Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 14:53   #91
BHPian

@nitin: i have a similar setup on my santro. got it done on saturday
Front: Polk db401
Rear: Polk db690 [was about to go for the db691, but when i saw the specs, there was just no difference between the db690 and db691]
Amp: JBL GTO 504

Currently my rears are connected to the amp and front to the HU.

SQ,bass effects are really good on the rears. but the front is just invisible. Gets totally overpowered by the rears.

Since the db401 are 45watts speakers and the 504 gives 55 x 4 rms. the installer has not connected them to the amp.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:56   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
After so much of searching and head banging, I have finally dropped an idea of Sub and have increased my budget for an Amp.

I am looking for a sub in sub 8k

At least now I think, I should have some more options.

8401 was what I wanted but thats an extinct specie now so leaving it.

The next gen JBL GTO 504 or 1004 o Kenwood 8404 is what I have primarily in my mind right now, but I am just guessing that they will fall in my said budget.

Do you guys want to sugge3st anything else ?

Please make a note that I am not using the sub right now but will get it soon. And the primary constraint, as always was with me, is the highest possible SQ in the defined budget.

Contribute your ideas guys.
Nitin man u r pretty confused. Your posts title says u need Amp and in thread it also mentions u need a sub in sub 8K

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
also consider PANASONIC

1004 is waste if you are not adding sub, rather killer for speakers.. and only if you get lucky you will get that for 8k.. i paid 8.5k + shipping

i think JBL 504 should suite you perfectly
As Chirag said try Panasonic amps.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:57   #93
Senior - BHPian

Nitin, I still think you can get JBL 504 and GZMKII sub within 10k.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:58   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post

SQ,bass effects are really good on the rears. but the front is just invisible. Gets totally overpowered by the rears.

Since the db401 are 45watts speakers and the 504 gives 55 x 4 rms. the installer has not connected them to the amp.
powering the fronts with the amp will help a lot.. i guess the peak output would be 50w, so the amp will not harm your speakers..
Old 9th February 2009, 14:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
powering the fronts with the amp will help a lot.. i guess the peak output would be 50w, so the amp will not harm your speakers..
if tuning is done properly it will not harm.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a sub in sub 8k
At least now I think, I should have some more options.
Please make a note that I am not using the sub right now but will get it soon. And the primary constraint, as always was with me, is the highest possible SQ in the defined budget....
@nitin, if you are going to wait for a couple of months for the sub, you can also consider the new ID CTx series subs that will be out by then. I think they will be priced at around 8.5K to 9K for the 12" driver. Going by the quality of their currently available subs, I'm sure they will be worth a look-see. Since you are in Gurgaon, I think you will not have much difficulty getting an audition once they are available.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:21   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
if tuning is done properly it will not harm.
the fronts are a polk db401 45watts rms 4 ohms, peak 135watts
amp is a JBL GTO504. 55watts x 4 rms at 4 ohms..

if i connect the speakers to the amp. how would i know the max setting without blowing the speakers off?

is there any distortion/indications before they blow?
Old 9th February 2009, 15:42   #98
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Nitin, I still think you can get JBL 504 and GZMKII sub within 10k.
Man get me that. PLs pLs plS !

Honestly I didn't spend that much of time to get the car itself. Not even when serching for my wife :P Darn this Amp thing has gone into my head now.

Old 9th February 2009, 15:44   #99
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
@nitin: i have a similar setup on my santro. got it done on saturday
Front: Polk db401
Rear: Polk db690 [was about to go for the db691, but when i saw the specs, there was just no difference between the db690 and db691]
Amp: JBL GTO 504

Currently my rears are connected to the amp and front to the HU.

Buddy, how much did you pay for the 504 ?

Also you need to power the fronts with the amp. That amp wont kill the fronts if you are not running it on its peak volume.

Again you ca reduce the gain for the front speakers.

Old 9th February 2009, 15:46   #100
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Nitin man u r pretty confused. Your posts title says u need Amp and in thread it also mentions u need a sub in sub 8K
Man I guess I have really gone insane. Yes I need only an AMP, not the SUB. 8K for the amp.

Old 9th February 2009, 15:51   #101
Senior - BHPian

nitin come on man .. don't be so much confused ..

i know you are not a fan of blaupunkt but all other options are good .. pick any and be happy !!
but give panasonic a try on my saying i know you won't take it off...
you can still add a JBL sub in sealed box and all below 10k

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 9th February 2009 at 15:53.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:56   #102
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
nitin come on man .. don't be so much confused ..

i know you are not a fan of blaupunkt but all other options are good .. pick any and be happy !!
but give panasonic a try on my saying i know you won't take it off...
you can still add a JBL sub in sealed box and all below 10k
hey now Balupunkt, but Kenwood.

Man I need a good amp for the nonce. with a head room for a sub as well. 504 is the sweet spot I guess. But don;t know where to source it from.

Old 9th February 2009, 15:59   #103
BHPian

there is no point in getting so confused for the amp. any amp setup would be much better than a no amp setup..

take my word and go for the one which is easily available and in your budget. there is always scope for upgrade later.

i got a GT5 A604 to power my GT5 402 and 963's and its does sounds good..!

Quote:
hey now Balupunkt, but Kenwood.

Man I need a good amp for the nonce. with a head room for a sub as well. 504 is the sweet spot I guess. But don;t know where to source it from.
Old 9th February 2009, 16:05   #104
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
there is no point in getting so confused for the amp. any amp setup would be much better than a no amp setup..

take my word and go for the one which is easily available and in your budget. there is always scope for upgrade later.

i got a GT5 A604 to power my GT5 402 and 963's and its does sounds good..!
I definitely agree on that but man I am more inclined on getting the thing done in one go. I mean I may add components in the future, but replacing them will honestly be tough (primarily due to budgeting issues).

My plan is like this: Add amp first, then sub after some time and then may be a monoblock to drive the sub (that will be after a year or even two, might even change my car by that time so thats not a preference).

Right now I need an amp to get better sound. The HU becomes terribnly hot on high volumes and the sound looses its sheen after a particular level.
Another major thing is fine tuning the fronts and the rears. Since the fronts are little fragile, I need LPF for the fronts to avoid any damage.

BTW 604 was available for around 6K on ebay but I am avoiding that only due to 80dB SNR. SQ is my word. :(

Old 9th February 2009, 16:06   #105
BHPian

i had to take a call between the JBL 1004 and the 504.
1004 has an MRP 14990 . Dealer offered @rs12800
504 Rs9990. Dealer offered @ Rs8500.

I went with the 504. currently connected only to the rear... but as you guys are pointing out, will ask the installer to connct the fronts too to the amp.

I actually had a budget of 5k and just wanted to get the rear speakers(pioneer) changed. But ended up spending 18.5k for fronts,rear,amp,wiring

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks