Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 18:12   #106

this is the best i could do
the first pic is the electronic door lock which can be bought at any car accessories store

the positive wire was connected of the lock was wired through to the front of the button where i was connected to the battery (direct current from the fuse box) the negative form the switch was connected to the ground and the same can be seen in the last image where the negative from the door lock to the ground hence the circuit complete

a simple GI wire connects the electronic lock to the boot lock, pics are not that great but hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-p1070062.jpg  

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-p1070079.jpg  

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-p1070072.jpg  

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-p1070061.jpg  

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-untitled1.jpg  

Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-p1070076.jpg  

Old 10th September 2010, 18:13   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I think the electronic Switch being referred to is common now for most of the cars today.

When I installed the Remote Boot opener for the WagonR, it required changing the lock Assembly as well as the latch.

In 2009, The lock that I purchased did not have any electric/electronic part inside it but just a week back when we got the same lock for a DIY for one of my friends, it had a cable hanging out with a connector that would fit the connector of the door unlocking mechanism.

I did not have to wonder what a wire was doing with the lock.

For a test, I disconnected one of the door lock cable and connected this lock and tried to lock/unlock the car using the remote and could see the striker move back and forth.

So, essentially, when you operate the remote, It also opens/unlocks the boot.

What we need to do now is extend a wire from the remote lock system all the way to the boot lock to accomplish this completely.

For me, the lock costed around 260/-.

@Fordmanchau, I got these cable and lever couriered from Rajkot through my Bro In law who owns a Automobile garage and as Gujarat loves Diesel and hence Tata, I was sure he would help.

Finding the cable wasn't that a big deal but the lever was a problem.

To be honest, I troubled him on this one occasion but if you need information on the part numbers, MX6 should help as I too haven't seen the parts myself as it reached him directly.
Old 11th September 2010, 13:17   #108
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Mankamble. Does this mean that everytime you unlock your car, your boot opens as well? That is a small niggle then as you need to keep closing the boot after unlocking your car. Nevertheless, it's a good DIY that you've done.

@ParagSachania. I didn't get any part numbers in the courier. It was just the part names if I remember correctly. I shall dig out the enclosed paper (which I've misplaced) to see whether it actually had number there. Sorry. I'd kept it safe and have now forgotten where I hid it. This is a game I play on a regular basis with myself trying to hide things from my daughter.
Old 11th September 2010, 13:39   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mankamble, I am a little confused with the way you have done things. Does your setup extend the remote locking to the boot ? Is it now a part of the central locking, or have you been able to setup an electrically operated remote boot opener ? What exactly does it do ?

Our original DIY here was to be able to OPEN the boot while still sitting inside the car. We are trying to avoid having to switch off the car and then use the car keys to open the boot.

@MX6, good to see the lever. I havent been able to go searching for the parts, and you have provided the last part of this setup.
Old 12th September 2010, 19:21   #110

No the lock is not part of the central locking, the boot does not open when the car is unlocked

the connections are made independent of any central locking directly to the switch. the boot is opened when the button near the gearshift ?(shown in the picture) is pressed
Old 12th September 2010, 19:36   #111
BHPian

@condor,
What i understood is mankamble used a spare central locking solenoid to pull the boot latch electrically via the push button .And i'm sure it is an independent circuit.
I also had this idea but refrained from doing so as it may hamper the warranty part ,so still running with indigo cable
Old 13th September 2010, 10:07   #112

yes the fact that the accessory is not viable for new cars, mine is about 7 yrs old and i could not find the perfect liver to install the cable. in fact getting the liver is not quite easy hence the best option was left to go electric
Old 3rd April 2015, 15:19   #113

Re: Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankamble View Post
yes the fact that the accessory is not viable for new cars, mine is about 7 yrs old and i could not find the perfect liver to install the cable. in fact getting the liver is not quite easy hence the best option was left to go electric
Sorry for bumping on the old thread. I am looking at installing remote(electric) boot on Zest. Can anyone please help?
Old 3rd April 2015, 16:04   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdriver View Post
Sorry for bumping on the old thread. I am looking at installing remote(electric) boot on Zest. Can anyone please help?
Hello Youngdriver, It is very much possible to install an Electric boot release is you could get hold of a boot release actuator from a Skoda or Cielo car. But you will have to lay an extra wire & switch somewhere in your dashboard which all would attract reasons to void your warranty. Give this plan a second thought.
Old 3rd April 2015, 16:14   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hello Youngdriver, It is very much possible to install an Electric boot release is you could get hold of a boot release actuator from a Skoda or Cielo car. But you will have to lay an extra wire & switch somewhere in your dashboard which all would attract reasons to void your warranty. Give this plan a second thought.
Thanks ilangop. Is there a way that I can get it to work without hampering the warranty?

What I am basically looking for, is a remote open with button on the remote(instead of dashboard).

Sorry, I am a noob to DIY.
Old 3rd April 2015, 17:20   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way that I can get it to work without hampering the warranty?
Not sure about this part

Quote:
What I am basically looking for, is a remote open with button on the remote(instead of dashboard).
Well, try this. Get a new or a used central lock door actuator from a spare parts / car décor shop. You can easily access the lever mechanism near the driver seat. Unscrew the lever assembly and remove the boot release cable from the lever. Connect this end of boot release cable with the actuator and power the actuator directly (Take the help of a friend / sibling). If you are sure about the capacity of this motor to open the trunk lid, look for a way to bolt the actuator somewhere under the front seat or near the lever itself. You can hide it under the carpet too.

As the Zest key remote doesn't have a spare button or function you will have to buy a motorcycle central lock kit. You may use the self-start button of this new remote to open the trunk lid with the actuator. Hope this helps.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 17:58   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Not sure about this part

Well, try this. Get a new or a used central lock door actuator from a spare parts / car décor shop. You can easily access the lever mechanism near the driver seat. Unscrew the lever assembly and remove the boot release cable from the lever. Connect this end of boot release cable with the actuator and power the actuator directly (Take the help of a friend / sibling). If you are sure about the capacity of this motor to open the trunk lid, look for a way to bolt the actuator somewhere under the front seat or near the lever itself. You can hide it under the carpet too.

As the Zest key remote doesn't have a spare button or function you will have to buy a motorcycle central lock kit. You may use the self-start button of this new remote to open the trunk lid with the actuator. Hope this helps.
Thanks ilangop. I definitely want to try this. I am going to service centre tomorrow, I will see if I can befriend someone at the TASS so that he can help me without hampering the warranty

Considering my expertise in this arena, this looks like an uphill task.
Old 3rd April 2015, 18:52   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
youngdriver : I am looking at installing remote(electric) boot on Zest. Can anyone please help?
@Youngdriver, pls note the points mentioned by Ilango. He is well versed with such things, and his inputs would be very helpful.

Along with that, one point I would suggest to anyone who wants to try a motorised unit is: Pls note the shape / interface of the pulling mechanism (between the lock and the motor), before you buy the motor. Some may not be compatible. You could open the locking unit first, check it (take a pic also ) before you go hunting for the motor / pulling mechanism.

Tata parts are normally not as expensive as some Ford parts. Why dont you go for an official work at TASS ?

IIRC, Maruti's units may not be compatible - But Please Check again !
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:40   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Pretty much possible with an external remote control module (like ilango mentioned)
Quote:
I will see if I can befriend someone at the TASS so that he can help me without hampering the warranty
I hope people at TASS won't help at this modification. Get in touch with some outside garage / car decors who could do this job without splicing any wires (to power the actuator and ECU, power can be tapped from the fuse box)
OR
Best possible solution is get hold of a friend who is interested in DIY and little knowledge about this stuff.

EDIT: Just noticed your location. I can help you out if you prefer DIY solution.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 3rd April 2015 at 20:43.
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:56   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

EDIT: Just noticed your location. I can help you out if you prefer DIY solution.
Thanks Condor and Mr.Boss.@Mr.Boss - thank you so much. Sometimes, words make you feel really good and yours made my day - a good Friday. Can you please share your number? As I'm a newbie, I don't think I would be able to pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks