Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2016, 10:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Thanks Gannu ! Since the new polo is coming with electrically folding ORVM's do you think we can enable 'Auto folding' via VCDS ?
Unless the front window controllers are changed, you cannot do that via VCDS. The links you've given works for the Jetta here.

The cheaper method is to use an additional electronic module (available on Aliexpress for as low as 12 USD) to be powered and wired with the locking system.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 10:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Unless the front window controllers are changed, you cannot do that via VCDS. The links you've given works for the Jetta here.

The cheaper method is to use an additional electronic module (available on Aliexpress for as low as 12 USD) to be powered and wired with the locking system.
Thanks a lot. Can we use Jetta window controllers on Polo ?
Old 27th February 2016, 11:26   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Thanks a lot. Can we use Jetta window controllers on Polo ?
Nope they are different. Different construction and connectors.
Old 29th February 2016, 18:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Gannu - how easy / difficult should it be to swap the RCD 320 in a Jetta CL with the 330 listed on Aliexpress ? I am hoping it's a simple swap - any idea ?
Old 5th March 2016, 21:03   #20
BHPian

During the delivery of my Polo yesterday, my wife asked what the voice command button on the stearing wheel was for, to which the sales person mentioned that there would be a firmware upgrade available from the Volkswagen website that would add some functions linked to the new HU and that it would be released soon. I double checked and he seemed to be confident about this. He had no clue about what it adds or fixes though.
Old 19th March 2016, 12:14   #21
BHPian

Thank you rajeev for the review and pictures of the RCD330G. It doesnt really seem like a VFM upgrade from the rcd320. No navigation, no reverse cam, crippled resolution makes it a bummer.

Quote:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Side-...9-274c12d222a9

gannu is this the one youre talking about? if not could you post a link please?
Old 27th March 2016, 17:46   #22
BHPian

I am facing an issue with importing my contact list from my Xperia Z2 which is running Android L. Only specific contacts from my phone have been imported to the HU. Is there a limit to the number of contacts to be imported? I have around 700~800 contacts in my phone book.
Old 4th April 2016, 20:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Nope they are different. Different construction and connectors.
Hello Gannu,

Do you think this module will work ? By any chance do you have the part number for existing window controllers on Polo GT ?

http://www.vagtune.in/volkswagen/vw-...959793a-detail
Old 5th April 2016, 12:48   #24
BHPian

One more issue observed, Google Maps only works when vehicle is standing still, the moment it starts moving the screen goes blank saying app not available. Any idea how to get past this?
Old 5th April 2016, 13:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
One more issue observed, Google Maps only works when vehicle is standing still, the moment it starts moving the screen goes blank saying app not available. Any idea how to get past this?
I don't think you can get past that. Only certain MirrorLink Certified Apps will work in motion and as far as I know, Google Maps does not fall under this category. I think Sygic Maps will work.

The sample video that I posted in this post also states the same.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 20:18   #26
BHPian

Today I noticed a funny thing. When i started google maps and turned on the navigation feature, the turn by turn voice navigation wasnt working.

After checking up the settings, i noticed that as soon as my phone pairs with the head unit, google maps automatically enables "play voice over bluetooth" thats under the navigation settings.

Unfortunately the voice navigation doesnt play now through the phone (obviously) but it doesnt play via the car speakers either, whether the head unit is on or off.

If the head unit is off and you make a call from your phones interface, the sound gets routed automatically via the car speakers.

Any idea if its possible to get Gmaps to output the sound via the car speakers?

Last edited by nova9 : 21st April 2016 at 20:19. Reason: typo
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:25   #27
BHPian

Hello BHP-ians,

This is my first post on TBHP..!!!

I got delivery of my New Vento TSI on 8-April-2016. Ownership thread coming in a couple of weeks.
To be honest, I had high expectations from the RCD 330 HU. It turned out to be just average. I am not saying it is bad or useless. It could've been better, without VW having to spend a lot of money on it. Here is my quick review on the unit.

Pros:
1. Touch Screen
2. Bluetooth compatibility
3. Buttons/Knobs are good quality and good to press/turn.
4. Good Integration with the phone. It automatically downloads the Phonebook and recent call list. (I've got an iPhone 6)
5. The mic on the HU is quite sensitive and delivers good sound quality on the other end of the call. I was able to seamlessly talk while driving without having to turn my face in the direction of the mic to talk.
If you make a call from the Phone connected to the HU, you get an option (on the phone) which enables you to direct your call to the Car BT or the Phone. (Not sure how it would work on an Android handset.) This is especially useful when you want to have a private conversation and you have people in your car and your phone is connected to the HU. This way you can use your phone directly without having to disconnect from the HU. I think this is more to do with the phone than the HU itself.

Cons:
1. Average sound quality (May be below average. Speakers to blame ? May be.)
2. No RVC integration.
3. No GPS.
4. No OPS support. (Someone with the OPS Sensors need to confirm this)
5. No much options to play with the Equalizer settings.
6. The A2DP does not work sometimes.

Features yet to be tested:
1. Mirror Link
2. Ipod integration and interface through AUX and USB.

I will add more review comments as and when I come across anything interesting.

Thanks for reading. Cheers..!!
Mitz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 19:34   #28
BHPian

Had my first problem with this unit. I use a Blackberry classic, and had paired the same
with the unit. Today, while having the sunfilm was being installed, I had a few calls which I picked up on the handset and then transferred the control to handset. After a few calls I decided to switch off the bluetooth on the mobile, and was using it. Then when I got the vehicle ready, I switched on the bluetooth, and started driving. It was then that I noticed that it was showing a message that a particular number was calling. When I tried cancelling it, nothing happend, even re-starting the phone did not help. I tried powering off the system, and it did not happen. But all the other functions were working fine, I could change tracks from the SD card, I could change stations. IT was just the phone module that was not responding. I tried resetting the system back to factory default, and it would not happen. Finally stopped the car, removed the key, and after sometime, held the power button down until it powered-off, and restarted on the own, without any key. Then put the key in and turned own, it was back to normal. Checked it by removing the key and the system powered down without issues. Yet to check if the phone is getting connected, since the BB battery died by then.

Anybody else faced any similar situation. I am not sure if that is the cause. The only other thing could be changing of the number plate bulbs and the footwell bulbs to LED, while the system was in use. But connecting these two seemed a bit extreme.
Old 30th April 2016, 17:43   #29
BHPian

I faced similar problem with A2DP function being moody. Just couldn't figure out when and why it happens..!!

As I continue using the system, I made a few more observations:
1. Plugged in a 32GB USB drive for the first time to check how user friendly the interface is. Well, it was disappointing to find out that there is no way to change the folder using HU or Steering controls..!! All you can do is change tracks. Quite surprising, considering that the most basic after market HU are capable of changing/skipping the folders.
2. There is no way to scroll the tracks using the steering controls. You have to rely on the tiny scroll bar on the HU. Not very user friendly if you want to play your favorite tracks while driving and the sluggish touch screen makes it all the more annoying, especially if you have to scroll through hundreds of tracks on a folder.
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Hello BHP-ians,

This is my first post on TBHP..!!!

I got delivery of my New Vento TSI on 8-April-2016. Ownership thread coming in a couple of weeks.
To be honest, I had high expectations from the RCD 330 HU. It turned out to be just average. I am not saying it is bad or useless. It could've been better, without VW having to spend a lot of money on it. Here is my quick review on the unit.

Pros:
1. Touch Screen
2. Bluetooth compatibility
3. Buttons/Knobs are good quality and good to press/turn.
4. Good Integration with the phone. It automatically downloads the Phonebook and recent call list. (I've got an iPhone 6)
5. The mic on the HU is quite sensitive and delivers good sound quality on the other end of the call. I was able to seamlessly talk while driving without having to turn my face in the direction of the mic to talk.
If you make a call from the Phone connected to the HU, you get an option (on the phone) which enables you to direct your call to the Car BT or the Phone. (Not sure how it would work on an Android handset.) This is especially useful when you want to have a private conversation and you have people in your car and your phone is connected to the HU. This way you can use your phone directly without having to disconnect from the HU. I think this is more to do with the phone than the HU itself.

Cons:
1. Average sound quality (May be below average. Speakers to blame ? May be.)
2. No RVC integration.
3. No GPS.
4. No OPS support. (Someone with the OPS Sensors need to confirm this)
5. No much options to play with the Equalizer settings.
6. The A2DP does not work sometimes.

Features yet to be tested:
1. Mirror Link
2. Ipod integration and interface through AUX and USB.

I will add more review comments as and when I come across anything interesting.

Thanks for reading. Cheers..!!
It's almost the same for iPhone users as it doesn't support Mirror Link. My dealer told me that it's just similar (RCD320) HU with touchscreen. At the time I bought my car they didn't have RCD330G and if opted for that one I had to wait for over a month so I chose not to wait and I'm happy with what I got as I have iPhone (no Mirror Link support). Later on I can upgrade it to Ameo's HU that has rear view camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks