Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 22:58   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
hey guys! i just went to hermit audio today and bridged all 4 channels of my Ground Zero amp for the Luccents. The Luccents that were already alive sound even livelier now. enjoying it! day by day!
Really, correct me if I am wrong that means you are giving around 250w rms to each side?
If this is true then fantastic, says a lot about their power handling capabilities, but beware what if your door's blow out. Even the electra's can easily take more than they are rated at.
Old 26th March 2009, 23:14   #362
Senior - BHPian

woa. Amazing doc. A new review of the comps especially about the tweeters .
Old 26th March 2009, 23:20   #363
Senior - BHPian

frank good to hear this,you had started playing with power,the need of power will never end.

power ratings for GZ bridged ?
Old 27th March 2009, 01:52   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu_46 View Post
Really, correct me if I am wrong that means you are giving around 250w rms to each side?
If this is true then fantastic, says a lot about their power handling capabilities, but beware what if your door's blow out. Even the electra's can easily take more than they are rated at.
illusion speakers can handle much more power than they are rated at. my electras were playing just fine when they got 104W RMS to each side from my JBL 75.4, even though they were rated to handle 75W RMS per side continuously. Quite hardy speakers I'd say. The Lucies are doing an even more stellar job on getting more power than what they are rated at. But just remember one thing, I don't bump up the volume too much and the gain on the amp is also set at a comfortable level. But still, they do seem to come alive with more power. That's a given!
About the doors, I lived with the fronts only for a week because I wanted to see how much of a difference the 2nd bout of damping and fibre glassing of doors made on the Lucies in front, and I must say I was blown away by the amount of midbass the Lucies in the front alone can produce! I can do without a sub, and that's saying something!! the lucie sub just adds to the party. AND HOW! lol.. sorry I started with my long drawn monologue again. But yea, I am happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
woa. Amazing doc. A new review of the comps especially about the tweeters .
Mini review upar hai
I just mentioned to Ajay today that the tweeters steal the show as far as the Lucies are concerned. The liveliness of the music comes across quite instantly after switching to the Lucies from Electras. But they are in totally different price ranges. Hence, not comparing them head to head, but just saying from experience since those are 2 component sets I have lived with for relatively long periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
frank good to hear this,you had started playing with power,the need of power will never end.

power ratings for GZ bridged ?
i think 220W to each side (solid no?)
Old 27th March 2009, 10:13   #365
BHPian

Quote:
illusion speakers can handle much more power than they are rated at. my electras were playing just fine when they got 104W RMS to each side from my JBL 75.4, even though they were rated to handle 75W RMS per side continuously. Quite hardy speakers I'd say. The Lucies are doing an even more stellar job on getting more power than what they are rated at. But just remember one thing, I don't bump up the volume too much and the gain on the amp is also set at a comfortable level. But still, they do seem to come alive with more power. That's a given!
Congrats frankie on your bouts of happiness in the never ending spree towards SQ.

If i understand right I doubt the electras will ever get 104W RMS unless we set the gains to full. We would typically be setting the gains at the midway mark to avoid clipping which will keep the actual power delivered far lower than the 75W limit of the electras.

Gurus, am i right?

But I must definetly audition your car on the saturday meet.

Maybe you can start a new thread. FRANKMEHTA needs a ground to exhibit his esteem for Auditions.
Old 27th March 2009, 10:29   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
If i understand right I doubt the electras will ever get 104W RMS unless we set the gains to full. We would typically be setting the gains at the midway mark to avoid clipping which will keep the actual power delivered far lower than the 75W limit of the electras.

Gurus, am i right?

sorry to say but you are wrong.

a gain does not control the amp's ability to put out rated power. It is an input sensitivity adjustment only. With theproper input voltage, an amp can put out full RMS power at min gain, max gain, or anything in between.

so gain knob is not a volume control.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:44   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
illusion speakers can handle much more power than they are rated at. i think 220W to each side (solid no?)
Quote:
hey guys! i just went to hermit audio today and bridged all 4 channels of my Ground Zero amp for the Luccents. The Luccents that were already alive sound even livelier now. enjoying it! day by day!
While providing good ammounts of clean power will imprive a speaker's dynamics I doubt if the Lucents would be able to absorb 100W unless thre is a HPF. Also if the Lucents are rated at 90db/1W and 100W it wold be 110db this is from one speaker. With 2 speakers the SPLs would be slightly higher.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:45   #368
Senior - BHPian

yep karan. very good explanation. thank you. was always thinking of this since a long time. i guess its the combination of the volume control and the gain knob that together regulate how much power goes to the speakers.

@navinji: i didn't seem to understand sir. please explain it to me in a slightly less complicated (for me) manner :-)

Last edited by frankmehta : 27th March 2009 at 11:47.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:53   #369
Team-BHP Support

like i have said before a speaker's power handling is more limited by it's excursion than it's thermal capablities (which is what all these Watts that are discussed here is about)
Old 27th March 2009, 12:04   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
so gain knob is not a volume control.
Very true, Like if a amp is rated like this...100 watts x 4 at 0.1 % thd and 14.4 volts. It will give 100 watts at 14.4 volts with clean power but the same amp might not give 100 watts at 12 volts with 0.1 % thd but it can do 100 watts at 5-10 % thd at 12 volts. And it might give 125 watts at 5-10 % thd at 14.4 volts.

Hope I am not confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
like i have said before a speaker's power handling is more limited by it's excursion than it's thermal capabilities (which is what all these Watts that are discussed here is about)
It means that the speaker is a mechanical device first. Like every mechanical thing has a limitation same goes here. A tweeter cannot produce 100 hz since it is not design to do that like wise it same goes for midbass and subs. Like a midbass can go low till 70-80 hz range but it will be very difficult to produce 50-60 hz range with the same efficiency.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 27th March 2009 at 12:20.
Old 27th March 2009, 12:23   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Very true, Like if a amp is rated like this...100 watts x 4 at 0.1 % thd and 14.4 volts. It will give 100 watts at 14.4 volts with clean power but the same amp might not give 100 watts at 12 volts with 0.1 % thd but it can do 100 watts at 5-10 % thd at 12 volts. And it might give 125 watts at 5-10 % thd at 14.4 volts.

Hope I am not confusing.
look alright to me.

if a amp is rated @100x4 14.4vo i think it will do 80/85 watts @ 12 volt.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:03   #372
Senior - BHPian

all said and done, this move has made my Luccents more lovable. the kenwood x991 is next on my list of upgrades :-)
Old 27th March 2009, 13:57   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all said and done, this move has made my Luccents more lovable. the kenwood x991 is next on my list of upgrades :-)
What happened to 9887 ?
Old 27th March 2009, 14:05   #374
Senior - BHPian

i think nothing has happen to 9887 its the BUG.
Old 27th March 2009, 14:08   #375
Senior - BHPian

oye. oye. hold your horses guys. the next upgrade on the list doesnt mean necessarily that its happening soon. a couple of months and i shall think about it!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks