Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 15:52   #76
BHPian

Re: DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Hi

Do you have any photos or video of the removal of the fog lamp cover? I want to do a DIY install of 2.5 inch H11 projector fog lamp units and LED bulbs with low/high beam. I need to know how to get access to the fog lamp holder. If you could post pictures or video of how to take off the chrome fog lamp cover and the black molding to get access to the mounting screws, it would be great.

Also, I understand that the fitment issues you faced were partly due to the 3-inch units that you used. Would the retrofit have been easier if you had gone for 2.5-inch units? Are the foglamps a standard size, or do you need any special brackets?

Thanks in advance..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi View Post
I too took the plunge and Installed the fog projectors on my 2015 Ecosport TDCI, these were purchased from a seller in Delhi named Blaze India, special thanks to @Dr.Naren who gave the lead of this seller in his thread Bi-Xenon Projector Fog lamps for his S-Cross.

I opted for the 3 inch 55W setup, upon reading some reviews and consulting the seller I ended up ordering 5500k bulbs (which are suitable under all weather conditions) the kit costed me INR 6900 along with shipping .
I too am contemplating to order the HID projector set from Blaze India. The dilemma I have is the projector size; 2.5" or 3"??

I read in Moto_Guzzi's post that 3" ones foul with the chrome shroud on the fog lamp holder.

I see Vivek has also enquired about the fitment of 2.5" ones compared to the 3" ones.

Expert opinions are welcome.
Old 25th April 2020, 01:10   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I had ordered the iphcar/sinolyn H11 projector fog lights from Aliexpress. These are the same ones that Xenon planet and blaze india sells.

In conclusion, For the Ford ecosport - Don't bother with LED headlights. Get some upgraded bulbs like Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker.

Put 3000-4300K HID in stock foglights or if you feel guilty for oncoming traffic, get the 2.5inch projectors from Aliexpress (not 3inches as these are bigger than stock).
We have a 2016 Ecosport Titanium + TDCi in our garage, it has done around 70k km. One of the biggest issue for me has been the light output, which in one word is hopeless. At around the 25-26k km mark, I tried 100/90 watt bulbs with a relay kit. The improvement in lighting was decent & enough for me. Though as the car approached the 55k km mark, I noticed that the reflectors were getting faded (I guess due to excessive heat). So, I removed the 100/90 watt bulbs & went back to the OE 60/55 watt bulbs.

Now I want to give projector fog lights a try & hopefully sort out the lighting issue once & for all. From your post it seems Ecosport is a bit complicated to work on, like most Fords. I want to go the projector way & not the HID in stock fog light way. What would you suggest? What size projector would fit in the Ecosport? I don't mind getting rid of the chrome cover if needed. I checked both the fog lights of the Ecosport & the Swift, to me they looked to be of similar size, the Swift has a 3" fog light.

The next issue is the wiring. Can I run the HIDs with the stock fog light wiring? In the 2015 facelift, Ford introduced these stupid DRLs in the top end Titanium + variant. The DRLs are housed inside the fog lights & are yellow in color . On close inspection, I could see that there are two bulbs inside the fog light housing. I don't mind losing the DRLs, just that fog lights shouldn't be on all the time. Thank you in advance.

DRL on:

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-drls-.jpg

Fog light on:

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-fog-1.jpg

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-fog-2.jpg

Size comparison with Swift's fog light:

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-fog-lights.jpg

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-swift-fog-light.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 25th April 2020 at 01:22.
Old 28th April 2020, 20:14   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Now I want to give projector fog lights a try & hopefully sort out the lighting issue once & for all. From your post it seems Ecosport is a bit complicated to work on, like most Fords. I want to go the projector way & not the HID in stock fog light way. What would you suggest? What size projector would fit in the Ecosport? I don't mind getting rid of the chrome cover if needed. I checked both the fog lights of the Ecosport & the Swift, to me they looked to be of similar size, the Swift has a 3" fog light.
The EcoSport with round fog lights was one of the best cars to install HID projector fog lights. You can install 3" projectors by filing away some part of the insides of the chrome bezel of the stock fog lamp shroud. Alternatively you can remove the chrome bit altogether for an easier fit. 2.5" projector would fit easier but I think the light output of a 3" projector is far better & they are the ones to go for.
Quote:
The next issue is the wiring. Can I run the HIDs with the stock fog light wiring? In the 2015 facelift, Ford introduced these stupid DRLs in the top end Titanium + variant. The DRLs are housed inside the fog lights & are yellow in color . On close inspection, I could see that there are two bulbs inside the fog light housing. I don't mind losing the DRLs, just that fog lights shouldn't be on all the time. Thank you in advance.
I'd strongly recommend not installing the HIDs with stock wiring. You are looking at 110W total power consumption & also a very high start up surge when the ballasts fire for HID arc generation. Both are significantly higher than the stock halogen bulbs - which are never higher than 55W and generally lower for fog lights in fact. Stock wiring will not be able to handle this OR can generate BCM errors / blow fuses.

Run separate wiring directly from the battery using a relay harness. You can connect the stock fog light's connector (on one side) to the relay's switching socket OR you can simply install a separate button somewhere besides the steering wheel for these fog lights.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 00:38   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
You can install 3" projectors by filing away some part of the insides of the chrome bezel of the stock fog lamp shroud. Alternatively you can remove the chrome bit altogether for an easier fit. 2.5" projector would fit easier but I think the light output of a 3" projector is far better & they are the ones to go for.
Thanks for the advice . I think it will be better to go with 3" projectors, since light output is most important to me. I don't mind filing the bezel or even removing the bezel altogether, if needed. The thing I am worried about are the mounting points, the projector needs to fit perfectly in its place, otherwise it is bound to create issues in the long run.
Quote:
I'd strongly recommend not installing the HIDs with stock wiring. You are looking at 110W total power consumption & also a very high start up surge when the ballasts fire for HID arc generation. Both are significantly higher than the stock halogen bulbs - which are never higher than 55W and generally lower for fog lights in fact. Stock wiring will not be able to handle this OR can generate BCM errors / blow fuses.
I guess it will be safer to go with a relay kit, I had previously used a H4 relay kit while running 100/90W bulbs (now removed). The issue however is finding H11 relay kit in Guwahati, only H4 relay kit is easily available here. From where did you buy the H11 relay kit?

I went through the Ecosport's user manual, the stock fog lights are rated at 55W, connector type is H11. Here's the photo:

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-fog-light-rating.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 29th April 2020 at 00:40.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 10:09   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it will be safer to go with a relay kit, I had previously used a H4 relay kit while running 100/90W bulbs (now removed). The issue however is finding H11 relay kit in Guwahati, only H4 relay kit is easily available here. From where did you buy the H11 relay kit?
H4 to H11 conversion connector pigtails are generally available. Have a look. Also - if you source your set from Blaze India - ask him that you want a relay harness with H11 connector for the switching line. He had those the last time I had checked. He can also give the conversion connector if not the relay harness with H11.

If you can get the H11 converter / harness - you'll be able to use the existing fog light button on the car dashboard, and won't need a separate switch to be installed somewhere - which you'll need otherwise.

Also - H4 connector is basically Low beam, high beam & ground pins. You can simply cut this connector, install an H11 connector sourced from car spares store & then simply plug that into the stock plug. Leave the high beam wire cut, insulated and unused. I have used an H4 kit in both my cars and cut the connector.
Quote:
I went through the Ecosport's user manual, the stock fog lights are rated at 55W, connector type is H11. Here's the photo:
Ah, like the Honda City then, EcoSport also has 55W fog lights. That's so good. Then - in theory your car can work with the HID projectors without needing a relay harness. However - I'd still strongly recommend going with a separate relay harness. It will give far cleaner power delivery straight from the battery and avoid any flicker on the HIDs.
Also - does your car have the stupid "cornering" feature via fog lights? i.e. the fog light of a side automatically turns on when car is turning? If yes - there is no way you can use stock wiring. You'll need a separate switch on dashboard & won't be able to even use the existing fog light switch there.

@Vid6639 - please move our discussion to the auto lighting thread if you feel its appropriate there. We don't want to hijack your thread unless its okay with you!

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th April 2020 at 10:20.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 16:10   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
H4 to H11 conversion connector pigtails are generally available. Have a look. Also - if you source your set from Blaze India - ask him that you want a relay harness with H11 connector for the switching line. He had those the last time I had checked. He can also give the conversion connector if not the relay harness with H11.
I contacted Blaze India earlier this morning regarding the availability of the HID kit & relay kit. Both are available with him, relay kit is H4 based, though he assured me it will be plug & play. So I guess he will send the conversion connector with the relay kit.
Quote:
Also - does your car have the stupid "cornering" feature via fog lights? i.e. the fog light of a side automatically turns on when car is turning? If yes - there is no way you can use stock wiring. You'll need a separate switch on dashboard & won't be able to even use the existing fog light switch there.
Fortunately my model doesn't come with any sort of cornering function via fog light & no Canbus as well. So, I believe the stock fog light switch should work perfectly. Unlike a Maruti, there isn't any space on the dashboard to fit an additional switch.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 00:58   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Tried to fit the projectors and the mounting holes do not align with the OE ones.

All 4 mounting holes don't align but 2 will, so you if you bend the bracket you can get 2 screws to align well. Even the stock fogs only have 2 screws with other 2 as guide points. Now I need to figure this bit out.
I have ordered my Kit from Blaze, to be installed on my Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCI, I think Ecosport and Fiesta share the same Fog Lamps, any pointer or tips that I can prep before the installation particularly in regards to the bracket? I am open to cutting the bracket and welding it or get custom bracket made, I want to ensure the work done the first time is done right, as I will need to take the bumper off to fit the Projectors, there is very little access from the bottom of the car.
Old 7th October 2020, 08:17   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I have ordered my Kit from Blaze, to be installed on my Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCI, I think Ecosport and Fiesta share the same Fog Lamps, any pointer or tips that I can prep before the installation particularly in regards to the bracket? I am open to cutting the bracket and welding it or get custom bracket made, I want to ensure the work done the first time is done right, as I will need to take the bumper off to fit the Projectors, there is very little access from the bottom of the car.
It aligns with 3 screws and not all 4. So the best option is to bend one screw mount by 90 degrees and use the other 3.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 23:59   #84
BHPian

Sorry to pitch in for an off-topic thing. I am planning to buy Ecosports Titanium and today the dealer told me that the HID's from Sports variant can be installed in Titanium variant for a price of 9500.
Just want to know if this is really possible or the dealer is just taking me for a ride ?
Old 26th October 2020, 21:40   #85

I have a 2017 Titanium model, and the low beam takes a H18 65w bulb. When the RH went kaput, I had to wait at the ASS for 2 hours to get it. They opened it up from another new headlight set and gave it to me.

I went to the Hennur shops but didn't get them there. Everyone was suggesting to go for H7 but when I showed that H18 had a different cut/base, they didn't know what to do. Ford VST spares said they do not keep bulbs.

Can someone suggest a place to buy these in Bangalore?
Old 30th October 2020, 11:36   #86
BHPian

Quote:
We have a 2016 Ecosport Titanium + TDCi in our garage, it has done around 70k km. One of the biggest issue for me has been the light output, which in one word is hopeless. At around the 25-26k km mark, I tried 100/90 watt bulbs with a relay kit. The improvement in lighting was decent & enough for me. Though as the car approached the 55k km mark, I noticed that the reflectors were getting faded (I guess due to excessive heat). So, I removed the 100/90 watt bulbs & went back to the OE 60/55 watt bulbs.
Hello guys, dropping here after a really long time. Have actually come across the issue of headlights with my Ecosport(2014, TDCI). Was never a fan of Stock Bulbs and had changed them within the first 10K kms usage in about 6 months. Upgraded to Night Breaker H4's from Osram. Worked pretty well until now. The car is nearing 70K kms, and my recent drive was a nightmare to drive post 6 pm due to the poor headlights, the throw is really not where it's supposed to be and the brightness is just not upto the mark. Planning to upgrade to Rally Kit with 100/90. Please let me know your opinions on the same. Also I'm using the Osram LED DRiving Fog Lamps with DRL. Not that satisfied but provide a good solution with DRL's.

Regards,
Kaushik
Old 30th October 2020, 12:23   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
Hello guys, dropping here after a really long time. Have actually come across the issue of headlights with my Ecosport(2014, TDCI). Was never a fan of Stock Bulbs and had changed them within the first 10K kms usage in about 6 months. Upgraded to Night Breaker H4's from Osram. Worked pretty well until now. The car is nearing 70K kms, and my recent drive was a nightmare to drive post 6 pm due to the poor headlights, the throw is really not where it's supposed to be and the brightness is just not upto the mark. Planning to upgrade to Rally Kit with 100/90. Please let me know your opinions on the same. Also I'm using the Osram LED DRiving Fog Lamps with DRL. Not that satisfied but provide a good solution with DRL's.

Regards,
Kaushik
Upgrade the fog lamps to 35W HID's in projector. That will improve the lighting by a big margin. I think resident mod Vid6639 has done it on his ecosport. You may check his thread. Should be a plug and play affair

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 30th October 2020 at 12:36.
Old 30th October 2020, 14:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Upgrade the fog lamps to 35W HID's in projector. That will improve the lighting by a big margin. I think resident mod Vid6639 has done it on his ecosport. You may check his thread. Should be a plug and play affair
Thanks Sagar, but as I mentioned, have installed Osram LED FOG's and they did cost a Bomb so not planning on uninstalling them. Need some upgrade for my main head lights..
Old 30th October 2020, 16:57   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
Thanks Sagar, but as I mentioned, have installed Osram LED FOG's and they did cost a Bomb so not planning on uninstalling them. Need some upgrade for my main head lights..
OK. In that case your only option is good quality LED's in the main headlamp as well
Old 30th October 2020, 18:33   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
OK. In that case your only option is good quality LED's in the main headlamp as well
Are there any good ones out there, that you can suggest, or have used? My honest opinion after using LED's - In Pitch Dark, they are awesome, but in mixed highway use they're barely seen.

Mod Note : Please punctuate, capitalize where ever required, also, you are requested to proof read posts before submitting them.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th October 2020 at 18:50. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks