Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2015, 01:07   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMO no one uses the cabin light during driving. It is mainly used at toll booth or at any point where we need to search something or may be read.
Agreed, but many a times a passenger may need to switch on the light on the move. In such condition the LED lights dazzle the driver. I have seen a separate LED light assembly (with a cover and a switch) which adds on to the cabin light, you need to make a hole for the wire in the existing light and stick it to the roof. That's a much safer option as it can be activated only when it is needed and is safe. I haven't tried that though.

Just look at permium luxury cars- costs aren't an issue there. What sort of lights are they using in their cabins?

Last edited by fighterace : 3rd May 2015 at 01:09.
Old 3rd May 2015, 07:53   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post

Agreed, but many a times a passenger may need to switch on the light on the move. In such condition the LED lights dazzle the driver. I have seen a separate LED light assembly (with a cover and a switch) which adds on to the cabin light, you need to make a hole for the wire in the existing light and stick it to the roof.
I agree that you are talking keeping safety in mind and appreciate the thought.

I didn't want to tamper with the OEM setup hence just changed the bulb to LED
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:40   #48
BHPian

Many thanks to all the members who did contribute greatly for this DIY thread. Basis the step wise installation process, did change the cabin lamps to LED on both my cars. The entire setup did cost me Rs 100 only including all the wires 3M tape and the extra connector. The results are encouraging and cabin really lights up. At least two times the light with OEM bulbs.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 20:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have a similar setup in my car. I went for it after I accidentally dropped something in the rear cabin and had a super hard time finding it in the dark.

The front stock cabin light bulbs were replaced with LEDs. A bigger LED was connected in parallel at the rear. The bulb is placed at a discreet location (it's not visible unless you are looking for it).
The light throw at night is amazing, the entire cabin is lit up in a soft bluish-white light; but not jarringly so.
Also, I have added an additional one in the boot too, as I found the existing light there inadequate. This bulb was connected in parallel to the stock boot light, the bulb of which was also replaced with an LED.

Its been almost 3 years since the install and I haven't faced any problems.

Sharing a few old pics..

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-_dsc0003.jpg

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-_dsc0010.jpg

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-_dsc0022.jpg

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-_dsc0029.jpg

Attachment 1366694

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-_dsc0191.jpg
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 11:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I have a feeling it is not going to fit. I guess I will end up buying this one instead...

Product URL: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/spee...d-car/62780493
Quote:
This variant of LED too will not fit in the compartment as the width of LED strip is bigger.
So the product arrived yesterday. Check it out:

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-img_20150504_154636.jpg

I don't understand how this could happen. Aren't there any standards in the automobile industry?
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 11:58   #51
BANNED

Quote:
So the product arrived yesterday. Check it out:

I don't understand how this could happen. Aren't there any standards in the automobile industry?
Oops.

What VW has done is made the cabin light recess smaller and put in a bulb which is thin and long.

Try returning the product ASAP.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th May 2015 at 12:02.
Old 5th May 2015, 12:14   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
What VW has done is made the cabin light recess smaller and put in a bulb which is thin and long.
Guys, the C5W bulb or the festoon bulb as it is popularly known as, come in different lengths - 28, 30, 36, 38, 41, 43 mm.

Have a look at these pages from the respective brochures of Hella and Bosch:

Pages from Lamps_Bosch.pdf

Hella_Brochure.pdf

@TheLizardKing - Request your dealer if he can return back the bulb and offer one with an increased length. You should have checked the length of the stock festoon bulb in the dome light before purchasing it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 14:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Its better that you return this product and instead order a spring loaded festoon type cabin light.

This has the flexibility to adjust as per different lengths.
DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-_12.jpg
The image is just for a reference, taken from google.

Regards
Old 5th May 2015, 17:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Try returning the product ASAP.
Done. Snapdeal is extremely efficient. Their courier guy called me within an hour of my confirmation that I want to return it. I was in a meeting and had to ask him to come tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, the C5W bulb or the festoon bulb as it is popularly known as, come in different lengths - 28, 30, 36, 38, 41, 43 mm.
@TheLizardKing - Request your dealer if he can return back the bulb and offer one with an increased length. You should have checked the length of the stock festoon bulb in the dome light before purchasing it.
Trust the Team-BHP DIY Guru to have all the necessary information. Regarding your suggestion, I would have done that had I known that the festoon bulb comes in more than one size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Its better that you return this product and instead order a spring loaded festoon type cabin light.
Thanks for the suggestion. If you see an earlier post on mine on page 2 of this thread, you will see that the ceiling light compartment of the Polo is ridiculously small, and can only accommodate an integrated LED bulb like I ordered. There is no room for a connector + LED panel...
Old 5th May 2015, 18:15   #55
BANNED

Quote:
If you see an earlier post on mine on page 2 of this thread, you will see that the ceiling light compartment of the Polo is ridiculously small, and can only accommodate an integrated LED bulb like I ordered. There is no room for a connector + LED panel...
Wish I had access to a Polo so that I could check it.

I am sure there is some jugaad to this.
Old 5th May 2015, 20:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure there is some jugaad to this.
Sir there is no need for jugaad. Just give me the dimensions of the panel and I'll check. I found a similar product by Vheelocity on Amazon, and one of the reviews say the panel is about 1 in. x 2 in., which should fit. But I'd rather buy the Speedwav product, cuz it looks more reliable...
Old 5th May 2015, 23:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. If you see an earlier post on mine on page 2 of this thread, you will see that the ceiling light compartment of the Polo is ridiculously small, and can only accommodate an integrated LED bulb like I ordered. There is no room for a connector + LED panel...
The LED panel that I suggested is not big as it seems. More of a camera trick to make the consumer feel that he is getting a big light. Its of the same dimension as the light you had ordered. I visited your post on Page 2 and I am quite sure that the light shall fit in.

To be doubly sure, you can measure the length vs breadth of the space in your car. Most sellers mentions the dimensions of the product in the listing for the customer's convenience.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 11:58   #58
BHPian

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-61llbtchhel._sl1024_.jpg

I ended up buying this on Amazon. It looks like it is small enough for my Polo. Plus the festoon adapter is spring loaded, and should not create any size related problems...
Old 7th May 2015, 00:30   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Sir there is no need for jugaad. Just give me the dimensions of the panel and I'll check.
First of all apologies as I couldn't get you the dimensions of the panel etc in time.

Today I got the time to open and check the dimensions, here they are:

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-24-smd-led-strip.jpg

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-b-festoon-connector.jpg

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-6.-final-view.jpg

PS: These are approximate readings and would be a slight variant to the actual ones.

Quote:
I ended up buying on Amazon. It looks like it is small enough for my Polo. Plus the festoon adapter is spring loaded, and should not create any size related problems.
That's similar to what I have bought and installed. Awaiting results. All the best.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 16:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
That's similar to what I have bought and installed. Awaiting results. All the best.
Thanks for the effort! I was just expecting L x W dimensions of the panel, but you went the whole nine yards there!

The package arrived this morning, and works well. Now I have only one minor problem. Given the small size of the compartment, I don't have a lot of places to stick the LED panel. Also, I am incredibly anal, and want the light at the centre of the compartment (the same position as the OEM bulb).

I thought about it, and the only way out seems to be to fashion an L shaped bracket (from an aluminium sheet?) which can hang from one of the bulb terminal pins and hold the panel. I will do it this weekend (time permitting) and put up a pic once done.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th May 2015 at 16:13.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks