Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2014, 22:33   #121

re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
er.sudhanshu
IMO 2 component speakers and a decent single DIN HU is very much possible within 12K.

Since you are in Delhi - the mecca of sorts for car accessories - why don't you nip over to the lajpat nagar market , and ask one or more dealers for various options?
Thanks, I did have a visit there today and was a bit surprised at the range of products one could avail for this budget . I came across brands like the Rockford Fosgate and Kicker speakers which kind of blew me off. Since I hadn't heard of them, didn't know how to deal with these choices. Any one has any experiece with Kicker(for front speakers) and Rockford Fosgate as rear ones instead of JBL(6*9, and 260W front ones) ?
Old 26th December 2014, 10:46   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by er.sudhansu View Post
Since I hadn't heard of them, didn't know how to deal with these choices.
Never heard of the specific brands/products you saw at the shops. But there's really a huge variety out there - and without giving a listen it's difficult to say which is better.

Here's my two-pence worth:
On your home audio system play your favourite music , as well as music of different types- e.g. disco, instrumental, rock, metal etc.

Ask the dealer to demo the component speakers of such brands in your car - and also demo a JBL or Pioneer or Sony component speaker of similar output.

During the demo , play the ^^^ music first on these brands and then on the popular brands.

9 times out of 10, if you are not a really finicky audiophile you will be okay with the sound output & quality of cheaper brands.

Coming to reliability of speakers - yes popular brands do have good QC practices. But then, they are equally likely to malfunction as cheaper brands if they are not used in the right way.
Old 26th December 2014, 10:59   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rockford Fosgate and Kicker speakers which kind of blew me off. Since I hadn't heard of them, didn't know how to deal with these choices. Any one has any experiece with Kicker(for front speakers) and Rockford Fosgate as rear ones instead of JBL(6*9, and 260W front ones) ?
Both are highly competent and reliable brands including SQ and make for good choices alongwith JBL. You should be able to find a lot of setups on the forum with those speakers. It depends on what strikes with you.

Personal experience, RF has pretty good ovals for the back on parcel tray.

Best to hear them out in comparison and decide based upon acceptable SQ and budget. You should be able to get decent setup at 12k for 1 DIN HU + Front + Rear.
Old 26th December 2014, 13:24   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
... Delhi - the mecca of sorts for car accessories ...
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
... RF has pretty good ovals for the back on parcel tray. ...
Would need the existing FRP parcel tray to be replaced by an MDF tray (costs 700-1000). The OE tray cannot take the weight of the ovals and will sag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
... Best to hear them out in comparison and decide based upon acceptable SQ and budget. ...
Perfect advice.

I would suggest going for JBL components in front, instead of the coaxials. The difference in cost is I think 2.5K (street prices), which can be within the budget with a 1DIN HU.
Old 26th December 2014, 15:53   #125

Hi Delhi based distinguished ICE BHPians,

Would anyone experienced enough have the bandwidth and volunteer to come along with me to get the ICE fitted in my vehicle sometime this weekend or early next week at Lajpat Nagar ?
I'd just like to make sure that the car warranty is not tampered while fitting the accessories and couplers and the system is tuned adequately and the other nitty-gritties that I'm not completely aware of.

In return I could promise a free ride with exclusive audience to the new system
Old 26th December 2014, 18:36   #126
BHPian

er.sudhanshu..

I don't remember correctly but I also think that the K10 has speaker slots in the dash only, and not in the front doors, similar to the old Alto. These slots accomodate only 4" speakers, which will highly limit your choices, more so if you decide to go for components.

One option you have is to cut the door pads to fit in speakers in which case you may opt for 6" or 6.5" components. If not, you will have a tough time finding 4" components. You will get a few more options in coaxials.

Do let us know of your preference in this regard, accordingly you may get a few suggestions!
Old 28th December 2014, 18:56   #127
BANNED

Any update on the installation on your Alto? I am waiting for feedback on the same as I am to waiting for what you'll be getting as the budget my colleague is looking at is 15K.

---------------------------------------------------

Apologies er.sudhanshu, for diluting the thread,

My colleague is looking at ICE installing in his Alto LXi (2009 model) with a maximum budget of 15K.

Please throw in suggestions for:

1) Head Unit - 1 DIN;
2) Front Speakers and
3) Rear Speakers.

Thanks guys,

Anurag.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:36   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any update on the installation on your Alto? I am waiting for feedback on the same as I am to waiting for what you'll be getting as the budget my colleague is looking at is 15K.

---------------------------------------------------

Apologies er.sudhanshu, for diluting the thread,

My colleague is looking at ICE installing in his Alto LXi (2009 model) with a maximum budget of 15K.

Please throw in suggestions for:

1) Head Unit - 1 DIN;
2) Front Speakers and
3) Rear Speakers.

Thanks guys,

Anurag.

Thanks Anurag , but I've already got it installed.

BHPians,
the detailed review with pics will follow, but my config is listed below. All I can say is the sound is pretty awesome for this combo and I'm quite satisfied, though it may be an overkill.

HU: Pioneer X1790 : Rs 3500 with BW, decent controls for bass, good with thumb drives but mediocre performance with auxillary. mechanic says that aux have traditionally lower performance with system compared to cd or thumb drives and one has to live with it in this budget.
Oval speaker: Kicker 6X9 Coaxial Speaker-CS 6934, Rs.6500
Front 4" speaker: Kicker ES40, Rs 2500
Antenna: Rs 250

Got it installed at Elegant car works, Lajpat Nagar. The dealer seemed a bit distant and the feel I got from them was that they meant business and wanted to get the work over with without any appreciation of how I felt the overall process was or if I liked the music as per my requirements stated earlier or not. They handed me over the Kicker speakers BW with the dealers' emblem, but doesn't have the serial number of either speaker or any pamphlet with service centers. I doubt I would be able to bank on it. The guys are good, but they need to tone down the professional attitude a bit and respect that even entry level hatchback segment owners need ICE that should fit into budget. The installation guys were good at quickly fitting up and tuning the system without any drilling or cutting that may make the warranty void. As a New Year customer, they provided a complimentary car freshener which would last a week!
I learnt that with this system one has to use the cross fader to balance the major powers to rear ovals and keep the front dash ones very low to just enhance the surround music feel. So front speakers could be used cheaper and the extra amount could be invested for the HU rather. So maybe I 'd have managed to keep down 1K with better judgement.
Anyway the bass and power at mid volume ranges are pretty rocking for Alto standards and I'm sure the rides would be much more rhythmic with these in place. I'd shortly upload the pics for viewership in a couple of days.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:58   #129
BHPian

Re: First ICE installation in my AltoK10B, 2013-14 model

Quote:
my budget is about 12K, help is appreciated.
Sorry for not replying back on time, have been tied up off late(party season!).

I see that you've already got the install done, just get the best quality music you can source and fire it up!
Old 5th January 2015, 20:00   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Anurag , but I've already got it installed.
After a lot of shop visiting and discussion with a few BHPians, here's the setup for the Alto! The criteria was not be too heavy on the pocket but get a good SQ at 15K maximum.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X1790UB with USB and AUX input.

ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto-pioneer-hu.jpg

Front Speakers: Blaupunkt - GTx 402 DE - 4 Inch 2-Way Coaxial (140 W) . This was chosen as we needed the 4" speakers so that it fits in the dashboard part where the slots were provided. Found this to be of good SQ.

ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto-blaupunkt-front.jpg

Rear Speakers: JBL - GTO 949 - 6" x 9" 3 Way Coaxial (400 W). This will be put on the parcel tray.

ICE upgrade : Maruti Alto-jbl-rear.jpg

Shall be going for the installation tomorrow. Will update the thread!

Price paid:

Head Unit: ₹ 3700
Front Speakers: ₹ 1000
Rear Speakers: ₹ 4500
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 22:00   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
After a lot of shop visiting and discussion with a few BHPians, here's the setup for the Alto!
======
Rear Speakers: ₹ 4500
Anurag,
Just try to evaluate the JBL979 as well (500W) speaker. It comes in the same price range and has higher wattage, so higher power. JBL is a good choice, good luck with the installs and do let us know how u feel the beats with this system.
One more caution, the JBL don't provide the B&W as the imports have been stopped some time back, at least this is what the dealer said me when I was evaluating these speakers. So make sure you confirm if you are looking forward to the warranty.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:31   #132
BANNED

Quote:
Anurag,
Just try to evaluate the JBL979 as well (500W) speaker. It comes in the same price range and has higher wattage, so higher power. JBL is a good choice, good luck with the installs and do let us know how u feel the beats with this system. So make sure you confirm if you are looking forward to the warranty.
Got 1 year warranty on the speakers and the guy whom I will be going to is well known so warranty etc will not be a problem.

I am familiar wit these speakers since 3 years as I had them in my earlier car (Ritz VDi).

Thanks anyways, shall update the thread soon with the feedback on SQ with this setup and the final damages done!
Old 7th January 2015, 15:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Just try to evaluate the JBL979 as well (500W) speaker. It comes in the same price range and has higher wattage, so higher power. ...
Higher power rating does not necessarily translate to a better speaker. Also, "500W" is 'Music' power, and is quite misleading.

Quote:
... One more caution, the JBL don't provide the B&W as the imports have been stopped some time back, at least this is what the dealer said me when I was evaluating these speakers. So make sure you confirm if you are looking forward to the warranty.
Usual 'dealer talk' - wonder what they get out of saying such things.

JBL sells officially in India (Harman International (India) Pvt. Ltd.), so other than grey market stuff brought in from SE Asia (which never had B & W), all the other JBL stuff one can get with B & W from JBL authorized dealers. That dealer is obviously not one of them.
Old 8th March 2015, 07:41   #134
BHPian

a4anurag have you installed it yet? Can you give an idea of the sound quality when only the dash speakers are working. Actually I am not a big fan of very loud music and do not want to run wires and cut out the parcel shelf for rear speakers. Just some light soothing sound from the front speakers will do for me. Also, in this HU is the time displayed in all modes as I would like to have a clock permanently.
Old 25th April 2015, 20:40   #135
BHPian

Hey All!

I currently have the below shown head unit installed in the Alto. The Sony model number is CDX-GT470U. Off late both the CD and the USB playback have died and I'm unable to get it repaired either. So would the "gurus" please make a recommendation for a head unit in the 5-7k price range. I would prefer if it were compatible with the existing x-plod speakers (no idea about the size I'm a complete noob, two on the parcel tray, two in the dash). My requirements are simple, cd-usb and aux. I don't require bluetooth i-pod compatibility etc.
This is a representative picture of my head unit
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1981
Size:  145.9 KB
taken from Sony India's website.

Thank you!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks