Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 18:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice job done there by both of you. i think you can just fabricate it out of two pieces of flat aluminium plate little thick in case there is problem finding ready made fitting. you will get the idea if you visit good home hardware shop. example the lever used in bathroom windows which is hinged at center. mount it on side of seat or the the inner side of front door frame on front side or rear as convenient.

Last edited by gigy : 12th January 2009 at 18:47.
Old 12th January 2009, 18:54   #17
BHPian

benbsb is lever mechanism is not available in accessories shop like TATA etc from where you procured the cable wire.
Old 12th January 2009, 18:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Cool Job Benny/Parwath,
The lack of remote boot release was one of the reasons among others that made me decide against Ikon, but now you have provided a neat and cost effective solution I'm sure all Ikon owners here will be doing it soon.
Congrats on a job well done again.
BTW what's next??
Old 12th January 2009, 19:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

Take off the door sill trims and then you can route the cable neatly hidden under the carpet, make a small hole at the end where you need to get the cable out and into the lever.

EDIT: Just saw that you have already hidden the cable away

Try sourcing the cable and the button thingie that comes on the dash from Ford A.S.S and then you can make it OE fitment, or is that the price of these two parts? :P

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th January 2009 at 19:04.
Old 12th January 2009, 19:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thats cool Ben and Parwath bhai.......
Old 12th January 2009, 19:07   #21
BHPian

Thats a fantastic DIY job by both of you.. Very light on the pocket compared to the ford's product. What an idea sirjee. Keep it up guys. waiting for updates.
Old 12th January 2009, 19:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow !! Thats some DIY work there Benny and Parwath, cool stuff.Congratulations to the both of you chaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Time required (after getting the parts) : 15 minutes.
So after those 15 mins what did you both do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Condor and myself are still in the process of sourcing the lever appropriate for this, and thinking of where to fix it. Will update this thread once that has been finalized and fixed.
Try the baleno's boot release lever, should be something easy to install and try.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

GREAT job, Benny & Condor! Among the best DIY jobs I've seen here!
Old 12th January 2009, 20:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Good i will check if something can be done for my Getz. Will check this weekend
Err... why do you need it? Getz has a openig lever at the boot-door itself, which can be opened by center-locking. I find it much more useful than remote-opening since I can open the boot without key from outside itself (when I came out of big bazaar with six bags this feature is a boon).

\N
Old 12th January 2009, 20:56   #25
BHPian

"Brains" is what you've used. A fantastic DIY.

I think everyone who buys a car without remote boot release will now first check the unlocking mechanism (another deciding factor)
Old 12th January 2009, 22:10   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Nice job done there by both of you. i think you can just fabricate it out of two pieces of flat aluminium plate little thick in case there is problem finding ready made fitting. you will get the idea if you visit good home hardware shop. example the lever used in bathroom windows which is hinged at center. mount it on side of seat or the the inner side of front door frame on front side or rear as convenient.
The seat base is what was being discussed, but the thought will still need to be explored further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
benbsb is lever mechanism is not available in accessories shop like TATA etc from where you procured the cable wire.
We had visited Prerna on JC Road to procure the lever, but they were out of spares. Everyone conveniently used the excuse of the truck strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Cool Job Benny/Parwath,
The lack of remote boot release was one of the reasons among others that made me decide against Ikon, but now you have provided a neat and cost effective solution I'm sure all Ikon owners here will be doing it soon.
Congrats on a job well done again.
BTW what's next??
6.5k kept you away from the Ikon, Hari? I am sure you can afford that much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Take off the door sill trims and then you can route the cable neatly hidden under the carpet, make a small hole at the end where you need to get the cable out and into the lever.

EDIT: Just saw that you have already hidden the cable away

Try sourcing the cable and the button thingie that comes on the dash from Ford A.S.S and then you can make it OE fitment, or is that the price of these two parts? :P
To be frank, i dont know how the OEM fitemtn looks like. We could probably ask Budhiraj to put up a pic of that, since he had that retrofitted to his TDCi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Thats cool Ben and Parwath bhai.......
Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Thats a fantastic DIY job by both of you.. Very light on the pocket compared to the ford's product. What an idea sirjee. Keep it up guys. waiting for updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
GREAT job, Benny & Condor! Among the best DIY jobs I've seen here!
Thank Condor - the man behind the idea. Stay tuned for updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Holy cow !! Thats some DIY work there Benny and Parwath, cool stuff.Congratulations to the both of you chaps.

So after those 15 mins what did you both do ?

Try the baleno's boot release lever, should be something easy to install and try.
Thanks Riju! Can you possibly mail me a pic of the lever? Parwath was suggesting trying out the lever from the Wagon R, but can check up on other options as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Err... why do you need it? Getz has a openig lever at the boot-door itself, which can be opened by center-locking. I find it much more useful than remote-opening since I can open the boot without key from outside itself (when I came out of big bazaar with six bags this feature is a boon).
If there was a handle which could be used when unlocked, this need wouldnt arise. The lack of it was the reason one needed to tur off the ignition, and then use the same key to open the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
"Brains" is what you've used. A fantastic DIY.

I think everyone who buys a car without remote boot release will now first check the unlocking mechanism (another deciding factor)
This simple DIY will take care of one of the flaws from the providing.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th January 2009 at 22:12.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:35   #27
BHPian

Is it possible to try out the lever from fiesta , if it is cheaper .
Old 12th January 2009, 22:46   #28
BHPian

pardon my ignorance . Is it possible to remove the fuel lid opener lever also and replace it with the combination one (fuel + boot lever) from indigo
Old 13th January 2009, 08:15   #29
BHPian

good work there,you make it sound real simple and i really know that the boot release as a very important feature!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, is this lack of remote boot-release only with the Flair or with all Ikon models ?
What about the Fiesta variants ? Do they come with this feature ?
i guess the ikons have external boot release while the fiesta EXi have internal boot release mechanisms.the higher versions ZXi and SXi comes with internal and remote boot release.
Old 13th January 2009, 09:09   #30
BHPian

Wonderful, Benny and Condor.
You could probably open a DIY workshops at Your garage

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks