Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 23:27   #226
BHPian

Re: How to avoid road rage

Mumbai Road Rage: NRI has skull fracture after being hit with baseball bat.

Saw this just now - Mumbai road rage: NRI has skull fracture after being hit with baseball bat

Educated people acting like thugs on roads, that too under the influence. Carrying something to defend self from assaults/robbery/road-rage is normal, but using it to actually assault somebody because of a dent or some damage to a car ? One can understand the frustration, but at the end of the day its not worth taking a life.

Last edited by Xryder : 8th June 2012 at 23:31.
Old 8th June 2012, 23:43   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Saw this disturbing incident unfold in front of my eyes yesterday.

A car in front of me grazes a motorcyclist's rear wheel while overtaking. The biker loses his balance, but luckily recovers and straightens out. The car guy tries to drive further, I assume, since there was no damage.
Almost 9 years have passed since this incident.
But I have done something quite similar to the biker in question.

It was a Sunday morning. Around 11 Am or so.
I am riding my bike, without a care in the world. This zen coming from the other side of the road is not moving quite right.

I move to the extreme left of the road as I feel something will go wrong.
And it did.

The zen zig zagged across the road. Accelerated like crazy and came straight into my bike. I jumped off my bike and saved myself.

My bike took a hit and its crash guard broke. The car steered right and tried to get away.

I ran behind it.
There was a junction just a few meters away. A lot of people have now gathered around my bike and everyone is shouting at the car.

I got to the car and caught the driver by his collar and literally threw him out on the road.

That is when I notice that the rear seat had a young boy.

The driver was stinking of alcohol.
I did not hit him or slap him.

I made him sit on the corner of the road. While his car was pushed to the corner.

I felt very sorry for the boy and hence did not humiliate his drunken father.

But I did make him pay for my bike's damages.
bblost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 23:50   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is when I notice that the rear seat had a young boy.

The driver was stinking of alcohol.
I did not hit him or slap him.

I made him sit on the corner of the road. While his car was pushed to the corner.

I felt very sorry for the boy and hence did not humiliate his drunken father.

But I did make him pay for my bike's damages.
Given the state of lawlessness that prevails in our land, I would call your reaction sane and responsible. Good on you mate.
If only more people realized it. With greedy and rabid dogs for rulers, the country is filled with strays that mock the law.

Last edited by Xryder : 8th June 2012 at 23:52.
Old 9th June 2012, 00:35   #229
BHPian

Road rage is something that can arise out of pure misunderstandings too.

Take my case for example:
I few months ago, I was returning home on my daily route. But that day on a particular junction, the traffic hold up was crazy. So there was this local fruit vendor who volunteered to help clear up the traffic. Since my view of the road was blocked, I honked once to grab his attention and asked him through actions if there was some accident. Now God knows what he understood by that he came near my car and started banging against the window and began yelling. I opened the window only an inch so that I could talk to him but the yelling guy just wouldn't listen! In fact he started banging so hard, I was afraid my window would break! Luckily the traffic cleared up and I left the spot!
Old 9th June 2012, 12:00   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..............That is when I notice that the rear seat had a young boy........
Just wondering, what would you have done if the boy had not been there?

Cheers harit
Old 11th June 2012, 10:36   #231
Senior - BHPian

Another one in Gurgaon this time
Old 11th June 2012, 11:03   #232
BHPian

The attitude that prevails in our country and cities is 'let me go first'.or 'how can he overtake me, i have to be first'.
I have noticed this many times while driving.Even when the road ahead is empty, and the vehicle doesn't move inspite of honking and flashing your headlights.Then finally if you find a way to overtake, next thing you know is this guy suddenly speeds up to overtake you and take his first place position.Its really funny to see these people act like that.
Another instance is while driving when there is traffic ahead of me.I cant go any where.I cant overtake, but the guy behind me keeps honking.And then when he overtakes and cuts you suddenly gives you bad stares.
These incidents have not only happened with me but with other friends too.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:15   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
i'm sure he would have done the same thing even if the boy wasn't there. takes a lot of self control to overpower rage and as far as i know this guy, he got loads of it
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 12:21   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
I honestly don't know.
I have done a lot of stupid things. But been very lucky that something or the other stops me from doing something that is VERY stupid.

In my honest opinion, a violent reaction is the MOST stupid thing anyone can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i'm sure he would have done the same thing even if the boy wasn't there. takes a lot of self control to overpower rage and as far as i know this guy, he got loads of it
Thanks bro.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:57   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
The attitude that prevails in our country and cities is 'let me go first'.or 'how can he overtake me, i have to be first'.
Unfortunately it seems we are all wired that way. If not, then we get programmed that way either by people or by incidents. It is an instinct where we see people wanting to win at all costs. Everyone wants a bigger flat or more flats than their neighbour. Or a bigger car, or one in a higher segment. Why cant one just be happy wth what he has? It makes a difference of about half a minute per km by driving rash. Maybe less.
I dont think we are all that busy or really want to get to work/ home in such a rush all the while. Such behaviour only makes the real emergencies look bad. For example, someone injured or unwell being rushed to hospital in a private vehicle.

Quote:
In my honest opinion, a violent reaction is the MOST stupid thing anyone can do.
+1. walked away from a possible confrontation some time ago. I was mad at myself for doing that for a few minutes. Then the ego let go and I was happy with my decision.
Compared to interest of self, ego is totally dispensable. Translated from a local proverb (swaartha pudhey ahankaar kshudra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Is it just me noticing this, or too many people intervening in fights are getting killed these days? First in Bombay, now in Gurgaon.
In such cases, we cannot really blame passersby for ignoring fights and moving on
Old 11th June 2012, 14:37   #236
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I have noticed this many times while driving.
How is it possible that we can effortlessly (and happily) give up privileges at home & in our work place to accommodate the needs of others, put the interest of our families, friends, neighbors before our own in our day to day activities and YET be as apathetic, indifferent and careless we are when we are on the road? Its almost as if theres a mental switch. I mean its not like the social misfits, alocohol & drug abusers are the root cause of the problems related to traffic in India. Its the average Tom, Dileep and Hamids among us. I fail to understand this paradox. For sure our upbringing & our education system emphasizes the need to be competitive but why does this percolate into certain aspects of out behavior (we are the worst driving nation in the world) & not others (we are widely acknowledged, as a nation, to be one of the best hosts - across social levels) ?

Quote:
Absolutely - There are few situations where a violent reaction is the right answer. And even in that rare occasion there is always an option to not exercise the 'right' answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Unfortunately it seems we are all wired that way. If not, then we get programmed that way either by people or by incidents. It is an instinct where we see people wanting to win at all costs.
Strange but true. But unlike in the professional or academic streams where being competitive may lead to results, being competitive on the road does not really help us in any appreciable way. A few minutes of time - at best. The risks far outweigh the gain. But its as if we are oblivious to this fact in spite of very visual reminders (accidents) we see on the roads on a daily basis.
Zed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 15:48   #237
Senior - BHPian

Over the years, I have found a sure-shot way of avoiding road rage, in my office drive.
1. Start early, though this may not be always possible.
2. Avoid main roads and use small roads that have very minimal traffic. You may not be able to go in fifth gear always, but it sure cuts down road rage.
Old 11th June 2012, 17:01   #238
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I had a minor accident described in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/109249-accidents-india-pics-758.html#post2804122.

Now in that situation I could have indulged in fight and start beating them and vice versa. But considering the dark side of NCR it is better to move off from the scene as soon as possible.

We know our tempers are short and they become even shorter when the other party is at fault and start blaming the innocent one.

I am feeling very relaxed now that I kept my cool and except for verbal argument I drove off from the spot immediately. Had I been there for two minutes more things could have been worsen.

I know it is very easy to type here but actual implementation is very difficult (I experienced this yesterday).

Let's pray to god that he saves us from all sorts of troubles on road and make our journey safer every time we take our car/bike out.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th June 2012 at 17:04.
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 23:26   #239
BHPian

bblost/others
Hi
"In my honest opinion, a violent reaction is the MOST stupid thing anyone can do."
Fully agree.Unfortunatel it is the rush of blood or that momentary weakness which make people react the way they do.Also the power in their head.
How many single persons when confronted with say 4 men, in the other car will take them on?

Selfdrive
Hi
It may not be for keeping an appointment etc.More than that would be the feeling that by giving way they are showing their weakness.
A few years back read about laws on road rage prevalent in some countries.
Any idea?
High time with so many cases hitting the news we have something similar.
Regards
Old 27th June 2012, 14:25   #240
BHPian

Guys,

Let me tell you an incident that happened to me, while driving to work, to EC, in Bangalore.

I drive a Linea, BTW. I was on feeder road(one lane either direction , road), adjacent to Hosur road, when it happened.

There was a long queue of Vehicles at the intersection, people were cutting into the opposite lane, which was holding up the traffic, even further.

I made a mistake, at this point, lost patience, drove up alongside the main lane, seeing that there was sparse traffic coming from the opposite.

I happened to pass a Honda City, to my left, whose OVRM, my OWRM stuck, at 5 kmph. Mine got knocked into a semi closed position. I didn't think anything happened to his either.

Traffic was dense, and I went upto the intersection and stopped for the Light.

The crazed City driver, came yelling and waving his hands. He had a furious look on his face, and was cursing liberally in hyderabadi urdu/hindi.

You know what his beef was....Arrey ^&%&...Honda City ka Aina ko touch kiya, Thooo !
I and everyone around me had a incredulous look on our faces. He almost caught my shirt, putting his hand inside my car window.

I let him rant for a minute, and then politely explained that I did not know that any damage was done, besides it was not unheard of for ovrms to touch each other in dense traffic.

He started walking away at this point, muttering that I should have stopped to see how his poor OVRM was doing.

THe traffic cop was laughing at the whole situation, standing right there.

I did not know what to say, Just Drove away, thanking my starts, knowing , it could have been worse with this guy, imagine if there had been a actual accident.

Anyways, this is the closes brush to Road rage that I have faced in my life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks