Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 07:49   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That looks like an OHE inspection car. The only railbus or railcar I know currently is doing runs between Kolar and Bangarpet in the SR or SWR.
You are right. It should be for inspection purpose only not a passenger in service. I have also seen a much bigger one few days back but could not manage to click as struggling to breath in the Venad express
Old 10th July 2013, 20:26   #287
Team-BHP Support

A fully functional system of the bygone times. Ooty railway station

Railway Pics-dsc02425a3.jpg

Railway Pics-dsc02413a3.jpg
ampere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 18:05   #288
BHPian

Spain Train Accident

Mods please move to the appropriate thread if this thread is not the right place .

Spain witnesses deadly train crash.

Train was doing 190 km/h on the stretch of track that has limit 80 km/h

The express train, carrying 218 people between Madrid and Ferrol, left the tracks at 8:42 p.m. (2:42 p.m. ET) about two miles from the station at Santiago de Compostela. All 13 coaches derailed and 4 overturned.

No of dead confirmed are 78 while 131 have been left injured.

Railway Pics-_68935797_018752128.jpg

Railway Pics-_68935840_018752051.jpg

Railway Pics-_68935848_018752198.jpg

Railway Pics-_68942429_0187565771.jpg

CCTV Footage:
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 18:35   #289
BHPian

Found this channel on youtube. Plenty of videos of the Indian Railways

http://www.youtube.com/user/dheerajrao/videos
alter.e.go is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 10:51   #290
Senior - BHPian

A scene not very uncommon in Mumbai! My local chased the rajdhani from Borivali to Andheri and then overtook it.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 02:19   #291
BHPian

Kittens Stop NYC Subway Service:

Today,Part of New York City subway service was stopped for 2 hours to save 2 kittens which was lost between the tracks !!!.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3839485.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/29/us...way/index.html

Well, its amazing that the NYC Subway autorities value "life" to this extend.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-okittensubway570.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 10:45   #292
Team-BHP Support

Its always good to see a railway at a distance; esp when its blended so well with the surroundings.

Manmad-Nagar Line

Railway Pics-img_9868_dppa3.jpg
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:32   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its always good to see a railway at a distance; esp when its blended so well with the surroundings.

Manmad-Nagar Line

Attachment 1132044
Its very scenic.

Recently I did get a chance to vitness a very interior station near Tanjavur while driving from Poondi to Velankanni. I think the name of the station was Alakkudi, it was the smallest station I would have ever seen with stops for only few passenger trains.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:45   #294
Senior - BHPian

Twin WDM3d's(3300hp each) from Gooty(GY) shed hauling an empty rake of oil tankers after dumping its load at Devangonthi oil depot and returning to Mangalore through Bypanahalli.
Devangonthi is the oil depot from were Bangalore and surrounding areas get their fuel from. It can be seen when travelling from Bangalore to Madras by train.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img734.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 2nd September 2013 at 16:48. Reason: typo
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:55   #295
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the above.
Each tanker carries 70000 litres of fuel .Multiplied by around 40 wagons of the same capacity in a rake. And there is normally a train a day or every two days that come and dump fuel.
Compare that to a single rear axle oil tanker truck which has a carrying capacity of just 2000-2500 litres in each of its chamber and there are normally 3 chambers in a single rear axle truck.

Regards
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:27   #296
BHPian

One of the rare scenes, a WDG pulling a passenger train. Taken on 18-August between Shimoga and Sagara(Karnataka):
Railway Pics-dsc08453.jpg
denver85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 00:48   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
One of the rare scenes, a WDG pulling a passenger train. Taken on 18-August between Shimoga and Sagara(Karnataka):
Attachment 1132863
Sorry to Nitpick but on IR there are many passengers which are regularly hauled by WDG or WAG series freight locos. For example, the Mumbai-Delhi Sarai Rohilla Garib Rath is many a times hauled by the WDG-4 loco of either the TKD shed or BGKT shed. I myself have seen it once with a SBI WDG-4. The Mumbai-Aurangabad JS is also many a times hauled by the WDG-3A loco of the KYN shed. MAQ-Madgaon fast passenger is also many a times hauled by a WDG-3A of the GOC or ED shed. Coming to the WAG series, a KYN WAG-5AH rated to a speed of 105 KMPH hauls the Pune-Ernakulam Express upto Panvel where it gets a loco chage.

IR is facing a shortage of locos since the last couple of years and this will abate when the KYN, BSL, Parel and Dahod workshops, along with the new Madhubani and Dankuni Loco factories come into full operation to reduce the load on CLW(WB), DLW(Varanasi UP), DMW(Patiala) and BHEL(at Jhansi). Due to this we see many a times goods locos hauling passengers regularly instead of the one off incidents when a WDM,WDP,WAM or WAP loco fails. Also goods trains are suffering from delays as only one loco is many a times available to haul a train instead of 2 needed to keep up with the time table
DrPriyankT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 17:57   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Ok, that brings to another question - Not all the coaches' brakes will have the same bite, so, in case a few particular coaches have tight breaking and a rest few not so tight and don't decrease the speed as with others, wouldn't that affect the balance of the train on track? How is that controlled?
Hi people,
It's amazing to know that we follow anything that has power and which moves...I was looking at the forums when I found all about A320s and railways. Great to know that there's are pages of information here. I am an IRFCA fan and go by the name of trumpet.

Yes, what CliffHanger said is true, certian rakes do have that problem, it could be due to different reasons also, not enough pressure, brake shoes have worn out, wheels gone bad etc, but it is never in a situation where it would destabilize a train. Further more...

Normally when a loco is being readied to for operation, the LP checks the brakes on the loco (the loco by its own brakes) and checks the compressor as well as the reservoirs to ensure there is enough vacuum being produced by the compressor. This is part of the starting up procedure for locos.

Once the loco is coupled, there is a brake test done again to see if the brake system is in order - this is visible in the guard's cabin. The dials show the current braking pressure. This is recorded by the LP and the guard and becomes a part of the BPC (Brake Power Certificate). Every loco has its BPC and they have to maintain or sustain the amount of braking force to successfully operate.

Moreoever, the arrangement of rakes, the number of rakes,the gradients involved are contributing factors to the number of locos' necessary for the run.

My dream job was to be an LP. I have been smitten by it ever since my childhood...but luck does not favour me. I am short sighted but I have been following trains ever since I came to know about IRFCA. IRFCA is a goldmine of information.
Old 24th September 2013, 18:49   #299
Senior - BHPian

I have one query - does anyone know what is the "kitna deti hai?" figure for these diesel engines?

Someone told me / I read somewhere that a diesel locomotive engine gives about 50-100 km/l of diesel burnt based on the tonnage haul!!! (Some weird mathematics jugglery done to arrive at that figure)
Old 24th September 2013, 19:54   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have one query - does anyone know what is the "kitna deti hai?" figure for these diesel engines?

Someone told me / I read somewhere that a diesel locomotive engine gives about 50-100 km/l of diesel burnt based on the tonnage haul!!! (Some weird mathematics jugglery done to arrive at that figure)
There are some figures in this thread. This thread too might be of interest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks