Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 08:27   #91
BHPian

This is indeed a very helpful and important thread for all Ford Ikon owners. Remote boot lid, which ideally should be factory fitted, is being sold out at an MRP of 6k.

Now at 500Rs anybody would want to DIY.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:38   #92
Team-BHP Support

Apparently, there was an SMS which was being sent by some of the dealers that the boot release is now available at a reduced price of 4.5k. It still is highly overpriced!

@Funkydude : It doesnt cost 500 bucks to do this mod. The costs have already been explained on the thread.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:21   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Benbsb29, I don't know about the significance of this thread, and have not gone through it, but am merely a messenger. Two viewers in the past week have viewed your thread and expressed their thanks through the "contact us" form. One specifically mentioned that he'd like to see you thanked on this thread itself. So here goes : Thanks from Vijay Parthe and Shabbir Khan.
@GTO : Thanks a lot for passing on the feedback from the people who have benefitted from this thread. Due credit once again to the person behind the idea, namely Condor.

Hope this thread reaches out to a lot more people who would greatly benefit from this idea, and the cost effectiveness it provides.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:20   #94
BANNED

guys, isnt there any way to get a pull-able lever fixed. the cable alone would look bad.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:40   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
guys, isnt there any way to get a pull-able lever fixed. the cable alone would look bad.
Considering the effectiveness of the solution, is the looks so much of a botheration? Tie a small wire around the end of the cable, and pulling that to release the lock is so easy.

Also, since its just a cable, its easy to tuck it away beneath the plastic moulding beside the door.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:29   #96
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I've got the release cable of Indigo CS and the lever of Maruti 1000. All thanks to Paragsachania who helped procure the same.
I'm going to try out the DIY this weekend.
I might have to aproach some local mechanic for fixing the lever on to the body. Will keep you people posted.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:24   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

@MX6, all the best. Meanwhile, pls check if the lever end of the cable fits into the lever. (just to make sure).

This DIY is so useful. Couldnt help but smiiile yesterday when the security guard at office came to the driver's door and asked for the key to open the boot. And I only had to pull the cable
Old 9th September 2010, 21:16   #98
MX6
Senior - BHPian

First thanks to benbsb for this amazing DIY.
And no words are sufficient to express my gratitude to Paragsachania for helping procure the cable (indigo cs) and the lever (Maruti esteem).

The cable and lever were like made for each other. A perfect fit! (Yes, condor, that's the first I did when the courier reached me - check the fit).

The DIY was beautifully explained and I just took my car to my mechanic and told him what to do. He was amazed at this. It took him 2 mins to insert the boot release cable in the extra groove in the lock and screw it back in. No marks were made as the dirt around the lock was good enough!
It took him 2 hours to remove the seats, carpet, panels and conceal the cable completely, vaccuum and remove all the rubbish under the carpet / panels / seat and put them all back.
It took him another 5 mins to bang a couple of holes in the side near the driver's seat and screw the lever in.

Here are some pics I took during the whole operation.

The driver's seat is outside. Time to change the upholstery I guess.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00113.jpg

Below the driver's seat.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00114.jpg

Lever in place. The plastic panel removed and the carpet pulled up.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00116.jpg

Removed the side panel exposing the wiring on the floor that goes in to the boot and the seatbelt on the side. Cable will go along, but below the carpet.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00118.jpg

Cable inserted below the carpet, exposed part will again go below the carpet and the side plastic panel again.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00119.jpg

Rear seat back rest removed - Cable going in through the opening in the body and not along with the electrical wires, which go below.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00121.jpg

Exposed part of cable tucked in below the plastic panel.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00122.jpg

Inside the boot view. Side carpets removed.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00123.jpg

Cable being inserted through the slot in the body to go along the other cable coming from the lock.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00124.jpg

Lock dismantled and cable inserted in the spare groove.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00125.jpg

Over in a jiffy. Lock goes back in position.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00126.jpg

Holes ready to be bored on the body for fixing the lever. Only this much is exposed as of now, with every thing else unde the carpet.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00129.jpg

Another view from inside the boot. All concealed now.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00130.jpg

Hole number one. Punched with a punch and hammer. Two blows is all it took.
Name:  DSC00132.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  207.5 KB

Screws to hold the lever in place.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00134.jpg

Lever fixed with help of two screws. Now starts the cleaning and refitting of all panels.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00135.jpg

Plastic panel covering wires is back in place. That's all of the lever that's exposed.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00136.jpg

Top view of the exposed part of the lever.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00137.jpg

All plastic panels back in place. Absolutely no trace of the cable.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00138.jpg

Removed the base of the back seat as well so got all the much vaccuumed from there.
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-dsc00139.jpg

Got the seats fitted back after vaccuming otherwise inaccessible areas!

It now works like a charm.

Thanks again paragsachania for getting me the parts. Now the mechanic is thrilled about learning something new thanks to T-BHP!

Last edited by MX6 : 9th September 2010 at 21:19.
MX6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2010, 21:42   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
..... Paragsachania for helping procure the cable (indigo cs) and the lever (Maruti esteem).

Thanks again paragsachania for getting me the parts. Now the mechanic is thrilled about learning something new thanks to T-BHP!
MS, You are welcome and It was my pleasure that I could help you.

So finally you got the remote boot release done for your Ikon!
In a way it was good we met while I was in Pune and you shared the difficulty is getting the rights parts and I was very sure that I could help as much.

I think, this is the thread which helped others including me to carry out the DIY for remote boot opener even for other cars since the mechanism was explained so well by benbsb.

Also, the Photos are good enough even from your mobile camera.

Enjoy many more of your drives and office and other commute without passing the key to the security guard!
Old 10th September 2010, 00:01   #100
Senior - BHPian

@MX6 , damn neat job with the fixing of the lever. I am so tempted to fix a boot release system, but had not seen anybody putting the lever too. Now that you have done it, I think i will go for it too.
Can you share the costs of the parts and the source from where you sourced the lever and cable.
@parag- can you also guide me how to get the lever for the same job. Will try going to the Maruti spare part shop and get it. But is there anyway we can order online or something.

Manish.
Old 10th September 2010, 14:22   #101

I have had this done by my own but with a electronic switch, the advantage is that you dont need the liver and the switch can be bought off the ford spares

for the automatic release i used the electronic door lock (usually the auto door lock) which i purchased form the accessories store (was lucky to get one spare for my boot for Rs 250/-)

the installation was fairly simple and i could do this just in a couple of hrs i will post pics if you guys need
Old 10th September 2010, 14:33   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankamble View Post
the installation was fairly simple and i could do this just in a couple of hrs i will post pics if you guys need
mankamble, please do post the pics if you have it.
Also, let me know if you know of any shop which can do this. Or if you can help me with this , as you seem to be in Secunderabad. But I would like to see the pics . I want to see where you have put the switch. Does it look good and clean ?
Old 10th September 2010, 14:58   #103

sure. ill post it today, will have to unscrew the unit but its worth it
Old 10th September 2010, 15:53   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankamble View Post
sure. ill post it today, will have to unscrew the unit but its worth it
No No, don't take the trouble of unscrewing the full unit. if you can just post the pics of where you have installed the unit and where the swtich is placed. i.e on dash, or near the gear lever or wherever you have placed it. Need to see if the whole thing will look good with the set up.
Old 10th September 2010, 16:09   #105
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Fordmanchau. Check with experts before fiddling with anything electronic/ electrical in the car. Off late I read a lot about fires in the car and the insurance washing off their hands stating that unauthorised electrical/ electronic modifications have been done. Further if your vehicle is still in warranty period, my suggestion is not to tamper with any of the electronic/ electrical stuff yourself.

May be some experts can comment on this. Most of the nano fires catching fire are attributed to electrical/ electronic accessories which are not fitted by authorised people.

@mankamble. It's great you managed to source for 250 bucks. Where exactly did you find it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks