Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 16:17   #91
BHPian

Why not just get the Blaupunkt THA 475 Pnp and save yourself all the hassles. It has a plug and play adapter for the Linea and is available here in India.

Type: Digital
Number of channels : 4 Channel
Max. Power (Watt): 720
Max. Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x150
Max. Power 2 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x300
Max. Power 4 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4x170
RMS Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x75
RMS Power 2 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2 x 150
RMS Power 4 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4 x 85

Cheers
Old 9th June 2009, 18:51   #92
BHPian

Thanks ghost_rider. This seems very promising. Any Idea how much it costs?

However just another issue I have been thinking of is the compression settings of the stock HU. Guess only a sound processor can flatten all the signals right?

Once the Hu is connected to the amp either through the speaker level inputs or the PnP device for the Blau amp. I am assuming that the crossover inbuilt in the amps will split the low and high frequencies right?

Last edited by pranava999 : 9th June 2009 at 18:54.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:00   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Once the Hu is connected to the amp either through the speaker level inputs or the PnP device for the Blau amp. I am assuming that the crossover inbuilt in the amps will split the low and high frequencies right?
High or low level, once the signal is in the amplifier it will be processed and crossed over before it is amplified. So yes.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:42   #94
BHPian

Thanks Sam.

Another novice question.If the stock HU's compression represses the lower frequencies to protect the stock speakers, the amp's cross overs will basically work on the low frequency output post compression right? How much of a difference generally do you think this will make compared to an after market HU on low frequencies?
Old 10th June 2009, 00:58   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sam.

Another novice question.If the stock HU's compression represses the lower frequencies to protect the stock speakers, the amp's cross overs will basically work on the low frequency output post compression right? How much of a difference generally do you think this will make compared to an after market HU on low frequencies?
Does your stock HU have a HPF that is always on? I doubt it.

If it indeed was the case, you would need to un-eq the sound coming from the stock HU. Products are available from kicker and alpine and more that do this. There is (product under development FOREVER) a product from JBL, navin knows well what I'm talking about - which will be released and that is supposed to be the final answer, but thaat is not released, product is not available and will prabably cost much more than a head unit itself.

You're best off using the stock HU high level out and if that doesn't work, you could even try to create a RCA-level output from the audio section of the PCB inside the HU...

We're here to make things complex, you can count on us.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:00   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Products are available from kicker and alpine and more that do this. There is (product under development FOREVER) a product from JBL, navin knows well what I'm talking about - which will be released and that is supposed to be the final answer, but thaat is not released, product is not available and will prabably cost much more than a head unit itself.

You're best off using the stock HU high level out and if that doesn't work, you could even try to create a RCA-level output from the audio section of the PCB inside the HU...

We're here to make things complex, you can count on us.
1. There are products from RF (360), Alpine (650) and Audison (Bit 1) that -unprocess the HU's signal and reprocess it based on what they (the product's designers) think should be the sound using the installed amps and speakers (and OEM HU). None of them give the user much control although they all can be tricked to some extent - this requires a patient, knowledagble and competent installer and listener (after all the installer must know what the listneer wants to trick it accordingly).

2. Many HU's use a lot of EQ and compression so as not to stress the OEM speakers the car is supplied with. This EQ and compression while listenable with the OEM speakers can become less listenable with speakers that will reveal some or all of the processing.

3. As far as JBLs product goes the currrent state is that it is being redeveloped from almost scratch. If I tell you more I'd have to kill you or maybe Sam will kill both me and you. Anyway this product will be a flagship product and I would expect JBL to introduced stripped down versions for the rest of us. Hurry up JBL or the window of opportunity will be lost.

Like Sam said this topic can get very complicated and fast.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:10   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ghost_rider. This seems very promising. Any Idea how much it costs?

However just another issue I have been thinking of is the compression settings of the stock HU. Guess only a sound processor can flatten all the signals right?

HI , The pricing for the 4 channel Blaupunkt amp is 18.5 k, 1.9 k for the PnP adapter for Linea , 7.5 K for the amp wiring kit , from official Blaupunkt dealer in New Delhi. This to me is expensive.
Now, I did some more research on this and there are various options available on how to drive an amp from the OEM Head Unit :

1) Connect the speaker wires from the head unit to High Level input in the amp.
A lot of amps come with both RCA and High level inputs, so it should'nt be a problem. But purists would disagree with this kind of a setup saying there will be more signal to noise ratio and the sound will not be as clean and crisp. Also, there's a question mark on how well the amps flattens the amplified signal from the head unit.

2) Get something like JL audio Cleansweep, or RF 360.1/2 or similar stuff from Alpine or JBL.
Although these will work very well, but they are expensive. The JL Audio Cleansweep is available here for 30 K and I expect the RF 360 to be even more heavy on the pocket. Plus not to mention, the Rf requires a Palm OS compatible device to configure it and from what I've read its a bit complicated.

3) Get line out converters.
Line out converters will basically convert the speaker output into RCA preamp out. These can then be connected to amp of your choice.
A 2 channel LOC costs about Rs 450 here.
This seems by far the best and cheapest option in my opinion and will be using this route to ice my Linea(which by the way is expected any day now).

Looking for further inputs on this towards finding the perfect solution.

cheers
Old 10th June 2009, 17:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. There are products from RF (360), Alpine (650) and Audison (Bit 1) that -unprocess the HU's signal and reprocess it based on what they (the product's designers) think should be the sound using the installed amps and speakers (and OEM HU). None of them give the user much control although they all can be tricked to some extent - this requires a patient, knowledagble and competent installer and listener (after all the installer must know what the listneer wants to trick it accordingly).

2. Many HU's use a lot of EQ and compression so as not to stress the OEM speakers the car is supplied with. This EQ and compression while listenable with the OEM speakers can become less listenable with speakers that will reveal some or all of the processing.

3. As far as JBLs product goes the currrent state is that it is being redeveloped from almost scratch. If I tell you more I'd have to kill you or maybe Sam will kill both me and you. Anyway this product will be a flagship product and I would expect JBL to introduced stripped down versions for the rest of us. Hurry up JBL or the window of opportunity will be lost.

Like Sam said this topic can get very complicated and fast.
Thanks Sam and Navin. Truly honored by your presence on this thread

Sure I can understand that it can get complicated the deeper one goes but I now have some clarity on this. The more complicated you wanna go the better I have no issues , just helps me learn a lot more. Off late the more I am reading up the more interested I am.

About the JBL product, I am gonna keep my mouth shut. But there's always PM.
Definitely an opportunity coming up Sam. The New cars being launched especially the higher end variants seem to have these restrictive HUs.(The Jazz, The Linea, Skoda...)

Navin I think you have an alpine DSP right on your Skoda?

Navin, Ghost rider and Sam

The option I have in mind is getting the JL audio clean sweep down (that's the best I can afford) and to it will get connected the Infinity ref 475A. The sub and an additional amp may have to wait a few more months.

You are definitely right about finding a capable tuner and a listener. I am sure I can manage the listening bit to an extent, finding a tuner is the thing. Maybe once it's set up, if any one of you are in B'lore and are interested, you could lend thy ears as well. That would be valuable.

Ghost rider, thanks for the Pm and congrats on the new buy. Hope to see a review and pics soon.

Last edited by pranava999 : 10th June 2009 at 17:39.
Old 10th June 2009, 18:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
HI , The pricing for the 4 channel Blaupunkt amp is 18.5 k, 1.9 k for the PnP adapter for Linea , 7.5 K for the amp wiring kit , from official Blaupunkt dealer in New Delhi. ...
Hic, hic!

Which model of amp did you ask for / he quote for? The harness adapter (PnP?) and wiring kit is also price too high. Blaupunkt official prices are available in their printed catalog. You can also call another dealer anywhere in India to cross-check the prices quoted to you.
Old 10th June 2009, 20:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hic, hic!

Which model of amp did you ask for / he quote for? The harness adapter (PnP?) and wiring kit is also price too high. Blaupunkt official prices are available in their printed catalog. You can also call another dealer anywhere in India to cross-check the prices quoted to you.

The amp is Blaupunkt THA 475 Pnp. Its a 4 channel amp. Just scroll to the top of the page to see the details mentioned in my earlier post.
Can I get the prices online for this ?
Old 10th June 2009, 20:44   #101
BHPian

@deralte - Its for the Blau 475PNP. He must be referring to the THA series not the GTA, I guess,

Ghost rider, just one more thing the Linea front can handle 6.25" and only 5.25" inches speakers in the rear.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th June 2009 at 13:26.
Old 11th June 2009, 00:21   #102
BHPian

@Pranava
Have you fixed on the Components that you would be using for your front stage?
The last combination you had mentioned had the Illusion EL 6.2. Any updates there.
Old 11th June 2009, 12:54   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
About the JBL product, I am gonna keep my mouth shut. But there's always PM.
Navin I think you have an alpine DSP right on your Skoda?
Pranav. I think you will have to wait from JBL's formal announcement. I do not have the liberty to say more.

I have a 9835 in my Skoda. My wife has the Alpine 650 in her 2009 ANHC becuase she wanted to retain the OEM HU and look and I wanted TA.
Old 11th June 2009, 13:19   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Pranav. I think you will have to wait from JBL's formal announcement. I do not have the liberty to say more.

I have a 9835 in my Skoda. My wife has the Alpine 650 in her 2009 ANHC becuase she wanted to retain the OEM HU and look and I wanted TA.
Sure can understand Navin.Was just having a little tease.

Sorry about the mix up.Please don't mind....What do you think of the JL audio clean sweep?

Last edited by pranava999 : 11th June 2009 at 13:23.
Old 12th June 2009, 17:44   #105
BHPian

It's just an illusion EL6.1 component and EL52 coaxials

Today is a happy day.Finally received the speakers. Thanks Ajay was wonderful dealing with you.

The first bit of my ICE set up is here.Just can't wait to have everything in place and get them installed soon.

These are supposedly the new 6.1 components. The plan as of now is to power the 4 speakers with an amp, and maybe after a few months of saving up get a 2 channel amp and a sub.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE for my Linea-dsc01945.jpg  

ICE for my Linea-dsc01949.jpg  

ICE for my Linea-dsc01954.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks