Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2008, 00:48   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
Guys I have seen Shrivz get a neat damping done with some alternative 2-sided glue rubber, he got form his tyre wallah!

Hmm, he should be the best one to say where he got it form? what it was made off? what brand etc etc?
Hey.. sorry for the late reply.. had my exams going on..

I managed to procure a butyl rubber compound from the trye guy. They use it for patching punctures on tubes and usually stock them as small sheets, which they cut according to the size of the puncture.
It wasnt a branded product as such.

here's my post in the damping material and sound deadner thread:

Quote:
I recently visited my tyre-wallah to get a puncture fixed and spotted something interesting..
It was double side adhesive rubber sheet. The sheet was about 1mm thick and seemed similar to feel like the butyl rubber suspension on speakers. I've placed an order for 5kgs (yes, thats how they sell it).. It should be approximately a 9" x 300" roll and it costs Rs. 1050/-
I will be getting it on monday..

I also went on a hunt for Crosslink foam, as I realised that the foam I used in the door was poly foam / heatlon and wasnt that effective.. I finally managed to track down one seller who all other shops recommended. F Gulam Ali in Bhoriali. He had just 5 sheets of one side adhesive crosslink foam 3mm thick, bargained a bit and picked up all five for Rs. 1000/-
Old 13th April 2008, 08:44   #92
BHPian

The kind of sheets shrivz used are very difficult to get. Ive been to all the tyre walas in my city and the best i could get was a sheet of smelly vulcanizing rubber. I did buy it but i dont think it would be wise to use it for damping.

Quote:
Guys I have seen Shrivz get a neat damping done with some alternative 2-sided glue rubber, he got form his tyre wallah!

Hmm, he should be the best one to say where he got it form? what it was made off? what brand etc etc?
Old 13th April 2008, 11:44   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post

I managed to procure a butyl rubber compound from the trye guy. They use it for patching punctures on tubes and usually stock them as small sheets, which they cut according to the size of the puncture.

Shrivz it would be great if you can post pics of your install, to clarify the idea of "How to install the compound". As i have spoken to my tyre guy which can procure me the material, if needed.

Cheers
Old 14th April 2008, 10:06   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
We do not tolerate adusive language on TBHP.
my aplogies to the mods!!
Old 14th April 2008, 10:43   #95
BHPian

Is there a special name for it ? I could not find it inspite of asking around everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Shrivz it would be great if you can post pics of your install, to clarify the idea of "How to install the compound". As i have spoken to my tyre guy which can procure me the material, if needed.

Cheers
Old 14th April 2008, 11:17   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post

hey mate...realy appreaciate your enthu for finding the alternative...but i have some serious doubts...no offensed though...

1. at 5Kg for 9"x 300" which is approx 18.5 sq feet plus some foam..which means your are approx adding 2.5 kg to each of your door (iam assuming that your are dampening your front two doors only)...bro 2.5 kg for each door is a bit too much of weight..before getting my swift dampened..i had a talk with a friend who works at Maruti and was responsible for testing the vehicle...he was sceptical about using NoiseKill for dampening the doors...since the door hinges can't take on that weight..

2. Secondly, making your stuff for dampening..although gives you immense satisfaction but you are already spending rs 2100 on the material that you have never used before and if God forbid, it doesnt work out the way you have planed your are gonna spoil your ride....you can get the tried and tested stuff (noise kill) @ 150 per sq feet...and belive me they are magic sheets..

Ayways..i hope all this is taken in a positive note..
All the best...
Old 14th April 2008, 11:31   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
at 5Kg for 9"x 300" which is approx 18.5 sq feet plus some foam..which means your are approx adding 2.5 kg to each of your door...since the door hinges can't take on that weight..
Ask your friend, how much does each door weigh in stock condition. I would assume atleast 10kgs. In this case I would keep damping weight to 10% of the stock door weight.
Old 19th April 2008, 21:31   #98
BHPian

What is the carpet like damping material used by car manufacturers ?

There are two kinds of OE damping in my indica. Some parts like the floor have a layer of thick carpet over a soft fluffy material.

The firewall has a 1.5 cm thick foam like material. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 23rd April 2008, 18:29   #99
BHPian

Finally bought some sheet rubber today and tried it out and Initial signs are positive .

Ill post pics in my thread later tonight.
Old 28th April 2008, 11:15   #100
BHPian

Tonight has passed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Finally bought some sheet rubber today and tried it out and Initial signs are positive .

Ill post pics in my thread later tonight.

dude,

please post pictures, we are all waiting to know what you have come up with.
Old 28th April 2008, 11:30   #101
BHPian

I'Ve mondeo Guys.. no noise in car...i have noticed one thing they have some good 2-3mm thick layer all over the bottom of car (looks like fibre glass kind of thing but lil soft)..it seems to me that that might work if you put something waterproof stuff on the bottom and in your engine area as those are the point of noise generation..so jus a suggestion may be it'll work..
Old 28th April 2008, 11:53   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondymk3 View Post
I'Ve mondeo Guys.. no noise in car...i have noticed one thing they have some good 2-3mm thick layer all over the bottom of car (looks like fibre glass kind of thing but lil soft)...
Interesting! Could you please post photographs of the material?
Old 28th April 2008, 12:08   #103
BHPian

Already posted 'tonight'

Here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...tml#post806922

Quote:
dude,

please post pictures, we are all waiting to know what you have come up with.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:44   #104
BHPian

i Dont think by pics you can make out anythin. But will definately post some soon. Plus i would like to add something more, firstly we should identify the source of generation of noise and than we should plan the remidy for that. As per me there are following noise generation point in the car:
1. Engine
2. Road humming noise thru tyres while running.
Remidy
1. as we have seen in mostly new car to dampen the noise they cover the inside of bonnet with acarpet type material like they have in Swift. if we provide that material all over body around engine it'll surely help in reducing and that material is also must be easy to find through OEM and in normal market too.
2. regarding tyres noise i think it's better to have some weather proof materialpasted under the body as well area around tyres. that will help.

Rest one more thing which really helps in reducing noise level in general conditions (not in cars) is providing a air gap between the body and the dampening material. I'm not sure if this can be achieved in cars.but if done it'll reduce noise drastically.
Old 30th April 2008, 14:32   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i Dont think by pics you can make out anythin. But will definately post some soon. ...
Oh sure, one can make out! Looking forward to your pics.
Quote:
Rest one more thing which really helps in reducing noise level in general conditions (not in cars) is providing a air gap between the body and the dampening material. I'm not sure if this can be achieved in cars.but if done it'll reduce noise drastically.
And how exactly would that happen?

Last edited by DerAlte : 30th April 2008 at 14:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks