Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 11:37   #196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
1. HU - Alpine CDE102 (already purchased)
Front - Infinity/Polk components, probably 6.5"
Rear - Infinity/Polk components, 6.5" or 5" ... whichever fits.

2. HU - Alpine CDE102 (already purchased)
Rear - Infinity/Polk 6x9 ovals on the parcel tray

I plan to drive my setup with HU only. I'm not planning for an amp even in future.

Few clarifications
1. I know that components put out their best when driven by an amp, but can/will this Alpine HU drive the components to a decent level ?
2. To fix the 6x9 ovals on the rear parcel tray, do I need to make any metal cuttings ?
1. ginve that you will not add a subwoofer or amp i would usggest getting the 6x9s if only to get some semblance of bass.
2. while an amp will extract more from your components for low-moderate levels the HU will work. An amp will not only help you go louder but also help control the components better this is most noticeable in the bass quality.
Old 28th November 2009, 18:52   #197

Hi,

I got the LINEA petrol emotion pack and was planning to give some boosting to the music. Checked this thread, but to be frank didnt understand much. Could anybody advise me in simple lay-mans language what all can be the best options for me - I feel probably my music taste is similar to pranava - I hear classicals, gazals, old hindi / malayalam songs and also rock & Pop. I had a 100% SONY system in my earlier estilo - the music player/front/rear/amp/sub/ tweeter but its only giving thumbing sound - i am not even sure whether the tweeters are of any use in that - no chilling sound at all. I was not bothered to refine it as most of the time it was used by my wife...

Well - I am not sure whether I am mixing too much here - but I would like to hear the vibrant sound of Jagjit singh gazals, clear and elegant voice of yesudas & kishore kumar oldies, chilling sounds of favourite pop/slow classics, thumbing sounds for the eng/hindi rocks - rocking...

My little knowledge/ignorance about the music system made me think of replacing the rear speakers with JBL oval speakers, change tweeters with JBL/ pioneer if necessary and an amp and sub of any good make. But dont know what specs to ask for. Too illeterate to post a thread on ICE... right? But I am sure I will get some good advise (that will digest to a lay man) from the expert Gurus here - thats why I love Team-bhp.

Please advise your thoughts - I assume that you know what is available with LINEA Emotion factory fitted system - What I know is that its Blaupunkt player. Also please advise a good centre in Bangalore - reliable & aconomical. I plan to spend around 20 - 25 K on this. Do I need to do dampening of the doors as pranav mentioned? and where to fit the sub?

Vijipillai
Old 29th November 2009, 13:23   #198
Senior - BHPian

1. Unless you get a small kutty sub that goes under the front seat, a sub most of the times goes into the boot. Wasn't it in the boot in your Estilo?

2. 'Chilling' is a rather unnatural accent on high frequencies, which can cause fatigue in listening for most people. What we normally try to get is a natural-sounding system, in which all instruments and voices sound as they would sound in a live performance

3. 'Thumbing' (I think you mean thumping, as in thumping bass) is contributed by the sub as well as the mid-bass in the doors. A system can also be tuned for all 'thump', which again is rather unnatural, and usually meant to attract attention to the car and it's occupants, not for listening pleasure. A well tuned system will 'thump' as much as the music you are playing needs

4. You have a decent budget for replacing all speakers as well as adding an amp and sub. For that you have plenty of choice: Blaupunkt, JBL, Infinity, Alpine, Polk etc. for speakers, and Blaupunkt, JBL, Kenwood and even Pioneer for amps

5. Damping of the doors reduces the noise that comes into the car, which enables you to hear more of the music. Damping also ensures that all parts that cause rattling are stayed down well. Damping will cost you around 5K
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:39   #199

Hi,

Checked the options to ICE my Linea. The estimate is as follows :

High Low Converter - Rs. 3000/-
Front Component speakers JBL GTS S265/ Infinity - Rs. 4500/7000
Rear 5 1/4 JBL/ co axial Infinity - Rs. 1900/ 3800
Amp JBL - Rs. 6500/-
Subwoofer JBL 1100 W - Rs. 3200/-
Box - Rs. 1100/-
Other accessories cables etc. Rs.1000/-

Can any Gurus advise me whether this can give good effect and the quote is OK? JBL can give good effect and whether infinity makes a noticable difference?

Vijipillai
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:52   #200
Senior - BHPian

Infinity speakers sound more refined to me. Of course, more than other people's opinions, you should actually listen to the speakers before taking a decision. Your own ears (and what is in between) are the best judge, and you just might consider harsh what maybe OK for others, and vice versa. Between JBL GT5 and Infinity, I would choose the Infinity. GT5 and Infinity are not an even comparison - JBL GTO is better than GT5.

Where did you get the quote from? Looks OK, though the Infinity components should be slightly less. Are the prices with bill and warranty?
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:30   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Infinity speakers sound more refined to me. Of course, more than other people's opinions, you should actually listen to the speakers before taking a decision. Your own ears (and what is in between) are the best judge, and you just might consider harsh what maybe OK for others, and vice versa. Between JBL GT5 and Infinity, I would choose the Infinity. GT5 and Infinity are not an even comparison - JBL GTO is better than GT5.

Where did you get the quote from? Looks OK, though the Infinity components should be slightly less. Are the prices with bill and warranty?
Yes its with 1 year warranty. Does the pricing look ok?
Old 4th December 2009, 10:17   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
GT5 and Infinity are not an even comparison - JBL GTO is better than GT5.
OT but interesting:
I may be wrong (Sam Kapasi will be able to confirm this) but the current GTO was voiced on the GT5 becuase it was felt that the more restrined sound of the GT5 (compared to the older GT0) was preferable. Normally speaker voicing is done the other way around - a flagship speaker is created and then lesser models are voiced to the flagship.
Old 21st December 2009, 07:56   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I have 2 setups in mind, which one of these would be a better choice, pls advice. My requirements are good SQ, good amount of base and I want the setup to fill the car evenly with sound when switched on.

1. HU - Alpine CDE102 (already purchased)
Rear - Infinity/Polk components, 6.5" or 5" ... whichever fits.

2. HU - Alpine CDE102 (already purchased)
Rear - Infinity/Polk 6x9 ovals on the parcel tray

I plan to drive my setup with HU only. I'm not planning for an amp even in future.

Few clarifications
1. I know that components put out their best when driven by an amp, but can/will this Alpine HU drive the components to a decent level ?
2. To fix the 6x9 ovals on the rear parcel tray, do I need to make any metal cuttings ?
I got my ICE setup done on saturday. The setup is
HU - Alpine CDE102
Front - Infinity components reference series 6030CS (6.5")
Rear - Infinity components reference series 6030CS (6.5")

I also got some damping done on all four doors. The output is clear and neat. The car is evenly filled with sound and the highs are kinda silky. Though there isnt much semblance of bass, overall performance is good Unfortunately I forgot to take my cam, result no pictures.

@navin & @pranava, thank you very much for your suggestions.
Old 21st December 2009, 15:12   #204
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
I got my ICE setup done on saturday. The setup is
HU - Alpine CDE102
Front - Infinity components reference series 6030CS (6.5")
Rear - Infinity components reference series 6030CS (6.5")

I also got some damping done on all four doors. The output is clear and neat. The car is evenly filled with sound and the highs are kinda silky. Though there isnt much semblance of bass, overall performance is good Unfortunately I forgot to take my cam, result no pictures.

@navin & @pranava, thank you very much for your suggestions.
Great to know that. I am also looking to upgrade the speakers in my Linea. Would appreciate if you could let me know the following,

- Bass response compared to the stock speakers
- Modifications required to install the speakers
- Damping material used
- How is the sound insulation with the damping material.
- A break up of the cost involved.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:29   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
Great to know that. I am also looking to upgrade the speakers in my Linea. Would appreciate if you could let me know the following,

- Bass response compared to the stock speakers
Mine was active variant, so cant comment on comparison with stock speakers, IMO the after market products should sound better.
- Modifications required to install the speakers
No modifications were done on the doors except for the fixing of mdf spacers
- Damping material used
Sticky sheet like dynamat was used inside the door and thin thermacoal sheet was used as insulation btw the door and door panel.
- How is the sound insulation with the damping material.
It sounds good and there are no vibrations or jarring from the door.
- A break up of the cost involved
HU - $130 (got from usa)
Infinity speakers - Rs.6.5/pair
Installation - 2.5k including damping.
Hope this helps. Sorry I dont have any pictures to showcase the damping done.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:45   #206
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Hope this helps. Sorry I dont have any pictures to showcase the damping done.
Thanks for the info.
Old 1st January 2010, 23:55   #207
BHPian

hey guys i have a linea e+
and as of now the the ice comprises of
1. Stock HU
2. Front jbl speakers (dont know the code)
3. Rear stock speakers
4. Got 2 jbl oval speakers fitted in the tray area.
But after all this i am not getting the bass which i want.
I listen to rap and hip hop mostly and occasionally some punjabi songs.
So mostly my songs comprise of HEAVY BASS.
which i am not able to get through the present system.
Pleas help and tell me the additions i can do to make THE BASS EFFECT, without voiding the warranty of the car.
Thanks.
ishlinea7260
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:48   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
1. Stock HU
2. Front jbl speakers (dont know the code)
4. Got 2 jbl oval speakers fitted in the tray area.
But after all this i am not getting the bass which i want.
Your HU is desinged to drive only 4 speakers. you got 6. So which 4 are being used?

1. check if your speakers are wired in phase. reverse the connections on one speaker and see if the bass improves.

2. get an amplifier. a good basic one (Kenwood, Pioneer, JBL, Blaupunkt) will cost you about 7K plus RCA wires and Power cables.

3. Damp the rear trunk and doors.
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:43   #209
BHPian

[quote=navin;1660785]Your HU is desinged to drive only 4 speakers. you got 6. So which 4 are being used?
Well i guess all 6 of them are working the guy did some wiring stuff and probably my oval speakers are getting power through the rear speakers

1. check if your speakers are wired in phase. reverse the connections on one speaker and see if the bass improves.
um "wired in phase" didnt get your point. Please pardon my ignorance as i am a noob when it comes to car audio.
2. get an amplifier. a good basic one (Kenwood, Pioneer, JBL, Blaupunkt) will cost you about 7K plus RCA wires and Power cables.
Which amplifier should i get as in how many channels?
Also the best place to place it.
What do you think about a sub or a bass tube?
Is it possible to run a sub/bass tube with the OE HU?

I havnt seen damping done in the cars.
Could you please enlighten me on this point as in which company or brand should i go in for?
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:08   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
um "wired in phase" didnt get your point. Please pardon my ignorance as i am a noob when it comes to car audio.

Which amplifier should i get as in how many channels?
Also the best place to place it.
What do you think about a sub or a bass tube?
Is it possible to run a sub/bass tube with the OE HU?

I havnt seen damping done in the cars.
Could you please enlighten me on this point as in which company or brand should i go in for?
reverse the wires on any one speaker (the speaker has 2 wires coming to it - reverse the connection).

a basic 4 ch amp will cost you 6-8K (kenwood, JBL, pioneer, blaupunkt etc.. all make such an amp). the easiest place to stick the amp is on the back of the rear seat. bass tubes are boomy a sealed box sub offers tighter abss. no you cannot run your subwoofer with the OE HU. You wont damage to sub or anything like that but you wont get much output.

I suggest you visit a few installers and talk to them about damping etc...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks