Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 11:19   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Couple of pictures of the Ghaziabad WAP5 that came as an off-link with Chennai-Mysore Shatabdi last weekend.

This loco is an original import from ABB from the first batch which is around 20 years old and still holds fastest loco in IR.

They are a rarity in the South and this was the second time it came to Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-img_6426.jpg  

Railway Pics-img_6429.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 26th July 2017 at 11:21.
tharian is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 23:01   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Couple of pictures of the Ghaziabad WAP5 that came as an off-link with Chennai-Mysore Shatabdi last weekend.

This loco is an original import from ABB from the first batch which is around 20 years old and still holds fastest loco in IR.

They are a rarity in the South and this was the second time it came to Bangalore.

Woah!! GZB-WAP5 in Bengaluru?? The shatabdi's usual link is LGD/RPM-WAP7 IIRC.

This must be the only WAP5 running around here in the south.

This loco must have come all the way from NDLS hauling the Chennai Rajdhani/Duronto.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 5th August 2017, 08:15   #648
BHPian

@paragsachania In your photograph of the Hassan Bangalore International City 22680, can you identify what is the object above in the sky, as I can't.
Old 5th August 2017, 08:49   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
can you identify what is the object above in the sky, as I can't.
If you meant the dot like object right above the train, that's a 3 year old crack on my car''s windscreen .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 14:03   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Another thing that I observed. It seems since conversion of Mumbai local network to AC from DC, many of WCAM 2 & 3s are being used as bankers.
The WCAM locos as they were could not be used as bankers.
If you see them carefully they are relabled AC operation only, and WCAMx-6P.
6P means all traction motors in parallel. Instead of the combinations that vary with speed. Combinations are Series, Series parallel combination and all parallel.
This means the wiring is now similar to the one in WAG-5 and WAG-7.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 13:28   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The WCAM locos as they were could not be used as bankers.
If you see them carefully Combinations are Series, Series parallel combination and all parallel.
This means the wiring is now similar to the one in WAG-5 and WAG-7.

Rahul
Thank You Rahul for sharing this interesting piece of information and I think it makes logical sense on part of Railways to convert them to newer standard. But I would like to add that the ones which I saw, did not show the new classification for WCAMs. Here is one from close.

Railway Pics-046.jpg
vikasshu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 14:08   #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Thank You Rahul for sharing this interesting piece of information and I think it makes logical sense on part of Railways to convert them to newer standard. But I would like to add that the ones which I saw, did not show the new classification for WCAMs. Here is one from close.

Attachment 1664542
Hi,

WCAM3 series belongs to 1997+ (Year of Manufacture). There were 53 locos in this sub class that were manufactured by BHEL. These locos use resistance banks in DC mode and a variable ratio auto-transformer with rectifier units in AC mode, for power control and plied on the Mumbai-Pune & Mumbai-Igatpuri Line. These locos can be run on both AC & DC traction and are predominantly housed at Kalyan Shed. With Central Railway moving to full AC traction, these locos are still operational as 'bankers' in the ghat section. However, I have seen these locos hauling mail trains out of Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT)

Here's the explanation of the alphabets/number that you have mentioned: W=Broad Gauge; C=DC traction; A=AC traction; M=Mixed 3=Sub Class

Glad to learn that you too are interested in locos, as much as I am.
Old 7th August 2017, 15:25   #653
Senior - BHPian

@vikasshu
You can see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/25959415@N06/13796404333

Time 1:24

I guess during conversion process from AC/DC to only AC they may have used the labeling, and when all locos were converted returned to only WCAMxx

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 7th August 2017 at 15:27.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 15:32   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess during conversion process from AC/DC to only AC they may have used the labeling, and when all locos were converted returned to only WCAMxx

Rahul
Those being used in ghat are plain old WCAM-3s. Converting them to 6P is a time consuming process and it is not possible to convert so many of them at one go.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 16:14   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Those being used in ghat are plain old WCAM-3s. Converting them to 6P is a time consuming process and it is not possible to convert so many of them at one go.
Hi AkMar,

The engine in the photograph (Serial No. 21941) attached by vikasshu is 'pure' WCAM3s.

Incidentally, WCAM3's produced by BHEL from 1997 onwards carried the following Series: 21881-900 /21931-963.

With CR moving to AC traction and better locos (WAP 4, WAP 7) available, whether IR would invest time and money for conversion is anybody's guess.
Old 8th August 2017, 00:15   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Quote:
@vikasshu
You can see here

Rahul
Thanks Akmar, Rahul & Yasasri.

Rahul, I tried to check on internet and it looks work is still in progress for conversion. ELW Bhusawal is taking care of this job and they still have work in their hand. For 2017-18, they have a conversion target of 17 locos. So eventually all of them should be 6P. At this stage what AkMar is saying, makes more sense.

IRFCA WCAM-3 loco list also shows only two conversions - 21934 & 21946 to pure AC. The video that you shared shows 21946 so it matches with IRFCA's log.
Old 9th August 2017, 10:26   #657
Senior - BHPian

It is not possible to do banking operation unless loco is converted to 6P. In AC DC combination of WCAM the motors will exceed their 900 Amp momentary, and 750A continuous rating.
In lead loco operation, the bankers did the starting, and lead loco applied ower when on the move.

Rahul
Old 25th August 2017, 08:01   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Carmelaram station on a rainy morning.

Railway Pics-img_20170825_065827.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 10:34   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Carmelaram station on a rainy morning.
Wow! Great pic! And that is some change. Really glad to see this!

I recall the days when we used to climb up the Garib Rath along with all the luggage right from the ground not so long ago.

Both the platform and the stoppage time of the Kochuveli Express at Carmelaram used to compete with each other on which one is shorter.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 10:55   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wow! Great pic! And that is some change. Really glad to see this!

I recall the days when we used to climb up the Garib Rath along with all the luggage right from the ground not so long ago.

Both the platform and the stoppage time of the Kochuveli Express at Carmelaram used to compete with each other on which one is shorter.
Yes, now 2 reasonably decent platforms with proper height. Some facilities. They even do announcements and all . Considering the crowd here now, still has to improve a great deal. But has come a long way from a few years back. Has also become an important station for suburban commuters also.

Interestingly the Garib Rath no longer stops here.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks