Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 17:46   #31
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
There will be difference but not that good. Also the cotton will settle down in few day time it will not remain stiff. And every body is a noobie in some department.

Thanks LBM. I think that was a very good point. Now I have to save lots more that 200 bucks for damping the boot :-(
Old 17th March 2008, 17:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Thanks LBM. I think that was a very good point. Now I have to save lots more that 200 bucks for damping the boot :-(
Sorry to disturb your budget.
Old 17th March 2008, 23:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sorry to disturb your budget.
atlast i have made it to the ICE section.
slightly OT:

Our TV(BPL BZR25) has a woofer and the TV side panels used make those vibrating noises when the woofer is switched on. So i bought a 3 x 3 feet thermacol sheet of 1" thickness, i think it was for 30/- or 50/- and placed it under the TV. Surprisingly the vibrations reduced drastically.

Well does the thermacol work in the car. (only thing it cant be is being flexible i guess)

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 17th March 2008 at 23:53.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:34   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Our TV(BPL BZR25) has a woofer and the TV side panels used make those vibrating noises when the woofer is switched on. So i bought a 3 x 3 feet thermacol and placed it under the TV. Surprisingly the vibrations reduced drastically.

Well does the thermacol work in the car. (only thing it cant be is being flexible i guess)

raj.
what you have done is stop the cabinet under the TV from resoanting the panels are probably still resonating. to damp them youd have to s=place something heavy on top of them or use acoustic damping material like dynamat.

thermacol will work in the car it can also work as thermal insulation if used on the roof. but it is fragile.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:43   #35
BHPian

Roof Damping Material

Traditional Dynamat experience is to essentially increase weight on the panels to reduce vibrations. Sound / Vibration damping is the outcome.

Does that mean that thermal damping ( predominantly the objective for the roof ) will also be equally effective.

OR

Is there any other thermal damping material used primarily for roofs that can be procurred in Bombay.

With summer fast approaching and a few planned long drives expected - am keen to ensure a cooler ride - if possible.

All suggestions are most welcome.

Look forward
Old 18th March 2008, 10:57   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Does that mean that thermal damping ( predominantly the objective for the roof ) will also be equally effective.
Thermacol can be used for thermal insulation not for sound deading.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traditional Dynamat experience is to essentially increase weight on the panels to reduce vibrations. Sound / Vibration damping is the outcome.

OR

Is there any other thermal damping material used primarily for roofs that can be procurred in Bombay.
Thermal insulation sheets are easily available. Also known as heatlon.

These are not even close to the density of sound deadening materials. No point using them for damping.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:21   #38
BHPian

Hi B&T,

Where do you reckon I can acquire 'Heatlon' in B'Bay and will these dealers also have them implemented on the car roof.

Any indicative prices, please.

I clearly do not intend to use them for damping. Only for thermal insulation.

Thank you & look forward.

Cheers cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Thermal insulation sheets are easily available. Also known as heatlon.

These are not even close to the density of sound deadening materials. No point using them for damping.
Old 18th March 2008, 11:25   #39
BHPian

Earlier I was avoiding damping my car due to budget constraints , but after going through this thread it seems that damping can be pretty affordable too , especially Fonomat , and I plan to go ahead with it as soon as I get hold of my new amp (KAC9104 probably) .

I have noticed that the hatch door of my Alto rattles a lot when all windows are closed and the sub is on full blast. I have got a 12inch sub in a sealed box that sits facing toward the hatch door. But i guess damping will take care of it.

Can someone let me know the approx price of getting the front two doors and rear hatch of my Alto damped with Fonomat ??
Old 18th March 2008, 13:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where do you reckon I can acquire 'Heatlon' in B'Bay and will these dealers also have them implemented on the car roof.

Any indicative prices, please.
Heatlon is perfect for heat insulation. It is a greyish material used to cover the split aircon pipes also.

I think anyone who does car top fittings should be able to help you out. It is available in various thicknesses. Based on your car, they should be able to help you select the appropriate thickness.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:31   #41
BHPian

I think the best alternative to commercially available damping would be self-adhesive rubber sheets.

Shrivz has damped his car with sheets he got from a tyre shop (IIRC this was posted in the 'car advice from the gurus' thread)

However such rubber sheets are not easily available everywhere.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post
Earlier I was avoiding damping my car due to budget constraints , but after going through this thread it seems that damping can be pretty affordable too , especially Fonomat ,

Can someone let me know the approx price of getting the front two doors and rear hatch of my Alto damped with Fonomat ??

What is the price of fonomat you are getting.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:15   #43
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
what you have done is stop the cabinet under the TV from resoanting the panels are probably still resonating. to damp them youd have to s=place something heavy on top of them .
Hi kkr2k2. Pls don't flame me for this - you can even place a brick on top and that will serve the purpose.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Hi kkr2k2. Pls don't flame me for this - you can even place a brick on top and that will serve the purpose.
hahahaaaa.... good one.

when navin said to put something heavy on top, considering the horizontal area on the TV what came to my mind is a stone, what a coincidence!!!

On the serious note, can some one suggest a better thing, ... wait!! How about a Stabilizer? Does it qualify to be a heavy thingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I think the best alternative to commercially available damping would be self-adhesive rubber sheets.

Shrivz has damped his car with sheets he got from a tyre shop (IIRC this was posted in the 'car advice from the gurus' thread)

However such rubber sheets are not easily available everywhere.
can anyone put some light on this.

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 18th March 2008 at 17:05.
Old 18th March 2008, 17:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
can anyone put some light on this.

raj.
Sorry, it was in another thread.

Here's the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...tml#post430338

If only we could find out where else these sheets are used, it would be much easier to source them.

Read this post and the ones after that.

Last edited by adityamunshi : 18th March 2008 at 17:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks