Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 13:36   #1
BHPian

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City

The purpose of this write up is to review the localized aspects, where as the YouTube video below is about the generic aspects of this unit. Got the Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT installed a couple of weeks back in my 4 yr old Honda City. There are no online reviews for the India unit in Youtube as this a new launch. Its a 7" clear resistive touch screen unit supporting both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in addition to Bluetooth and Appradio stack. The US equivalent system's review is available here:

The difference is no Sirius XM, HD Radio, idatalink Maestro input for the indian version. But the India version has offline phone navigation, internet radio and Todorki equalizer, which compensates for these missing features. This write up focuses on these localized aspects.

Why I chose this unit:
My essential requirement is that I want an OS of my choice to drive the in-dash functionality, rather than the OS of in-dash unit itself. Pioneer AVH Z5090BT is advertized as supporting phone driven MapMyIndia + CarPlay. That completes my requirement.

1. Navigation using MapMyIndia:
CarPlay navigation is not available in India, as Apple does not support both Google and Apple maps. I have a company issued iPhone which I am stuck with. My phone is the bottom-of-the-barrel iPhone 5s, on iOS 10.x.x. I have not upgraded to iOS 11 yet.

Steps to bring phone driven offline maps of MapMyIndia to in-dash:

One time activities:
- Install Navimaps on your phone using App Store (Voice guidance is about 600rs).
- Buy the car connectivity key from MapMyIndia, which costs about 1,400 INR. Right now, Pioneer offers it for free, but didnt work for me.
- Install Pioneer Appradio app on your phone (not Appradio Live App - which is a differrent story).
- Enable location services(for map), and Bluetooth (for Phone functions), and 4G data (for live traffic).

Post the above set up:
- Start your car, Unlock the Phone and Connect it to dash unit using the charge/sync cable.
- Open Navimaps on your phone. Navimaps will automatically detects the in-dash unit and projects itself to the dash unit. Takes about 5 seconds.

Name:  MMI_Notification.PNG
Views: 34440
Size:  34.2 KB

Its a different app on the dashboard now. You can do all the essential things such as search and select destination, and navigate. The map mode disables everything else (CarPlay, Android Auto). The phone can not be locked now. You can listen to music using the Bluetooth audio, or iPod mode. You can make and receive calls using Bluetooth while the map is running.

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-mmi.png

Some notes:

a. If you have paired an external GPS with your phone using Bluetooth, then you will face issues in maintaining BT connectivity with Pioneer Unit. Not sure which one is the weak link here.
b. If your phone is locked, and if you open Navimaps using the Appradio interface, it wont open. Thats because, iPhone would be asking your permission if Navimaps can communicate with Pioneer.

2. Todorki Equalizer:
Seems like this graphic equalizer mode was made for India. I found it functional and enjoyable. Audio sounds fantastic.

3. Navigation using Waze:
This is not an advertised capability or service. Waze comes to dashboard (closest you can come to a Google owned maps service with an iPhone) once you execute this trick. I wont mention it here, but please PM me if you want to know. I don't want the overzealous developers to fix this "bug". You can listen to iPod or Internet Radio stations while Waze is busy providing navigation services. Phone calls work using BT. I am amazed that a 4 year old phone can drive an online navigation app, while streaming internet audio, and all the while connected to BT for phone functions.

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-waze.png

4. YouTube (and Twitter and Facebook):
You can use YouTube in a limited fashion using the Appradio Live app. I have created a playlist in YouTube, which I can access in the car. Your liked videos also appear as a playlist. I have not tried using Twitter and Facebook. Just dont expect jazzy interfaces and full functions.

5. CarPlay:
Works flawlessly. The audio is crystal clear. Siri works just fine. Please note that no navigation services are available while using CarPlay.

6. Appradio Live:

I dont want to reinvent the wheel. QMV's intro here:

This Pioneer's half hearted attempt to compete with CarPlay and Android Auto. The intention is good, but execution is random and is of limited use. Its an attempt to bring navigation, internet media and a couple of other questionable apps like weather and calendar to dashboard. Internet media works fine with some limitations (Internet Radio, Stitcher, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter). Navigation doesnt work, but displays a moving map with live location as a saving grace. Prevents screen burn-in atleast! I havent figured out who is this mystery map provider. They better disband this entire stack, or introduce some value added services, or redesign to compete with CarPlay and AA.

Pioneer's Home Screen:

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-pioneer_home_screen.png

Internet Media Screen:

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City-inetmedia.png

In summary, a great unit for the price (about 28,500INR). Audio quality has improved by leaps and bounds. Fantastic job by Pioneer at this price point. Disappointments are screen resolution (WVGA) and the non-capacitive touch screen. To think that capacitive screen is a 10 year old technology but still havent made it to the dashboard leaves me scratching my head.

The unit supports rear view camera and steering wheel controls can be retained with a harness (costs 3-4k). My car installer guy has botched it up currently. The faceplate is not removable. The unit supports external HDDs.

Ask me any specific questions you may have. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. Sorry about the poor-quality photos.
bsdbsd is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd;4274794
[B
Why I chose this unit:[/b]
My essential requirement is that I want an OS of my choice to drive the in-dash functionality, rather than the OS of in-dash unit itself. Pioneer AVH Z5090BT is advertized as supporting phone driven MapMyIndia + CarPlay. That completes my requirement.

One time activities:
- Install Navimaps on your phone using App Store (Voice guidance is about 600rs).
- Buy the car connectivity key from MapMyIndia, which costs about 1,400 INR. Right now, Pioneer offers it for free, but didnt work for me.
- Install Pioneer Appradio app on your phone (not Appradio Live App - which is a differrent story).
- Enable location services(for map), and Bluetooth (for Phone functions), and 4G data (for live traffic).

Post the above set up:
- Start your car, Unlock the Phone and Connect it to dash unit using the charge/sync cable.
- Open Navimaps on your phone. Navimaps will automatically detects the in-dash unit and projects itself to the dash unit. Takes about 5 seconds.

I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. Sorry about the poor-quality photos.
Brilliant review. I must say I am not technology literate so did not understand all of it (my questions will come later). Some months ago I was told of another unit from Sony (AX100; see link below) that has similar features. It may well be that this is the direction car audio head units will move in in the future.
http://www.sony.co.in/electronics/in...M01-CLEARSOUND

My questions (pardon me if they are elementary)
  1. You said "CarPlay navigation is not available in India, as Apple does not support both Google and Apple maps" but I can run Google Maps (never tried Apple Maps) on my iPhone. I assume Car Play technology reflects everything that is on the iPhone on the Head unit so wont the Google maps playing on my iPhone reflect on the Head Unit too?
  2. Can you connect your iPhone via Blue tooth and your iPod via USB and have either of them (or both) available at the same time? If music is playing from the iPod what limitations are there for the iPhone? Can it still do "Car Play"? Can it at least take and make a phone call?
  3. Have you connected this unit to external amplifiers or is it directly connected to the speakers. Since the unit has 3 pre outs and Time Alignment it can be used without any external processors.
  4. Does the unit come with any microphone to be used to set up the equalization and time alignment?

Many Thanks.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 17:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
  1. You said "CarPlay navigation is not available in India, as Apple does not support both Google and Apple maps" but I can run Google Maps (never tried Apple Maps) on my iPhone. I assume Car Play technology reflects everything that is on the iPhone on the Head unit so wont the Google maps playing on my iPhone reflect on the Head Unit too?

Many Thanks.
Carplay only allows a limited set of apps to be displayed on the screen - Google maps is not one of them. Unfortunately as Apple Maps doesnt have navigation in India - Carplay cannot be used for Navigation in India. Either connect an Android phone or wait for Apple to launch navigation.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 12:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Carplay only allows a limited set of apps to be displayed on the screen - Google maps is not one of them. Unfortunately as Apple Maps doesnt have navigation in India - Carplay cannot be used for Navigation in India. Either connect an Android phone or wait for Apple to launch navigation.
Thanks for this. I am a techno-idiot. Any idea if you can connect your iPhone via Blue tooth and your iPod via USB and have either of them (or both) available at the same time?
Old 26th September 2017, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. I am a techno-idiot. Any idea if you can connect your iPhone via Blue tooth and your iPod via USB and have either of them (or both) available at the same time?
I think it should be possible - but i doubt whether Apple Carplay will work over BT.
Old 26th September 2017, 12:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think it should be possible - but i doubt whether Apple Carplay will work over BT.
Oh so I cant make or take phone calls over BT then? Thanks.

Sorry, I understand sound and acoustics well but not all the computer stuff like Bluetooth and CarPlay.

Last edited by navin : 26th September 2017 at 12:23.
Old 26th September 2017, 12:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry, I understand sound and acoustics well but not all the computer stuff like Bluetooth and CarPlay.
Oh no you got me wrong. You can connect your phone via BT to take calls & play music using your iPod from USB.

Carplay is to get that nice interface on your HU's display screen which looks like the iPhone screen & is easier to use when driving. That works only over USB.
Old 26th September 2017, 12:37   #8
BHPian

Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City

Quote:

Carplay will not work, but calls over bluetooth will definitely work. Basically the phone over bluetooth works for calls and music only, but requires USB for the other car play features.
If you have a carplay compatible HU, and enough free memory on the iphone, I suggest syncing music on your iphone too. Itll make life easier. Plug in the ipod only when you/your iphone is not in the car.
kkkkkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 12:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh no you got me wrong. You can connect your phone via BT to take calls & play music using your iPod from USB.

Carplay is to get that nice interface on your HU's display screen which looks like the iPhone screen & is easier to use when driving. That works only over USB.
Oh now I get it. CarPlay makes your HU look like an iPhone! That makes sense. Thank you for making things simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Carplay will not work, but calls over bluetooth will definitely work. Basically the phone over bluetooth works for calls and music only, but requires USB for the other car play features.
If you have a carplay compatible HU, and enough free memory on the iphone, I suggest syncing music on your iphone too. Itll make life easier. Plug in the ipod only when you/your iphone is not in the car.
Sir, I am an old man. I don't have any music on my phone. I barely have any photos (I use a small camera for photos) except those I get via WhatsApp either.

My iPods (I keep one in each car) are permanently connected to the USB via a cable and sit in the glove compartment. This way I always have music and I don't have to worry about the limitations of the phone (battery, memory etc.). My music collection (over 800 CDs worth) would never fit on a phone anyway even if compressed into 256k VBR MP3.

Coming to music, can these new HUs play ALAC (Apple's Lossless)?

I ask because from what I know, iPods will natively only support MP3 and ALAC not FLAC or WavPak or Monkey's Audio. So the best format you can natively store on an iPod is ALAC. Lossless formats are a significant step up from any MP3 format when it comes to sound quality and it would be nice to have these in a car.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 13:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Coming to music, can these new HUs play ALAC (Apple's Lossless)?
Most likely - Yes via iPod USB connection. Still maybe a quick email to customer care would confirm before buying.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
[*]You said "CarPlay navigation is not available in India, as Apple does not support both Google and Apple maps" but I can run Google Maps (never tried Apple Maps) on my iPhone. I assume Car Play technology reflects everything that is on the iPhone on the Head unit so wont the Google maps playing on my iPhone reflect on the Head Unit too?
CarPlay is a software layer, on the top of your phone operating system (Ios). CarPlay interface needs an Ios device to drive it. The essence of CarPlay is to provide the driver with distraction free (eyes free and hands free) driving experience to the driver, while using some of the phone functions. These functions are navigation, phone, music and some other audio apps. So, only a subset of apps permitted by Apple can live inside CarPlay environment and be useful to the driver. Currently the phone app, music app, messages app which are native to iPhone can come to dashboard. No Apple Maps or Google Maps.

So, answering your question, CarPlay technology reflects only a subset of apps (permitted by Apple) on the head unit. No Apple maps and Google maps for India, though they run on Ios. For a list of apps that run on CarPlay, refer here: https://www.apple.com/in/ios/carplay/

If you want your phone’s screen to be available on dash unit, you can use mirroring. But the problem with mirroring is that touch will work on dash unit, and once again you will end up using your phone all the time to control dash unit. This is pointless.

Quote:
  1. Can you connect your iPhone via Blue tooth and your iPod via USB and have either of them (or both) available at the same time? If music is playing from the iPod what limitations are there for the iPhone? Can it still do "Car Play"? Can it at least take and make a phone call?
Yes. Your phone functions are available over BT, and your music will be available over iPod, simultaneously. You can select these sources inside the head unit. Since you would have plugged in your iPod to dash unit over USB, CarPlay layer will not get activated at all.

Quote:
  1. Have you connected this unit to external amplifiers or is it directly connected to the speakers. Since the unit has 3 pre outs and Time Alignment it can be used without any external processors.
  2. Does the unit come with any microphone to be used to set up the equalization and time alignment?
I connected the unit to the speaker inputs given by Honda. I have not connected this to any external amplifiers. I am really not sure about the TA and equalization question. It flew right over my head! Sound technology illiterate here .

Keep your questions coming.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Most likely - Yes via iPod USB connection. Still maybe a quick email to customer care would confirm before buying.
You are right, though I have not tried it. This head unit supports FLAC too. You can check for the other supported formats in the video I have pasted above at 5:27.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 26th September 2017 at 16:43. Reason: Mods: Request you please merge the above two.
Old 26th September 2017, 17:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
You are right, though I have not tried it. This head unit supports FLAC too.
I knew it supports FLAC, WAV, MP3, AAC, and WMA so I asked about ALAC. AAC and ALAC are quite different. AAC is "Advanced Audio Coding" which is a lossy compression codec, ALAC is a lossless compression codec much like FLAC, WavPack (not to be confused with WAV), Monkey's Audio etc.

The aural difference between the lossless audio files and lossy audio files (even at high bit rates) is significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Currently the phone app, music app, messages app which are native to iPhone can come to dashboard. No Apple Maps or Google Maps.

So, answering your question, CarPlay technology reflects only a subset of apps (permitted by Apple) on the head unit. No Apple maps and Google maps for India, though they run on Ios. For a list of apps that run on CarPlay, refer here: https://www.apple.com/in/ios/carplay/

Yes. Your phone functions are available over BT, and your music will be available over iPod, simultaneously. You can select these sources inside the head unit. Since you would have plugged in your iPod to dash unit over USB, CarPlay layer will not get activated at all.

I connected the unit to the speaker inputs given by Honda. I have not connected this to any external amplifiers. I am really not sure about the TA and equalization question. It flew right over my head! Sound technology illiterate here ..
Thanks. Our knowledge spaces are quite different. I am conversant with audio and you are with all this BT - CarPlay stuff.

So I can use an iPod (USB) and an iPhone (BT) and listen to music (from the iPod) which will get interrupted automatically if I use the iPhone (on BT). Super.

That's all I need. Google Maps on the HU would be lovely, someone needs to write to Apple about that. I assume it is an oversight on their part or is this a conscious decision? And if so, why?

Edit: I googled a little and found this - https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

and some work arounds (did not understand them fully) here http://www.carplaylife.com/how-to/ho...apple-carplay/

http://www.redmondpie.com/using-goog...de-workaround/

Last edited by navin : 26th September 2017 at 17:23.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 18:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
...AAC and ALAC are quite different...
Learning never ceases, isn't it? Thats the beauty of it.

Quote:
So I can use an iPod (USB) and an iPhone (BT) and listen to music (from the iPod) which will get interrupted automatically if I use the iPhone (on BT). Super.
Right. This should serve your specific needs! Best of both the worlds. In fact, you can even plug in a HDD (hard drive) itself, instead of an iPod. Put all your music collection in one place.

Quote:

That's all I need. Google Maps on the HU would be lovely, someone needs to write to Apple about that. I assume it is an oversight on their part or is this a conscious decision? And if so, why?

Edit: I googled a little and found this - https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

and some work arounds (did not understand them fully) here http://www.carplaylife.com/how-to/ho...apple-carplay/

http://www.redmondpie.com/using-goog...de-workaround/
The carplaylife article cited above is a clickbait article. Just go to the bottom and read the comments. If Apple has not approved an app for CarPlay, then it will not figure in CarPlay. Period.

Same with the redmondpie article too. All it does is, it makes Google Maps run in the background, and voice commands will come over dash unit.

Everybody is frustrated about Google's and Apple's childishness in not supporting maps on CarPlay. Its silly, but corporate companies are all about profit. No one really knows why GMaps is still not supported. In case of Apple, they don't even support their own app (Apple Maps) for India. With the new map development center in Hyderabad operational, I think this will change in future.

For now, the only way to get Google Maps on dash is by using an Android phone. Remember, this unit supports both Android Auto and CarPlay.

This is where this unit shines. By supporting Navimaps (MapMyIndia), I get offline maps in dash, thus eliminating the need for both Google Maps and Apple Maps.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 22:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a crisp and a detailed review. Did you also consider going for an Android based head unit? If yes then could you list out where each wins/loses? And does the steering controls really need an additional interface to work? I reckon that most HU these days come with an inbuilt interface which can be programmed and the keys can be assigned to perform various actions.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks