Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 18:21   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
What about while running? which is smooter? I always thought AL engines are much louder and harsh
Yes AL engines are always roarer. But the oneyou find them in Viking is a Hino H series engines and they are smoother compared to AL's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
From my personal experience, while idle time and at very high speeds AL behaves better (ie Vibrations are more in TM), but while normal cruising, TM buses are much smoother and the engine is more silent and soft sounding.
That's always true. Cummins engines Vibrate very high during idle and at higher speeds.
Old 14th May 2010, 21:20   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Just a doubt - are these buses fitted with auto transmission, or the regular MT?
Manual.

Quote:
One thing that makes me wonder is the fetish for the scrolling LED displays, and mandated by JnNURM. It's easier to read static boards (LED or plain, painted ones) than these scrolling ones. Unless you keep looking at it for minutes altogether, you won't get to know the route. This is a real problem for people who are new to the place. Sometimes old is gold
The LED board is a pain for new people. In fact, it seems KeSRTC has understood this - all JNNURM buses will have printed boards henceforth (in addition to the LED Scrolls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
...yest at goregain in mumbai i noticed our Kesrtc star bus the AC one with Mumbai registration....running as contract carriage they just painted white paint over ksrtc logo and name....is kesrtc selling the buses
In fact, all the 20 KeSRTC Globuses are in operation with the corporation. No buses have been sold out. 10 older AC buses have been scrapped (or are in the process). Would be great if you get a pic so that we can speculate further.

I have more pics (including that of the gear) from the inaugural event - will upload in a day or two.
Old 15th May 2010, 08:55   #333
BHPian

Nine Ashok Leyland low floor buses for Kochi under the JNNURM scheme were flagged off by the Transport Minister of Kerala Sri. Jose Thettayil on 14-05-2010. Here are a few photos
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_0179a.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_0231.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_0235.jpg  

City Buses of various STUs all over India-img_0283.jpg  

Old 15th May 2010, 09:33   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

I have seen old Marcopolos emitting a plume of black smoke in Delhi and Bangalore but I was shocked to see barely weeks-old new Marcopolos doing the same in Chennai.
I think this statement is not correct. Marcopolos in Delhi run on CNG. I doubt whether CNG powered buses would let out a "plume of black smoke" even if they are badly maintained.
Old 15th May 2010, 10:01   #335
Senior - BHPian

@AkMar - Yes, I do know that the Marcopolos in Delhi run on CNG but I was refering to buses (even owned by pvt) which I saw around NCR. But I am sure most of you will accept that quite a few Marcopolos emit black smoke in Bangalore. Even today morning, on my way to work, I saw one new Marcopolo doing the same in Chennai ...
Old 15th May 2010, 10:46   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
@AkMar - Yes, I do know that the Marcopolos in Delhi run on CNG but I was refering to buses (even owned by pvt) which I saw around NCR. But I am sure most of you will accept that quite a few Marcopolos emit black smoke in Bangalore. Even today morning, on my way to work, I saw one new Marcopolo doing the same in Chennai ...
Yes, people standing in the bus stops/stations have complained against the black smoke emitted by TATAs in Bengaluru.

I can understand TATA trying to be in every known field and trying to provide value for money for Indians. Cant they do it a little responsibly?
Old 15th May 2010, 20:25   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
Nine Ashok Leyland low floor buses for Kochi under the JNNURM scheme were flagged off by the Transport Minister of Kerala Sri. Jose Thettayil on 14-05-2010. Here are a few photos

excellent set of pics especially the first one...i really loved the way the bus has been photographed.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:12   #338
santoshnair

nice buses...surprising KESRTC took the initiative in going for AL RE buses....good cost effective solutions ....congrats KESRTC and people of Kerala have a great ride

Old 17th May 2010, 12:40   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Same here. I've hardly noticed any AC Marcopolos at all over the past weeks - something like 1 AC Marcopolo for 100 Volvos. I hope its a case of good riddance.
As much as i dislike the buses, they were a good alternative in routes where there were no Volvos plying. Rather than doing away with them altogether, i hope replacements are introduced.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:07   #340
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As much as i dislike the buses, they were a good alternative in routes where there were no Volvos plying.
And the fair was cheaper compared to the Volvo's. Not sure whether it was an introductory offer though.

And yes they are AC, just incase someone gets confused with the non AC ones.

Eg. Marathahalli to Manipal Hospital:
Volvo - Rs 15
Tata Marcopolo AC - Rs 9
Old 17th May 2010, 13:12   #341
Team-BHP Support

The A/c Marcopolos ticket pricing was definitely welcome. It was so economical that my wife used to knowingly miss her office bus so she could take the Marcopolo.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:20   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ashley2: Thanks for sharing the datasheet... Do you have a similar one for the AL Viking? Hope am not asking too much
Silversteed. I dont have. Will try getting
Old 20th May 2010, 13:37   #343
Senior - BHPian

Found this extremely funny repair job on a broken glass of a BEST Kinglong. Talk about creativity!

But the tendency to stick plastic on broken glasses is on the rise. This is not good at all.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-dsc000821.jpg  

Old 20th May 2010, 19:04   #344
BHPian

Finally got to ride on the KSRTC Volvo low-floor bus in Kochi. Here's what I think -

1. It's powerful.
2. The whole thing was vibrating when going over bumps on the road.
3. Interior quality doesn't justify the price.
4. The leveling feature wasn't used at all on the trip.
5. No point in placing adjustable A/C vents if you have to stand to use them.
6. It looks bland compared to the Tata-Marcopolos.
7. Has a emergency window and not a door. Plus, no directions on how to use it anywhere.

Verdict - Not worth it solely due to horrible vibrations. I've been on the non-A/C Tata-Marcopolo's in Delhi and they rode better over the bumps.
Old 20th May 2010, 19:32   #345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
2. The whole thing was vibrating when going over bumps on the road.

Verdict - Not worth it solely due to horrible vibrations. I've been on the non-A/C Tata-Marcopolo's in Delhi and they rode better over the bumps.
Dude, Take a ride after few more days, after the rains have intensified. You will feel that this ride was smooth. Onam is only 15 weeks away. We have started the process of creating pathways for our former ruler, His Excellency, Rajarajadhiraja Sriman Mahabali' to come up from paataal.

On a more serious note, which route was this? The Volvos run only on the best roads here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks