Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2013, 00:17   #136
BHPian

re: The Bajaj Qute (RE60)

Found this photologue from Yahoo India Page.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/photos/baja...-53474103.html

Yahoo says its and ultra-low cost car and here I read it as an upgrade from an auto. I didn't see an air-con or anything which would usually be in place if it was a car. I find nothing exciting about this! If i remember right, way before 6 or 7 years, i remember seeing a similar model of Bajaj claiming some skyrocketing Fuel efficiency figure ( i guess 35kmpl itself) and to me it looks almost the same (Guys, correct me if I'm wrong). It too had a high in-dash mounted gear lever (aka the RE60 and the Magic).

And 35 kmpl certified doesn't seem great! So the actual real - life FE should be around 30 which is nothing great! Wouldn't a diesel mill be the ideal choice? This looks like a semi-baked product. Though Rajiv Bajaj says this is an upgrade from an Auto, the Magic looks more like an upgrade to me than this. If people need to buy this instead of the regular Auto rickshaw, I guess it'l take time. One thing I would love to see would be Tata Nano's as taxis! Would be so much ideal! The RE60 seems to be between the Auto segment as well as the entry level car segment. Or maybe are they going to crack open a new segment? Lets wait and watch!
Old 29th April 2013, 10:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

http://motoroids.com/news/bajaj-re60...e-launch-soon/

After seeing this (with those bling alloys) i find myself asking why Bajaj why?
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 14:05   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Spotted 2 vehicles Near Pune. this car was cruising at the speed of 80, firing was Similar to tata nano. also on breaking the real lights illuminated in a very neat design.
If Tushky is right about the speed, then the govt will be playing with fire if they grant 'Quadricycle' status to this vehicle which exempts it from various basic safety features.

Any which ways, this is a vehicle which has prompted the govt to think about the 'Quadricycle' policy which when comes obviously will only benefit Bajaj as others are not ready yet.

Looks like Bajaj knows its game better than the others. Even if the three wheeler market migrates to 4 wheelers, the first mover advantage and the stranglehold remains. The policy following a ready vehicle will immensely help BAL in these times.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:59   #139
Senior - BHPian

The Karnataka high court has asked the govt to seriously consider stopping 3 wheeler auto manufacturing looking at safety issues. Hope the govt at least announces a time table for that and encourage 4 wheeler options.
Old 30th April 2013, 19:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
Looks like Bajaj knows its game better than the others. Even if the three wheeler market migrates to 4 wheelers, the first mover advantage and the stranglehold remains. The policy following a ready vehicle will immensely help BAL in these times.
Tata has already felt the first mover advantage with Iris. In no time it will capture the market. Bajaj has no much of presence in existing diesel 3 wheeler market and so establishing a new segment will be a big task..
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:20   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Tata has already felt the first mover advantage with Iris. In no time it will capture the market. Bajaj has no much of presence in existing diesel 3 wheeler market and so establishing a new segment will be a big task..
Ashley, as on date, the IRIS is registered along the same lines as a Magic and not as a quadricycle or Auto rickshaw. In certain states the IRIS runs like an Auto though.

If the govt decides that a Quadricycle should be within 500 kgs and less than 300 cc engine capacity (just a guess), then the only vehicle which will fit the bill will be RE 60. Whether it will benefit the IRIS or not will be seen once the policy is out. If the govt takes a large hearted stand, then IRIS and RE 60 will go through.

One thing worth noting here is that Bajaj is holding the release of the vehicle due to the pending policy. Makes me wonder what if the policy never releases? will they not launch the vehicle at all ???
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:42   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
If the govt decides that a Quadricycle should be within 500 kgs and less than 300 cc engine capacity (just a guess), then the only vehicle which will fit the bill will be RE 60. Whether it will benefit the IRIS or not will be seen once the policy is out. If the govt takes a large hearted stand, then IRIS and RE 60 will go through ...
Agreed that they can't be registered as Auto.
But when Govt. is forming new policy, say its new regulations, normally they will invite all manufacturer and each one will be asked to present their views. Even for new tenders also there will be pre bid meeting were the tender clauses, if found not ok for any manufacturer, they will look into the possibility of changing or sticking to it.
So there are high chances that Tata will ensure that Iris is considered as a quadi cycle so that it does not have any issues during registration in any states.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:56   #143
BHPian

Bajaj has got the nod from the Government for its RE60 Quadricycle to be used for commercial purposes only, reports the HT Mint. This will open the door to safer and more comfortable urban transport. The company had already invested Rs 550 Crore on the project, with a production capacity of 60,000 units per year.

What differentiates a Quadricycle:
  • Can be used for intra-city transport (within municipal limits) only.
  • Not for personal use and cannot be driven on the highway.
  • Passenger carriers to weigh less than 450 Kg and seat 4 (including driver)
  • Goods carriers to weigh less than 550 Kg and seat 2.
  • Quadricycles to display a "Q' sign.
  • Will not need to meet crash testing norms (as they don't exist in Europe for Quadricycles).
  • Emission requirements to be same as that in Europe.
  • Any changes regarding rules for Quadricycles in Europe would need to be adopted in India (with a maximum lag of 6 months).
Image: Source
The Bajaj Qute (RE60)-re60-front.jpg

The Bajaj RE60 will be a 4 wheel alternative to the ubiquitous 3 wheel autorickshaw and much safer too. The Government in a good move, has insisted on Quadricycles coming with a hard-top, fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

Bajaj will be launching an all new range of 3 wheeler's soon, indicating that both products will co-exist. Bajaj sold 226,131, 3 wheelers last year.

Image: Source
The Bajaj Qute (RE60)-2012_bajaj_re60_interior.jpg

The Bajaj Qute (RE60)-2012_bajaj_re60_rear_seat.jpg

Current Bajaj 3 wheeler Autorickshaw
The Bajaj Qute (RE60)-bajaj-auto.jpg
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:07   #144
Senior - BHPian

This is good news. Imagine if all the auto-rickshaws suddenly transformed themselves into the RE60 and more of it's ilk. I think it would be shot in the arm for the Indian urban transportation system in various ways, not to mention it's contribution to increase the visual appeal of urban-scapes all over the country. That's still a decade away, at-least this could be a start.
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:14   #145
BHPian

As much as i would like to see RE60 moving around,wouldn't TVS King Concept posted here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post1400171

make more sense as a replacement to our beloved ricks.

It looks better too (seems like someone in TVS spent time in giving the TVS King a good look) something the bajaj designers forgot.

People have actually gotten used to seeing rickshaws in a certain avatar. (carrying forward that design into a new century would have made more sense to us-Something TVS did).
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:51   #146
Senior - BHPian

So Bajaj will REPLACE auto rickshaws with this and autos productions will be stopped ?
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:51   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post

What differentiates a Quadricycle:
[*]Not for personal use and cannot be driven on the highway.
That is going to be the first rule that will be broken
Old 24th May 2013, 09:38   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
So Bajaj will REPLACE auto rickshaws with this and autos productions will be stopped ?
No. Both will continue side by side. Production capacity is 60,000 units per annum for the RE60, Bajaj sold over 2 Lakh, 3 wheelers last year.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:13   #149

This has lost the soul of an auto rickshaw... open, airy, quick getaway and uncomplicated, which the 3 wheeled auto had.. The RE60 vehicle has no style, functionality, proportions and done in bad taste.. sadly there is not a single bit of innovation reflecting in the new concept which is pretty sad.
Old 25th May 2013, 06:25   #150
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be a good move if it replaces Auto rickshaws. They will help in alleviating traffic jams, the Autos will not be able to weave in and out of gaps in traffic and will have to behave like proper four-wheelers now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks