Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 17:44   #241
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea ICE Upgrade help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
If you like the "boom boom" windows shattering kind of bass then mount the subs on the parcel tray.

If you are more subtle, you have two options - 1. Shallow sub or 2. 6x9 speakers on the parcel tray.

.......but I can vouch for the bass produced by 6x9s, in my previous car. Anyone who does not want to compromise on boot space should save on the sub and spend that money on better compos, better amp and good 6x9s.
Good luck.
Exactly "boom boom" /deep neat punch at high volumes is what i'm looking for. I have always avoided to read about 6x9's giving enough bass

Just Checked the below and got more confused:-
  • Kenwood 6x9 KFC-6965S 3 Way - 400 watts/pair and RMS: 45 watts/pair (top selling in Amazon)
  • CERWIN 6x9 VEGA 3 way H446 - 200 Watts Max / 30Watts RMS
  • Rockford R169X2 6 x 9 Inches Full Range 2 way 65 watts RMS
  • Kenwood KFC-6995PS 125W 6x9 5-Way -1300 watts per pair / RMS: 250 per pair
  • Pioneer TS-A6985R (6x9) 4-Way - 550 watts/ pair.. RMS: 200 watts/pair

If you've experienced then please help me.

1) Do they produce enough bass not to distort at high volumes?? (its okay if lesser than typical 12" enclosed sub)
2) If they do, which is better? 6x9 2 way, or 3 way or 4 way speakers? Does that even make a difference?
3) Just checked Amazon, most 6x9 I see are max 300/400 watts per pair, is that enough to produce bass?
4) Most of them say its a 6x9 Co-axial; while we say Comps are better than co-axials in doors.. confused
5) Do they need any enclosure like subs? or just mount on rear parcel tray?

I'm sorry for asking too many questions, but its true what the First page of Team-BHP says - 1) you'll get more confused..... 2) you'll keep reading...., 3) you'll be addicted.... 4) you'll delay your decision...

Last edited by ego4evr : 29th December 2016 at 17:55. Reason: Added a question
Old 29th December 2016, 17:49   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
very useful points by @5hadow here:

Also read @h14's ownership thread.
Thanks @condor.. i'll check that out too.

I should be awarded for most webiste hits/page reads on TBHP in last 2-3 months
Old 29th December 2016, 20:22   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
If you've experienced then please help me.

1) Do they produce enough bass not to distort at high volumes?? (its okay if lesser than typical 12" enclosed sub)
2) If they do, which is better? 6x9 2 way, or 3 way or 4 way speakers? Does that even make a difference?
3) Just checked Amazon, most 6x9 I see are max 300/400 watts per pair, is that enough to produce bass?
4) Most of them say its a 6x9 Co-axial; while we say Comps are better than co-axials in doors.. confused
5) Do they need any enclosure like subs? or just mount on rear parcel tray?
To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Good quality speakers wil not distort.

2. I believe 3-way is a good spot to get good sound at good price and good choice of brands.

3. Let me clear some myths here. More watts does not equal to more bass. It is a very layman term to think. I was there too. More watts does give us a hint of the speakers capability to handle and output power. Always check the RMS wattage, rest is useless.

4. 6x9s are Co-axials. That is correct. Compos are usually used only on front doors to get the correct soundstage (music coming from the front with rear filling in to give you the surround effect). Co-axials are used for rear doors.

5. Just like Subs, it is your choice. My guess is, for your boomy bass, mounting on the parcel tray will do.

Finally, try to listen to your friends' car audios or anybody else that you can get hold of to actually understand your needs better.
5hadow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 21:58   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I should be awarded for most webiste hits/page reads on TBHP in last 2-3 months

But if you had done that, then you would have been a fairly good expert on ICE !
Old 30th December 2016, 08:45   #245
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE for my Linea

@ego4evr: Avoid 6x9s if you can, if the car has only front seats occupied most of the time, avoid rear speakers altogether and just get a sub, a 4 channel amp and some good component speakers for the fronts.

I recommend you audition the equipment before you buy and install.
Luckily you are located in Bangalore where this is actually possible.

You could end up wasting a lot of money buying the wrong equipment.
Tuning various audio equipment is also critical.

There are a few passionate audio guys in Bangalore who could help you making the right choice by listening to various products.

Let me know if you need more info regarding the installers and I could PM you their details. I think few are members here but not active anymore.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with any establishment dealing with car/home audio.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 30th December 2016 at 08:49.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:33   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

But if you had done that, then you would have been a fairly good expert on ICE !

The more I read, the more i got confused; one Fiat fan (T-BHPian, whose id is ego4ever; has a complete different setup here; which I dont want
Old 17th January 2017, 18:30   #247
BHPian

Just an update:
After reading all responses and hunting for music system experts in Ahmedabad (sadly all rejecting the setup I want; mounting sub on parcel tray due to lack of space); I decided to go ahead with 6x9 Ovals.
Understood that Pioneer TS 65 Series, JBL GTO and Sony Xplod Series are the best ones out there. (I'll be buying them soon and mount them on rear parcel tray)
If anybody of you have experienced any better models, please let me know.

Thank you all for your time and inputs
Old 17th January 2017, 19:15   #248
Senior - BHPian

Ovals will not compensate for the lack of Subs. If you are ok with that then get Ovals.

In my swift i did it step by step. Speakers in front and rear door, then comps in front, then ovals in the rear then finally got a sub. Nothing beats having a sub. You need a sub to handle the low frequencies.

In my tjet now, i have Polk comps in the front, Polk coaxs in the rear door and a kicker slim box sub in the boot. one 4 channel amp powering the speakers and a jvc mono for the sub.

If you are hell bent on going the oval way then look at Polks, Kickers, Rockford Fosgate and the likes. Look at their frequency range as well along with RMS.
Old 17th January 2017, 20:51   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Ovals will not compensate for the lack of Subs. If you are ok with that then get Ovals.

In my tjet now, i have Polk comps in the front, Polk coaxs in the rear door and a kicker slim box sub in the boot. one 4 channel amp powering the speakers and a jvc mono for the sub.
not hell bent on Ovals, I'm going for Infinity Ref Comps in front, 2 co-ax's on rear doors, one 4 channel amp. Now the only thing pending is Low frequencies but I need my boot space.. so either i mount a sub on the rear parcel tray or mount Ovals on the tray.

I'm searching for an expert who can help me fit a sub on rear parcel tray on my Fiat Linea...but so far I have failed to find an expert in Ahmedabad :(

how much did you pay for slim kicker box? where do you get it? what are the dimensions?

Last edited by ego4evr : 17th January 2017 at 20:52. Reason: adding my car model
Old 18th January 2017, 09:41   #250
h14
BHPian

Why not try something like the JBL shallow mount sub with a slim box? Refering to something like this.

I have also seen a small sub at RM car decors in Coimbatore. It was nice and compact with a super mini box as well. Not sure on the spec and couldn't find the model details. That was also from JBL, confused now on whether that was same as the above link.
Old 18th January 2017, 09:41   #251
Senior - BHPian

I don't remember my exact model number but it's like this:

https://www.soundmaster.com.au/Kicke...oofer/TCWS104/

Fit's flush against the rear seat so i don't lose too much of boot space.

Have you looked into underseat powered subs?
Old 18th January 2017, 10:19   #252
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Why not try something like the JBL shallow mount sub with a slim box? Refering to something like this.

I have also seen a small sub at RM car decors in Coimbatore. It was nice and compact with a super mini box as well. Not sure on the spec and couldn't find the model details. That was also from JBL, confused now on whether that was same as the above link.
Some pics of the sub that I had mentioned above

ICE for my Linea-1484714827355.jpg

ICE for my Linea-1484714808052.jpg
Old 18th January 2017, 11:02   #253
BHPian

Quote:
I'm going for Infinity Ref Comps in front, 2 co-ax's on rear doors, one 4 channel amp. Now the only thing pending is Low frequencies but I need my boot space..
If you don't want to loose boot space you can try and mount a sub in the wheel well

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...heel-well.html

Incidentally, I have Infinity Kappa 60.1 in front and Kappa coaxial's in the rear driven with a Hertz 4 channel amp in my Jet. The sound is good enough, but should sound a lot better if not for the head unit which is the limiting factor.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:16   #254
h14
BHPian

Quote:
I decided to go ahead with 6x9 Ovals.
Understood that Pioneer TS 65 Series, JBL GTO and Sony Xplod Series are the best ones out there. (I'll be buying them soon and mount them on rear parcel tray)
If anybody of you have experienced any better models, please let me know.

Thank you all for your time and inputs
If decided on 6x9 then I would suggest you to check the Focal Access 6x9 once before buying

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks