Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 18:04   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
After buses with Merc Logos, here is one with a VW logo! Does VW manufacture Heavy Commercial Vehicles anywhere? (I couldn't find any on the net)...

Attachment 402776

I believe this is the latest Private City Bus in Kochi.. body is from Karur (Forgot the name of the builder).
Very well build bus.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:19   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
After buses with Merc Logos, here is one with a VW logo! Does VW manufacture Heavy Commercial Vehicles anywhere? (I couldn't find any on the net)...
MODS: Only replying to the above question,if inappropriate please move it to the heavy trucks thread.

They do make heavy commercial vehicles. Volkswagen makes them only in Brazil.
Volkswagen Trucks and Buses(VTB) started operations in 1995 and was part of the Volkswagen group till MAN Group took over from them in January 2009. They are still badged as VW.
The only heavy commercial vehicles made by VW are under its subsidiary SCANIA.

OT:MAN SE is also a share holder in SCANIA with a stake of 17.37% voting rights, where as Volkswagen group has 70.94% voting rights.
Volkswagen group also have a 29.9% stake in MAN SE.

Few pics of the Volkswagen Constellation Titan trucks(uses cummins ICH engines) and volkbus.
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-vc4.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-vw-titan2.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-fireengineconstellation.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-cidade_verde_14170.jpg  

Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-_marcopolo_viale__volksbus_17.240.jpg  

Last edited by conjon : 9th August 2010 at 21:27.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:57   #168
Senior - BHPian

The Cobus at Bangalore airport
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-cobus.jpg  

Old 9th August 2010, 22:24   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
MODS: Only replying to the above question,if inappropriate please move it to the heavy trucks thread.

Volkswagen Trucks and Buses(VTB) started operations in 1995 and was part of the Volkswagen group till MAN Group took over from them in January 2009. They are still badged as VW.

OT:MAN SE is also a share holder in SCANIA with a stake of 17.37% voting rights, where as Volkswagen group has 70.94% voting rights.

Few pics of the Volkswagen Constellation Titan trucks(uses cummins ICH engines) and volkbus.
Thanks. That was a very usefull info.
Old 10th August 2010, 07:42   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oh! Thanks.. thats a lot of information. Great to know that VW Badged trucks and buses do exist.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:39   #171
Senior - BHPian

What is the reason why many private fleet operators in Ernakulam-Kochi switched over from Tatas to ALs the last few years? Once upon a time, I remember the entire EKM city bus fleet used to be Tata.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:35   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
What is the reason why many private fleet operators in Ernakulam-Kochi switched over from Tatas to ALs the last few years? Once upon a time, I remember the entire EKM city bus fleet used to be Tata.
With the introduction of Hino engines the mileage has improved , also the upgradation to single clutch from the old style double clutch, acceleration is much better all these contributed to city operators moving towards leyland.
Old 25th August 2010, 13:44   #173
Senior - BHPian

Merc Multi-Axle Bus

I saw a Mercedes-Benz multi-axle coach yesterday, operated by Parveen travels. The interesting thing is, the drive axle (with 2 tyres on each side) was the first Rear Axle unlike the Volvo 9400XL, but I think the engine as the rear itself. Guess I've seen some pix of similar Volvos (B12B? not sure) in this thread.

I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of this setup. Without a steerable RA-2, isn't it just adding to the complexity of running the drive shaft to RA-1?

In an old movie (The Italian Job - 1969), I saw a MB multi-axle bus with two steerable axles in the front and one drive axle in the rear (2 tyres on each side). Do we have any such models now? Won't such a setup be better, instead of two axles in the rear?

Last edited by silversteed : 25th August 2010 at 13:45. Reason: Corrected the name of the movie ;-)
Old 26th August 2010, 20:34   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I saw a Mercedes-Benz multi-axle coach yesterday, operated by Parveen travels. The interesting thing is, the drive axle (with 2 tyres on each side) was the first Rear Axle unlike the Volvo 9400XL, but I think the engine as the rear itself. Guess I've seen some pix of similar Volvos (B12B? not sure) in this thread.
Thats a primary difference between 9400 & o 500 series.Also lift option is available in RA2.The Propeller shaft goes over the RA2 and drives the RA1 in this case.

Quote:
In an old movie (The Italian Job - 1969), I saw a MB multi-axle bus with two steerable axles in the front and one drive axle in the rear (2 tyres on each side). Do we have any such models now? Won't such a setup be better, instead of two axles in the rear?
Its actually little complicated when there are two front axles rather than having two rear axles. More over the tyre wear is much higher when the axles are steerable at front rather than a dummy RA.
One advantage is with two FA is that the turning radius can be made smaller.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:22   #175
BHPian

Quote:
That isnt a MB coach in the movie italian job starring michael caine.
Thats wholly british built.Thats a Bedford VAL Chassis with a Harrington legionnaire bodywork.This was operated by scottish operator Battens and was leased for the movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs-legionnairebig1.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 12:53   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Its actually little complicated when there are two front axles rather than having two rear axles. More over the tyre wear is much higher when the axles are steerable at front rather than a dummy RA.
One advantage is with two FA is that the turning radius can be made smaller.
I thought tyre wear would be less... Anyone using this kind of a setup now? Just curious to know

Quote:
Thats wholly british built.Thats a Bedford VAL Chassis with a Harrington legionnaire bodywork.This was operated by scottish operator Battens and was leased for the movie.
My bad. I assumed it had the 3-pointed star in the front.

Thanks, Ashley2 and conjon for the enlightenment.
Old 28th August 2010, 16:17   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I am surprised why should this have a two front axles though the over all length of the bus is relatively small.
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:19   #178
BHPian

P9000
Had a visit to SMK body builders.(Prakash). Saw the new model from SMK.Its called P9000. There is a huge difference in the front and rear.The first bus is to be delivered tommorow to ARC Travels. In the rear there is a "U" shape light,which is said to be the highlight of this model. the tail lamps and th front headlight assembly is completly different.The luggage door alsohave a slight difference.The interior lighting also post a high difference.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:56   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
P9000
Had a visit to SMK body builders.(Prakash). Saw the new model from SMK.Its called P9000. There is a huge difference in the front and rear.The first bus is to be delivered tommorow to ARC Travels. In the rear there is a "U" shape light,which is said to be the highlight of this model. the tail lamps and th front headlight assembly is completly different.The luggage door alsohave a slight difference.The interior lighting also post a high difference.
Can u manage some pics?
Old 5th September 2010, 18:13   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
But I am surprised why should this have a two front axles though the over all length of the bus is relatively small.
This was used in the scottish highlands where they still have narrow roads along the lochs. So probably better turning or manouverability was the reason for two front axles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks