Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 11:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Front Components: Boston S60 or Hertz component ESK 165 OK
Rear Coaxials: Boston S65 or Hertz Coaxial ESK 130 OK
Amplifier: Soundstream LW 4.480 - 4 channel There are better known ones
Line output converter: Tsunami Line output converter You will need this ONLY if your HU does not have Pre-outs. Check the HU manual first.
Speaker wiring kit: Audision Connection OK
Miscellaneous:Spacer rings, 50 feet of wiring and grounding, remote wiring to switch off the amp Nice way of highlighting cost, even the couple of meters of low cost wire for the amp remote. Actually, he is avoiding giving item-wise cost by talking this way - which is an indication of sharp practice to boost margins

Quote - Rs.40,000/- (excluding a subwoofer and is for the setup with Boston speakers) add another 3000/- if I opted for Hertz
40K excluding sub? Huh? Wow, that also without HU! Who is this installer, BTW?

Ask for individual prices, and compare with other brands and sources - Blaupunkt (Mandovi Motors Wilson Garden, behind BTS depot), JBL/Infinity (Sound Factor, Lavelle Road), EVO Cambridge Layout, TMC Jayanagar, even Sprocket Koramangala (usually 10% higher on first quote).

Be sure to audition the different brands, preferably installed in cars.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Met an installer yesterday and auditioned some Boston speakers. Sounded good no doubt. Was speaking to him about a set up and this is an option he recommended

Front Components: Boston S60 or Hertz component ESK 165
Rear Coaxials: Boston S65 or Hertz Coaxial ESK 130
Amplifier: Soundstream LW 4.480 - 4 channel
Line output converter: Tsunami Line output converter
Speaker wiring kit: Audision Connection
Miscellaneous:Spacer rings, 50 feet of wiring and grounding, remote wiring to switch off the amp

Quote - Rs.40,000/- (excluding a subwoofer and is for the setup with Boston speakers) add another 3000/- if I opted for Hertz
"
hey pranava:

here is the approx breakup (prices) - Mods / gurus: hope this isn't a violation to put up approximate prices - i have no commercial gain in this whole thing!

the boston comps are about 6k
the 4ch amp is 10.5
the wiring - tsunami - is about 3.5 for the 8 guage one (enough if you aren't gonna use a sub)
tsunami 4 gauge is about 10k though
coaxs - 3.3k
the linea's HU does not have preouts so you need a converter: either an audison - 6k or a cheaper less reliable one for as less as 2.5
speaker wire: 1.8k
sub boston g2 (300rms): 14000
box: 1 to 1.5 max (depending on pref)

so thats:
about 27 + misc (for a setup without a sub, using 8 guage wiring & the cheap converter)
30.3 + misc (upgrade to the audison converter)
33.8 + misc (add rear coaxs - though in my opinion its not needed)
43.3 to 43.8 + misc (for all except rear coaxs)
46.8 to 47.3 + misc (for the whole enchilada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
40K excluding sub? Huh? Wow, that also without HU! Who is this installer, BTW?
Hi deralte: i know this installer - he's a straight shooter man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ask for individual prices, and compare with other brands and sources - Blaupunkt (Mandovi Motors Wilson Garden, behind BTS depot), JBL/Infinity (Sound Factor, Lavelle Road), EVO Cambridge Layout, TMC Jayanagar, even Sprocket Koramangala (usually 10% higher on first quote).

Be sure to audition the different brands, preferably installed in cars.
i totally recommend this... and then install quality as well... i almost burned my car because of a reputed but popular / overcrowded thus careless installer (carpet burn - not the interesting kind - because of bad grounding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
40k JUST for this????
I think you're getting a RAW deal here, my friend!
it surely is a raw deal if thats what was quoted!!! check price breakup above

Quote:
boston and soundstream are not very popular brands in india, and that could point at efforts at 'stock clearance' by the installer.
sirji, you are an expert in this... ultimately the best judges are the ears, right?

not popularity, i hope!

i have the boston / ss setup and they are absolutely thrilling. did a loooooot of audiotioning before i bought them!!!

after all; fiats aren't popular in india either... certainly not indicative of quality!!!
Old 11th May 2009, 12:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

oh absolutely! i do know what you mean by that. but the 'popularity' aspect wasnt brought in to say, dont buy it. it was more like, it doesnt sell much (not atleast as much as the more popular jbl,pioneer,sony fare) and hence its a ploy by the installer to make a sale of old boston and soundstream products, and in the process, make a killing off them.
i am quite sure bostons sound brilliant!

PS: i have a bevy of 'not so popular' speakers (illusion audio is not very famous in india) in my car. but i LOVE them absolutely and only wish more people in India knew how brilliant they sound!
So i dont advocate the 'if its popular, buy it" philosophy :-)
Old 11th May 2009, 12:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
oh absolutely! i do know what you mean by that. but the 'popularity' aspect wasnt brought in to say, dont buy it. it was more like, it doesnt sell much (not atleast as much as the more popular jbl,pioneer,sony fare) and hence its a ploy by the installer to make a sale of old boston and soundstream products, and in the process, make a killing off them.
thank god i misunderstood (understood now)

the installer has actually made efforts to get the old bostons from other dealer friends of his - he's a big fan of bostons (not very good for his business, but he's passionate about them)

the dealer actually treasures his stock!!!

Quote:
PS: i have a bevy of 'not so popular' speakers (illusion audio is not very famous in india) in my car. but i LOVE them absolutely and only wish more people in India knew how brilliant they sound!
i've been keen on auditioning them for a while now.. them and gz - never heard them installed in cars, unfortunately
Old 11th May 2009, 13:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns666 View Post
... the installer has actually made efforts to get the old bostons from other dealer friends of his - he's a big fan of bostons (not very good for his business, but he's passionate about them)

the dealer actually treasures his stock!!!...
You are a true believer!

Ever heard of the saying "If a horse falls in love with grass, what will it eat?"
Old 11th May 2009, 15:49   #66
BHPian

@guns666 thanks for the break up. Guess I got myself confused with some of the components/brands in the setup. Was recalling from memory mate. New to the whole ICE experience.

I APOLOGIZE to you and to all concerned for any inconvenience causedby the setup option post. :(

Last edited by pranava999 : 11th May 2009 at 16:07.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I APOLOGIZE to you and to all concerned for any inconvenience causedby the setup option post. :(
hey no apologies man, c'mon!

i like people who buy (support) fiat and thats why i was imposing on your decisions for the ICE - ICEing fiats are a tricky business!

i've heard some pretty expensive installs and mostly they're all just loud as hell... headache after 10-20 mins. its difficult to find clean music - loud or soft. Thats the reason i recommend whatever i recommend.

one fiat brother helping another one out (i came all the way from sarjapur road for the audition)

...and pls dont thank me (thats not what i'm looking for) if you get a better deal than i did - monetary as well as quality, lemme know: all i'm gonna do is feel cheated, congratulate you, save some dough and change my setup (live and learn, right?)
Old 11th May 2009, 17:11   #68
BHPian

Near exact break up for the setup

Just to clear the air and avoid any confusion on such sensitive ICE issues for us ICErs and installers

Boston S60 Components = 6160/-
Boston S65 CoAx = 3900/-
ConnectionAudison Hi/Lo Converter = 6500/-
SoundStream LW 4.48 =10875/-
Tsunami Wiring Kit = 6500/-
Speaker Cables 50ft = 1800/-
Spacer rings = 1500/-
Fuse = 1500/-
Miscellaneous = 1000/-

Total = 38,235/- (inclusive of installation; does not include door damping)

Was fortunate to audition 3 different in car setups (including guns and wannabeloser - thanks guys) and the Bostons sound good. Closer to what I was looking for compared to JBL (not infinity) and Polk.

Waiting to audition Illusions as well. Just have not yet found a Bangalore member who has installed them.

In any case OT (for this post) I have a feeling ICEing my Linea is going to be a long drawn affair not merely because of being spoilt for choice on the equipment front, but also my worries about the Linea HU integration with Blue and Me and other electrical/technical issues.

Stay tuned

Last edited by pranava999 : 11th May 2009 at 17:18.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

spacer rings for 1500/- that's robbery man are they normal mdf or Plexiglas spacers, and which tsunami wiring kit is the installer using, and if you are buying the kit than why the fuse.
Old 12th May 2009, 01:25   #70
BHPian

karan not sure. I have not decided on the setup/install. was just looking around for options and it was just an initial inquiry so did not bother to get into the finer details.I put up the post to get an idea of what experienced icers here feel and have to say, mainy about the brands and the set up.

I am sure the installer has his pertinent views /opinions on his recommendations,so don't want to be unfairly critical at this juncture.

Have to work out options firstly in terms of a final budget, speakers and then an Installer who knows how to handle the electricals on the fiat.

Last edited by pranava999 : 12th May 2009 at 01:30.
Old 12th May 2009, 01:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns666 View Post
hey no apologies man, c'mon!
i like people who buy (support) fiat and thats why...one fiat brother helping another one out (i came all the way from sarjapur road for the audition) ........and pls dont thank me (thats not what i'm looking for)....(live and learn, right?)
HA ha thanks man... I feel stupid too, seems like I unintentionally stirred up a little hornet's nest. No serious harm done I hope.
BTW that's a pretty stunning looking Palio you got. It looks killer in black. Did you do something with the grill? it seemed different.Hope you not selling it.
Live and learn is what I am doing as well my friend. Cheers!

Last edited by pranava999 : 12th May 2009 at 01:41.
Old 12th May 2009, 09:41   #72
BHPian

Quote:
BTW that's a pretty stunning looking Palio you got. It looks killer in black. Did you do something with the grill? it seemed different.Hope you not selling it.
Thank you... she is happy to know u like :-)

no changes - all stock (for now)

she doesn't know about the sale remark - not selling (ever)

Thanks for the pm - and pls keep us all posted of the developments
Old 15th May 2009, 15:17   #73
BHPian

Line output controller or Sound processor ?

Like a few Linea owners in the forum here, I too have been planning on upgrading the sound system on the Linea and for me the big hurdle is the absence of pre outs/RCA in the stock HU and it's integration with Blue and Me, steering controls,....which I want to retain and yet want SQ.

In my quest so far, which might I add has been a truly educative one at that and one which I am thoroughly enjoying, have realised that there are two options (apart from the one -xplora- is pursuing with Blaupunkt - awaiting detailed description ) to integrate an amp to the stock HU through the speaker outputs are:
  1. Line output controller - My preferance based on googling - Type 1: Soundgate XR4PRO XR4PRO - SoundGate.com
  2. Sound processor - MTX re Q5 (based on googling) MTX re-Q5 5-channel bass restoration signal processor Get full bass response when adding amps to a factory system at Crutchfield.com
The plan is to take a call on whats the better option and brand. That's where I request your suggestions and expertise.
On the option and a recommended brand.

Thanks

Mods - I hope I am allowed to add those links. If links aren't permitted please remove them. They are there to primarily explain product specs and features.

Last edited by pranava999 : 15th May 2009 at 15:34.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

The 2 products you described are for different uses. Or rather, the 1st one (Line Level Converter, innovatively titled Line Output Controller) is what you need, and the second one has a bit more than you really need. If you really want a signal processor, you should go the whole hog and get a Alpine, RF or such processor, not a 'Bass Restorer'.

Search and read up on the forum - there are a few instances of people having used locally-bought 'Speaker to Line Level converters'. Check with your installer or search for it in the JC Road area. Some brands have a potentiometer to adjust, and some just fixed resistors - not that either has a greater advantage.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:40   #75
BHPian

@DerAlte I understand these are 2 different options/uses. That's exactly my dilemma. Both the products above have a common functionality when it comes to line output conversion, correct me I'm wrong. They both get connected to the speaker out and from there to the Amp. Sorry my bad didn't realise it was just a bass booster.

Have heard that LOC does not really do much for SQ. Will definitely look up a few more SP options.Any recommendations??

Thanks

Last edited by pranava999 : 16th May 2009 at 12:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks