Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 21:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
if i am not mistaken i have auditioned earlier Hertz Energy series which had metal dome tweeters(clipto333 car) and i never felt tweeter was bright / harsh.
Strangemay times Clipto complained that the kit is bright. Maybe your taste and his taste differ a lot..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/666044-post17.html
Old 14th September 2008, 21:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

I thought the hertz had soft dome , not metal tweeters
Old 14th September 2008, 21:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I thought the hertz had soft dome , not metal tweeters
Earlier series Energy had Metal domes.
Old 14th September 2008, 22:12   #64
BHPian

me too!

cool discussion goin. right up my alley!
i am having similar queries. need and amp and enclosure woofer. budget max 12k. any ideas?

i just got the kicker 600.2 compos in.... really great!
pioneer 5050 seems ok.

how is the pioneer wx301 enclosure sub? looks great and sounds nice too. but ii havnet tried in a car yet. just display

and gunbirji, if you reading, iam getting my car to driven soon. please check the ICE out. also need advice on the above.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:22   #65
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
nitin
i assume you are using the polkDB 401 in front and polk DB 691 behind
Yupp man of course. 691 wont fit in the dash :P

Quote:
the POLK db 401 are only 4 inch co axials(freq response is 85Hz onwards). You should not have expected the clarity of the mids(you seem to seek) from such speakers.
i would advice you to stay with the 691's but change your fronts to either 4inch components
Thanks for the suggestion bro but what i dont understand is why do you think the coaxials are bad or components can DRASTICALLY be better? I think those 4 inchers are giving good for their size. Why would the components be able to givew better mid freq resp? After all they just have a better crossover and the tweeter and main diaphragm are off axis.

What i think that the reason is one amongst the following: the amplifier, burn in time , the enclosure of the fronts.
Quote:
Disclaimer : im a noob
Ok i take that. But i owe you one for that detailed reply. Cheers.

BTW i am stilll not sure ig i shoul augment the current sound with an amp or not.

Old 15th September 2008, 00:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
Thanks for the suggestion bro but what i dont understand is why do you think the coaxials are bad or components can DRASTICALLY be better
Components makes lot of diffarance.It is not possible to reproduce entire audio spectrum in one single speaker/voice coil.
Old 15th September 2008, 00:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Components makes lot of diffarance.It is not possible to reproduce entire audio spectrum in one single speaker/voice coil.
You are confusing coaxials with full range speakers.

a full range speaker has only 1 speaker which is supposed to reproduce the entire spectrum. A coax will have 2 or more drivers, and you can have co-axial ( having the same axis) only if there is more than one speaker
having said that, the 3,4, 5 etc way speakers arent exactly coaxials in the strict sense , lekin chalega

why comps sound better is because in the front , they allow you to place the tweeter with a lot more flexiblity and you get better sound reproduction. Also, they also have better crosssovers than your average coax.

On the other hand , if you place the tweeter right next to the midbass , they wont sound much better than the equivalent coax, especially if the coax has its own dedicated and high quality crossover , say like the JBL power series

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th September 2008 at 00:34.
Old 15th September 2008, 00:30   #68
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
So u think the coaxials have only one voice coil?

Think again CO + AXIAL. They are simply two different set of spekers*(main and tweeters), mounted in a way that both the speakers have common axis. This is done primarily to save space. And for the same reason the crossovers can not be made big enough and are very basic.

In case of components, sine both the speakers (main and tweeters) can be placed differently, they have the flexibility of having bigger crossovers with more refinemenets and thus vthe better quality.

Man dont just go with what everyone says, think rationally and logically.

And its not a rule of thumb that components are alwayz better than the coaxials. Everthing is subjective to a whole lot of dependant variables.

Old 15th September 2008, 00:37   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion bro but what i dont understand is why do you think the coaxials are bad or components can DRASTICALLY be better? I think those 4 inchers are giving good for their size. Why would the components be able to givew better mid freq resp? After all they just have a better crossover and the tweeter and main diaphragm are off axis.

Also note the frequncey reponse with compos may be lower than the 85Hz that your polks provide.
(though by not much-but even so)

Another point is experience.
i have heard polk coaxials(not components)-i found them a little bright , in addition to my opinion i think another member has also posted the same feeling as me.
this might be giving you the feeling of lower mids.

ofcourse that may be corrected by taking the highs down and boosting the mids using your equaliser ( but im sure u've tried that already)

try amping the fronts with a JBL ( 3k is not much)
there is def no need to amp the rears- they are real LOUD

if you still not satisfied change the fronts

Last edited by Magma : 15th September 2008 at 00:38.
Old 15th September 2008, 00:45   #70
nitin.dangayach

^^^
Dude in the first place, you just cant expect bass from 4 inchers. However low they may go on the paper, realistically speaking they just cant produce bass.

They are meant to compliment the front sound stage and thats cwhere the trouble is.

Anyway getting an amp for them is not a very feasible idea.

Old 15th September 2008, 00:50   #71
BHPian

so you have the answers there for yourself
Old 15th September 2008, 00:51   #72
nitin.dangayach

And one more thing. Being loud is no measure for SQ. My current setup is louder than my need. Also the 55rms fronts are definitely not lagging behind the rears, in loudness at least.

Possibly I am not being able to explain what i want to say. All i want is better SQ.

Old 15th September 2008, 00:53   #73
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
so you have the answers there for yourself
My friend i never complained for bass or sub 100hz response. I am complaining about the 800hz to 4khz freq band. I hope you get that even 4 inchers are comfortable producing that.

Old 15th September 2008, 06:45   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
You are confusing coaxial with full range speakers.
I am not confused.Even i have tried tweaking JBL coaxial XO and have got better sound after that. In fact if you can remove the tweeter and place them in different location /angle they sound as good as components.What i was trying to explain is in the same axis (sorry not voice coil -my mistake) they normally don't sound good.
Quote:
So u think the coaxial have only one voice coil?
No brother, Sorry for confusing statements.I would have read the statement properly before posting.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:27   #75
nitin.dangayach

Here is the latest update:

I guess I do not need any amp or sub

O yeah ! I said it right. Believe me or not, the set up is getting better day by day.

I fiddled with the parameterised equalizers. Boosted the 60Hz band(for the subtle lows) and gave a little bump to the 500Hz freq (for more warm vocals). The highs are boosted at the 15KHz level so I am listening to only the subtle highs, not any shrills.

I drove from punjab to gurgaon, continuously for 7 hours, and listened to at least 200 songs (in bits and pieces.....was actually testing the set up than enjoying the feel of the songs)

Trust me, the burn in has a lot of effect. I remember listening to Akon's "I wanna love you" (This one track has really subtle low notes). The way it sounded about thee weeks ago is totally different from what it sounds now. I know i was really disappointed after listening to it previously and that was precisely why i wanted to go for a sub.

But folks the things have upturned. The polks are showing their power.

Honestly i am happy now.

Another track worth mentinoing is "Luka chhuppi, bahut huyi - Rang De Basanti". What a use of the strings. Hats off to A R Rehman. The song sounded so good that I literally heard it more than 10 times.

The same thing goes for yet another track by AR Rehman (Guru- Aye Hairathe Ashiki)

I made the fader settings to +1 for the fronts. And those guitar notes are so well reproduced...I am simply awe struck. How can they sound so good without doing anything ?

The fronts used to sound as if the sound is coming from bathroom, so subdued, so pressed. But the speakers have opened up after 40-50 hours of extreme operation :P

I'll update you guys again after a month (i.e. my next trip to punjab)

Last edited by nitin.dangayach : 16th September 2008 at 15:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks