Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 21:25   #1096
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Is there any customs clearance formality required for this product? If yes, please provide details. Thanks.
I didn't pay any thing, apart from the actual cost of the camera. As it turns out, one has to order from those sellers only who have previously sent good to india. That way, they usually don't mention things such as 'Car accessories' or something like that, which will cause the custom authorities to charge something.
allien936 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 19:01   #1097
BHPian

Guys, in March, I had ordered this from gearbest: http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_281602.html

However, when i received the product, i realized that it was crap, with video out of focus, number plates not being readable and loop recording not working. My experience was contrary to the glowing reviews on gearbest. I stopped using it and switched over to my YI action cam, that was lying around.

Two days ago, I raised this issue with gearbest and upon providing them with evidence of this cam's crappy quality, they are offering my the following options:

1. They will ship another unit of the same product for free
2. They will credit amount/ points in gearbest wallet- am not interested in this
3. They will refund the amount (~18 USD, instead of the 22 I had paid) to my paypal.

I definitely need a decent dashcam, yet, unwilling to pay 10- 12K for the likes of transcend. Should I opt for #3 and continue using my YI action cam (and make a mess of its battery and sensor life. Approximately Rs 1200 will get credit to my account. Not a huge sum by any means. I could use it to fund those blaunpunkt types (again mixed reviews). Alternatively, I could take a chance and opt for #1 and hope that a better unit is shipped this time.

Any suggestions?
Old 5th August 2016, 20:00   #1098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Any suggestions?
Even if you chose #1, do not expect the replacement to perform any better. At $17, lots of components would be cheap - the chipset would be a cheap one resulting in poor video quality, the lens would be plastic, lens mounting assembly would be plastic which will result in out of focus video due to deformation due to heat etc.

Given the three options you have listed, I would suggest take the refund and continue to use the present one (YI action camera). If you really need a good quality dashcam, then you will have to increase your budget.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 20:03   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Given the three options you have listed, I would suggest take the refund and continue to use the present one (YI action camera). If you really need a good quality dashcam, then you will have to increase your budget.
Thinking on similar lines. I barely use my action cam otherwise. This way, I will get some ROI. On the other hand, mini 0805 is selling at $64 (a flash sale is going on) on gearbest. Decisions....
Old 5th August 2016, 21:07   #1100
BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Do not go for Blaupunkt dashcam, i am using both BP and mini 0805. The video quality in BP is okay during sunlight, but it is useless in night time. Even during day time, sometimes (during cloudy conditions) it is diffuclt to read the number plate.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 21:39   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Do not go for Blaupunkt dashcam, i am using both BP and mini 0805. The video quality in BP is okay during sunlight, but it is useless in night time. Even during day time, sometimes (during cloudy conditions) it is diffuclt to read the number plate.
And how is the mini 0805. I especially want to read number plates, atleast during day and evening.
Old 5th August 2016, 21:44   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
And how is the mini 0805. I especially want to read number plates, atleast during day and evening.
I am quite happy with its performance, even during night time. After buying mini0805, i felt that i should have brought 0806 because of that CPL filter. But, as done by couple of BHPians, even i brought a CPL filter (for 10$) and fixed it myself. So, i have fixed mini0805 in the front and have put that BP one in the rear.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 22:00   #1103
BANNED

Quote:

I'll suggest the 0806 over 0805 for the kit which is complete.
Old 5th August 2016, 23:31   #1104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How about going in for 0826.I think except for the memory which is 64gb the overall package seems to be good.
Old 5th August 2016, 23:37   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What kit? I guess the only thing extra here is the CPL. The price difference between 0805 and 0806 is $40. I will pay that, if I have to, as long as I am convinced of the benefits.

Some obvious areas where 0806 wins over is:
1. Wider coverage (135 degrees v/s 120 degrees)
2. Higher capacity cards (useful for long trips)
3. Inclusion of a CPL (but I guess we can buy and install CPL separately)

I am unable to visualize benefits of the GPS on google map (most of my runs will be on National highways), lane departure warning etc. Maybe I will find them to be useful once I start using them.

The other thing is that I would be installing this on the XUV500. I feel that the windshield has an excessive curve. I do hope that the GPS/ bracket that is attached to the cam rotates sufficiently, so that the unit can be fixed without any hassles.

Edit: 0805 is retailing at $61, 0806 at $100, 0826 at $70 odd....

Last edited by ajayclicks : 5th August 2016 at 23:48.
Old 5th August 2016, 23:52   #1106
BANNED

Quote:
What kit?
I have seen sellers in AliExpress give hardwire kit also with memory cards in the 0806 cam bundle. I should have bought it from AliExpress rather than GearBest.

Do read this for difference between 0805 and 0806:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...sh-camera.8427

The dashcam mount rotates and has an nice range.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 00:39   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Are Aliexpress and Gearbest the only 2 sites for buying these dashcams? Aliexpress has more options at great prices but does not accept PayPal. Gearbest accepts PayPal but does not have the same range. And I want to buy only through PayPal.

Last edited by samaspire : 6th August 2016 at 00:40.
Old 6th August 2016, 00:51   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Gearbest accepts PayPal but does not have the same range. And I want to buy only through PayPal.
is it for protection? You can use a credit card that allows you to generate once use temporary cc numbers. This way your actual card will not be disclosed and you are safe(r).
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 07:10   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Has anyone bought this Dash Cam or have any views about it?

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_196898.html

Thanks
Hi,

Thanks for your post. You started me on my final dashcam quest. First I ordered this one which is super VFM. Then within the day, I discovered
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_392247.html ($90 vs $40 - yay for self-enable-ment).

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/...-boxes-of-2016 was what changed my mind. The video is actually somewhat usable in night time unlike the G1WCB which is just about okay.

Since the cost was just outside my max budget (6000), I went ahead with it. I wasn't going to spend like 14-20k on the dashcam.

Its already been shipped via Netherlands post (within 16 hours of my order!). Now the waiting game starts!

I really like GB's approach of keeping an image of the actual package as it was shipped in their order site (which otherwise is no comparison to AliExpress or DX). Just *feels* a bit nicer.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 18:13   #1110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
... ... ...Then within the day, I discovered
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_392247.html ($90 vs $40 - yay for self-enable-ment).

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/...-boxes-of-2016 was what changed my mind. The video is actually somewhat usable in night time unlike the G1WCB which is just about okay. ... ... ...
Thanks, I might go for that.

Aesthetically, I prefer the small cube or rectangle shapes, but this looks like a good choice at a not-prohibitive price

It is available with GPS in the mount at a slightly higher price. That also has the advantage that the power connection is via the mount, so the cam is easier to take in and out. (Yes, I watched the review movie!). But the software is surely going to be windows, and I don't fancy it even in a VM (Not sure that the flood actually left me my XP disc and readable licence. Not sure stuff still works with XP any longer. Am sure that I'm not buying a new version of Windows!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks