Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2010, 14:13   #391
BHPian

Though Volvos and Semi low floors have started thier invasion, Kochi still has some golden oldies running around. Seen here are two buses Christ and Sridhar at Edakochi bus stand. Travel in these buses, you get a chance to travel to a bygone era. They have curtains on thier sides, tungsten bulbs etc. Yet they are quite comfortable!
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_0030.jpg  

Old 26th June 2010, 15:32   #392
BANNED

Where were we discussing the rattle on JNURRM Volvos in Kochi??

I had got into one of them just for the heck of it, and traveled from Near Aluva up to Vytilla. I do feel that it is a too bit noisy for the price paid. Most of the luxury buses on the normal chassis are just as noisy, so the high premium does not seem justified.

The journey reminded me of the airport buses; the NVH was similar to the Tata AL buses I had come across at airports.

Additionally, I am told that the JNURRM buses which enter the are are very irregular, which is not a good sign.
Old 26th June 2010, 21:33   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
Though Volvos and Semi low floors have started thier invasion, Kochi still has some golden oldies running around. Seen here are two buses Christ and Sridhar at Edakochi bus stand. Travel in these buses, you get a chance to travel to a bygone era. They have curtains on thier sides, tungsten bulbs etc. Yet they are quite comfortable!
Dont they have an expiry date for buses in Kerala? I thought you are not allowed to run buses that are above 15 years old as stage carriages. I believe there are standards coming up for bus bodies also, so hopefully there buses will be off the road shortly. But i do see even newer buses with curtains in Kerala.
Old 27th June 2010, 19:53   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Dont they have an expiry date for buses in Kerala? I thought you are not allowed to run buses that are above 15 years old as stage carriages. I believe there are standards coming up for bus bodies also, so hopefully there buses will be off the road shortly. But i do see even newer buses with curtains in Kerala.
IIRC, the "Expiry date" is 15 years - remember reading so somewhere (You too have mentioned the same). The bus on the left is a 1997 model - so has two more years left. Recently the CMD of KeSRTC issued an order to scrap all buses older than 13 years - a huge number of buses were recently sent to scrap yards due to this order.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:41   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travel in these buses, you get a chance to travel to a bygone era. They have curtains on thier sides, tungsten bulbs etc. Yet they are quite comfortable!
Jimmyjosek,

The reference to the bygone era is very very apt. The basic design of the body of these buses are from a bygone era.

In Kerala the satge carriages were introduced first in Trivandrum in the state of Travancore. From what I remember some family from the Nagercoil area (currently in TN) had the francjse for running it. It may well have been the TVS family (it is recorded that during the 2nd WW due to shortage of petroleum product the converted the entire fleet of buses to operate on Coal-Oil/Gas (they were locally called as the Kari-Gas Vandi)

The buses were designed to suit the enviroment those days. This was just a transformation from Horse Carriages and in probability some "gora" coach builder apprentice/worker would have been heading the workshop of the bus body building establishment probably in Madras nee Chennai

The State Transport Department then put together some standards for the construction of the bus bodies. One of their objectives was to ensure maximum usage of locally available material

Remember, the vehicle in the roads were very limited and the weather would have been at least 5 degs cooler than what it is now. Glass was not a material available freely or cheaply. Speeds of those vehicles would have been a max of about 40 MPH

So they went in for an "open" type of body which had relatively unpolluted air going through always. The Canvass or Tarpaulin curatins kept the rain out almost efficiently

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I believe there are standards coming up for bus bodies also, so hopefully there buses will be off the road shortly. But i do see even newer buses with curtains in Kerala.
The standards of the Travncore State Transport Dept got incorporated in to the Keral Vehicle Rules and I think that is being still maintained as the minimum standards.

Some snippets of info: As per Kerala Motor Vehicles rules and Sales Tax Rules etc, a bus body built with in Kerala with more than 40% with wood sourced from the Kerala State Forest Department was eligible for certain extra tax excemptions.

I am sure as a hands on person in the trade BackSeatDriver would be able to comment more on this.

If I am not mistaken till about late 1970s the bused built by KeSRTC in their central works in Pappanmcode were with this design and were getting a huge tax benefit for KeSRTC

Also from 1969 till late in to 70s the Central Works of KeSRTC had "a Bus a day'" project running where they were completing body building of 1 bus a day (in an assembly line format).

Its a pity to see their workshops these days

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 28th June 2010 at 15:50.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:28   #396
BANNED

Quote:
Travel in these buses, you get a chance to travel to a bygone era. They have curtains on thier sides, tungsten bulbs etc. Yet they are quite comfortable!
Once upon a time, looong looong ago, king mahabali visited Kerala. He finished his tour of Ernakulam District at Mattancherry, and decided to proceed to Edacochin on way to alleppey on a Mattancherry - Edacochin bus. (that is route those 2 buses ply on).

That bus went at a "rocket - like" speed. Poor King was frightened and issued a "thitooram" that no bus on that route shall ply faster than his own buffalo. Ever since, no bus on that route has ever travelled faster ....

Sigh!!!! Edacochin - Mattancherry is the sloooowest route. Buses compete in lying idle at stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The reference to the bygone era is very very apt. The basic design of the body of these buses are from a bygone era.
You have not seen my Fargo with benches facing the side, right?

Quote:
(it is recorded that during the 2nd WW due to shortage of petroleum product the converted the entire fleet of buses to operate on Coal-Oil/Gas (they were locally called as the Kari-Gas Vandi)
And there were provisions in the MV Rules till 1989 for converting dlesel buses to coal fired ones.

Quote:
Some snippets of info: As per Kerala Motor Vehicles rules and Sales Tax Rules etc, a bus body built with in Kerala with more than 40% with wood sourced from the Kerala State Forest Department was eligible for certain extra tax excemptions.
You probably mean sales tax. No such provision in the MV rules, at least. Bus bodies are subjected to separate sales tax (now VAT). I am not on firm ground here. We always had them built from TVS, and the premium used to be 15 to 25% above normal market conditions.

I once remember a fellow owner boasting that he built the body himself for around 25K. The price of a TVS body at that point of time was around 65K.

Quote:
If I am not mistaken till about late 1970s the bused built by KeSRTC in their central works in Pappanmcode were with this design and were getting a huge tax benefit for KeSRTC
I guess you mean sales tax, and hence, an hefty savings on initial costs.

By mid 1990s, this used to be charged to tax as "works contract".
Old 29th June 2010, 14:32   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

You have not seen my Fargo with benches facing the side, right?
Hey I am a Trivandrumite and have seen only "Aana vandis " o that era. Fargo was never used by KeSRTC. I have travelled in TMB Buses and Leyland which had bench seats on one side facing the aisle.

Come to think of it, those bused had more standing space and was ideal for the City Bus Service

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:18   #398
Senior - BHPian

This is how BEST's buses are maintained now a days, especially Magathane depot (Borivali). Bodies are totally neglected. Look at that gap. An entire panel is missing from there.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-dsc001531.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 01:44   #399
BHPian

I just noticed in Post 6 that there is a 'Stop request' button in the MarcoPolo pictured. Is this a standard feature in all JNNURM buses or something provided by Tata?

The 'Stop Request' button is a very good move! It is definitely better than the conductor whistling or banging the side of the bus to alert the driver to stop.
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:36   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I just noticed in Post 6 that there is a 'Stop request' button in the MarcoPolo pictured. Is this a standard feature in all JNNURM buses or something provided by Tata?

The 'Stop Request' button is a very good move! It is definitely better than the conductor whistling or banging the side of the bus to alert the driver to stop.
I'm not sure, but I think it might be a feature in all buses.
Old 3rd July 2010, 08:50   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
I'm not sure, but I think it might be a feature in all buses.
Not in all buses.
Ashokleyland's DTC - ULE alone has this feature as its been mandated. Other JNnurm buses do not have this feature.
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:22   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post

If it works it's a good move. But here in Chennai, none of the Marcopolos that I've travelled in have them working.

I have a doubt, but nothing related to the Stop Request Button. In fact I'd posted it earlier in this thread but didn't get it cleared. The MTC drivers are seen lugging the engine - they shift up to top gear even before the bus is doing 30kmph, they take sharp turns in 3rd and sometimes in 4th gear at crawling speeds, go over speed breakers at less than 20kmph in 3rd or 4th, and I've never seen the tachometer needle touch the green region.
My doubt: how can they achieve a mileage of ~4kmpl with this atrocious driving style? Won't this affect the engine and drivetrain in the long run, causing serious monetary loss in terms of maintenance?

I was pointed to the thread on lugging (located here (Do you lug your engine?)) but couldn't reach a conclusion. Experts please comment

Last edited by silversteed : 3rd July 2010 at 16:25.
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:39   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
My doubt: how can they achieve a mileage of ~4kmpl with this atrocious driving style? Won't this affect the engine and drivetrain in the long run, causing serious monetary loss in terms of maintenance?
There is no authentic data of 4KMPL from MTC. Its almost uncertain to reach that figure in the driving cycle as told by you. More over the pathetic condition of buses does not reflect those figures.
From reliable sources none of the buses crosses the figure of 3.75.
There are several cases of pre mature failure of engine parts in MTC and they tend to break more often too.
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:45   #404
Senior - BHPian

Any news/phots of newly given Mercedes Buses to Pune Municipal Transport?
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:25   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Not in all buses.
Ashokleyland's DTC - ULE alone has this feature as its been mandated. Other JNnurm buses do not have this feature.
I've seen them on the Volvos in Kochi but never got to use them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks