Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 17:00   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Parwath, I suppose he was referring to the lever.
Between, where would the lever be mounted? Decided on that?
yes ,you are right ben. I was referring to the lever.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:44   #62
BHPian

@ Benny & Condor

Have you guys managed to install the lever for the DIY ??
Old 9th April 2009, 19:44   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

@4Strings, parts, man. TASS centers here are saying they dont have it. It's a part that does not conk out often, hence the delay in getting it.

Else, the mount point is identified. Have been using just the cable, and have not found any problems / inconvinience using it.
Old 9th April 2009, 19:48   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Else, the mount point is identified. Have been using just the cable, and have not found any problems / inconvinience using it.
Same here, and each and every time i use it i realize what a glaring omission Ford chose to make.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:49   #65
BHPian

Hi benbsb29 & Condor,

This is a great piece of DIY. I would like to try this out in my dad's Ikon Flair. I have a few doubts for which I need some clarification before proceeding further with the procurement.
1) The location cited in the attached picture is covered with a beige plastic cover. Do I have to remove it for fixing the lever? If required, how do I remove it. Is it just by pulling the cover?
2) Were there nuts already welded as seen in the picture?
3) Was the lever mechanism exactly from Sumo or Indigo? (No idea if both are same. In the explanation it has been mentioned as Indigo lever set, but the picture filename calls it as Sumo Lever.jpg. In Sumo is it used for opening the fuel lid?)
4) Did the holes in lever mechanism match exactly with the welded nuts?
5) As per you explanation on the DIY I ll look for a cable from Indigo or CS.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-sumo20lever.jpg  

Old 26th May 2009, 23:47   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
1) The location cited in the attached picture is covered with a beige plastic cover. Do I have to remove it for fixing the lever? If required, how do I remove it. Is it just by pulling the cover?
2) Were there nuts already welded as seen in the picture?
3) Was the lever mechanism exactly from Sumo or Indigo? (No idea if both are same. In the explanation it has been mentioned as Indigo lever set, but the picture filename calls it as Sumo Lever.jpg. In Sumo is it used for opening the fuel lid?)
4) Did the holes in lever mechanism match exactly with the welded nuts?
5) As per you explanation on the DIY I ll look for a cable from Indigo or CS.
Hi ilango, the lever mechanism hasnt been explored any further for the time being since the cable in itself serves the purpose, and the lack of a proper mount point for the lever. I guess this in itself would cover most of your questions, and will try to answer the others.

The lever mechanism which Condor had thought of using was from the Sumo, which he has still been unsuccessful in procuring.

If you are able to make progress using the cable alone, that should suffice and serve your purpose. I have been using it on a daily basis with the cable alone.

Do keep us posted on your progress.
Old 27th May 2009, 09:43   #67
BHPian

Hi benbsb29,
Thank you for the quick reply. The car is at my home town in TN and it is quite difficult to procure such spares over there. SO I had the idea of buying the materials required, and fixing them up during my next visit to home. BTW if you want me to look for any actuation lever from SUmo or some other vehicle, I could take a look around here for you.
-Ilango
Old 27th May 2009, 11:56   #68
BHPian

the cable end looks similar to a cycle or motorbike cable end. Perhaps a cut down brake lever and lever mount could be adapted?
Old 27th May 2009, 22:24   #69
BHPian

Great job benbsb, my friend recently bought an Ikon TDCi and he was still in the confused as to get that lever mechanism from the dealership or not. One one hand he wanted to get it to avoid switching off the car and on the other he didn't because of the cost factor. But thanks to you guys now he's so happy... we are going to try this tomorrow morning and if we have any questions can I PM you?
Old 7th June 2009, 12:18   #70
BHPian

I did the DIY trunk release on my friend's ikon TDci and I actually ran the whole wire through the plastic panel and left the wire popping out just below the dashboard. One of the mechanics told me that we can use the lever for esteem. I don't know how right he was and couldn't even check as I couldn't find the lever for esteem as well. Anyway here's how the wire looks in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-img00151200906032024.jpg  

Old 7th June 2009, 13:31   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

@Somu, wasn't difficult, was it ?
Quote:
Somu2009 : One of the mechanics told me that we can use the lever for esteem.
Ask him to show the lever : you just need to match the cable end with the lever. If that part is fine, then the rest is mostly aesthetic. You can mount the lever to nut / screw behind the plastic housing directly below where the cable is coming out now, near the floor.
Old 8th June 2009, 11:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Somu, wasn't difficult, was it ? Ask him to show the lever : you just need to match the cable end with the lever. If that part is fine, then the rest is mostly aesthetic. You can mount the lever to nut / screw behind the plastic housing directly below where the cable is coming out now, near the floor.
No it wasn't difficult at all, infact what made it more easy were the detailed photos with the description on the 1st page of this thread. I am going to the market tomorrow and will try to hunt for something that fits so hopefully by Wednesday I should be able to come up with some update.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:48   #73
Team-BHP Support

Somu, all credit to the mastermind of this project- Condor.

On my car, the end of the cable lies along the floor of the car, although not difficult to use. Looks like you people have found a better position to place it for the time being.

EDIT : Parwath, any updates on the levers which illango was mentioning?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th June 2009 at 13:49.
Old 9th June 2009, 21:19   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : EDIT : Parwath, any updates on the levers which illango was mentioning?
My SA's back from vacation, & order's placed. So now waiting for the item to reach me.

Here's the most likely mount point : this area below the plastic/fibre plate has a screw socket.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-mount-point.jpg
Old 17th June 2009, 12:32   #75
BHPian

Codor, Any updates on the lever issue yet? I haven't been able to try anything about the lever yet so was wondering if you've had any luck so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks