Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 08:17   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Great Ipod Thread - All Ipod and MP3 player related threads are merged here.

Finally after 10+ years Apple retired the iPOD classic the hard disk based MP3 player. Now its all flash. The question now is, where does one get such high capacity music player? Even with a 64GB size, one needs to pay huge for the ipod touch. And there also one is not paying for the music player but for other features. So what options one is left with?
Old 12th September 2014, 08:32   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Great Ipod Thread - All Ipod and MP3 player related threads are merged here.

@Amp, will a harddisk help ? You can use it as storage & let the HU process the songs.
Old 12th September 2014, 16:39   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
... So what options one is left with?
Here you go!

The Great iPod Thread-jugaad.jpg
Old 12th September 2014, 16:44   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So what options one is left with?
I would look at FiiO; it can play lossless too.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/inde...nuID=105026016
Old 12th September 2014, 17:08   #215
BHPian

I have a 2004 ipod classic 32 gb which doesnt get charged. I havent tried to repair it since i thought there is no use to it. What should i do with it? Any buyers out in the market for that?
Old 12th September 2014, 17:15   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an ancient (2008 actually) ipod Nano 16 GB on which I selectively load music periodically and play it exclusively in the car, where it always is. It's plugged into my JVC BT900 headunit all the time so charging also is taken care of and the quality is superb. I have a mish mash of stuff on there so some are good quality (320 kbps) while others not so good. I just bought a ton of CDs that I now want to load on and replace all my old stuff.

Questions to the gurus:
- How do I do this? (my usual way is to rip the CD at 320 kbps to MP3 using Windows Media Player- am sure there is a better way?)
- Do I need to upgrade my device? Fact is I am perfectly happy with it- even after 6 years it retains its shiny red goodness (I got a custom-engraved red pod exclusively available on Apple e-shop). But 16 GB is not too much- what are the not-so-pricey options available these days?
- I stopped using I-tunes after it once deleted all my media files during a sync. Now I just use Media Monkey or any other freeware to transfer files to the ipod in hard disk mode. Is there a better way to do this?
Old 12th September 2014, 17:46   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Here you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would look at FiiO; it can play lossless too.
Thanks Navin. Will look at it. When the whole world is running towards integrated devices, I am going the other way! I have a 4GB Nano, which I exclusively use for audio books. The device just fell into my lap. I am just using it this way.

My main music device is a 7 years 80GB Fifth generation iPod Classic. Its been running quiet well till date. When I saw this news that Apple is closing down on the classic, I was just thinking time is almost due for my iPod too. It can go off any time. (Esp battery). Hence looking at my options.

I am sure with flash, I may be able to get up to 64GB device for a decent price. I dont see anything in that segment. The brand I am looking it at is Cowon.

Alternatively the other thought process is get a normal 16GB nano and keep shuffling music. Contrary to the thought of carrying every thing, this would keep it fresh because I would churn the source and at least because of that I would play some thing new. In most cases we involuntarily end-up playing the same favourite songs most of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
- I stopped using I-tunes after it once deleted all my media files during a sync. Now I just use Media Monkey or any other freeware to transfer files to the ipod in hard disk mode. Is there a better way to do this?
Dont do auto-sync. Manually you can copy what you want to the device. Works well for me. I need the iTunes to copy audio books to the device. I also organises my music and books fairly well.

Last edited by ampere : 12th September 2014 at 17:48.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:36   #218

No sound when ipod is connected

Hi

I just got a VW Polo TSI. I used to connect my ipod classic and it played well. Of late, there is no sound when I connect my ipod to the Head Unit. Although, I am able to navigate the ipod through the head unit and the tracks also seem to play, I just don't get any sound.

FM Radio works perfectly well. Tried resetting my ipod, used different cables however it just doesn't seem to work.

Please advice.

Thanks and regards

Burjis
Old 5th December 2014, 15:52   #219
Senior - BHPian

Re: No sound when ipod is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjisp View Post
... I just got a VW Polo TSI. I used to connect my ipod classic and it played well. Of late, there is no sound when I connect my ipod to the Head Unit. Although, I am able to navigate the ipod through the head unit and the tracks also seem to play, I just don't get any sound. ...
Your expression is a bit ambiguous. Has this iPod worked in the Polo TSI earlier, or is it not playing at all since you first tried?

Dumb question: does that iPod play through headphones? Does the HU play any other Apple iDevice (iPod, iPhone, iPad)?

On the face of it, this sounds like a problem in the HU, not your iPod nor cables. Easiest way to check is to try playing tracks of a USB pendrive. If the HU doesn't play anything (and yet navigates directories), alas, your HU has a problem.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 16:26   #220

Quote:
Your expression is a bit ambiguous. Has this iPod worked in the Polo TSI earlier, or is it not playing at all since you first tried?

Dumb question: does that iPod play through headphones? Does the HU play any other Apple iDevice (iPod, iPhone, iPad)?

On the face of it, this sounds like a problem in the HU, not your iPod nor cables. Easiest way to check is to try playing tracks of a USB pendrive. If the HU doesn't play anything (and yet navigates directories), alas, your HU has a problem.
Hi

Thanks for the response. Yes, the iPod did play earlier. I didn't try to play other Apple devices on the Headunit. Also, I didn't try the iPod with headphones.

The good news is that it has started playing now without me doing any adjustments to either the iPod or the Head unit. So coming my fingers crossed it continues to work the way it is.

On a different note which is a good ICE device with navigation which seamlessly fits the Headunit space in the vehicle?
Old 5th December 2014, 16:39   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... On a different note which is a good ICE device with navigation which seamlessly fits the Headunit space in the vehicle?
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835. There are a couple of Pioneer and Kenwood models. I wouldn't recommend Caska, Motevo and such, as their sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 7th December 2014, 22:05   #222

Quote:
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835. There are a couple of Pioneer and Kenwood models. I wouldn't recommend Caska, Motevo and such, as their sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Thanks DerAlte. This appears to be a HeadUnit issue which I now need to sort out with VW. Have been reading on other forums (http://www.vwfansclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1114&p=11281) and realise that this issue is not uncommon.

On the Philadelphia 835 - a couple of questions:
Will the complete set of steering controls work with it?
If not, any additional modifications required for it to work?
Having decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the HU to Philadelphia, should one keep the stock speakers or change that as well?

Thanks Chief.

best regards

Burjis
Old 7th December 2014, 22:33   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Will the complete set of steering controls work with it?
If not, any additional modifications required for it to work? ...
Not sure. Check with Blaupunkt Cust Service or ASS.

Quote:
... Having decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the HU to Philadelphia, should one keep the stock speakers or change that as well? ...
Change the front speakers at least. Get a decent pair of components in front - matters a lot.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:46   #224

Quote:

I think I have been able to identify the cause of this issue. This happens when a Bluetooth device is connected / trying to connect to the HU. During such period, which might run indefinitely, until the car is switched off, the usb connection (in my case the ipod) although connected to the HU is silenced out. An ignition off / on at times resolves the problem. So it boils down to the Bluetooth module, I think.
However, the work around that I have identified for myself is not to connect my iphone to the Bluetooth when I want to play the ipod (two separate devices in my case). Thought of sharing this for the benefit of those who are also facing similar issues.

cheers

Burjis
burjisp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 05:37   #225
BHPian

Re: The Great iPod Thread

Let the sleeping thread wake up now

My ipod classic is dead. It cannot charge anymore since my son twiddled with the charging port. It is now a paper weight. And with over 100GB+ of songs, i am in the market for a new DAP. With FLAC files in the kitty, i am looking for a high res player. I have shortlisted 2 and i need expert comments on both

1. Sony NW A35 - 32GB with expandable storage to 128GB

2. Fiio X5 2nd Gen - with 2 expandable storage of 128GB each

Sony comes with a longer playtime - rated to about 40hrs + while FIIO comes with about 10 - 12 hrs, but 2 line outs, coaxial connect and a fairly good DAC.

Anyone has any opinions of these 2 post usage ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks