Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2018, 13:13   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
https://www.blackvue.com/ one of the finest dash cam guys, for car like Mini Cooper install this, they retail hardwire kit as well.
I checked Blackvue out and looks like they are serious about Dashcams, they are pretty high quality and priced on the premium side. But unfortunately, I can't find a remote trigger for the camera which is a big no-no for me, as I mentioned earlier it is almost impossible to reach the windshield with your hands in a Mini. Also, I don't really need 4K recording for regular use, it would be great for track days but looks like the quality isn't as good as Gopro which we normally use. Although a good option, I'll skip this because of price, lack of warranty at that price (in India) and no remote trigger on the DR750S models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you route the wire properly through the A pillar and then below the dash to centre console it won't be hanging. That's how it is my Ford Ecosport without teh hardwire.

Don't get 2 of them if you need a rear one. Ajaybiz has put up a link of Blackvue. They are the best. Get a proper 2 channel dashcam if you want front and rear.
I'm ok with 2 separate cameras operating separately rather than channel wires from front to back. The rear one is just an idea, I'll take a look into the boot if there is a lighter socket and if there is no potential to drain car battery if its left plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I had bought this based on Viddy's recommendation, and also posted a review on this thread. Here is a sample video from my cam, for your reference.
Thank you! Must have missed it for some reason. The Mini2 will be coming into the Mini Cooper for sure .

Also, there is another model which I had shortlisted because its OEM and won't have any issue with warranty but I think the design, functionality, and pricing leaves much to be desired hence have decided not to go for it.

Looks like they have rebranded some camera and didn't even bother changing much apart from slapping a Mini logo on it and making it cost 10x (I think this cost Rs 35,000 for both and 29,000 for just the front).

Last edited by quickdraw : 30th July 2018 at 13:15. Reason: Removed quoted video
Old 30th July 2018, 18:18   #2297
Team-BHP Support

Got a DDPai Mini2 based on Viddy’s suggestion and fixed it on the Tiago today.

I'm yet to go on a drive so no real-world footage yet. Will upload that in a day or two. Luckily, the Tiago's 12v socket is powered only when the key is inserted so I intend to leave the dashcam plugged in.

What came in the box:

- The camera
- One 2-pin USB 12v adapter (one port is 1A and the other 2.1A)
- Micro-USB cable
- Manuals and a couple of 3M double-sided tape bits

The camera has a distinct "Welcome to DDPai" audio when it is powered so that's the cue that it is recording. I'll admit, it's a little disconcerting that I can't see the camera playback. I'd have to connect my phone via Wifi and then check it on the app, which is cumbersome.

What I wish was different:

This camera is supposed to be stuck to the windshield using the 3M tape. I wish it had a suction type arrangement so that I could take the camera out when necessary (eg. car dropped off for service). Now, every time I need to take camera out, I'd probably need to ensure a spare piece of 3M tape.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-edd2a0e77f3343bbb93a115239333ab1.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-e2db7553740d47c49a29d4ad70b2a8f3.jpeg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th July 2018 at 18:25.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:20   #2298
BANNED

Quote:
This is where all of us got it from
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Got a DDPai Mini2 based on Viddy’s suggestion.
Which memory card are you guys using for the DDPai?
Old 30th July 2018, 18:30   #2299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I'm using a spare Transcend 16gb that I had from the Transcend DP220 I ordered last year. But I believe 32/64 gb should be more effective. Will order one after monitoring the playback for some time (to check how many hours it can retain).

As per the product description, it supports up to 128gb.
Old 30th July 2018, 19:37   #2300
Distinguished - BHPian

Had started this thread a long time ago. and then did not get around to contributing further! So I got a pair of dashcams, one of which I'd sent to my daughter in Australia. These were the Yi Ultra (I'll review them later), and she was averse to setting up the cam on her car's windscreen, because for some reason she wanted it to sit low down on the glass area, and the large screen seemed to block her view. So I started looking for something discreet which can be affixed to the lower edge of the windscreen, and came upon this: the Xiaomi 70mai English version with WiFi connectivity to mobile and voice command, but NO screen! Looked pretty sleek & discreet, and it was cheap (I paid Rs.2421 for it on Aliexpress, but that included the use of a discount coupon).

Judge the video quality for yourself:

SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 21:09   #2301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am using this one: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
The camera has a distinct "Welcome to DDPai" audio when it is powered so that's the cue that it is recording. I'll admit, it's a little disconcerting that I can't see the camera playback. I'd have to connect my phone via Wifi and then check it on the app, which is cumbersome.
You can uncheck this feature from the app but then you won't come to know if the cam turned on and is recording. I had removed it but once it didn't turn on and i didnt know till i wanted to download a video, so kept the welcome greeting back on.

Quote:

This camera is supposed to be stuck to the windshield using the 3M tape. I wish it had a suction type arrangement so that I could take the camera out when necessary (eg. car dropped off for service). Now, every time I need to take camera out, I'd probably need to ensure a spare piece of 3M tape.
Don't take it out. I make them write in job card. I tell them it's fixed with superglue and double sided industrial tape plus the wiring cant be removed. Toyota and Ford don't mind.

The suction ones are useless. They keep falling from the heat.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 06:34   #2302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
You can uncheck this feature from the app but then you won't come to know if the cam turned on and is recording. I had removed it but once it didn't turn on and i didnt know till i wanted to download a video, so kept the welcome greeting back on.
I just keep the volume turned down, so although it does sound the welcome note, its kinda discreet. Loud enough that you hear it, but low enough that it wont irritate or have passengers ask about it.

Between, the phone connects to it via wifi pretty quick, so i find it very convenient to just use the app to check playback etc.

Quote:

Quote:
Don't take it out. I make them write in job card. I tell them it's fixed with superglue and double sided industrial tape plus the wiring cant be removed. Toyota and Ford don't mind.

This was my gripe for a long time too. The original 3M tape provided lasted a few months and once the Australian summer hit us with a vengeance, the device kept falling off, saved only by the wiring which i have nicely snuck into the liner which kept it dangling. Took me quite a few attempts with different types of double sided tapes to get it to hold on, but with limited success.

Finally, I used an industrial strength tape, which held on to the glass really well. I realised the smooth surface area of the mounting area of the cam was what was resulting in the tape not holding on. So I super-glued a piece of paper to the device mounting area, and then got this to stick to the double sided tape. The increased friction has helped and its held on well since.

That said, i have done a neat install of the wiring, running it via the liner, and A Pillar and then over the steering to the 12V power supply in the console. Even my 9 year old daughter was impressed.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 09:10   #2303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you referring to suction mounts in general or those supplied with specific Dashcams?

I ask this because I have never had even a single instance of my Dashcam's suction mount fall from its place (Mine is good old Transcend). This includes parking recently in Gondia (MH) under 48 Degrees of external temperature where I was really impressed.

The suction mount is nearly as old as my car, approximately 4.5 years.

However, I have a very specific way of handling it after each wash/service. I clean up the inside of the windscreen with colin and wipe if dry fully. Then I just let a small drop of water spread across the surface of the suction mount and then fix it. But I do this only when I give my car for wash or after a periodic service.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 09:22   #2304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Are you referring to suction mounts in general or those supplied with specific Dashcams?
In general. I have 2-3 dashcam suction mounts that are useless now from my old dashcam and another 2-3 cell phone suction mounts from Samsung, iottie gel mount (from USA). All of them have stopped gripping.

I don't have underground or covered parking in the office so they barely last 2 years max. In the corolla which doesn't get parked in the sun, it works fine.

I switched to AC vent mount and 3M double sided in Ford and no issues at all.
Old 31st July 2018, 09:34   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In general. I have 2-3 dashcam suction mounts that are useless now from my old dashcam and another 2-3 cell phone suction mounts from Samsung, iottie gel mount (from USA).
Thankfully, None of the 3 suction mounts in my car have given up - MapMyIndia, Dashcam and Bergmann CellPhone holder.

In fact, I was talking to audioholic about how none of these 3 mounts got disturbed during our entire 2000 Kms drive recently. We kept removing the MapMyIndia device, kept removing the SD Card from Dashcam (and even adjusted the angle once too) while as usual I kept fixing my phone and back onto the holder.

This was with bad to very bad roads full of potholes.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:47   #2306
BHPian

Is there any app on Android, which can connect to both Yi Smart and DDPai Mini dashcam?

I have the Yi in the front and plan to add the DDPai at the rear. It would be quite convenient to have both of them in a single app.
Old 31st July 2018, 23:09   #2307
Senior - BHPian

Viofo released a new firmware (V3.9) for A119. I like the new "Boot delay feature" which I set as 15 seconds. It allows my car to complete self check and ignite the engine before camera boots up. Few times I had issues when the camera started during self check and immediately lost power at engine ignition, as capacitor takes some time for charging. 15 seconds delay will ensure that camera will boot up only after I start my engine. Good job Viofo
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 00:40   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Viofo released a new firmware (V3.9)

Hi,

Thanks I have been using the same and boot delay does help in avoiding video corruption. The best part about this is form factor, its hardly visible from outside.

I used this recently on a long trip and worked perfectly well. I still need to figure out why one video got corrupted.

Here is the view from distance

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20180713_082148_hdr.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-viofo-a119.jpg

Here is a video with CPL filter.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 11:08   #2309
BHPian

I have been using the DDpai Mini2 for a while now. Reasonable recording quality and does the job.

Basis dashcam video, has anyone here managed to prove their innocence in a road incident ?
Old 1st August 2018, 14:10   #2310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Basis dashcam video, has anyone here managed to prove their innocence in a road incident ?
Me.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...g-fleeced.html

Another one I can recollect:
narayanang76.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...d-dashcam.html
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks