Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 16:34   #1
Team-BHP Support

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up

A remote boot release is something that’s a fundamental part of a car. Or so would any one think. Unless of-course, if you are Ford. Not providing it as standard equipment is one thing. But making owners pay 6500/- for that never made sense. Even if it is a motorized unit. Then again, a motorized unit is not required at all, when all it needs to do is pull a hook to release the boot lock.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-01-schematic.jpg

Such pricing from them kept away many people from going in for the retrofit, and decided to brave the part about having the security opening the boot using the key when stopped at security checks. From this was born the urge to DIY, and create a release mechanism which was easy on the pocket, as well as served the purpose.

The idea behind this DIY, along with the execution was carried out by our member Condor, who has done the same on my Ikon as well.

Tools and items required for this DIY are fairly simple, and as follows:
- A screw-driver bit (hex/6 pointed star). Should be part of the bit-set of the T-shaped screw-driver that comes with interchangeable bits.
- Boot release cable from the Indigo. (Indigo CS will be better, if you can get that)
- A pair of pliers (small : Will be required to pull the cable through one hole in the boot).
- A length of wire (electrical / spring wire)
- Some string

Mark the position of the boot lock. This will be helpful when fitting it back. Have found it very useful to fix the boot-lock unit it in its original position - This will help ensure the locking mechanism engages the hook on the boot-lid correctly.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-03-boot-lock-mark-position.jpg

There are three rubber sleeves at the lock/release end of the cable. Push these towards the end of the cable, about 6 inches short of the end of the cable. (These sleeves are not required in our case).

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-05-bush-cable.jpg

Remove the bolts from the boot locking mechanism, and then gently lift this without exerting much force. The travel will not be much, but it is sufficient.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-08-lock-unit.jpg

Pass the spare wire you have (electrical / spring wire) through this hole, and pull the other end out of the opening of the boot-lock.
Tie the control end of the boot-release cable to this wire, and pull the wire such that the boot release cable comes out the hole. The cylindrical head will not come out through the hole very easily, so you may need to use the pliers to pull it out.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-04-boot-rel-cable.jpg

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-06-inside-boot2.jpg

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-02-inside-boot.jpg

Use a piece of wire tied to the cable with string to route the cable through the small gap which is present, and pull out the wire and hence the cable through the opening for the locking mechanism.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-07-cable-emerges.jpg

Now attach the cable to the locking mechanism, making sure the cable sits tightly in the grooves or slots which are present on the lock.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-09-connect-cable.jpg

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-10cable-place.jpg

To check if the cable is able to release the lock, pull the other end of the cable and check if the release happens.
Once you have ensured that this works, fix the locking mechanism back to its original place.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-11-cable-path-rear-seat.jpg

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-12-cable-routing-boot-2.jpg

Push the control end of the cable between the seat & the floor of the boot. After pushing the cable a little, you will need to go around to the rear seat, squeeze your hand below the bench of the rear-seat and pull out the cable. Pull it in such a way that it comes out near the door.

Pull the cable sufficiently so that the control end can reach upto a little beyond the front seat. Route the cable along the inside of the door frame, and then tuck it inside below the plastic that is found inside the door frame.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-13-routing-rear-door.jpg

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-14-routing-driver-seat.jpg

Back in the boot, run the cable along this ‘cable tray’ underneath the carpet. Loop the remaining length of the cable in the boot, and tie it using some string to keep it in place. You can also loop the extra cable underneath the spare tyre.

To release the boot lock, just hold the sheath of the cable in one hand, and pull the cylindrical head end of the cable with the other. ‘Pop’ goes the boot !

Freedom for Ikon owners now has a new meaning : being able to open the boot of the Ikon without having to switch off the engine, and going out there with the ignition key in hand :-P

Now, you are free to use the boot release mechanism by pulling the cable end from within the cabin.

COSTS INVOLVED : For those who think why even be bothered about this mod, think again!!

Boot release mechanism from the dealer : Rs 6500/-
DIY for boot release mechanism : Rs 152/- (Tata genuine spare part for Indigo)
Time required (after getting the parts) : 15 minutes.

FUTURE PLANS :
Phase 2 of this project would involve sourcing a lever mechanism to which the cable end would be attached thereby providing a more neater release and similar to other cars.

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-sumo-lever.jpg

Condor and myself are still in the process of sourcing the lever appropriate for this, and thinking of where to fix it. Will update this thread once that has been finalized and fixed.

Note:
We have checked the Esteem’s boot release cable, but that cable’s connector is different, and not compatible with the boot lock unit of the Ikon.

Indica’s boot release cable is shorter than required & only 7 ft long. We need a cable that is about 10 ft long. If you can get the cable from the Indigo CS, it will be good. But even the slightly longer Indigo’s boot release cable works perfectly, except for the loop for the extra cable.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th January 2009 at 16:42.
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2009, 16:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

This is bl00dy awesome !!! Why don't you make a car for yourself now benny
Old 12th January 2009, 16:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Woohoo, so this is what the geniuses have been planning. Fantastic effort guys will eagerly wait for your updates.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great stuff Benny & Condor

Hmm How I wish my Alto had this, I am very sure it has all the options in car body as the VXi had boot release. Now if only some one does this DIY in Alto
Old 12th January 2009, 17:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

That seems like some very serious DIY process. Splendid work. Keep us updated about phase 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hmm How I wish my Alto had this, I am very sure it has all the options in car body as the VXi had boot release. Now if only some one does this DIY in Alto
hmmm.. now, this has given me some thoughts .

Last edited by badboyscad : 12th January 2009 at 17:07.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Awesome DIY there, Benny & condor. Especially because it is something useful and so much more cost-effective than the available option.

BTW, is this lack of remote boot-release only with the Flair or with all Ikon models ?
What about the Fiesta variants ? Do they come with this feature ?
Old 12th January 2009, 17:21   #7
BHPian

Good i will check if something can be done for my Getz. Will check this weekend
Old 12th January 2009, 17:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

cogratulations genius for this DIY work.

kaash, alto me bhi aisa kuchh ho sakata hai?
Old 12th January 2009, 17:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd
Good i will check if something can be done for my Getz.
I would not be surprised at MSIL's cost-cutting, but even Hyundai does it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD
Our '85 M800 came with both key-opening and a remote opening lever to the right of the driver's seat. Since then, looks like MSIL has been saving some bucks by removing this from the later M800s (our '99 model does not have it) and Altos.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
My 2004 model base version of Xing has a boot release lever. Are you sure getz doesn't have it?
Old 12th January 2009, 18:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I would not be surprised at MSIL's cost-cutting, but even Hyundai does it ?
I think it is 200 bucks for Hyundai but it is called cost cutting
Just on second thought since the lock mechanism and the key are already connected through wire as key hole is place below the rear light for IKON it may be easy to put. But in Getz the key goes to the lever itself.
Let me compare with Sx4 which has lever and lock together. Will update by next week.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th August 2020 at 06:50. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 12th January 2009, 18:28   #12
BHPian

Good stuff benbsb
Old 12th January 2009, 18:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
My 2004 model base version of Xing has a boot release lever. Are you sure getz doesn't have it?
Yes it has only Petrol lever. It is Getz GLS not Getz prime and 2008 model. So I can use the Xing cable for the same if things work out
Old 12th January 2009, 18:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good job Benny and Condor. When can you help me do this for my car
Also, please invite me to your future DIY projects

- Jag
Old 12th January 2009, 18:33   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This is bl00dy awesome !!! Why don't you make a car for yourself now benny
Thanks Eddy. That will have to wait for now.. unless Condor has other ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Woohoo, so this is what the geniuses have been planning. Fantastic effort guys will eagerly wait for your updates.
Samarth, didnt i tell you the wait would be worth it? Try it out. Else we can meet sometime and implement it. Pretty simple now, as all the R&D has been done by Condor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Great stuff Benny & Condor.

Check out the unlocking mechanism in the Alto. If it has a similar arrangement, it would be really easy. For hatches the job just becomes easier as getting the cable into the passenger cabin is simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
That seems like some very serious DIY process. Splendid work. Keep us updated about phase 2.
Phase 2 is still being worked upon, to find the exact lever which would be suitable, and most importantly, where to mount it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Awesome DIY there, Benny & condor. Especially because it is something useful and so much more cost-effective than the available option.

BTW, is this lack of remote boot-release only with the Flair or with all Ikon models ?
What about the Fiesta variants ? Do they come with this feature ?
Biju, the cost reduction acheived is immense! This can be realized at just 2% of the cost which is being charged.

I believe this has been left out in the 1.3s. AFAIK, the 1.6s had these as standard. The Fiesta has this as a standard feature.

Quote:
Primarily, check out the lock, to decide upon the course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
congratulations genius for this DIY work.

Check out the reply to Technocrat.

Quote:
I think it is 200 bucks for Hyundai but it is called cost cutting
Just on second thought since the lock mechanism and the key are already connected through wire as key hole is place below the rear light for IKON it may be easy to put. But in Getz the key goes to the lever itself.
Let me compare with Sx4 which has lever and lock together. Will update by next week.
200 bucks sounds reasonable. Thats about the cost of the cable, plus the lever perhaps. We still need to check out on the lever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks