Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2008, 19:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

One can go for Blau MKII instead even cheaper than Kenwood.
Old 13th September 2008, 21:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
avoid kenwood 8401 Please!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
One can go for Blau MKII instead even cheaper than Kenwood.
@nitin as per stated in quoted posts please stay away from 8401. 8401 is not at all a good amp. Even Desi Alpine is better than 8401.

JBL A604 is GOD of Amps in 5K range.
Balu MKII is GODESS of Amps in 5K range.
Kenwood 8401 should not be even counted as an AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below is the picture for sealed box in alto for almost any JBL sub 1 cubic feet.

ImageShack - Hosting :: altosealedrk9.jpg

P.S. TeamBHP image uploading is having a problem so i uploaded on imageshack.
Old 13th September 2008, 21:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
@nitin as per stated in quoted posts please stay away from 8401. 8401 is not at all a good amp. Even Desi Alpine is better than 8401.

Hahah... lol...

I think 8401 is giving tough competition to dealers who have products in the 10-15k range. No wonder people have suddenly begun boycotting it altogether...
Old 13th September 2008, 21:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

Well said.

8401 is a decent buy for the price at the moment,its got features like a cooling fan,rough body technically designed for good heat sink.Gold plated terminals unlike others in the price range,The amp has good control over the bass it makes sure the woofer kicks hard,as well it will increase your SQ for sure.Is also small and compact.None that people i met have regretted the purchase rest its upto you

Yes its not a good amp as it does it eat the competition away.I think it will suit as per your taste,Do try and AUDITION IT. Dont stike it off the list because someone does like it.
Old 14th September 2008, 09:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I think 8401 is giving tough competition to dealers who have products in the 10-15k range. No wonder people have suddenly begun boycotting it altogether...
Going per my experiences, kenwood 8401 is a third-class amp, and as your friend abhibh righly pointed out, its not even worth being called an amp.

and my SINCERE effort here is to make sure that the thread starter is not taken for a ride!

Last edited by panky12345 : 14th September 2008 at 09:33.
Old 14th September 2008, 09:48   #51
BHPian

Arre gunbirbhai
can something be arranged -wherein 8401 and Blau and JBL amps be setup to play the same speakers one after the other
get a tbhpian or two to sit in front and try and guess which amp is playing.

my installer doesnt stock Blau otherwise i would have got a few bhpians to test this out in my car

better still
the thread starter- please try this out and offer your opinions
Old 14th September 2008, 12:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Arre gunbirbhai
can something be arranged -wherein 8401 and Blau and JBL amps be setup to play the same speakers one after the other
This has been done yaar. People have even ABx'd the 8401 with Audison, Hifonics, Alpine, JBL, Blau etc. In most cases the 8401 holds its own against amps upto 10-12K. Its a great amp and I have no qualms recommending it to anyone on a budget.

There will always be haters. They will pop up every now and then with their unwanted, pointless opinion that is based purely on an opinion formed out of misinformation. May I suggest we ignore their outbursts that seem to invariably occur everytime someone says those four numbers in that sequence. I guess they have nothing better to do with their time. Fortunately, we do.

Cheers!
Old 14th September 2008, 13:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

Gunbir : I would've gone ahead and posted comments on your post, but.. i'm in no mood (or got no reason) to start any flame-war with you.

My sincere suggestion to the thread starter would be to audition BEFORE buying and not to fall prey on anybody's baseless (i'm pointing at mine here) opinion(s).
Old 14th September 2008, 13:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have used the Kenwood myself in one of the installs, I would only recommend it to those who want to drive subs on it with in a given budget. But not for speakers. Also this amp is 2005 (approx) model now discontinued. And what is selling in the market is old stock. This amp was intended to sell for 10-12k range but was not worth the price hence the backlog. I wonder why it did not do any wonders back then

I have nothing personally against Kenwood or this amp . But I would suggest people to audition it before buying it.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 14th September 2008 at 13:39.
Old 14th September 2008, 16:33   #55
nitin.dangayach

Ok have set my mind on MK2.

Another thing I just noted today, while listening to the music in my car, that the mid range / highs are not as good. The bass has increased, I mean the rears are hittin lows now which were not there about a while ago (possibly the burn in).

I also felt that the sound is pretty good but when compared to my 10 years old SONY mini hi-fi component system, it is still far away. I am still not being able to distinguish between various frequencies (as I can do in my home music system).

The HU i chose was kind of top of the line stuff so I expected that to sound good. The speakers I chose are one of the best, I could get.

Somehow I am still not finidng the best thing.

Going with the current bass, I think I am good but the mids are kind troubling me more.
The highs are kinda mixed up with the mids. I chose polks which had silk dome tweeters, just because I want my sound to be more natural and mellow.

Another fact is that I haVe read it in number of forums that polks really take long time to burn-in.

Now the question is, shall i wait a little more to see if my current set up will sound good or not....after some time ? May be 2-3 months ?

Or I go for an amplifier ? (I am not looking at the sub right now because of the budget but If i go for the amp, I'd defnitely want to have the amp good enough to support one.)

Will adding an AMP boost the SQ considerably ? The current sound in my car is kinda ok and loud enough for even my rarest party needs :P
Still I am not sure if I should invest in just an AMP.

Also with reference to the my current setup, how good can Blau GTA$ MK2 be ?

Please reply ehxaustively to cover all the subtle aspects as well. Thanks in advacnce.

Old 14th September 2008, 16:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok have set my mind on MK2.
Nice choice

Another thing I just noted today, while listening to the music in my car, that the mid range / highs are not as good. The bass has increased, I mean the rears are hittin lows now which were not there about a while ago (possibly the burn in).

I also felt that the sound is pretty good but when compared to my 10 years old SONY mini hi-fi component system, it is still far away. I am still not being able to distinguish between various frequencies (as I can do in my home music system).

You cannot really compare home audio to car audio. Both have different environments, but one can achieve good sound setup in car too. IMHO its due to lack of front sound stage in your car.

The HU i chose was kind of top of the line stuff so I expected that to sound good. The speakers I chose are one of the best, I could get.
You

Somehow I am still not finidng the best thing.

Your equipment is pretty good no doubt maybe it needs some tuning. Is HPF turned on ?

Going with the current bass, I think I am good but the mids are kind troubling me more.
The highs are kinda mixed up with the mids. I chose polks which had silk dome tweeters, just because I want my sound to be more natural and mellow.

Another fact is that I haVe read it in number of forums that polks really take long time to burn-in.

Silk done doesnt always mean they will be soft and mellow down. Focal tweets are on brighter side (some are) and if i am not mistaken i have auditioned earlier Hertz Energy series which had metal dome tweeters(clipto333 car) and i never felt tweeter was bright / harsh.

You will not find too much difference after BURN-IN.

Now the question is, shall i wait a little more to see if my current set up will sound good or not....after some time ? May be 2-3 months ?

Or I go for an amplifier ? (I am not looking at the sub right now because of the budget but If i go for the amp, I'd defnitely want to have the amp good enough to support one.)

Will adding an AMP boost the SQ considerably ? The current sound in my car is kinda ok and loud enough for even my rarest party needs :P
Still I am not sure if I should invest in just an AMP.

Also with reference to the my current setup, how good can Blau GTA$ MK2 be ?

Please reply ehxaustively to cover all the subtle aspects as well. Thanks in advacnce.

I will suggest if you have Vitamin M and in future you are thinking of adding an amp and sub go ahead with getting an amp. It will sure add SQ to your setup. But if you are short of Vitamin M then you can contact gurus from Delhi & around and as for their valuable inputs and suggestions after they audition your system and know your taste.
My Replies are in BOLD
Old 14th September 2008, 17:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
my installer doesnt stock Blau otherwise i would have got a few bhpians to test this out in my car
Nishant Gandhi ko pakdo na.
Old 14th September 2008, 18:19   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Nishant Gandhi ko pakdo na.
arree haa

now we need some test subjects(bhpians who dont care much about being politically correct) who dont have an opinion of any of these amplifiers ( since nishant and i may be partial, are opinions dont count)

will also buy some female RCA connectors so we can auditon the same car on two diff amps instead of audioning two diferent cars

Any volunteers?

And of course we need nishant to agree

bhagwanji can we use your office as a venue if this works out?
Old 14th September 2008, 20:17   #59
nitin.dangayach

Somebody reply for my query as well. :(

Old 14th September 2008, 20:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
Somebody reply for my query as well. :(
nitin
i assume you are using the polkDB 401 in front and polk DB 691 behind

now the 691 is a good product,they go real loud, being more sensitive they probably are drowning your front soundstage
(the poor 401's rated 45 rms cannot keep up )

as abhibh has pointed out , the problem may be your front soundstage.

the POLK db 401 are only 4 inch co axials(freq response is 85Hz onwards). You should not have expected the clarity of the mids(you seem to seek) from such speakers.
i would advice you to stay with the 691's but change your fronts to either 4inch components ( or if you are willing to cut a little then go for 6.5 inch component speakers)

Illusion audio stocks both 4 inch and 6.5 inch components (i think)
this should help your soundstage upfront.

Also do remember to set fader to at least +3 in the front to ensure those LOUD ovals dont overpower your fronts

then you can decide on your amp.

if you dont want a sub , consider powering your front components only via a cheap but good 2 channel amp
the JBL 60.2 can be had for just under 3300 rs

Hoever ususal tbhpian advice would always make you spend more looking into the future and advice you getting a 4 channel amp.

the only reason im advicing the 2 channel is because you have rightly realised that a sub needs correct power which no budget 4 channel provides
so if youre on a budget by a 3K amp now for your fronts then we can worry about the sub later

Disclaimer : im a noob

Last edited by Magma : 14th September 2008 at 20:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks