Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 20:52   #226
BHPian

Re: The Bajaj Qute (RE60)

Have been seeing these on a daily basis (usually in a group of 2/3) this week on the Eastern Express Highway on my way to office (Thane to Goregaon).

Seriously don't get the point of these things. They are not what one would imagine when you say "quadricycle", yet Bajaj won't call it a car. Looks like they made something, couldn't decide what it is and decided to go with the most generic definition of "quadricycle" (i.e. anything with four wheels) just so that they can sell it. No wonder Supreme Court can't decide how to categorize these either!

On the other hand, this would definitely be a safer alternative to the suicide boxes we call Autos!
Old 10th February 2016, 21:55   #227
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj is at least trying to propose a 'safer' alternative to 3-wheeler and I for sure appreciate the effort. Following videos may give you a fair idea about this things capability.

Safety On Twist & Turns

Safety test for reverse turns in speed

Safety Test During City maneuvering

Safety During Floods

Torture Track
HammerHead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 12:13   #228
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bajaj launches a "Free the Qute" online campaign in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While the Qute does not seem to be the safest mode of transport, it does seem safer than a semi open Auto. Seems a little strange that in a country like India, where we have all kinds of things running on the roads, approval for this is being held back citing safety. I had earlier read that this was more in relation to the approval of the new class of vehicle called 'Quadricycle'
The last line is the trouble.

4 tyres? Check.
Proper roof? Check.
Proper body? Check.
4 doors? Check.
Carry 4 passengers? Check.
Engine, gearbox etc.? Check.

It may be smaller and it may be lighter, but it is a car, not a quadricycle .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 12:54   #229
BHPian

Small cars like the Qute are available in France, Italy and a few other EU countries. They are classified as quadricycles but only a light quadricycle can be driven without a driving licence.

The restrictions include but are not limited to:
- 2 seats only
- Maximum power limited to 5.6 BHP
- Max speed limited to 45 km/h
- Not allowed to use autoroute / motorway / expressway / autostrada, etc. as the limited speed would make it a moving obstruction.

A category called heavy quadricycles are also exists which allows 4 seats and 20 BHP but requires a licence to drive.

The only people who drive a quadricycle in Europe are those who have had their licence cancelled or those who rarely drive and find maintaining a normal car too expensive ( generally elderly people).

As far as the Qute goes, the main opposition comes from competing car makers who have a lot to lose.

If legislation is really required then here are my proposals:

- 35 BHP/tonne max.
- Top speed 60 km/h max.
- 4 seats max.
- Length and width max 2.8 m x 1.3
- Not allowed on high speed roads (expressway, golden quadrilateral highways, etc.)

Conversely, a car would have to defined according to modern performance and safety standards. But that's another debate!

My personal take is that is the analogy of the Nano. People look down on the Nano which by any measure is more of a car than the Qute can ever be. So I think that the Qute should be allowed to be sold as a car. Let the consumers decide whether the Qute is worth buying or not.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 20:26   #230
BHPian

To me this is nothing but a juggad. It is just a little above a final year college project in a decent engineering college. I can't believe that Bajaj is trying to pedal this box as some kind of revolutionary transportation mode for India. What is being shown in the videos being peddled around by Bajaj to advertise the safety features of this box is bare minimum required for anything that has 4 wheels. After six decades of automotive manufacturing experience, this is what they come up with? Seriously?
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 20:53   #231
Senior - BHPian

If they are proposing safer alternative to 3 wheeler, first thing they can do is to stop making their 3 wheelers than asking support for this funny thing.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 05:29   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
To me this is nothing but a juggad. It is just a little above a final year college project in a decent engineering college.
You are over estimating the capability of the engineering colleges. Need proof, you can look at Baja or Supra events held in India. I made that comment after me being a part of a Baja team in 2010. The quality of the teams has improved leap and bound in recent years. I was a Baja technical judge for 2014. But to compare RE50 to a college project is down right arrogant.

Quote:
I can't believe that Bajaj is trying to pedal this box as some kind of revolutionary transportation mode for India. What is being shown in the videos being peddled around by Bajaj to advertise the safety features of this box is bare minimum required for anything that has 4 wheels. After six decades of automotive manufacturing experience, this is what they come up with? Seriously?
That is just marketing. If this offers more safety than an auto with minimal cost penalty, I'm for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
If they are proposing safer alternative to 3 wheeler, first thing they can do is to stop making their 3 wheelers than asking support for this funny thing.
Motorcycles are more dangerous than this, can we apply the same logic of yours, here.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 09:33   #233
BHPian

My comparison of it to a college project needs to be understood in proper context. It would be criminal of them if they could not come up with something that is better than a college student built product with all the resources they have.

In this day and age, every time a company comes out with a product like this they are taking a step backwards. No wonder Bajaj keeps falling behind even in the 2 wheeler market every quarter. They have disappeared from the scooter market completely. Recently the CEO also made a statement saying it is too expensive to participate in the auto show and that is why they are not participating in it. My speculation is they have nothing new worth showing in the Auto Show. That’s the key reason they did not participate. All they could come up with is a bike with badge made from a scrap steel of a vintage aircraft carrier and have the balls to exploit people’s emotion by marketing it as some kind of holier than thou product.

Only sympathy I have for Bajaj regarding Qute is that if the government can allow vehicles like Tata Iris Magic on the road, they might as well go ahead and allow this jugaad plastic container with wheels called “Bajaj Qute” also on the road.
Old 12th February 2016, 13:25   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Motorcycles are more dangerous than this, can we apply the same logic of yours, here.
It is their proposal not mine. They can stop making two wheelers too if they wish.
Old 12th February 2016, 13:29   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My comparison of it to a college project needs to be understood in proper context. It would be criminal of them if they could not come up with something that is better than a college student built product with all the resources they have.
The ground reality is, its not that easy to come with product that is revolutionary. I believe they wanted to open up a new segment. If they price it like that of an auto but have more stability, safety and seating capacity, should we complain?

Could you tell me the products from the commercial segment which can be classified as revolutionary. Tata Ace, is something I can think off, it created a whole new segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
It is their proposal not mine. They can stop making two wheelers too if they wish.
Ah, okay. It make more sense now.

Last edited by ecenandu : 12th February 2016 at 13:39.
Old 12th February 2016, 14:06   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Safety On Twist & Turns

Safety test for reverse turns in speed
This is with one person inside. Put 4, and the CG will be higher than what it is with one, and hence will become less stable than it is in this clip.
Old 12th February 2016, 17:40   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is with one person inside. Put 4, and the CG will be higher than what it is with one, and hence will become less stable than it is in this clip.
I agree provided it moves at that speed with 4 on board
Nevertheless Bajaj would have passed it through all possible 'Indian' people mover situations before launching it. Including overloading
Old 12th February 2016, 18:01   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sorry, but how will CG be affected by more passengers, unless they sit higher up on the vehicle?
Old 12th February 2016, 18:36   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Could you tell me the products from the commercial segment which can be classified as revolutionary. Tata Ace, is something I can think off, it created a whole new segment.
Tata 407
Tata Ace
Eicher/Polaris Multix
Tempo Traveller
Mahindra Bolero
Volvo buses and trucks (when people thought market for such vehicles did not exist in India)
Toyota Qualis
Toyota Innova

are some examples that made a real difference to the Indian automotive Industry. Revolutionary is a big word.

Last edited by Theyota : 12th February 2016 at 18:38. Reason: a
Old 16th February 2016, 15:18   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata 407
Tata Ace
Eicher/Polaris Multix
Tempo Traveller
Mahindra Bolero
Volvo buses and trucks (when people thought market for such vehicles did not exist in India)
Toyota Qualis
Toyota Innova

are some examples that made a real difference to the Indian automotive Industry. Revolutionary is a big word.
Err, the humble Nano? It also made a difference in its own little way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks