Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 13:45   #31
BHPian

I am going to do these changes with my music system in Linea (MJD Emotion pack).
1) Will be pulling cable (one or two) from the battery to the boot which will supply power to the amplifiers. One woofer is 6200 and the other one is with some 400 watts, both pioneer. My friend is changing his music system hence I am buying the 6200 amp from him which has a line in feature which will be the source of input for the amplifier. This is a very important feature as there is no RCA / Pre out from the HU. There is this rear out going from the HU till the rear doors which plays the rear speakers. So from that wire I will attach a wire that will run till the boot (read rear seats back side) which will be holding amplifier/s. The other amplifier is a very old 4 channel amp that I 1st used in my Indica and than in accent. Though it is old it it good enough to play a woofer. It will be connected to the 1st amp's pre out.
2) Will place 2 subwoofers in the boot in two seperate boxes. Single box for both the woofers will sound better but i have thought for going for 2 seperate boxes for the reason that I will be able to remove one woofer if more boot space is required at any point of time. Both woofers are of 12 inch in size and 1 is of pioneer make which i had bought last year and the other one is from the brand kicker. This kicker woofer i am getting it from my friend who is selling it along with the amp (pioneer 6200).
3) Will Change the front speakers with a six inch component speakers of Earthquake brand. I know earthquake brand is not that great, but I had a limited budget. I paid 3600 for these compos and rest other brands were above 4000-5000.
Now the first amp (6200) will play the woofer as well as the front door compos. The other amp will power the 2nd woofer and the rear door speakes will be powered directly from the HU. There is this thin wire that will run between the HU and the amp. Its called that remote wire which switches the amp on and off along with the HU.
By doing all these changes will not be cutting any wire, hence warranty will stay intact. Confirmed this with Fiat officials I had met while I had been for my 1st serive at Tata service workshop at worli. They had come from Ranjangaon to check how things are going at service end.
2000 approx is the money spent on wiring, woofer boxes and installation charges.
I had a very tight budget and hence went in for such configuration.
Its saturday today and will be going on sunday to do all the installations.
Hope the system sound good.
Old 18th April 2009, 13:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

2 subwoofers of different types, and connecting 2 amplifiers to a head unit without any preouts is not a good idea sir!
Old 18th April 2009, 14:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
2 subwoofers of different types, and connecting 2 amplifiers to a head unit without any preouts is not a good idea sir!

Why is that so???
The amplifier has a line in input. So it converts the signal from high input to low input. And apart from that i dont have any option.
So can you explain me as to what problem will i face?
Old 18th April 2009, 14:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

2 subwoofers will make the bass sound muddled up, messed up, confused and a lot of boom boom. something to do with sinewaves of different kinds from the 2 subs (i am not at all well versed with this kind of talk, gurus please elaborate on this)
also voltage from the line level output is lesser than it is from a dedicated preout. not to forget the fact that you are also powering the rear speakers off the head unit, putting even more load on it (head unit). hence there will be a lot of noise and the smallest of noise will be amplified and relayed to you by the front speakers. i have a feeling, the head unit will blow with such a tremendous demand from a puny line level output!
Old 18th April 2009, 14:42   #35
BHPian

Budget's now been upgraded to Rs.30,000/- (Yes officially bitten by the ICE bug) Any suggestions Frank and the other gurus,looking for SQ specifically with the present constraints of the Stock HU? Thinking of Illusion components but still undecided about the rear coaxial, sub and amp.
Old 18th April 2009, 14:44   #36
BHPian

THIS sounds like a recipe for a mess especially the idea of two subs in two diff boxes playing off two amps coming from a line in. here's my solution. use ONE SUB AND AMP in combo. the other amp you can use to power the front and if you want sell the subs and swap for better comps if they are new.

secondly what frank i think is saying is that with this two sub and amp thing there will be too much resonance rather than clear bass not to forget disturbance also. they would have to synced and tuned to perfection to make it work. thats not something that every installer can do. i hope you have a good installer. best of luck.
Old 18th April 2009, 17:46   #37
BHPian

Thanx Gurus

Hey thank you so much for your feed back valhallen.282 and frankmehta.
Now I am thinking to install an amp and those compos. Later I will upgrade the rear ones with compos and if necessary install the 2nd amp.
Old 18th April 2009, 20:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

please make sure you follow the advice meted out to you here. your approach is slightly wrong, but i appreciate your spirit to get things right!
cheers!
pranava: lets start all over! 30k is good now! can you possibly change your head unit?

Last edited by frankmehta : 18th April 2009 at 20:24.
Old 18th April 2009, 21:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
pranava: lets start all over! 30k is good now! can you possibly change your head unit?
No mate don't want to get the HU changed because I don't want to lose out the steering controls and the Bue and me functionality associated with it. Also will not look pretty getting the console out.

However whats saved on the HU and the extra 10k comes in handy for the amp, sub and speakers
Old 19th April 2009, 00:29   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2 subwoofers will make the bass sound muddled up, messed up, confused and a lot of boom boom. something to do with sinewaves of different kinds from the 2 subs (i am not at all well versed with this kind of talk, gurus please elaborate on this)
also voltage from the line level output is lesser than it is from a dedicated preout. not to forget the fact that you are also powering the rear speakers off the head unit, putting even more load on it (head unit). hence there will be a lot of noise and the smallest of noise will be amplified and relayed to you by the front speakers. i have a feeling, the head unit will blow with such a tremendous demand from a puny line level output!
Prash let me get this straight...
1. you have a stock HU with no pre outs
2. you have 1 6200 amp and one other amp
3. you have a kicker sub and pio sub
4. you have earthquake components and stock OEM speakers for the rear.

When I was 14 or 16 I tried something like this and while the system did not blow and played loud it was far from musical.

1. most stock HUs have a lot of processing built in to their pre amp sections and just amplifying this signal and connecting the same to better speakers might not be best.

2. assuming that you can live with the processed signal all you really need to do is
a) use the 6200 for the front and the sub (pick the better sub by listening to both)
b) use the HU for the rear but it might make sense to extract the subwoofer signal from the rear speaker out than from the front speaker out.
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:34   #41
BHPian

Dont Touch The Music System

DONT TOUCH THE MUSIC SYSTEM ITS DANGERUOUS. And I am talking about the Lineas with Blue & Me.
I took my car to the guy who does job for audio systems in all my cars. I can easily bet that he does his job pretty well as he is in this business from past 15 yrs and has done jobs on high end car as well. But this time he is not getting it right.
Have gone in for (finally) an sony 4 channel amp, two front compos of 6 inches and a woofer in the boot. Rear door speakers are as it is. The overall sound is pretty OK. Nothing great as there is not much that can be done as the HU does not have any seperate setting for the woofer. So woofer (wired from amp) is being played along with the company provided rear speakers and the front (again) from the amp.
There is no pre out in the HU so woofer and speakers are being played from the high level input of the amp. Now the biggest problem that was faced. There was no remote wire out from the HU. So the amp does not start and does not switches off along with the HU. And normally if that wire is not attached the amp wont start but to my shock THE AMPLIFIER STILL RUNS WHEN THE REMOTE WIRE IS NOT ATTACHED. The guy who was also shocked did try but in vein. The amplifier kicks on as and when the key is turned on and shuts itself when the car is turned off. And to the answer of amp being played without the remote wire I was told that the current is passing from the speaker wires inserted in the high input plug of the amp.
And all of this is happening because Fiat has built this system in such a manner that one can use the mobile phone without switching on the HU. So HU remains off but the amp and the speakers start working. Only sign on the HU display is 'Voice' and it switches itself off after the phone is disconnected. Even while there is no connection for Blue & Me and when the Microsoft switch (on the steering wheel) is pressed the sound of the female is produced while the HU is still off. So it means that though the HU remains off in these modes the amplifier (in the HU) is active all the time. I got to know this again when the HU was removed and when i touched. It was pretty hot though I was not playing music at all.
NOW CAN GURUS PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS. MY AMPLIFIER REMAINS ON FROM THE TIME I START THE CAR AND TILL I SWITCH OFF THE ENGINE. I only have a temporary solution in which i have to pull the line in socket in the amplifier and it shuts off. Is there a problem in the amplifier? How can i get to know if my amp has a problem.
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:03   #42
BHPian

I don't see what the issue is if the amp remains on its fine it doesn't really matter. the blue and me is a subsystem of the vehicle that runs independently from the HU. This is the case with most inbuilt bluetooth and gps systems. when music is playing however in the event of a notification, the subsystem overrides the hu by pausing or muting the audio. though since your amp is new i would suggest you atleast get a pio amp over the sony. or if you don't mind it get a jbl or hertz amp.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:38   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Have gone in for (finally) an sony 4 channel amp, two front compos of 6 inches and a woofer in the boot. So woofer (wired from amp) is being played along with the company provided rear speakers and the front (again) from the amp. There is no pre out in the HU so woofer and speakers are being played from the high level input of the amp. There was no remote wire out from the HU. The amplifier kicks on as and when the key is turned on and shuts itself when the car is turned off. And to the answer of amp being played without the remote wire I was told that the current is passing from the speaker wires inserted in the high input plug of the amp.
And all of this is happening because Fiat has built this system in such a manner that one can use the mobile phone without switching on the HU. So HU remains off but the amp and the speakers start working. Only sign on the HU display is 'Voice' and it switches itself off after the phone is disconnected. Even while there is no connection for Blue & Me and when the Microsoft switch (on the steering wheel) is pressed the sound of the female is produced while the HU is still off. So it means that though the HU remains off in these modes the amplifier (in the HU) is active all the time. I got to know this again when the HU was removed and when i touched. It was pretty hot though I was not playing music at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
I don't see what the issue is if the amp remains on its fine it doesn't really matter. the blue and me is a subsystem of the vehicle that runs independently from the HU. This is the case with most inbuilt bluetooth and gps systems. when music is playing however in the event of a notification, the subsystem overrides the hu by pausing or muting the audio.

What wire is the Acessory On in your Ignition wires maybe you can use that.

a second alternate is to get one of these

Products Detail

Power Acoustik Avir 4 Wireless A/V Controller (4 In, 4 Out) - Reviews, Features, and Prices $111 - $148 at DealTime

lastly...
The cheap and easy way around this is to add a switch in series with the amp's remote terminal off of a switched accessory wire.
Old 24th April 2009, 12:28   #44
BHPian

Hi pranava. congrats & welcome to the fiat club

wow!! 30 k without a HU is an awesome budget, you can do wonders. i listen to similar music (floyd) and then some more (very heavy metal)

from my experience with ICEing fiats, let me tell you that any electrical changes in the fiat is very risky (warranty as well as complexity) and needs to be done by someone who knows fiats (more important) than someone who can do very good ICE installs

that said, you can install come clean compos in the front, clean coaxs in the back (or leave the one you have) put a sub and power them all with amps that have crossover adjustment (some actually dont - just gains)

i recommend you audition clean speakers like bostons (my fav), JLs, rainbows, hertz or audisons. JBLs are popular because they are loud (though in my opinion - not clean)
Old 24th April 2009, 12:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
I don't see what the issue is if the amp remains on its fine it doesn't really matter. the blue and me is a subsystem of the vehicle that runs independently from the HU. This is the case with most inbuilt bluetooth and gps systems. when music is playing however in the event of a notification, the subsystem overrides the hu by pausing or muting the audio. though since your amp is new i would suggest you atleast get a pio amp over the sony. or if you don't mind it get a jbl or hertz amp.
Jbl amp in my budget didnt have a line level input. And pioneer amps r not available much. Every1 was with the view that pioneer is not doing well in amps. Hence got sony. But ya i am also not too happy with the sony sound.
About the Blue n Me i guess its using the amplifier of the HU to amplify its voice/sound. That is the reason the amplifier of the HU remains on though the systems seems to be off on display.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks