Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 23:49   #1
BHPian

ICE for my Linea

Hi!

Been thinking of getting my Linea ICEd however am in a bit of a quandary and need some serious guru speak on this.The stock ICE is a Blaupunkt HU and I guess Blaupunkt speakers (fitted on the doors). Don't really know stock specs as the manuals in German or Italian and am not even sure if the HU has any pre outs or RCA slots or whatever thats needed to run an amp. I'm a total novice at the technical end (you must have figured it out by my previous sentence) Lets assume the HU does have the required pre out/RCA slot or whatever slot thats needed to connect an amp...I need some suggestions on what I need to do to ICE her.

My Budget is 20,000/- for 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and an Amp.Don't intend to add a sub right now.(spent whatever I had on buying her and now left with 20k)

As of now have a soft corner for Polk Audio speakers. I basically listen to a wide range of music from Rock to Raaga and hence I guess I need speakers that reproduce the mids and lows very well and naturally, with crisp highs. I hope I am not asking for the moon.

Need suggestions on speakers (whether component or not) and an Amp (4 channel). Thinking of door dampening as well. As the stock speakers are placed on the doors and at higher volumes music could be heard outside,as if the doors were the speakers.

Would sincerely appeciate a brand and price wise break up for the budget.

Thanks
Old 11th April 2009, 07:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

why 4 speakers. I'd recommend you to go for front compos and a 2/4 channel amp and power the stock rears through the hu.
For the amp you can go for jbl 1004 and for comps illusions will do the work

10k and 7k. 3 k for wiring and some damping on the front doors
Old 11th April 2009, 09:48   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

+1 with abhinav.
Get a 4 channel amp with front compos.
For components BULL audio is a very VFM buy( less than 6K) . For amp the JBL 1004 or maybe if you can find a kenwood 8401(do consider, this is a very nice amp). And a decent wiring kit for around 3K.
Run the compos off the amp, leave 2 channels for the sub later or power the rear speakers(your choice).

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 11th April 2009, 09:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Hi!

My Budget is 20,000/- for 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and an Amp.Don't intend to add a sub right now.(spent whatever I had on buying her and now left with 20k)

As of now have a soft corner for Polk Audio speakers. I basically listen to a wide range of music from Rock to Raaga and hence I guess I need speakers that reproduce the mids and lows very well and naturally, with crisp highs.

Thinking of door dampening as well. As the stock speakers are placed on the doors and at higher volumes music could be heard outside,as if the doors were the speakers.

Thanks
The linea Stock HU should have atleast one Preout not sure though.
Polks are generally bright sounding in nature, and eventually what matters is your listening preference. Try to audition different brands and finalise.

Some brands that you could have a look at is JBL, Hertz, Illusions

Hertz Deici series will be budget option for you
DSK 165 (6.5" comp) - Around 5K
DCX 165 ( 6.5" coax) - Around 3K for the rears

You can go for the JBL 1004 which should be around 10K

Linea is a better built car, may be you can do away with damping. If necessary you can always do it later.

Nandan
Old 11th April 2009, 10:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

if your head unit doesnt have an rca slot, you can look for an amp with line level inputs. hence allowing you to keep your stock HU and hence the stock look (i would prefer that)
on top of that, i would want you to get components in the front doors, and coaxial speakers in your rear doors. if you are keen on a sub, you must install that as well, as a sub makes a big difference.
a 1004 amplifier (dunno if it accepts line level input) costs about 10.5k
front components will cost you about 5-6k. theres a bevy of options available. depends on what you like.
rear door coaxials will cost you about 2k.
sub will cost you somewhere about 4k with the box.
and about 3k for the wiring and installation.
25k you are set!
subtract 4k for the sub if not interested
Old 11th April 2009, 10:59   #6
BHPian

get the hu checked b4 going for anything.. if it is a 1 pre-out.. no point in having a amp.
i did that mistake.. kept it for abt 6 months and then had to change the HU.. the difference was huge.. i mean the 3 pre-out.. i had an amp, front compos and rear 6*9.
i guess 20K is a good enough budget..
front compos - JBL - i guess u get it for 6K
rear 6*9 - any brand - about 6 K
Amp - about - 7K
a new HU - about 6-7K
so totally 25K .. u can drop the HU or one of the speakers to fit ur budget.
u may get about 2-3K for the old one
Old 11th April 2009, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would also recommend a set of good front component speakers. Many options out there, under 7k. I personally prefer the Illusion Electra speakers, but some find them more laid back than they want. In case you need something a bit "brighter", you could check out the JBL GTO 608C. Nice speakers too.
Run these speakers off a 4 channel amp like the others have recommended. Even though a 2 channel amp would be sufficient for your current needs, a 4 channel would be more "future proof", because we all know that your ICE cravings are never really satisfied Don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting a sub a couple of months down the line!
Fiats are solidly built, but I would recommend you damp the front doors. Damping really makes a positive difference to the sound. Noisekill is a popular and VFM damping material that many on the forum have used. It costs Rs. 150 per sq ft.
As per your assumption the stock HU has preouts, so you can hang onto that.
Keep the stock rear coaxials for now, and run them off the amp. If they sound really crappy and spoil the overall setup, then you have 2 options:
1. Get some good 6x9 speakers. Many options again, should cost 3-4k.
2. Go straight away for a subwoofer, as rear fills are not really that vital in a front component + sub setup. A decent 12" sub in a sealed box should cost around 5k.

Of course, one key assumption I have made is that you will be in the front seat most of the time. If you will be driven around sitting in the back, then a rear sound-stage setup would be called for. Things would change then.

So a rough breakup (without the rear speakers):
Front components + 4 channel amp + Damping + Wiring + Install
7 + 10 + 2 + 2 + 1 = ~22k
Slightly over the 20k mark, but these are approximations.

All the best!
Old 11th April 2009, 17:38   #8
BHPian

hi thanks a lot @abhinav, bharti, nandan, frank, madhukar. the advice is really helpful. did get some 3m sunfilm put for the car today and while that was being installed at our very own 'blueraven's' haunt i got a taste of the possibilities by auditioning a few rides there.

I always knew that being a music fanatic 20k is a conservative budget that i might find hard to stick to however have now decided to up it to 25~30k. not sure how the mrs will take to the news but what the heck the teenager in me doesnt really care,if not now then when...

I have the set up figured out. Planning to do away with the rear speakers and just stick to nice pair of laidback/neutral sounding components for the front maybe (found the polks too bright for my taste), a nice 4 channel amp and a subwoofer with wiring and a little dampening

Planning to add on the rears sometime in the future if the car averages more than 2 passengers...
Old 12th April 2009, 00:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always knew that being a music fanatic 20k is a conservative budget that i might find hard to stick to however have now decided to up it to 25~30k. not sure how the mrs will take to the news but what the heck the teenager in me doesnt really care,if not now then when...
Hehe looks like this is universal, for all 30'ish "teenagers". All the best!
Old 12th April 2009, 08:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Bitten by the ICE Bug huh?. From 20 K to 30 K, the team BHP effect hasnt really affected you LOL . I moved from 15K to 40K and still looking for more!

Quote:
I have the set up figured out. Planning to do away with the rear speakers and just stick to nice pair of laidback/neutral sounding components for the front maybe (found the polks too bright for my taste), a nice 4 channel amp and a subwoofer with wiring and a little dampening
30K is a decent budget and you could get some good compos and Sub combination. audition these before you buy. You taste of music may differ from others.

Nandan
Old 12th April 2009, 13:39   #11
BHPian

see if a JBL setup suits you
Old 12th April 2009, 17:47   #12
BHPian

@razor, santosh, nandan, amit thanks, sure will ..i now pretty much have an idea of the sound that i need , now lets just hope the stock HU can deliver decent sound with a good amp.
Old 13th April 2009, 00:43   #13
BHPian

Are you sure its safe to alter the stock ICE? Owner of the madurai Tata-Fiat car dealer told me that error lights starts to glow if any changes are done to the electrical output.
Old 13th April 2009, 08:52   #14
BHPian

@ harsha Interesting have not really heard of that. Will look into it. First off will have to see if the stock HU does have an RCA out.
Old 14th April 2009, 00:37   #15
BANNED

Quote:
@ harsha Interesting have not really heard of that. Will look into it. First off will have to see if the stock HU does have an RCA out.
suggest you check warranty & owner service policy booklet to ensure that this upgrade does not violate it & make warranty null & void.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks