Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 20:35   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, guys.
Feels good to have got done something as useful as this.
Quote:
Technocrat : Hmm How I wish my Alto had this .. Now if only some one does this DIY in Alto.
aka_iitd : But in Getz the key goes to the lever itself.
Let me compare with Sx4 which has lever and lock together.
Open the locking mechanisms, see how is it - esp the type of cable that can be used. Check for boot release cable from your respective manufacturers - they are the logical bet. If parts not available, then try other makes.

If you dont know where to get the parts, ask your dealer if they have a parts outlet. If they dont have one, they can direct you to orignal parts outlets.
Quote:
badboyscad : That seems like some very serious DIY process.
Yes, seriously simple & cost-effective !

Quote:
aka_iitd : benbsb is lever mechanism is not available in accessories shop like TATA etc from where you procured the cable wire.
Lever units are often double lever ones. Single lever units we have seen are for the Sumo & Wagon-R. Apparantly a not regularly used part, so no stock they said. MASS dealers did not do counter sales. And the MGP outlet did not have the Wagon-R release lever.

The search is on. First try will be the Sumo lever (pictured in the first post by Benny. I have not been able to check what type of levers the other cars have - like the Swift etc, since the levers mechanisms are hidden.

Quote:
Jaggu : Try sourcing the cable and the button thingie that comes on the dash from Ford A.S.S and then you can make it OE fitment,
benbsb29 : To be frank, i dont know how the OEM fitemtn looks like.
The Ford OE boot release accessory is a motorized unit. That;s why it costs that much. The button thingie is an electrical switch, and cant be used with this set-up.

Ford - Ikon Accessories
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-ikonbrkit.jpg

Quote:
ntomer : Err... why do you need it? ... I can open the boot without key from outside itself.
benbsb29 : If there was a handle which could be used when unlocked, this need wouldnt arise. The lack of it was the reason one needed to tur off the ignition, and then use the same key to open the boot.
But if you were sitting inside the car with your engine running and need to open the boot -- Or, if someone with you wants to access the boot : Will you then switch off the ignition and take the key to the boot to open it ?

This set-up is very useful, everyday, when we drive in to work and the security stop us at the gate to check the boot of the car. Saves me time & everyone else behind me too, when I can open the boot without having to switch off the engine & hand the key to the security person.

Quote:
kpzen : PS: Are there any holes behind the number plates in Ikon? or is it just normal flat sheet metal?
Quote:
benbsb29 : Prajesh, i dont remember since i havent removed the number plate, but i believe there arent any holes. Why?
@KP, those are the screw-holes (mount-points) where you mount the rear licence plate.

Quote:
benbsb29 : On the Ikon, the fuel cap is a seperate mechanism which is coupled to the central locking system of the car. It can be opened only when the door locks are open. The boot release is seperate from this arrangement.
The fuel cap lock in the Ikon is linked to the central locking mechanism. The fuel tank cover is a flap which with a hook. When central locking engages, a lever slides into this hook to lock the fuel tank cover (flap).

In the Ikon, the boot release & the fuel tank cover are two separate and different mechanisms.

Quote:
benbsb29 : The honours to Condor, who seems to be media-shy, as of now.
BAU, actually. Busy(iness) As Usual.

If it wasnt for Benny, this thread would have taken much more time. Apart from actually documenting the thread, he has been pushing me to get this out. And thanks to Benny also for the encouragement that he did to make me try the thoughts I had & translate them into this easy DIY.

Left to Benny, this thread would have been up a week earlier. Left to me, it would have taken atleast another week !

Quote:
narayan : it would be good if you can extend this cable all the way to the front and bring it out via the dash board ...
Would be a nice retro-touch. And the Indigo cable is long enough to make this possible I think. Will need to search for a suitable mounting mechanism, if you want to do it that way.

And the one tool that is actually required for this :
Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up-screwdriver.jpg

Will keep you posted with the second part of this - the lever.

Last edited by condor : 14th January 2009 at 20:37.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:58   #47
Team-BHP Support

Parwath, about time you provided your inputs on the thread!

@Prajesh : Condor has already answered, but i had also checked today and realised that there are a couple of holes behind the number plates. As already mentioned, these are where the number plate is mounted and held by screws.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Benny, blooooody awesome it is. Lovely thought from condor. Totally professional
Old 27th January 2009, 15:41   #49
BHPian

Restarting the thread again
I tried to study the Boot release lock of Getz and found little different behaviour. It needs to be opened and closed with lock only . unlike others it does not close when we release it with some distance. Boot guru's any idea how to tackle this
Old 27th January 2009, 15:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Restarting the thread again
I tried to study the Boot release lock of Getz and found little different behaviour. It needs to be opened and closed with lock only . unlike others it does not close when we release it with some distance. Boot guru's any idea how to tackle this
Some models of remote locking in Getz Prime (fitted as an optional by the dealer) unlock the boot when the rest of the doors are unlocked. So, when such a car 'remote unlocked' the boot too gets unlocked and in order to open it, just the release button needs to be pressed. Rest of the procedure would be common as in other cars.

Best Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 27th January 2009, 15:54   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

@aka_iitd, can you post pics of the lock unit - fixed to body, and after opening the unit from it's mount point. PM me with the details if reqd, so we can chk it & then share the setup with others.

Also, where do you work / live ?
Old 27th January 2009, 15:58   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Some models of remote locking in Getz Prime (fitted as an optional by the dealer) unlock the boot when the rest of the doors are unlocked. So, when such a car 'remote unlocked' the boot too gets unlocked and in order to open it, just the release button needs to be pressed. Rest of the procedure would be common as in other cars.

Best Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Adheesh, I am looking for an option to unlock the boot without unlocking the doors/removal of keys etc. Generally locking is done if you release the boot from a distance of 1 feet or so. My remote does not have the function as explained by you

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@aka_iitd, can you post pics of the lock unit - fixed to body, and after opening the unit from it's mount point. PM me with the details if reqd, so we can chk it & then share the setup with others.

Also, where do you work / live ?
Sure i will post in a day or so as I have not unlocked the unit from the mount point as I was confused that with if we have a cable to open then I should have another cable to close it It could be the reason why Getz don't have such lever. Rest deatils I have PMed you.

Last edited by aka_iitd : 27th January 2009 at 16:04.
Old 27th January 2009, 16:01   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I tried to study the Boot release lock of Getz and found little different behaviour. It needs to be opened and closed with lock only . unlike others it does not close when we release it with some distance.
Is this the case with just the lock on your Getz, or all of them?
How does it get locked normally, then?
Old 27th January 2009, 16:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Is this the case with just the lock on your Getz, or all of them?
How does it get locked normally, then?
Getz has central locking for all doors but not for Boot. I need to open and close it with keys. Yes if the car is locked and you try to open the boot it raise alarm as it is fitted with remote locking. But remote locking does not work on Boot just gives alarm. Remote was provided free by dealer so it has minimal features though it is autocop
Old 27th January 2009, 16:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work. Though I cannot understand what kinda lever are you looking for now. What I understand is that now you need one to pull up to release the boot lock from your sitting position on the front seat. Am I correct? If yes then why dont you try the Indigo part as well.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:19   #56
BHPian

Benny ,any progress so far ?
Old 13th March 2009, 10:35   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
wanderernomad : If yes then why dont you try the Indigo part as well.
The need is for a lever, and the Indigo's lever is what we are looking for. This is not a regularly replaced part, and hence the difficulty in getting it. Have placed an order through my TASS, and will get it soon (was not readily available with the TASS dealers in BLR.

The cable has built-in connectors at both ends. So the cable receptacle on the lock end and on the lever end must both match. Maruti's cables have a different connector end that will not match the Ikon's lock side - and so neither cable or lever can be used.

@Bullboy, progress with ?
Old 13th March 2009, 11:38   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Bullboy, progress with ?
Parwath, I suppose he was referring to the lever.
Between, where would the lever be mounted? Decided on that?
Old 13th March 2009, 12:22   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : .. where would the lever be mounted? Decided on that?
Yes, found a spot on the floor, near the door corner. Will need a small bracket - but workable.
Old 13th March 2009, 12:26   #60
BHPian

I.N.G.E.N.U.I.T.Y at its very best. hats of to you guys for thinking out of the box. Foremost for thinking itself. Good work ben and condor.

May your tribe increase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks