Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 00:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3M Car Care (Chennai)

I did the 3M Paint Protection for new cars for my Linea few weeks back. I must say that the workmanship is of top notch and quality of work done was just awesome.

Catalogue of services offered.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00015201201211135.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00016201201211136.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00017201201211137.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00018201201211137.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00019201201211138.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00020201201211138.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00021201201211140.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00022201201211140.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00023201201211140.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00024201201211141.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00025201201211141.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00026201201211142.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00027201201211142.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00028201201211142.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00029201201211143.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00030201201211143.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00031201201211143.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00032201201211143.jpg  

3M Car Care (Chennai)-img00033201201211144.jpg  

rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 00:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Foam wash being done.
3M Car Care (Chennai)-wash1.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-wash2.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-wash3.jpg

Sanding is on
3M Car Care (Chennai)-s1.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-s2.jpg

Wheels being cleaned
3M Car Care (Chennai)-w1.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-w2.jpg

Engine bay is being cleaned
3M Car Care (Chennai)-engin1.jpg

Logo is also cleaned well
3M Car Care (Chennai)-logo1.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-logo2.jpg

Polishing is on
3M Car Care (Chennai)-pol1.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-pol2.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-pol3.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-pol4.jpg

Final Waxing is done
3M Car Care (Chennai)-wax1.jpg

3M Car Care (Chennai)-wax2.jpg

Final Outcome
3M Car Care (Chennai)-final.jpg
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 01:33   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Ramesh: obviously they did a good job for you.

The "menu" looks complicated. Looks like some marketing person decided they needed more options and invented a few!
Old 10th February 2012, 22:35   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

<Four Days Later>

My new Polo is my new Polo as of today. It is still at the dealer, because it won't get number plates until Saturday, and I thought it silly to collect it right away, only to have to take it back there tomorrow.

It is booked in at 3M for Wednesday afternoon for paint sealing and engine shield.

I was keen to get underbody sealing done too. The guy I spoke to (Dushy) said that Polo is already sufficiently sealed, and really does not require it. Must be an honest salesman which creates a good impression before I even get there. I'm still keen on an extra layer though!

I want to try living without Sun film, and if I do go for it, might take a look at Jeewajee, to get a choice of brands (thinking of leather seats!)

Any news of the 3M product Scotchguard, which, from other forum posts, seems mysteriously unavailable in India?
Old 10th February 2012, 22:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

^Congrats, Scotchguard you can try your luck at furniture shops and see if they would treat your car seats since I vaguely remember that nowdays a few sofa sets come with scotchguard treatment.
Old 11th February 2012, 00:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd really like to just buy a bottle. But If Bottle can't tell where, then all is lost!

Following in your footsteps ... it was nice to see your Polo opening this thread, having recently sat in it
Old 11th February 2012, 00:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was keen to get underbody sealing done too. The guy I spoke to (Dushy) said that Polo is already sufficiently sealed, and really does not require it.
When i went to get underbody coating on my jazz he(Dushy) told me that cars from VW usually come with 60 microns of clear coat whereas cars from tata,mahindra,hyundai,honda come with 30 to 35 microns of clear coat.Not sure how accurate he is with those numbers ,but still gives a feel good factor that VW have done a pretty good job in their paintshop.

BTW whats scotchguard? how is it used?

Last edited by Wall-e : 11th February 2012 at 01:01.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:49   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW whats scotchguard?
This is Scotchguard

It's used both as a domestic product and as a commercial product elsewhere. I never bought any for the home, but I remember, when doing an office refit, that the carpets were treated with it. The dirtier the environment, the bigger I would expect the market to be! Having bought the car, have no foreign travel budget: will have to see if a Singapore relative can find and bring, but don't know when they are coming next.

Just the look and feel of VW paintwork is one of the main reasons that I bought the car! I guess, though, that the inevitable scratches will be more expensive to deal with. However, at least the can be seen: what worries me is the rust that we don't even know about until it has already got a hold. When I go there on Wednesday, I will talk to Dushy again about this, as well as consulting on body cavities eg door spaces.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 13:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

^ amazon/ ebay + shop and ship is a possible route too
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 00:43   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Took my new Polo along there today.

I did not have the car-loving patience to watch and record the several hours of attention that it received, but, when I returned, it was indeed a sight for sore eyes!

That they do not oversell is evidenced by their strong discouragement of having any underbody coating done. I got this from both Dushy at 3m, and from the VW sales people. Absolutely no need to add to what VW have supplied already. The VW guy went so far as to say that there was no harm in it if I insisted, but Dushy just about refused. He wasn't even sure about applying their engine treatment, but, after consulting with a technical guy, went ahead with it.

I had planned to postpone sunfilm until I really felt the need. Again, VW (Abra Motors) were not at all keen on selling it with the car, saying that VW's green-tinted glass was sufficient. I didn't think, even in February, that it really was; not when it hit me full on through the side window. On the other hand, I really did not want anything that was actually visibly dark. I did not want any reduction in being able to see through the glass.

On an expensive spur of the moment, I asked Dushy to apply 3m CR70 to all the windows. This he was quite willing to sell me .

He was also enthusiastic about sending me away with the instant detailer, and the tin of wax, and warned me about letting bird droppings remain on the car body.

The car looks magnificent.

Before 3m

It was only a week old when I took it there, though, being a 2011 model, I suspect it spent a few weeks in a stockyard, acquiring a bit of dust and stuff, here and there. Certainly the engine was not clean.

After 3m

The whole car has had an added layer of high gloss applied to it. I don't know if this is what the VW designers had in mind, but it certainly looks good to me! The engine now looks as if it just came out of the factory. Better, in fact, as I never before saw a wet-look engine compartment! They even made the tires look as if he car had never actually met road surface yet. I asked for the inside to be be given their attention too, but said that I did not want any gloss or wet-look finish on dashboard, etc. I don't think it looks natural, and it can be a source of glare.

Driving home was done after sunset. I can certainly confirm that the CR70 seems to have no effect at all on visibility, even at night. How it stands up to the sun, I will only know in the day.

I have been told not to open the car windows for two days, to allow the film to set to maximum adhesion. That will be a little tough, but hey, I don't think I'm going out tomorrow, so that will be day one.

3m Car Care is only six months old. A young company, brimming with enthusiasm. Seems to be full of professionalism and expertise too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 00:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

^ Congrats, I think its high time you started your ownership thread :P

How much were you charged?
Old 16th February 2012, 02:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The 3m CR film is very expensive (although I think v-kool make even higher-priced products?) and accounted for 7,750, front, 15,150, back and sides plus VAT.

The whole bill was nearly 29,000.

I must be mad!

Still to come... 3d mats, but the real-leather seats might get forgotten for a while now.
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:01   #43
BHPian

I have been to this place a couple of week ago for installing sun films in my ANHC and a quick wash. I opted for CR70 for the front windshield and RE35 for the windows and rear. I also asked for a foam wash.

Two guys started installing the sun film after the wash. One guy seemed to be experienced and focused on the work. The other guy seemed to be a trainee (not sure though) and was texting in his mobile phone every 2 minutes. The trainee first worked on the front right window and I was not happy with his work. The other guy sensed it and told the trainee to only work on the quarter panels. But still he made mess. He used a hot air blower or a heater to make the films stick to the window. Later I noticed that the plastic beadings around the windows were burnt at few places. The right rear window was badly affected. I noticed this only while checking the car before delivery. I pointed this to the store guys and they said they can reimburse the replacement cost. Though, it is a good gesture from their side, I was not really happy the way they did the installation.

I told them it is not about money and I did not even create a scene about this issue. But, I registered this issue in the feedback form they provided me. I took the delivery of the car and returned home around 2.30 PM. Around 5 PM the car security alarm set off (the horn was blaring continuously and all the turn lights were flashing). I didn't know that ANHC had security alarm before this event. The car was parked in the covered car parking and nobody was near the car or nothing happened to trigger the alarm. I was bewildered and didn't know how to reset the alarm. I opened the door and put the key in the start position. The alarm stopped. I was relieved and quickly checked the car manual. It said the alarm might be triggered if anybody try to remove the HU or if there is heavy movement inside a locked car. None of this happened to trigger the alarm in this case. I locked the car again with the remote and waited few minutes to ensure everything is ok. But, in 2 minutes the alarm started again. This time I had to manually unlock the car using the key as the remote did not work. I was worried now as the car did not respond to the remote key now when it worked 2 minutes ago. I put the key in the start position and the alarm stopped. I was sitting in the car with the key removed from its hole and the door open. I was again reading the manual to see why is this happening but no clue. While I was inside the car with doors open, the alarm started again. Now I was worried.

Finally I disconnected the battery and locked the car manually with the key. I left the battery disconnected for the night and again connected it the next morning. The remote started working and the alarm was not triggered after that. I am still not sure what was the root cause. But I know that 3m guys used water hose (no pressure, normal water flow) in the engine bay while washing the car. Not sure if the water seeped into some sensor that made the alarm system malfunction. I called the 3m guys and asked if the same has happened in any other car they worked on. He said it has happed in old cars and they have not seen this problem in ANHC before.

Anyways, the problem did not occur again. I wanted to share this experience here as it could be helpful to someone.
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post
But I know that 3m guys used water hose (no pressure, normal water flow) in the engine bay while washing the car. Not sure if the water seeped into some sensor that made the alarm system malfunction. I called the 3m guys and asked if the same has happened in any other car they worked on. He said it has happed in old cars and they have not seen this problem in ANHC before.

Anyways, the problem did not occur again. I wanted to share this experience here as it could be helpful to someone.
I have seen this problem occur in my friends swift after sun films were installed. The installers should seal all the front defogger vents before installing the sun films for the front, if not the water seepage creates havoc with the remote locking and alarm functions in the car. I made sure the vents were properly sealed before the install in my car and I had no such issues.
cruiser_1982 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
I have seen this problem occur in my friends swift after sun films were installed.
I made sure the vents were properly sealed before the install in my car and I had no such issues.
I think I was overwhelmed by all the positive feedback for this store which made me think they know their act well and I do not need to tell them to cover the vents. I understand it is a mistake from my side and I should have been bit more cautious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks