Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 12:10   #301
Senior - BHPian

Kallada, Sofiya, SRM and KPN has new volvo multi axles to Kerala.

Padikkal has a new Isuzu service and Sisira travels started regular service.

All these buses are neat and clean. Padikkal has more seats thus the leg room is less.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:43   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
There is nothing special in the seating of the Sofiya line Volvos to warrant uploading an image. It is like a normal Volvo bus, but with three extra rows of seats.
The regular Volvos offer rather limited space to recline their seats for passengers travelling by the last row. Is this also the case with the multiaxles?
Old 12th January 2010, 16:10   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The regular Volvos offer rather limited space to recline their seats for passengers travelling by the last row. Is this also the case with the multiaxles?
I traveled in a Volvo (I guess it was a KPN) some time back and the back row was as comfortable as other rows. Just behind the last row, there was a decent bed with curtains for the spare driver to sleep comfortably.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:00   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That's a not un-common treatment, but was hoping that an operator sufficiently big will not do that. The passengers do expect better treatment when opting for a Volvo-like service. But then, bus operators are no angels, right ?

Next time, do try the Karnataka SRTC's volvo service.
I have used Kallada special service, it wasnt a great bus, but was adecent one and was on time.

KaSRTC volvo, never in my life, so freaking slow. Or was it just that bus driver, this was the Tvm - Blore route.
Old 12th January 2010, 19:16   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Some one told me that there is more leg and shoulder room is Sofialines , is that correct ?

The seats are new clean and more neat, when compared to the other operators , can some one comment on these ?
In general, I find private operators to provide more legroom that government Volvos - the reason being that private volvos have semi-sleeper seats (with the thigh support), while the Government ones have the standard "seats".

Although I haven't traveled by the Sofiya Lines bus, from what i could see, the seats were the regular Semi-sleeper seats - not wider than competition.

Quote:
Which fleet operator uses the newest volvo to Kerala ?
Has to be SRM and KPN. Kallada's Aroor-Bangalore route is also new. Heard that Sharma now operates to Thiruvalla - but from what I could gather, its an old bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Padikkal has a new Isuzu service and Sisira travels started regular service.

All these buses are neat and clean. Padikkal has more seats thus the leg room is less.
Are you sure Padikkal has "more" seats? Isuzu buses come with 41 seats standard, and AFAIK, they don't offer seat customisation for now. So all Isuzus should be sharing the same pattern.

Where does this Padikkal service originate from? Last Thursday, I saw their bus at Thrissur (at around 2145 hrs), right behind the Kallada B9R. Is their Guruvayur service still on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This is not very true in case of Semi-sleeper buses. I noticed that most operators do not sell their last row (except during vacations and weekends) - this row is kept for their staff. The last row has normal seats as well - no semi-sleeper. The last row of Kallada's B9R was not too bad in terms of leg space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
KaSRTC volvo, never in my life, so freaking slow. Or was it just that bus driver, this was the Tvm - Blore route.
Is this a recent experience? Post the two bad accidents KaSRTC had last year, their Volvos - in general - are too slow. Looks like the corporation has issued "go slow" orders to their drivers. For that matter, even the KeSRTC guys do not exceed 100 these days (One single accident had one of their bus languishing at the Volvo workshop for over two months).

I had noticed the same slow trend on my Bangalore journey as well - the bus arrived over 75 minutes late at Thrissur, and I was dropped a whole 2 hours after the promised arrival time at Bangalore. I was left plucking my hair at the speed - never exceeded 80 kmph, for sure.

(I don't support high-speed reckless driving - however, driving too slow at the bad gears is surely not recommended)
Old 12th January 2010, 19:32   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1. My observation also remains the same w.r.t BLR-Tirupathi and BLR-CBE routes. But my brother says otherwise after travelling in the BLR-Chennai route!
Old 12th January 2010, 22:05   #307
Senior - BHPian

This happened about seven years back when the volvos' were still a class apart. I had booked myself in an APTDC volvo to Bombay from Hyderabad. The driver would simply shift to neutral the moment he builds some speed to coast for some distance. No idea why the only reason possibly was to pocket some fuel money since he tanked up in a private pump in Pune. Took me sixteen hours to reach Bombay possibly the same time as ordinary buses.
Old 12th January 2010, 22:35   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure Padikkal has "more" seats? Isuzu buses come with 41 seats standard, and AFAIK, they don't offer seat customisation for now. So all Isuzus should be sharing the same pattern.

Where does this Padikkal service originate from? Last Thursday, I saw their bus at Thrissur (at around 2145 hrs), right behind the Kallada B9R. Is their Guruvayur service still on?
I travelled once and was not comfortable with the seating. May be comparing with regular services' 31-32 seating

I think Isuzu may not be big enough to accommodate 41 seats like Volvos. Anyone has the dimensions?

Padikkal goes via Ernakulam bye pass and Alleppy. I guess it starts somewhere from Thiruvalla/Pathanamthitta.

Once we had chat with a Kallada Volvo driver. They got instructions to restrict speed and maintain good FE unlike SRM and Sofiya lines who do not care on FE.

Last edited by coolclouds : 12th January 2010 at 22:42.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:09   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

(I don't support high-speed reckless driving - however, driving too slow at the bad gears is surely not recommended)
I do not think Padikkal Isuzu have more seats , that is a small bus when compared to Volvo.

When I traveled to Bangy in Padikkal , it was coming from Thiruvalla. They told me that the bus will not go inside thrissur town , but they entered town to get some more passengers.

I am not sure about the Guruvayoor service.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:30   #310
Senior - BHPian

Can some one from Kerala , especially from the Kottayam side give the detail about the UFO buses ?

I really like the name of that bus service.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:29   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Can some one from Kerala , especially from the Kottayam side give the detail about the UFO buses ?

I really like the name of that bus service.
Awesome service, radical designs, telephone booking, superb speed, TATA buses some with after market air suspension fitment.

have travlled my them on the Ernakulam - Kozhikode route, tey dont take the narrow NH17 when i traveled by it, instead they took the NH47 to thrissur and then to Kunamkulam and then took the NH17 to Kozhikode.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:54   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome service, radical designs, telephone booking, superb speed, TATA buses some with after market air suspension fitment.

have travlled my them on the Ernakulam - Kozhikode route, tey dont take the narrow NH17 when i traveled by it, instead they took the NH47 to thrissur and then to Kunamkulam and then took the NH17 to Kozhikode.
How long did it take them Pramod?

Also, do you know the timings? I really want to travel on these buses. I have seen Tata UFO buses often - always well kept, clean and neat. Almost always they have been using Tatas I think.

Last edited by Trapezio : 13th January 2010 at 18:00.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:56   #313
BHPian

ABT Parcel service people have started their AC bus services in the Chennai-trichy, chennai-Coimbatore Sectors long back. i think there are other routes also but am not sure of. Buses are in very good condition, staff courteous, and most importantly they maintain time.
Old 17th January 2010, 00:20   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you dude !!!

May I know the timings of UFO between calicut and cochin ?
Old 18th January 2010, 10:33   #315
Senior - BHPian

UFO services between Kochi and Calicut twice in a day. From Kochi at 05.30am and 10.30pm. From Calicut, its 05.00am and 12.00 midnight.

Both morning services are 17 seater push back tempo traveler and other trips in A/c buses. Fare for morning trip is Rs. 200 and for night, its 280.00

You may contact them on 9895077701

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks