Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 19:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid_ram View Post
Superb equipments. Waiting for audition
Thank you and it would be my pleasure. The Kicker sticker is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Gilead, nice detailed writeup.

Few more details will make it a ready reckoner, at least for Fiestians. Since you have gone thru all the trials & tribulations, request some further info:
My ICE is not Fiesta specific. I would have probably put the same in some other car as well.

Quote:
  1. Fiesta Specific
    • Front/Rear speaker size/diameter? If I am looking to replace the stock OEM speaker, and keen on an exact fit in the avlbl space, what are the sizes I am looking at?
Fiesta OE speaker size is 5X7. There are very few good options in this size. 6.5" with a spacer is the way to go. All the best speakers in various price ranges are available in this size and they fit into the Fiesta without any issues. Mine, sathee46's and frankmehta's cars are all running 6.5"
Quote:
    • Have noticed a small tweeter like speaker on the fiesta at the front,bottom corner of front side windows -what are those and is that part of a front speaker setup or separate?
These are the tweeters in the sail panel, but the Fiesta does not come with crossovers that can take good advantage of them. A component speaker set will come with a driver that you can fit on the door, a crossover that can he hidden inside the door and a tweeter that will go into the sail panel. Get speakers that come with 1" tweeters. The JL tweeters went cleanly into the OE slot without any cutting.

Quote:
Can you provide a consolidated master inventory of items required for the setup you did? Maybe except from the insulation tapes which Pwoerzone may provide, anything and everything which is required for such an ICE setup. Basically, if I am going around shopping, what items should be in my shopping list, so that I get this items and just land up at Powerzone (or any installer for that matter) and get the install done? This should include necessary as well as optional accessories like high quality cables,enclosures etc.
-DVD HU
-2 pairs of speakers (Component or Co-axial depending on your budget)
-Amplifiers (4 channel, or 2 channel, or mono depending on your budget)
-Sub woofer (1 or 2 depending on how much of a 'kick' you want)
-Sub woofer enclosure (sealed or ported depending on what kind of a 'kick you want)
-Amplifier wiring kit (8 ga, 4 ga or 0 ga depending on the components above)
-RCA kits

High quality wiring is not optional, but a must. I have used high quality wires and they make a huge difference to the sound.

Quote:
  1. I know that your front/rear speakers are of different brands (JL & JBL), and you have sourced them at different points in time. Apart from the timing reason & maybe discounted price you may have got, is there any specific reason of going in for separate makes/brands? If I plan to purchase all stuff together, is there any issue if I get all JBL or all JL or XYZ brand (for speakers only)...or is it that some brands are good in front and others in rear?
The JLs are far more superior than the JBLs obviously. JL is component and the JBL is coaxial. That's because I sit only in the front and I need the best quality sound in the front. If you have people sitting in the back regularly, get component speakers for the back as well. Any brand that you like within your budget would do.

Finally, don't expect a perfect answer for your needs on this forum. Go out there and start auditioning stuff and start talking to a competent installer who was worked with a wide variety of equipment.

Last edited by Gilead : 11th August 2010 at 19:24.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:25   #17
BHPian

Hey..thanks for the prompt reply.

Your last line says it all;-} Now that you have given a headsup, time to do some legwork/earwork.

One thing I forgot to ask..Did you get your sub with factory fitted enclosure or was it custom-made outside?

Last edited by sanjayc : 11th August 2010 at 19:26.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing I forgot to ask..Did you get your sub with factory fitted enclosure or was it custom-made outside?
My sealed enclosure was custom built by Power Zone. Infinity also comes with a factory enclosure but it is ported. Take a look at this: India JBL

Now whether you want a sealed or ported sub entirely depends on what kind of thump you want. The Infinity ported enclosure is damn good and I would highly recommend it. But it would work best when driven by a mono like Focal 1. Do not use 2 ch bridged power from a 4 ch amp if you are going ported.

Last edited by Gilead : 11th August 2010 at 19:41.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
PS: MS-8s coming soon to a car near you. Purchase made already. *seals lips*
Any idea how much is the MS-8 ?
Let me get this right.
For this to do its "stuff" it still needs component speakers, full range speakers and a sub woofer, correct ?
Old 11th August 2010, 19:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Any idea how much is the MS-8 ?
Let me get this right.
For this to do its "stuff" it still needs component speakers, full range speakers and a sub woofer, correct ?
It's $800. And yes, you will still need the other things. It's just a processor that takes your HUs output, does some "stuff" and sends it to the amplifier.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:09   #21
BHPian

@gilead: hot setup man! waiting to listen to some good house! yes JL audio speakers are really good!
Old 11th August 2010, 20:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagxf View Post
@gilead: hot setup man! waiting to listen to some good house! yes JL audio speakers are really good!
Thanks. Drop in any time you come to my area. And come with your collection that I can copy.

So are you the one who has bought the MS-8?
Old 11th August 2010, 20:18   #23
BHPian

Is'nt the MS-8 doing exactly the same thing which my sony dav HT system does? The sony one has got an accessory which when connected to the front-mic, will automatically adjust the dB levels/speaker distances for each of the speakers/sub. In the MS-8, the headphones claims to do the same thing. At least the technology seems to be the same, the preciseness may differ.

How good is so-called DSP stuff? It claims to take a stereo/2-channel input and play it over 5.1/7.1?

Gilead@, you mentioned something regarding a separate track for sub-woofer. Can u feel the same from normal 128-bit encoded MP3's or is this only felt when playing from music DVDs/CDs?
Old 11th August 2010, 20:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is'nt the MS-8 doing exactly the same thing which my sony dav HT system does? The sony one has got an accessory which when connected to the front-mic, will automatically adjust the dB levels/speaker distances for each of the speakers/sub. In the MS-8, the headphones claims to do the same thing. At least the technology seems to be the same, the preciseness may differ.

How good is so-called DSP stuff? It claims to take a stereo/2-channel input and play it over 5.1/7.1?
I will leave this one for the gurus to answer. I have some half baked knowledge on this and that is rather dangerous.

Quote:
Gilead@, you mentioned something regarding a separate track for sub-woofer. Can u feel the same from normal 128-bit encoded MP3's or is this only felt when playing from music DVDs/CDs?
I am sure you must have felt rumbles from your HT sub when there is an explosion in the movie right? That rumble, or low bass was mixed in the audio track to go to the sub woofer only. It will not be sent to your stereo channels. The HT receiver (DTS or Dolby) will recognize the sub channel and feed the sub only.

That was the issue I was having with the OE HU. It could not recognize the sub track that is so prominent in hip hop and thus the amp was not able to drive the sub. Only the bass mixed in the stereo channels were being passed to the sub. It does not have anything to do with MP3 or Audio CD. It was happening with both formats. Issue solved by installing the Kenwood which was designed to do stuff like this.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Man, you should have taken pix of those JL.

How much did it all cost? What about Damping ?

Quote:
Never heard of the Gti series from JBL?
That said, The MS-8 has been receiving rave reviews all over the world. It did take its time to come though.

PS: MS-8s coming soon to a car near you. Purchase made already.
*seals lips*
Dont a white car already have one?
Old 11th August 2010, 20:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
It's $800. And yes, you will still need the other things. It's just a processor that takes your HUs output, does some "stuff" and sends it to the amplifier.
that is a lot of money for a DSP thingy.
Anyway I don't have the "other" stuff, so I can't have MS-8 now...!
Old 11th August 2010, 22:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Dont a white car already have one?
Sam's Superb, yes.
And Gilead, you've heard nothing yet without damping.
Get it done asap.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Here is a crappy pic of the JL. Could not find anything else.
Comfortably numb again in a Fiesta 1.6S-ice-004-50.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
that is a lot of money for a DSP thingy.
Yep, must be a lot better than the $5 DSP I did in college with stuff bought from Ritchie Street. lol

Quote:
And Gilead, you've heard nothing yet without damping.
Get it done asap.
Listen to my car and let me know if it needs damping. It sounds a lot better than some cars with damping. At least that's what my ears tell me.

I asked the installer about the damping in the morning and he showed me a new pack of Dynamat worth 6K and told me he will use most of it if there was a need for it. He also said that he felt my car and the choice of components would not need damping and I guess he was proven right. There was no reason for him to deny himself an additional 6K.

Last edited by Gilead : 11th August 2010 at 23:15.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:56   #29
BHPian

Congrats Gilead! A very nice install!
Allow a few hours for the sub to break in properly. How about some damping on the front doors? Will help improve the mid-bass and overall sound will be more refined.
Old 12th August 2010, 00:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Congrats Gilead! A very nice install!
Allow a few hours for the sub to break in properly. How about some damping on the front doors? Will help improve the mid-bass and overall sound will be more refined.
Thanks, thelord. Mid bass is a JL specialty and they already sound brilliant. I plan to audition another car that's running the same JLs with damping to see if there is any difference.

Should I keep the volume low until the subs break in? Right now my system sounds best between 20-25.

Here is a review that I found online.

http://hometheaterreview.com/jl-audi...kers-reviewed/

Quote:
My goal in testing the XR650-Csi set was to hear subtle nuances in every genre of music available through the use of a Pioneer AVH-P6500DVD multimedia receiver. The component speakers took off with the live unplugged version of Eric Clapton's "Tears In Heaven". The strumming of the guitar was detailed enough to hear Clapton's fingers sliding up and down the strings while his vocals displayed good character and resonance.

Listening to the title track of the funky eclectic rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication, I was captivated by the hard-driving bass playing of Flea and guitar tiffs of John Frusciante. Percussion on the track "Otherside" was punchy without being too forceful. The midbass had a stunning presence without overshadowing highs even at higher volume levels.

Smooth jazz man Dave Koz plays a mean horn and on his newest release, Saxophonic, he teams up with Brian McKnight on the track "Love Changes Everything", which is mesmerizing with its warm tones and silky transitions. For the most part, the dramatic sounds weren't focused in any one part of the car, they seemed to surround me as they should. However, I did detect a near-side soundstage bias from time to time and a lack of definition between instruments occasionally. The result was a more muddied effect.

After a long time behind the wheel, the JL Audio XR650-Csi component speakers were always refreshing. Their avant-garde design with quality materials really hit the mark of a reference standard for mobile speakers. They sound great in all conditions with detail, clarity, image, and a three-dimensional feel, as if you are at a live performance. The price is reasonable for such a performance-oriented set of drivers which should give great results for many years. In fact they sound so good, it seems a pity to hide them behind a door panel.
It's indeed a pity to hide them behind a door panel.

I find that the sub moves by about a foot during my commute. Is this normal? They don't move at all when the car is stationary. I love taking corners sharply since I have an S and I guess that may be the reason for the movement.

Last edited by Gilead : 12th August 2010 at 00:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks