Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 16:39   #286
nbr
BHPian

More Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Wow !!...This is awesome news..Am thinking about how will these buses manage during the monsoons when this stretch is full of craters.

Also,given the rash driving by the "Express " buses ...it will interesting to see how these buses fare .

Anyways ...another good move by KSRTC

Karnataka Govt launched new Volvo buses from Manipal to Kasargod today and now the gap between every volvo will be just thirty minutes for Manipal to Mangalore route. I heard even Private operators are planning to launch A/c buses but Ashok Leyland & TATA buses once rainy seasons gets over.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-21987_10.jpg  

Old 10th April 2010, 20:50   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
Karnataka Govt launched new Volvo buses from Manipal to Kasargod today and now the gap between every volvo will be just thirty minutes for Manipal to Mangalore route. I heard even Private operators are planning to launch A/c buses but Ashok Leyland & TATA buses once rainy seasons gets over.
Oh boy! KSRTC looks strongly bitten by the Volvo bug! I am sure KeSRTC is now searching for some passengers.

AC buses from private operators - another set of buses with flashing lights, loud music and uncivilised crew!
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:00   #288
Senior - BHPian

A doubt regarding FE

AFAIK, FE of any vehicle depends on the way it's driven - engine rpm maintained, gear shifts, idling, accelerating and braking manners.

Here in Chennai, most of the MTC buses are driven like this: Start from halt in first gear (sometimes 2nd), as soon as the bus starts moving, shift to the next, and within 10-20 seconds, the bus would be crawling in top gear. Then, they try to pick up speed gradually. When there's a hump or a sharp turn, downshifting would happen only when the driver feels that the bus won't pull up to speed and/or the engine would shut off. Tachometer is often disconnected. And they never turn off the engine at signals even if the timer shows over 90 seconds.

My question: I've seen boards in bus depots, that display the average mileage achieved. Most of them claim 4-5kmpl, which is a really good figure. How is this possible, with the atrocious driving style? Or are these claims bloated?

Last edited by silversteed : 23rd April 2010 at 12:06.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:22   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
silversteed : How is this possible, with the atrocious driving style?
That style of driving can be considered atrocious when you look at it technically - if you want to maintain recommended gear-speed ratios. This driving style throws the gear-speed matching out of the window, and focuses solely on FE.

If you want to know more about the pro's & con's of such a driving style, then check this thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ur-engine.html

Those numbers are not bloated, but more the norm for city transport co's.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:01   #290
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link, condor. I went thru all the pages right from the first. But I don't understand why they do it in the city. It's true that the buses pull to a decent speed without shudder, but aren't they damaging the engine? And yes, some of the new Marcopolos have already started giving out black smoke - which I guess is due to the improper combustion, caused by lugging.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:13   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Here in Chennai, most of the MTC buses are driven like this: Start from halt in first gear (sometimes 2nd), as soon as the bus starts moving, shift to the next, and within 10-20 seconds, the bus would be crawling in top gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
And yes, some of the new Marcopolos have already started giving out black smoke - which I guess is due to the improper combustion, caused by lugging.
Now "world class" auto transmissions(Allison) available in India, why cannot MTC etc choose new buses with Auto Transmission ( like DTC did ). It may cost a bit more to purchase, but i guess beneficial in the long run, ie the life of the bus and engine, less driver fatigue and hence less accidents. I believe BMTC's new buses are also Automatic.
I wish JNNURM made this a mandatory condition and Government of India made this as part of the new Bus code for City Services.

Last edited by teamveevee : 23rd April 2010 at 22:15.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:54   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I believe BMTC's new buses are also Automatic.
Only the Volvo 8400's and Tata Marcopolo AC's come with auto transmission.

Regards the new JnNURM Tata SLF's, there's a sticker over the engine hood, notifying the driver to "use extra gear for optimal fuel consumption" (in Kannada). Anyone has an idea about this extra gear?
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:55   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently this initiative was very much due as per the Honorable Transport Minister Mr. R. Ashoka.In the article released, he clearly mentioned that the govt was targeting the private bus owners lobby who have created a monopoly in the coastal karnataka route.

As per him, they are going to introduce more buses to ply between Mangalore and Karwar in an effort to neutralize the private bus owners monopoly in these routes.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 23rd April 2010 at 22:56.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:30   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
As per him, they are going to introduce more buses to ply between Mangalore and Karwar in an effort to neutralize the private bus owners monopoly in these routes.
If i'm not mistaken, no private buses operate on M'lore - Karwar route, and it's only KSRTC that services it since long.

Coming to the Volvo service between M'lore and Manipal, the govt. seems to be in an idea of pressing more buses gradually into service. Got to know that 2 more BMTC Vajras have left Depot-13 (Kamakya) to join the KSRTC M'lore division, 2 days ago.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:45   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
If i'm not mistaken, no private buses operate on M'lore - Karwar route, and it's only KSRTC that services it since long.
AFAIK, true. The last time I went to Karwar was in 2006, and back then, only KaSRTC operated to Karwar. Privates operated upto Bhatkal, though.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:56   #296
Senior - BHPian

BMTC to rework Vajra, AC Suvarna bus services - Hindu, Apr26

The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : BMTC to rework Vajra, AC Suvarna bus services Courtesy: Hindu online
Quote:
* BMTC operates 372 Vajra (Volvo) buses and 98 AC Suvarna(Tata Marcololo) buses as premium services
* Rationalisation involves reducing Vajra routes from 70 to 40, AC Suvarna routes from 20 to 8

* Average loss from city Volvo services is around Rs. 14 per km, the loss from the Airport Special is around Rs. 8 a km.
* Every month, the corporation is losing at least Rs. 3 crore on account of operation of Volvo services.
* BMTC hopes to at least recover the cost of operation with this move.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:09   #297
BANNED

Thats good news, rationalization was required. Its quite sad to see empty Volvo buses plying on the roads.

Get companies to hire Volvo's for ferrying the employees.

My wife uses BMTC Service provided by Big Blue to travel to Manyata. These are the blue/brown buses. IBM charges them 1.2k per month. But we are ready to pay a little more if AC buses are introduced.

Now a Volvo monthly pass costs 1.25k, it makes perfect sense to get these extra Volvo's to be utilized by the various IT and other firms which according to me form the highest vehicle density in Bangalore.

BMTC should target companies in EC, EGL, Manyata to use their Volvo services. At a premium I am sure lot of employees here would prefer the AC and comfortable environs of a Volvo.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:33   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Guessing that the effect of this rationalization move is showing up already.
Almost every 500C schedule that operates from Depot-13 (Kamakya), now begins it's day as a 500K (and possibly during the last return trip too). It is quite a sight to watch so many 500K's bee-lining towards Vijayanagar, and take off towards ITPL, in the mornings, in such short span that not all of them gets to fill up the seats to the capacity. Anyways, good that most of them earn a bit with this move.

PS: About the AC Suvarna's, there are 2 new schedules operating since early this month, which are S-1, and S-2, both being Vijayanagar<->Vijayanagar routes, and the 2 schedules do it in opposite directions of the full circle. One of them passes via Chamarajpet, Jayanagar, Silk board, Agara to reach Marathahalli, and then back, while the other passes via Rajajinagar, Malleshwaram, Sankey Road, Ulsoor, Old Airport Road, to reach Marathahalli, and then back. Not very sure of the latter route points.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:25   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard even Private operators are planning to launch A/c buses but Ashok Leyland & TATA buses once rainy seasons gets over.
I dont think this will ever happen ...the ALL or TATA buses will be no match for the B7Rs ...
Old 8th May 2010, 14:45   #300
BHPian

Sitibus

Not many of us would be aware that our own AL had been making bold attempts in the past to offer advanced products in the Indian market. But unfortunately there were not much takers for these new concepts due to various reasons. Here is an article published in "The HINDU" newspaper in 2000. It talks about one such "Sitibus" from AL.

A semi lowfloor (650mm) bus introduced jointly by Ashok Leyland & Iveco more that 10years ago with many feature that today's leading premium product offer as unique! Sitibus had an 8Ltr Iveco rear mounted engine, automatic transsmission, pneumatically operated doors, air suspension, moulded seats, ramp for physically challenged etc.
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-dscn-copy.jpg  

Transsenger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks