buy it and ended up buying Transcend DP200 which is serving me well.
Old 28th May 2018, 16:58   #2207
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Guys, has anyone seen a model from the mainstream manufacturers or Ali Express sellers where the camera and the recording unit /battery is separate and connected via cable? More like a reversing camera set-up. I don't know why manufacturers are not bringing out such a model. This setup will be more inconspicuous and the battery unit also can be tucked away safely away from sun. Long back while on the lookout for a dashcam saw this type of model on a Korean website. But due to lack of reviews did not buy it and ended up buying Transcend DP200 which is serving me well.
There are ones that use a capacitor rather than a battery and are not affected by the heat in the cabin when parked under the sun.
Old 28th May 2018, 17:16   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
Greetings brethren.

I ask the learned community for it's help with a query regarding dashcam installation.
The plot: I purchased a Viofo A119S and it has arrived with a sticker mount.
The twist: I'm planning to install 3M CR70 on the front windshield.
The happy ending: I install the dashcam after the CR70 installation and the CR70 will not peel off or wrinkle.
The okay ending: I install the dashcam and then proceed to install the CR70 by making a cutout in the film to accommodate the dashcam.
The satisfactory ending: I stick the dashcam onto a glass piece and then stick the piece onto the windshield. Sort of like how some users stick Fastags onto plastic pieces and then stick the sheet onto the windshield using Sellotape.
The bad ending: CR70 peels off (OR) CR70 becomes obviously visible to cops, who then proceed to harass me (OR) Dashcam falls off.

Also note: I got some spare adhesive stickers along with the package so I don't think that availability of spare tape is an issue; however, the reinstall could be cumbersome.

What do you feel might be the optimal way to proceed? Maybe there are more possibilities that I haven't thought of yet.
In my City, 3M people did not cover the black portion behind the IRVM while installing the sunfilm. That is where I have fixed my dashcam. However, I have used the adhesive sticker to fix my rear dashcam over the CR70, and it is holding without any problems for the past two months.
Old 28th May 2018, 17:20   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
There are ones that use a capacitor rather than a battery and are not affected by the heat in the cabin when parked under the sun.
You are right. Infact the one that I am using now is capacitor based.
Old 30th May 2018, 15:46   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Feel free to comment and pour in your suggestion on location or installation.
At what level is it mounted wrt eye-level?

And what's the black stuff in the frame the top-right and bottom-left edges?
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 19:45   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
Greetings brethren.

I ask the learned community for it's help with a query regarding dashcam installation.
The plot: I purchased a Viofo A119S and it has arrived with a sticker mount.
The twist: I'm planning to install 3M CR70 on the front windshield.
The happy ending: I install the dashcam after the CR70 installation and the CR70 will not peel off or wrinkle.
The okay ending: I install the dashcam and then proceed to install the CR70 by making a cutout in the film to accommodate the dashcam.
The satisfactory ending: I stick the dashcam onto a glass piece and then stick the piece onto the windshield. Sort of like how some users stick Fastags onto plastic pieces and then stick the sheet onto the windshield using Sellotape.
The bad ending: CR70 peels off (OR) CR70 becomes obviously visible to cops, who then proceed to harass me (OR) Dashcam falls off.

Also note: I got some spare adhesive stickers along with the package so I don't think that availability of spare tape is an issue; however, the reinstall could be cumbersome.

What do you feel might be the optimal way to proceed? Maybe there are more possibilities that I haven't thought of yet.
I have done CR70 on my windshield 3 years ago and since then using Transcend DP200 with suction mount in it. Absolutely no issues so far. The weight of the dashcam is not much to shear off the film. Take care to not stick the mount very close to the film edge. I keep about 5mm gap and so far no issues.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:34   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
At what level is it mounted wrt eye-level?

And what's the black stuff in the frame the top-right and bottom-left edges?
On the front camera, it shows central visor (band of black spots, so called third visor frit) behind rear view mirror. The camera is mounted on left of rear view mirror at top most part as I wanted to have this camera discreet. Its above eye level but tilted by at least 10 deg.
Bottom left is A pillar and dashboard shadow.

Last edited by Wanderers : 31st May 2018 at 09:47.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:39   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
The camera is mounted on left of rear view mirror at top most part as I wanted to have this camera discrete.
Great idea actually! And that too by sacrificing only a tiny bit of the field of view.
I think a more discretely mounted dash cam is a very sensible idea given our conditions.
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:54   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Great idea actually! And that too by sacrificing only a tiny bit of the field of view.
I think a more discretely mounted dash cam is a very sensible idea given our conditions.
Yes for me the discreetness of camera was of utmost importance. Also I did not want to show any wires around. For parking mode, I have configured to switch off all external led indicators to avoid any unnecessary attention.

A better position would have been on driver's side, at least I could have avoided the Fastag in the way but the option of front camera rotation in software was only available on software upgrade (done after installation) and not shown in manual, which I referred before installation. I did check internet and most of them said that due to a very large field of vision, it does not really matter if the camera is mounted off-center. In future I can shift the Fastag on right side but still behind rear view mirror.

Last edited by Wanderers : 31st May 2018 at 09:57.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:04   #2215
BHPian

Hi,

Please suggest what brand of USB cable to use, as I want to hide the wire as much as possible, currently I have a 2mtr Bandbridge cable for my elite i20. I want to use the car charger, and don't want to hardwire, so need something which is of good quality.
BR
Shailesh
Old 31st May 2018, 14:24   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Please suggest what brand of USB cable to use, as I want to hide the wire as much as possible, currently I have a 2mtr Bandbridge cable for my elite i20. I want to use the car charger, and don't want to hardwire, so need something which is of good quality.
BR
Shailesh
Since the USB cable is required only for charging purpose you can buy Voxlink or similar from Aliexpress.
You certainly need more than 2 metres to route the wire through roof and A pillar. Get 3 metre USB.
Old 31st May 2018, 14:45   #2217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

BR
Shailesh
22AWG, 3.5m

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...822337774.html
Old 1st June 2018, 07:27   #2218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, has anyone seen a model from the mainstream manufacturers or Ali Express sellers where the camera and the recording unit /battery is separate and connected via cable? More like a reversing camera set-up. I don't know why manufacturers are not bringing out such
One option is to uses power bank and dash cam combo. However switching off the dash cam may be a hassleas you may need to unplug it everytime.
Old 1st June 2018, 09:06   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, has anyone seen a model from the mainstream manufacturers or Ali Express sellers where the camera and the recording unit /battery is separate and connected via cable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
One option is to uses power bank and dash cam combo. However switching off the dash cam may be a hassles you may need to unplug it everytime.

One can use the power bank for dash cam. The blackvue have them and it can be used for any camera with 12 volts car charger plug. However to control on/off you need hard wire set-up which is linked to fuse box.

I suggest you buy a camera without battery or capacitor type and use blackvue power magic pro (only $ 25) to hard wire the dash cam. Power magic pro can be programmed in multiple ways for on/off and parking mode and can be used for any dash cam.
Old 1st June 2018, 14:45   #2220
Distinguished - BHPian

After reviewing my favorite near-misses on the road from my Viofo A119S' footage on my laptop, I feel like the dashcam records in a slight version of what you can call slow motion. Things happen much faster in the real world, but from the dashcam's PoV, it appears as if it's all serene and slow.

Has anyone else felt this way about their dashcam footage? Does it have something to do with the high frames-per-second? I have set it to record at 60 fps and digital route display boards on city buses are recorded funnily by the dashcam for instance; it appears as if there's constant disturbance on the digital board, whereas to the human eye (which views the world at 22 fps, if you would believe in popular wisdom) the same board appears okay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks