Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 18:09   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tell you what : Once you have completed submitting your DIY guidelines, drop me a PM with a link to all the instructional posts. I'll have an index created in the opening post for easy reference.
That would be nice.. Thanks!
Hey Mayankk, I have sourced the actuator motor for just 250 Rs. Also, I have the switch that is there in the above post, cost me just Rs10 . But if you observe it, you can see that, the yellow switch will look really out of place in the cabin of an ikon. That's why, im looking for cheaper alternatives of OE boot release switch.

Last edited by dhanushs : 1st July 2011 at 18:11.
Old 1st July 2011, 18:19   #32
BHPian

Is there a similar DYI for Verna Diesel cars? really impressive and well detailed thread.
Old 1st July 2011, 20:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is an awesome thread and will be very useful for people.

For Baleno's headlight replacement it's not needed to remove the HL assembly as you can access the bulb by removing the rubber cover, wire connector and then the locking pin.

BTW, for brake-fluid replacement/bleeding, won't we need two person?
Old 2nd July 2011, 03:44   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY (IKON): How to tackle AC Diverter Valve Issue

DIY: How to tackle AC Diverter Valve Issue in a Ford IKON (All models).

One out of very few, but the most irritant manufacturing defects of an IKON is, the AC Divertor valve. I bet, that 90% of the IKON owners must have faced a bust AC Divertor valve.

The Symptom of a bust AC Diverter valve is: hot (warm) air coming through the vents, even when AC is set to the cold position. Initially, one might think the AC is not working, but with time, the air and the problem starts to heat up, you will literally have to travel without AC.

The Diverter valve costs about ~2k (don't remember correctly). Well, most of us would not find it that expensive, and would replace it. Buuutttttt!!.. what if the part fails again?... and again?... and again??.. .

This DIY will show you a 50 Rupee alternative to fix your AC back to blow that soothing cold air, but with a downside that you will have to live with only that, and no warm air. I chose to spend 50 bucks and live with only cold air, instead of repeatedly spending ~2000 bucks, and having to make freequent trips to A.S.S.

================================================

Not exactly a pictorial guide as I will have to unplug all the plumbing and re-do it once again, but, the pictures should give you a pretty neat idea.
The temperature to heat up the air in the cabin is obtained from the engine coolant. And hence, a pipe carrying the hot engine coolant will be coming into the cabin. It is shown in the figure.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-how-tackle-ac-diverter-valve-issue.jpg

In a car whose diverter valve is working fine, the original plumbing will be: The orange (coolant in) pipe plugged into the orange slot, and the blue (coolant out) pipe plugged into the blue slot.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-how-tackle-ac-diverter-valve-issue1.jpg

If a diverter valve is shot, all what you have to do is, unplug the the above mentioned pipes from their slots, and connect them together. You will need a 2 inch long connecter metal pipe. And then clamp it tightly - you are good to go!

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-ac-diverter-valve-connection.jpg

P.S: Please try this DIY only when the engine(coolant) is cold.

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd July 2011 at 03:45.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:39   #35
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY (IKON): How to tackle AC Diverter Valve Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

The Diverter valve costs about ~2k (don't remember correctly).
I believe the price of the value is close to 1k now. Thankfully I never had to face this issue. However a great DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Is there a similar DYI for Verna Diesel cars? really impressive and well detailed thread.
Lets add any DIY of any car on this thread. As GTO has promised, he will index it later.

Last edited by dot : 2nd July 2011 at 08:52.
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:32   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford IKON Flair - OBD Port, Fuel Cut off Switch and Fuse box Location

I'm attaching the locations of the OBD Port, Fuel Cut off Switch, and the Fuse box.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-obd-fuel-cut-off-switch.jpg

OBD Port: Can be used along with an OBD Reader to access information about various sensors in the ECU and error codes. Know more HERE

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-obd-plugged-.jpg

Fuel Cut Off Switch: I'm yet to use this, but I'm told that, in the unfortunate event of an accident, this switch pops out and cuts off fuel to the engine, to prevent fires (if there is any fuel line leakage). So, if at all by any chance this switch pops out, make sure you have no fuel leakage. I'm yet to understand the working principle behind it. Perhaps fellow bhp'ns can shed some light.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuel-cut-off-switch.jpg

Fuse box:
Need I say more?. The 1st place to look at, if something is not working.

A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-fuse-box-location.jpg

Coming Soon: Air Filter and Fuel Filter Change

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd July 2011 at 15:35.
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:51   #37
BHPian

Re: DIY (IKON): How to tackle AC Diverter Valve Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I believe the price of the value is close to 1k now. Thankfully I never had to face this issue. However a great DIY.
It costed me Rs 1450/- in Pune. But while enquiring I came across rates rangine from 1450 up till 3.5K for this device. And I did this DIY replacement in my dad's car just a day before my marriage, as I was the only free guy while everyone else was busy running around for my marriage the next morning.
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:44   #38
BHPian

Quite an informative thread Dhanush! This thread is going to be a sort of reference material especially for the Ikon. Rated 5 stars.

Is there any specific method to check the ignition coil? Dad's Ikon had this missing cropping up every now and then. Luckily, the issue vanished after I changed the plug wire set.
jeeva is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:45   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Is there any specific method to check the ignition coil?
Yep!. You need to check each of the spark plugs if they are firing correctly. If ignition coil is shot, then firing will be erratic . If possible i'll try to cover that too. Thanks for the tip Jeevan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Dad's Ikon had this missing cropping up every now and then. Luckily, the issue vanished after I changed the plug wire set.
Its good that you replaced it asap. Actually, a tip for ignition coil longevity is: Keep your spark plugs and HT cables in prime condition. Its usually a bad spark plug/cable problem that evolves into an ignition coil issue.

Especially IKON's (Another defamed part)
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:19   #40
BHPian

Dear dhanushs,

Great information in this thread. Is it possible to procure (purchase/borrow or other means) a workshop manual for maruti dzire or swift. I checked up with Haynes, but they don't have it stock. Is there any other source?

How do you go about tinkering with the car? Do you follow any specific manual?

Thanks and regards

Saji
Old 4th July 2011, 13:32   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: How to clean/replace Air Filter

DIY: How to clean/replace Air Filter

Car: Ford Ikon Flair

Symptoms which lead to change/clean Air Filter: Airfilter cleaning/replacement is one of the basic things one can do to make the engine breath better. Cars running in dusty environments, might need a filter change or cleaning much before the recommended service interval.
Basically a clogged air filter means, the engine is not breathing as it should be, and it will result in reduced power output, as well as a reduced FE. In extreme cases, it causes idling and revving problems.

By this DIY, we intend to let the engine breath easy, and consequently, maintain optimum performance and Fuel Efficiency of the engine. You owe your beauty clean breath, eh?

Location of the Filter in the engine bay:
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacement.jpg

Step 1: Remove Screws. As shown in the figure, remove the four screws that hold the filter box in place. As the location of the screws are a bit tricky, a magnetic screw driver might have a slight edge.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacementremove-screw.jpg

Step 2: Remove the Plumbing. As shown in the figure, you will have to remove the plumbing for easily removing the filter box. You just have to twist it in the direction shown and pull it. Might be a bit tricky for the 1st time, but pretty simple.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacementremove-plumbing.jpg
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacement2.jpg

Step 3: Removing the box. After which, the Filter box can be removed. Well, getting the filter box out from its seating might need a bit of patience, and is a bit tricky for the first timers. But again, as I say, is pretty simple.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacement3.jpg

Step 4: Removing the filter. After removing the box, the filter can be just taken out of its seating. Nothing holding it back.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacement7.jpg

Air Filter Element
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacement4.jpg

Step 5: Clean or Replace Filter. If a replacement filter is not available/feasible, then you can clean the existing filter with compressed air. Again, if compressed air is not accessible (can be accessed in almost all service stations) , then a home vacuum cleaner will do for time being. Suck, blow, or do whatever you can to remove dust from it.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacement5.jpg

Step 6: Replace the Filter.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-air-filter-cleaning-replacement6.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter Cleaning Replacement7.JPG
Views:	4839
Size:	538.3 KB
ID:	571858

Step 7: Replace the box. Now, just like taking out the box out of its seating, this also can be a bit tricky. However, with some patience, you can seat it right. After which, screw it in. As I mentioned before, this is where a magnetic screw driver might have an edge. Though normal one will also do. I used a normal one.

Step 8:***IMPORTANT*** . Now, replace the plumbing back, which is the reverse of Step 2. However, the IMPORTANT thing one should consider is that, while replacing you might get a false feeling that it has fit properly, but, PLEASE ensure that it goes all the way in, just like when you pulled it out. Or else, you will be sucking in outside(impure air) into your engine at high rpms, which is a VERY BAD thing.

This is how, it should fit in.
A List of DIY's for your car: A Pictorial Guide-plumbing-fit.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 15:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

One of the TBHP members @anilsanil put this video for a Figo on the youtube - I guess this thread is the perfect place.

Dhanush - do you have something equivalent for Ikon?

Last edited by vina : 4th July 2011 at 15:58.
Old 4th July 2011, 23:45   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Dhanush - do you have something equivalent for Ikon?
Vina, the Ikon is old school, and doesn't have a digital ODO. So, cannot try out these tricks.

However, IIRC, the in the Civic, we can try out some pretty cool features. ie, make the center console show speed/rpm (don't remember) et al.. Will try to refresh it, and post.

dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 07:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

@Dhanush, the newer Ikons do have a Digital ODO. At least the TDCi's do (late 2008 onwards)
Old 5th July 2011, 12:26   #45
BHPian

Super neat!

First thing I did a week ago was clean the air filter to a squeaky clean whitish-grey.

Thanks much for this, DIYs are a big help.

Most Viewed