Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:38   #151
BHPian

What name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Guys - Got myself some damping from LBM (Noisekill), LBM advised me to go for 40" stuff for the front doors + boot - however decided to go frugal with damping and asked LBM to send only 20" of noisekill - which was enough to cover the front door panels and the boot metal panels.

So decided to look for a jugaad for the plastic trims. So I headed out in look for something I could use... Went to a number of foam suppliers but they had nothing which would serve the purpose in the long run.
This was done only on boot trim - and I'd have consumed abt 1.25" (60 Rs) of this stuff & 1 tube of araldite (65 Rs). so approx 125 Rs for 1.25 ft... not bad huh...
Good job Rohit, what was the local name of the material you used?
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:17   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
Good job Rohit, what was the local name of the material you used?
Well - it's the same material a cobbler would stick your soles with when it wears out... I went to a wholesale shop from where normally the cobblers buy their stocks & raw materials and got this sheet of rubber... I honestly don't know the name of the sheet... the only branded stuff used was ARALDITE
Old 9th March 2009, 12:03   #153
BHPian

good. will check where I can source it.
Old 8th August 2009, 17:26   #154
BHPian

I've been thinking of damping and/or setting up a thermal and sound insulation barrier in my car (an alto lxi) for a while now.
There are of course the usual branded ones Dynamat, Noisekill, Armasound, A-Z AudioComp etc, but these tend to be one the more expensive side for the discerning DIY-er. A-Z is around 150 per sq ft and Armasound (9mm) is about 650 per sq mtr.
I started looking at alternative materials. Two such materials that caught my eye were rubber mats (such as those used in camping) and fibreglass sheets. I chose fiberglass because not only does it have a higher melting point, it also insulates heat better. So, if I use it on the walls and floor of the cabin and boot, not only do I set up a sound barrier, but it also insulates the cabin from the outside heat (I live in Delhi!). Thereby, hopefully, my a/c will be more efficient (ergo better mileage).
I looked up a few dealers in and around Delhi and found one who would sell me 8mm thick sheets of fibreglass cloth for Rs 45 per sq mtr. The price difference is quite evident! What remains to be seen is the effectiveness of the material on the road. While fibreglass is used in insulating houses and cinema halls for sound and heat, I expect it to lose some of its effectiveness in a car.
Someone in a related thread had used the same in his Safari.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ght=fibreglass

Apparently, it was quite effective. Let's see if it does the same wonders to an alto. I'll be picking up the stuff tonight and tomorrow's the installation. Will post pictures and a blow by blow account.
Old 9th August 2009, 13:50   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post
I looked up a few dealers in and around Delhi and found one who would sell me 8mm thick sheets of fibreglass cloth for Rs 45 per sq mtr.
8mm is too thick I feel. You are talking about almost the entire cabin here.

And more over, how do you plan to fibreglass the roof? The resin will start dripping all over.

My suggestion, for the roof use those mats the AC guys use around the ducts. I have seen that some people buy the aluminium ducts as scrap with the insulator sheets around it. They remove the sheets and only take the metal (dont know what they do with the sheets later). If you can get to these guys, they will give you these sheets sufficient for 2 cars for about 200 rupees.

Sheets like like these
Alternative material for damping-2246_63374_opt.jpeg
Old 9th August 2009, 17:30   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
My suggestion, for the roof use those mats the AC guys use around the ducts. I have seen that some people buy the aluminum ducts as scrap with the insulator sheets around it. They remove the sheets and only take the metal (dont know what they do with the sheets later). If you can get to these guys, they will give you these sheets sufficient for 2 cars for about 200 rupees.

Sheets like like these
Attachment 171821
Are you referring to Glass wool with thin aluminum layer used in AC ducts. If yes Glass wool is a messy thing to handle and i don't recommend using it inside the car. If not it is some sort of felt material (i believe acrylic) which can be used but it may absorb moisture i am not very sure.

Last edited by mohang_j : 9th August 2009 at 17:32.
Old 9th August 2009, 18:00   #157
Senior - BHPian

The material is FELT. It can be glass based and will cause irritation if not put properly.
Old 9th August 2009, 18:53   #158
BHPian

I actually dont know what it is made of. I have just seen it from far
Old 9th August 2009, 19:44   #159
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post
I've been thinking of damping and/or setting up a thermal and sound insulation barrier in my car (an alto lxi) for a while now. I'll be picking up the stuff tonight and tomorrow's the installation. Will post pictures and a blow by blow account.
arjamaj,

Looking forward to pics of the install. Am keen to get this done in my Alto as well from the perspective of sound deadening. Also, can you let me know the total cost for this install?

Thanks in advance,
gpa
Old 10th August 2009, 12:08   #160
BHPian

Quote:
8mm is too thick I feel. You are talking about almost the entire cabin here.
8 mm is less than a cm. Think about a 1 cm increase in height of your carpet and a 1 cm reduction of space in your boot. That's barely negligible, isnt it? It wont be noticeable when you put it between the door panels. From the looks of it, there is plenty of space between the sheet metal and the plastic inner panel. And over time, the fibreglass will flatten itself out on the floor and the boot

Quote:
And more over, how do you plan to fibreglass the roof? The resin will start dripping all over.
Roof- hmm. I actually hadnt thought about soundproofing the roof yet. Not to worry, I'm sure I'll come up with something when the time comes. An instant thought is to sandwich the fibreglass between two thin rubber sheets and use the composite to line the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The material is FELT. It can be glass based and will cause irritation if not put properly.
This is what the dealer told me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
arjamaj,

Looking forward to pics of the install. Am keen to get this done in my Alto as well from the perspective of sound deadening. Also, can you let me know the total cost for this install?

Thanks in advance,
gpa
I'm really sorry, but I couldnt pick up the material last saturday. The dealer thought I wanted a 100 sq mt instead of 10 (which i think should be enough). So, I'll try and pick it up sometime over the week and have the installation done next weekend. Will certainly let you know the costs involved.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alternative material for damping

Bumping up an old thread.
This guy uses quick roof as a $16 alternative to Dynamat $160. claims no smell even at 90 degrees F. $16 gets you 6" x 26' i.e. 13 sq feet

seems quite promising. anyone tried it or even heard of it?
Old 5th October 2011, 19:07   #162
BHPian

Car manufacturers use some kind of greenish mat to reduce noise from the floor well. Any idea what it is and from where it can be procured ?
Old 1st February 2012, 11:37   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Bumping up an old thread.
This guy uses quick roof as a $16 alternative to Dynamat $160. claims no smell even at 90 degrees F. $16 gets you 6" x 26' i.e. 13 sq feet
But that's in US. I dont think that that stuff is available here.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:18   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But that's in US. I dont think that that stuff is available here.
true, it is available in the US but it can be brought over thru friends/relatives. could also got online I think. But my aim of posting was to see if anyone had any idea about this as it was way cheaper than the usual stuff.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:22   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

@Goandude, not worth it, IMO.

Rs 61 per sq ft. So far so good. But, now add shipping. And then taxes also - if you were to get the same across. That's what will make the pricing high.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks