Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 14:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

The effort to put these rubber sheets will be more than buy noise skill at 150 persqft.
Old 30th March 2008, 15:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
However one shop had a roll of thin neoprene, no smell, light weight, flexible and Rs110 per kg. It was perfect in all ways except that it wasnt self adhesive
Exactly the reasons why it will not work! Self-adhesive is the least of the worries, what you need is dense material which has enough weight per unit area to act as a damper. Yes of course you can apply it with rubber-adhesive, except it takes a LOT longer to complete the job. First get proper damping material.

If ready-made damping material is not available in Baroda, get it from Mumbai.

If you are worried about the cost, you can
a. minimize the area on which you need to stick it (treat large areas not interrupted by a bend, fold, or stiffener) or
b. use appropriate alternate materials, such as
* 'tar felt' (layers of paper and jute bonded with tar-based material; use for roof sealing; limited flexibility; contains mica filler to stabilize tar so that it doesn't melt and ooze out in hot weather)
* closed cell foam stuffed in areas which have a mechanical support (metal straps, another metal sheet) close by
Old 30th March 2008, 16:30   #63
BHPian

Hi deralte

Its not about the cost or getting proper damping here. The problem is that im selling this car off in 6 months max.

There's no point in wasting any amount of proper damping on it. There were atleast 20 different grades of rubber there, ill look for something else and I'll also try and look for the alternatives you suggested.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Exactly the reasons why it will not work! Self-adhesive is the least of the worries, what you need is dense material which has enough weight per unit area to act as a damper. Yes of course you can apply it with rubber-adhesive, except it takes a LOT longer to complete the job. First get proper damping material.

If ready-made damping material is not available in Baroda, get it from Mumbai.

If you are worried about the cost, you can
a. minimize the area on which you need to stick it (treat large areas not interrupted by a bend, fold, or stiffener) or
b. use appropriate alternate materials, such as
* 'tar felt' (layers of paper and jute bonded with tar-based material; use for roof sealing; limited flexibility; contains mica filler to stabilize tar so that it doesn't melt and ooze out in hot weather)
* closed cell foam stuffed in areas which have a mechanical support (metal straps, another metal sheet) close by
Old 30th March 2008, 17:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I couldnt find self adhesive sheets

However one shop had a roll of thin neoprene, no smell, light weight, flexible and Rs110 per kg. It was perfect in all ways except that it wasnt self adhesive.

Is it possible to stick it with a rubber based adhesive ? And if i do that what should i use to apple pressure until the adhesive cures ?
My friend, neoprene will NOT do the job!

as DerAlte has mentioned, you need something dense which will be heavy!

If you are selling the car soon, don't bother with damping it!
Old 30th March 2008, 17:43   #65
BHPian

I guess i'll look around a bit more for self adhesive butyl rubber sheets. If i cant find them i shall drop the damping all together, alteast for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
My friend, neoprene will NOT do the job!

as DerAlte has mentioned, you need something dense which will be heavy!

If you are selling the car soon, don't bother with damping it!
EDIT : Gunbir mentioned something about using waterproofing materials as an alternative at the beginning of this thread. Can anybody explain further ?
(Here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post276899 )

Last edited by adityamunshi : 30th March 2008 at 17:47.
Old 30th March 2008, 17:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Moreover, I've noticed that in many cases its things like the power window assembly which rattle rather than the door itself.

Ideally eliminate all these rattles first. One could use a filler like silicon rubber around the screws / bolts.
Only after getting rid of these rattles should you contemplate the need for damping.
Silicon rubber is used extensively for waterproofing applications, it doubles in the case of damping. Basically, you could look out for liquid sealants, asphalt based or rubber based.

Its going to be a really messy job working with liquid products!

Last edited by shrivz : 30th March 2008 at 18:01.
Old 30th March 2008, 20:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not about the cost or getting proper damping here. The problem is that im selling this car off in 6 months max.

There's no point in wasting any amount of proper damping on it. ...
Right, if you are selling there is scarcely any logic to put money in serious damping at all. Do the "sasta, sundar aur tikau" thing:

* Get some closed-cell foam sheets, masking tape and bulk araldite
* Try to figure out which places vibrate the most in the door inner pads (your fingertips would be the best sensors)
* Stick the cc foam on the door pad inside with araldite. When the araldite hardens stiff, it will itself provide some damping with the cc foam
* Roll some closed cell foam and stick them to the inner metal part of the door, in a way that the door pad would press the foam when fitted back. Tape the roll down after applying araldite, so that it does not fall away
* Get some masking tape and stick loose cables down wherever you feel they may cause a rattle
* Ditto for the boot
Old 30th March 2008, 21:02   #68
BHPian

I am going to use Flashing Tape which is way cheaper than Dynamat and probably have to put 3 to 4 layers to get the result of Dynamat Extreme and its still cheaper than Dynamat Extreme.

Flashing tape I got was 150mm and 10metres roll. Got it for 11 GBP i.e., 880 Rs. and is sufficient for dooors easily. Will be putting it next weekend and will tell the results..
Old 31st March 2008, 10:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
I am going to use Flashing Tape which is ...
What is "Flashing Tape"? What makes you infer that this tape will deliver performance equivalent to Dynamat Extreme even with any number of layers?
Old 31st March 2008, 15:15   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is "Flashing Tape"? What makes you infer that this tape will deliver performance equivalent to Dynamat Extreme even with any number of layers?
[COLOR=#000000]Flashing Tape s a self adhesive tape, comprising of an aluminium foil backed by a flexible modified bitumen adhesive compound. It is used for the repairing of pipes, joints, glazing systems etc.[/COLOR]

Ideally Dymanat Extreme is what I would have used or anyone for that matter, but thie point is budget deadening.

I mainly took this for the cost effective reasons and moreover I dont want to spend much on my car which I am sure of upgrading it in a year. And I am expecting a decent sound thats it..

And I did read in some forums that 3-4 layers does make considerable difference. The effective part may not be near Dynamat Extreme, but we are talking abt cheapest option and if effectiveness is required, I would definately go for Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro kit from Second Skin.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:06   #71
BHPian

Is it available in India ? If yes, where ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
[COLOR=#000000]Flashing Tape s a self adhesive tape, comprising of an aluminium foil backed by a flexible modified bitumen adhesive compound. It is used for the repairing of pipes, joints, glazing systems etc.[/COLOR]

Ideally Dymanat Extreme is what I would have used or anyone for that matter, but thie point is budget deadening.

I mainly took this for the cost effective reasons and moreover I dont want to spend much on my car which I am sure of upgrading it in a year. And I am expecting a decent sound thats it..

And I did read in some forums that 3-4 layers does make considerable difference. The effective part may not be near Dynamat Extreme, but we are talking abt cheapest option and if effectiveness is required, I would definately go for Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro kit from Second Skin.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:25   #72
BHPian

I dont think so?? This is especially made for colder countries where the roof outlets are sealed off to prevent leakage. Google around and you will see how many have used this as an alternative deadening material in their cars. I can provide links of the installs also but dunno if its appropriate to post link of other forums.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Oh, OK, it is a more sophisticated equivalent of "tar felt"!

Sure, it should work, as long as it feels heavier than neoprene and other rubber sheets per unit area. Even it is twice as heavy as ordinary rubber sheet of same dimensions, you will be close to ideal in 2 layers, 3 layers being even better.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:17   #74
BHPian

hi folks...i am not new to this forum since i have been tracking this section for quite some long but this is my first post.
I have a Swift with Pio 5050+ MTX Compos(TXC 6.0) in the front door and Kenwood (KFC-HQ718)in the rear.I am quite satisfied with the sound quality but the only issue is the rattling of the front doors. I have been looking for decent value for money dampening material since the front door rattle a lot. Any idea from where i can procure Noise Kill in Delhi or NCR regions.
Would appreaciate any kind of help.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Though damping reduces rattling, it is more by way of the nip-and-tuck that takes place during applying damping.

If you facing rattling, like "a couple of small stones in a plastic bottle" type, have someone open the door pads and tape the lose cables and wires down. Also check if there is any play in the window winding mechanism and the latch / lock mechanism.

Once you have got these problems sorted out, you can invest in damping - which will reduce / remove the annoying buzzes, the squeaks and the trrrr's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks