Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 12:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Tail lamp - DIY

thanks @vnabhi.

Touching almost 51k on the odo now. RHS brake lamp failed for the first time in eight years. Time for another DIY- saved at least 100/- bucks by avoiding a visit to the MASS.

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-taillight1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-taillight2.jpg

It took me 10 minutes to R&R the tail light assembly, but, took half a day to procure one 5/21w bulb. Went to "My Car" MASS at Wakad- claimed bulb is not in stock. Such a fast moving spare not in stock !! Hard to believe- probably he was not keen to do counter sale . Finally, bought a pair from adjacent BuB Tata Workshop (Safari connection) for Rs. 26/-. Who says MASS are better?

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 16th May 2010 at 13:10. Reason: combine replies
Old 21st June 2010, 10:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Spare tyre failure- steel mesh and rubber disintegrated

Why has the tyre broken-up like this?

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-tyrefail2.jpg
Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-tyrefail.jpg

This JK 145x70R13 tyre came as OE on my WagonR about eight years ago. After running some 30 thousand kilometers, I switched to (current) a set of four Michelin XM1 and this tyre was kept as spare. Yesterday after almost a year or so I looked at it and this was the state . Surprisingly the tube is still intact and the air (retained) pressure felt normal too.

Luckily, my current set never gave me any problem on the road, otherwise, it could have been a big mess. Time for a new spare tyre.

-BJ
Old 21st June 2010, 11:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Why has the tyre broken-up like this?

Attachment 371930
Attachment 371929
Tread separation.

I don't know as to what causes it, maybe our tyre experts can tell you that.

But do take a look at point no 4 in this link How to Avoid Tire Tread Separation | eHow.com I suppose your tyres are 6 years old too. But there is no hard rule that says all 6 year and old tyres should face the same fate. But anyway point no 4 in that link and your case is interesting.

If this happened to me, I would now be wary of other tyres on the car if they're of the same age and batch.

Tire Defects - Tire Tread Separation and Rollovers
Old 21st June 2010, 13:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

It is clearly a case of tyre tread separation as pointed out by Sankar. Now that you've posted this, I need to check my spare too---it is the OE Bridgestone that came with the car nearly 9 years ago.

I changed to BridgeStone Tubeless in 2008, but retained the best of the OE tyres as the stepney.
Old 27th June 2010, 08:19   #35
BHPian

Tread separation on a tyre that has been lying unused in the boot? How? I suspect that the tyre has been replaced without bj96's knowledge by unscrupulous ASC. This does happen sometimes, and the owners rarely check the spare on delivery. Do it on 4 cars and you've got a full set!

BTW I love the original WagonR. Maruti always introduces new models with all bells and whistles, and by the first refresh, everything except bare essentials are chucked out. I just don't understand why manufacturers offer rear defogger on top models but not rear wash/wipe which is infinitely more usable. Rear windscreen gets much more dirtier than the front.

Last edited by vivekgk : 27th June 2010 at 08:23.
Old 27th June 2010, 08:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Tread separation on a tyre that has been lying unused in the boot? How? I suspect that the tyre has been replaced without bj96's knowledge by unscrupulous ASC...
Yes Vivekgk, this thought did cross my mind. However, I checked the manufacturing date and make of the tyre- both tallied. It will be too much of a coincidence, if some MASS replaces with same make and similar manufacturing date.

I think it is a manufacturing defect, coupled with natural aging (8 years old) and (may be) spare was over inflated causing constant stress?

Anyways, I have replaced the spare w/ a new Bridgestone 145/70 Turanza (tubeless). Planning to replace the working set too w/ same make after few 1000s kms more.

Yes I do agree, 2nd gen WagonR, circa, 2002 looks best. Probably, all my ride needs to make her hip is a pair of roof rails and rear defogger.

-BJ
Old 11th August 2010, 17:07   #37
BHPian

You've inspired me!

I procured and fitted the tail lamp that got broken some time back and I had done some jugad by applying a lot of transparent tape over the broken part.

Sad thing: it didnt want to last the monsoons, so I had to spend 850 INR on the full assembly.

The OEM is Minda. Also did some cleaning behind the assembly when I found it to be very dirty.
I got it from the accessories shop "Baby Enterprises" at Shyambazar, Kolkata. They claim to keep all such electricals.

Here are the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-picture-007-small.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-picture-008-small.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-picture-009-small.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-picture-010-small.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-picture-011-small.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2010, 10:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Looking for suggestions from experts.

Following things required on my WagonR (done 54k kms odo now):

1) Tire change (all four)
2) Wheel alignment
3) Suspension check-up/bush change (most likely needed)
4) Brake calipers greasing

While a good tyre shop can do first two I have to take it to a workshop for the latter items.

What should be done first- tyre change/alignment or suspension/brake jobs? I don't need any regular servicing job for ~3000 kms more but keen to change tires (tread depth has reduced considerably).

tia,

-BJ
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having gone through most of the WagonR's tyre upgrade/choice, I see most recommendation on 155/65 R13. Personally, after switching over from existing 155/65 R13 to 155/70 R13, I hate the handling of my car. I wish I'd 155/65. There're recommendation for Michelin XM1 Engery 155/65 R13. Also see Nikhil's say on Continental tyres here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-upgraded.html

Quote:
What should be done first- tyre change/alignment or suspension/brake jobs? I don't need any regular servicing job for ~3000 kms more but keen to change tires (tread depth has reduced considerably).
IMO, first, change the tires, followed by suspension work & brake jobs & then finally go for balancing & alignment work.
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for reply aarge.

My current set is Michelin 155/65 XM1. It wore out too fast (~23k kms), hence, will not go for Michelin. My experience with these tires is already posted in another thread. I'm going back to stock 145/70R13 (my Vxi came with this size) and have zeroed on Bridgestone Turanza (145/70) tubeless.

Regarding the wheel alignment, I thought, could bargain (for free) with tire dealer if I buy 4 new tires from him together, hence, wanted to club with tire change.

-BJ
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm going back to stock 145/70R13 (my Vxi came with this size) and have zeroed on Bridgestone Turanza (145/70) tubeless.
Excuse me; I'm under the impression that VXi came with 155/65 R13; atleast my 2nd gen VXi had it when I bought & most of them agree to it. Are you having the 1st gen WagonR? Could you help me understand pls?

Quote:
Regarding the wheel alignment, I thought, could bargain (for free) with tire dealer if I buy 4 new tires from him together, hence, wanted to club with tire change.
Bargain? I'm under the impression that the alignment check is done free of cost for you when you buy the tires. Atleast that's what I experienced when I changed my 4 tires last time. My point is, don't bargain, just demand for it. In addition, check, if he has wheel balancing provision also, if he has that, go for it too.

IMO, if you've settled for the make & model of the tires, all you need to find out is a tyre dealer who supplies the tires, does a free balancing & alignment for you.
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Excuse me; I'm under the impression that VXi came with 155/65 R13; atleast my 2nd gen VXi had it when I bought & most of them agree to it. Are you having the 1st gen WagonR? Could you help me understand pls?
Yes mine is Type-I (July 2002) VXi. It has 145/70R13 stock. I think, somewhere in late 2003 or 2004 (type-2 models) they started shipping VXi with wider tires, probably, to challenge Santro which had wider tires all the way.

FYI- snippet of my owner manual PDF attached below, for ready ref.

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-wagontirespecs.jpg

-BJ
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Looking for suggestions from experts.

Following things required on my WagonR (done 54k kms odo now):

2) Wheel alignment
3) Suspension check-up/bush change (most likely needed)
4) Brake calipers greasing

While a good tyre shop can do first two I have to take it to a workshop for the latter items.

tia,

-BJ
Get your No.3 and No.4 job done first then No.1 job and at last No.2
Suspension check and bush change can disturb the alignment and tyre change will surely disturb by a lot of degree, so keep alignment work for last. You should also get rims bent removed and wheels balanced at the tyre shop, it makes a lot of difference. There is a thread check mark on tyre, look for it and if thread has reached that point then its time for tyre change.
Old 28th November 2010, 16:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Achieved in 100months, today. All stock, except 4-tires and a renewed clutch (conned by MASS). Dependable as always and still going strong .

Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting-wagonr55kodo.jpg
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2010, 20:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

How to dislodge rear brake drums?

Need some help guys.

Lately, post rains, the rear LHS drum has been making some weird noise while stopping. The handbrake would stick to the drums early morning after overnight parking. The sound has vanished now but, I guess the drums have gathered rust and dirt and some cleaning would be needed.

After watching few videos and surfing the forums- decided a DIY for this. Jacked up, removed 4 nuts and removed the wheel. Also removed the bearing cap (cup) and gently hammered the drum. But it would not budge. Ensured handbrake is off. Drum seems to rotate free, but it is not coming off the axle. What am I missing? Does it need just the brute hammering or their any other gentle trick to this?

I am at about 57k kms right now. Probably, drums have never been taken off so far in ~nine years? My driving style is very civil. No fast start or screeching stops for me. I usually anticipate traffic well. I'm still at OEM discs up front, hence, do not suspect a worn out rear brakes.

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 25th December 2010 at 21:03. Reason: updated the brake condition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks