Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 11:21   #16
BHPian

Oh! I know what that spacer looks like.
I am concerned about whether we need to seal any edges with something as I saw in some threads.
If yes, then I need more info.
Old 4th July 2010, 16:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

No, you don't need to seal it, as long as there are no visible gaps around the spacer outside edges. The rubber gasket on the underside of the speaker mounting ring is enough sealing. Don't bother about closing the other large / small holes on the door inner side sheet metal.
Old 6th July 2010, 23:18   #18
BHPian

As of now, I shall be retaining the MTX RTS602 Components from my Zen and use them in my Fiesta in the front. The rears would be stock and powered by the Head Unit. The specifications are as follows-
RMS Power: 60W
Max Power: 240W
Impedance: 4Ohm
Frequency response: 48Hz - 25KHz
Sensitivity: 93.0 dB / 2.83 v/1m
Tweeter: 19mm Silk Dome
Woofer diameter: 16cm
Woofer mounting depth: 60.5mm
Original MTX Injected Polypropelene steel basket woofer cone with black rubber surround
Aluminium voice coil
25 mm Voice coil former
Powerfull 19mm Silk dome tweeter

My dad has finalized a budget of 15000 Rupees. LOL, my dad doesn't frequent the ICE section.
I need to buy 4Channel Amplifier to power the Front components and a 12" Sub. My listening tastes are as quoted below-

Quote:
1. I want the lows to be somewhat tight and of the type that doesn't overpower the vocals. I want the subwoofer to go real low and hit hard but that too, quite musically. I hate it if there is a lot of "BOOM" in the subwoofer. A little bit of it is fine when I am listening to Hip-Hop want to feel the bass and it should be punchy enough to creep into my bones. Suggest me an all-rounder sub.
with the type of enclosure for it.
2. The mids, as far as I know is a spectrum of sound where most of the details reside. I want the mids to be extremely musical and not "EAGER", if you can picture this. The mids should be strong and they should not be "FAKE".

3. The highs. Now, this is where it all sums up for me. I JUST HATE BRIGHT AND HARSH VOCALS. I want minimal lisping and whistling. The highs should be realistic and soothing even when female vocals are played. The desi-chhun chhun just puts me off! But at the same time the highs should be accurate and clear. Nothing like what it sounds like when I tone down the highs to -3 in my Pioneer headunit and suddenly a lot of detail is lost.

All in all, I want a clean sounding setup, as realistic as possible and ultra-soothing to listen to. My dad would also be driving the car and we both have quite similar music tastes.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 6th July 2010 at 23:19.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:34   #19
BHPian

What are the pros and cons of the following 4 Channel Amplifiers?
Does their sound signature match my liking?

1. Kenwood KAC 8401 (This is my installer's first choice)
Kenwood Corporation | Car Electroics | Power Amplifiers | KAC-8401

2. Blaupunkt GTA 4 MkII (Read a lot about it here)
Blaupunkt GTA 4 Special MKII Power Amplifier Details - CarWale.com

3. Auditor RIP 4280 (Another recommendation by my installer)
RIP 4180 - Amplifiers 4 power channels

Regarding Subwoofers, I am very confused.
If there are any other brands of amps and subs that you would like to suggest, please do, keeping in mind my listening tastes and the budget.
Old 9th July 2010, 13:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
... Does their sound signature match my liking? ...
Funny. You are asking others this question?
Old 9th July 2010, 14:18   #21
BHPian

Yeah! That's because I am deaf.
Jokes apart, I meant to say if the above mentioned products are worth an audition for me. This is mainly because the place from where I would be getting my stuff is usually crowded. So, I wanted to know which products to audition in my car once I go there.

I am telling you all again and again to keep my listening preferences in mind and give me suggestions. Plus, this is the first time I would be going in for such a setup so, I really don't know how woofer sounds differ from product to product. That is why this thread and my statement.
This is what I am talking about-
Quote:
1. I want the lows to be somewhat tight and of the type that doesn't overpower the vocals. I want the subwoofer to go real low and hit hard but that too, quite musically. I hate it if there is a lot of "BOOM" in the subwoofer. A little bit of it is fine when I am listening to Hip-Hop want to feel the bass and it should be punchy enough to creep into my bones. Suggest me an all-rounder sub.
with the type of enclosure for it.
2. The mids, as far as I know is a spectrum of sound where most of the details reside. I want the mids to be extremely musical and not "EAGER", if you can picture this. The mids should be strong and they should not be "FAKE".

3. The highs. Now, this is where it all sums up for me. I JUST HATE BRIGHT AND HARSH VOCALS. I want minimal lisping and whistling. The highs should be realistic and soothing even when female vocals are played. The desi-chhun chhun just puts me off! But at the same time the highs should be accurate and clear. Nothing like what it sounds like when I tone down the highs to -3 in my Pioneer headunit and suddenly a lot of detail is lost.

All in all, I want a clean sounding setup, as realistic as possible and ultra-soothing to listen to. My dad would also be driving the car and we both have quite similar music tastes.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 9th July 2010 at 14:24.
Old 10th July 2010, 01:45   #22
BHPian

Once I happened to listen to my bro's basic JBL Car Speakers (Components + Ovals powered by a JVC Headunit). They were too bright, I tried equalizng but still no respite. They were not at all musical or even "good" for me (purely my opinion, no offence). So, does this signature of them get carried to their amps as well?
I am talking about the JBL GT5 S644/ GTO 1004. Are they "bright" sounding just like their speakers?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 10th July 2010 at 01:46.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:49   #23
BHPian

Today, I went to my installer's place to inquire prices for the following items-

Amplifiers-

1. Kenwood KAC 8401
2. Auditor RIP 4280 (He strongly recommends this one)
3. JBL GT5-S644 (He says they would make the speakers sound bright)
4. Blaupunkt GTA4 Special MK2 (He said this amp is very good)

Subwoofers-
1. Bull Audio ESW-12 (He says he doesn't stock them but can get them for me)
2. JBL CS1204BR
3. JBL GT5 S12
4. Ground Zero GZTW 30T (Readily available for 6000)
5. Ground Zero GZTW 12 MK2

He said that entry level JBL Amps like the GT5 S644 would make my MTX components play "very bright". He suggested to buy the Auditor RIP 4280 Amp instead.

2. As for the sub, he suggested MTX subwoofer which come with their own "tube-like" enclosures. Now, I asked him if it would sound boomy to which he replied in negative saying that they are very musical. I doubt this statement of his. Can somebody confirm?

3. I am also confused as to which subwoofer enclosure would suit my listening tastes as mentioned in earlier posts. And suggestions? Should I get a sealed one or a ported? Or a Bass reflex like the JBL CS1204BR? Do sealed enclosure make the sub go real low? Do sealed enclosures have the punch?

I quote my listening tastes yet again-

Quote:
1. I want the lows to be somewhat tight and of the type that doesn't overpower the vocals. Every instrument should be heard just like the way they were recorded. No exaggeration of any kind. I want the subwoofer to go real low and hit hard but that too, quite musically. I hate it if there is a lot of "BOOM" in the subwoofer. I want a very versatile subwoofer capable of playing most types of sounds, fast slow, hip hop with equal finesse. I want to feel the bass and it should be punchy enough to rock into my bones. Suggest me an all-rounder sub with the type of enclosure for it.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 10th July 2010 at 14:07.
Old 10th July 2010, 14:39   #24
BHPian

Try to audition the iD CTX subwoofer. I think it's a great VFM subwoofer. Should be available for ~8k. I heard one in a 0.8 cu. ft box in an Octavia and found it really good!

Out of the 4 amps you suggested, I'd say go for Kenwood 8401. I think it should be available for around 6 6.5k.

Good luck!
Old 10th July 2010, 15:16   #25
BHPian

I think the ID subwoofer would be very much underpowered by the Kenwood 8401.
Don't you think so?
Can I have it's specs?
Which kind of box was used for the ID sub? I think 0.8 cu.ft. would be a sealed one? Right?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 10th July 2010 at 15:21.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:59   #26
BHPian

That's correct. It was a sealed box and the CTX was powered by a Bull Audio amp giving ~180W bridged power.

Sorry I don't have the specs sheet with me but I did try the same sub in my car and I don't think it was underpowered (I have a 8401). Played Drum'n'Bass, UK Garage, Trance and some Punjabi numbers and it was great! But then, I am more of an SQ guy. And yep, I believe the 0.8 cu.ft box made the sub sound real tight, controlled and punchy but I like my bass smooth with more low end extension, so I wouldn't use a box smaller than 1.1 cu ft for an iD CTX.

Finalize on a sub only when you are totally satisfied. Audition as many subs as you can. Once done, the hunt for the perfect subwoofer box begins. I remember I changed 4 boxes for my ICE install

Good luck bro! Keep us posted.

Last edited by thelord : 10th July 2010 at 17:06.
Old 10th July 2010, 19:46   #27
BHPian

LBMji once told me that Kenwood 8401 is very much hyped on Team-BHP. He said there are no good Highs and Lows in this amp but just mids. What opinion do you hold about your Kenwood 8401. Which components are they powering?

What do you like the most and hate the most about this amp?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 10th July 2010 at 19:48.
Old 10th July 2010, 20:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LBMji once told me that Kenwood 8401 is very much hyped on Team-BHP. He said there are no good Highs and Lows in this amp but just mids. What opinion do you hold about your Kenwood 8401. Which components are they powering?

What do you like the most and hate the most about this amp?
He (LBM) is pretty right about that puny amp..

Audition it, compare it and THEN buy. After all its your hard earned money.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:00   #29
BHPian

Pankyji, what amp and sub combo do you suggest suiting my listening preferences
Old 10th July 2010, 23:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Try to audition the iD CTX subwoofer. I think it's a great VFM subwoofer. Should be available for ~8k. I heard one in a 0.8 cu. ft box in an Octavia and found it really good!

Out of the 4 amps you suggested, I'd say go for Kenwood 8401. I think it should be available for around 6 6.5k.

Good luck!
The box in Skoda is 1 cu.ft !

Quote:
That's correct. It was a sealed box and the CTX was powered by a Bull Audio amp giving ~180W bridged power.
130W RMS!

Quote:
Pankyji, what amp and sub combo do you suggest suiting my listening preferences
Yes even i would like to know what combo pankyji suggests.

Last edited by abhibh : 10th July 2010 at 23:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks