Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 14:10   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to avoid road rage

MNC manager beaten up at DND toll plaza - Hindustan Times

Now the toll plaza guys say that he should have waited and complained to them. By putting life and limb at risk for his family while the goons were banging on the doors and windows?
and if the goons were banging on the car, how did the toll guys not notice it?

Is running away the only safe option left for guys moving about with womenfolk and children?
Old 18th August 2012, 20:07   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Is running away the only safe option left for guys moving about with womenfolk and children?
Yes. Better to have some unknown persons think of you as a coward than have your loved ones know you as dead.
Old 18th August 2012, 20:37   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Around NCR, you never know. Thank god they weren't carrying guns.. or least didn't use them.

Quote:
DND flyway officials claim there were no loopholes at their end, though the toll collector has confirmed the incident. "The victim panicked and fled the spot. If he would have alerted our control room or a guard, we would have taken immediate action," said Anwar Abassi, spokesperson, DND Flyway.
Pathetic excuse. If the toll collector confirmed the incident later, why didn't he alert the control room himself? Who in turn could have alerted a PCR?
Old 29th August 2012, 11:53   #244
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Today morning while commuting to work, I was trying to get into the 2nd lane from the rightmost so as not to block the people who would be turning right at the next signal. While I was attempting this, a guy in a Figo behind me got upset and honked a couple of times. I inched towards right again to reduce his discomfort. He squeezed past me and cut across in front of me aggressively. All this in a traffic that is moving at ~20kmph. I looked at the Figo and through his IRVM, the Figo guy gave me the finger.

I just gave a smile to him. He noticed that in his IRVM and shook his head in disgust.

I did not tailgate him nor put up the complete flash&honk show. Felt nice about not losing temper and control. I still have that smile on my face and I am pretty sure that the Figo guy is still fuming somewhere - raising his own blood-pressure and clogging his arteries. I wish that he finds peace soon.

Last edited by SDP : 29th August 2012 at 11:54.
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 14:31   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Today morning while commuting to work, I was trying to get into the 2nd lane from the rightmost so as not to block the people who would be turning right at the next signal
You outlined just one-side of the story. From your description above. I assume you decided to move to left lane while waiting at the signal?

If yes, then I feel its your fault and Figo guy getting upset with you is acceptable.

However, if you were moving lanes while in motion well in advance of the signal where you have to head straight or left then let the Figo guy rot in hell.

This classical move in traffic is very common and has two sides to the story :-

Story 1 : All commuters going straight should approach the signal in advance either in center lane or left lane. And, all commuters going left should approach the signal well in advance from left lane

Story 2 : All commuters turning right at signal should move to right most lane well in advance when approaching the signal.

Above is ideal way to approach the signal. But, a lot depends on circumstances and traffic conditions.

I cross such a signal (I go straight and there is no left turn) every single day and from habit i approach that signal with my left indicator ON almost 300 meters in advance and move to center and slowly move to left and most of the times, its always a smooth manevour and never had any issues.

But, i see many people who approach the same signal from left and sometimes cut across me from left and go to right. Sometimes it takes me by surprise and avoided minor collisions due to their nerdy moves.

Finally, its all about anticipation, usage of indicators and finally, respect for fellow road users.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th August 2012 at 14:32.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 15:37   #246
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You outlined just one-side of the story. From your description above. I assume you decided to move to left lane while waiting at the signal?

If yes, then I feel its your fault and Figo guy getting upset with you is acceptable.

However, if you were moving lanes while in motion well in advance of the signal where you have to head straight or left then let the Figo guy rot in hell.
Changing lanes while waiting at a signal or while waiting in a jam, is a sure-fire way to get abuses hurled at you . Completely pointless as well, unless the vehicle in front of you has a break-down. So, no, I was not doing that. My vehicle was very much in motion and my turn-indicator was on.

There is another interesting aspect to the "indicator-on" phenomenon in Mumbai.

Viewpoint #1 -> (After checking the feasibility of a lane-change,) when a driver indicates that he wants to change lane, as per my understanding, it is the "responsibility" of the driver in the next lane to slow down (yield) to enable the maneuver. I believe, its NOT a matter of "courtesy", but its a "rule".

Viewpoint #2 -> Just because someone has given a turn-indicator, does not give that person a "right" to make the lane-change. So if you are in the adjusant lane, you can ignore the indicator and in fact speed-up to block that move.

In Mumbai, I have seen most people believing in viewpoint #2.

Quote:
....This classical move in traffic is very common and has two sides to the story :-

Story 1 : All commuters going straight should approach the signal in advance either in center lane or left lane. And, all commuters going left should approach the signal well in advance from left lane

Story 2 : All commuters turning right at signal should move to right most lane well in advance when approaching the signal.

Above is ideal way to approach the signal. But, a lot depends on circumstances and traffic conditions.

Finally, its all about anticipation, usage of indicators and finally, respect for fellow road users.
This brings up another point. Are "right" lanes (or in general turn-lanes), "right only" lanes? In US, there is a clear distinction between the two. If it is NOT a "Right Only" lane, even traffic going straight can use it, even if it means temporarily blocking vehicles turning right while you wait for a streight-green signal.

Somehow, in Indian context, on ground "right" lane means "right only" lane and people honk like mad if someone waits on that lane for straight-green.

Any views?

PS: I have seen one or two places in Mumbai, where a right-only lane is clearly marked as "Right Only"

Last edited by SDP : 29th August 2012 at 15:55.
Old 29th August 2012, 16:07   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This brings up another point. Are "right" lanes (or in general turn-lanes), "right only" lanes? In US, there is a clear distinction between the two. If it is NOT a "Right Only" lane, even traffic going straight can use it, even if it means temporarily blocking vehicles turning right while you wait for a streight-green signal.
I am not really sure of the rule.
In terms of plain logic though, it should be ok to use the right lane to go straight if:
1. the straight and right signals change color at the same time.
2. there is nobody in the middle lane who decides to turn right, thereby blocking you and the rest of the traffic behind you.

Speaking of which is there a lane/ rule for u turns at all? There have been numerous instances where I am halfway into my u turn and some biker decides to turn right in the gap between my vehicle and the divider.

Edit: I know where I should take a u turn. But how can I stop people from taking a right turn from inside my intended U? It would save me some rage! Is there anyway I can indicate I am taking a U turn and not a right turn. I hope I am not asked to roll down my windows and draw a U sign with my hand!

^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th August 2012 at 16:24.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 16:17   #248
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Speaking of which is there a lane/ rule for u turns at all? There have been numerous instances where I am halfway into my u turn and some biker decides to turn right in the gap between my vehicle and the divider.
My understanding is that unless specifically prohibited (and indicated correspondingly by way of signage), in India, it is ok to take a U turn on right-turn signal.
Old 29th August 2012, 16:22   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Viewpoint #2 -> Just because someone has given a turn-indicator, does not give that person a "right" to make the lane-change. So if you are in the adjusant lane, you can ignore the indicator and in fact speed-up to block that move.
I agree absolutely that just by switching on your indicator doesnt mean you have the right. It merely "gives out" your intention and possible direction of your vehicle so other commuters can adjust their moves accordingly

You should change lanes only after making sure its safe to. There is never a hard and fast rule on Indian roads. The only rule that applies is make a decision only which your confident about and feel is safe.

Quote:
Somehow, in Indian context, on ground "right" lane means "right only" lane and people honk like mad if someone waits on that lane for straight-green. Any views?
Well, In US its alright but, not in India. All right lanes are generally used by people turning right/u-turn.

I absolutely sympathize with people who honk at people in front of them waiting to go straight will hogging the rightmost lane ( for instances where there is a right turn). If there is no right turn then its perfectly fine to occupy the right or left or center lane as after all the road is going only straight

Anyways, if half the people on road use 3/10th of their brains, our traffic situation would be atleast 76% better
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 16:59   #250
BHPian

I find that there is a lot of difference between rule and "convention". In many cases the rule goes out of the window (pun unintended ) when faced with what is the convention.

In most cases when I am at a signal and in the rightmost lane, it is obvious that the guy in the right lane is going to turn right. However, if he has his right indicator blinking it means he is going to take a right U turn.

Otherwise, IMHO it is best to roll down the window and indicate a right U turn. I find that if I use my hand signal, in most cases people respect that. Blinkers invariably do not get any respect, especially in Hyderabad.

- Krishnan
Old 29th August 2012, 17:58   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There have been numerous instances where I am halfway into my u turn and some biker decides to turn right in the gap between my vehicle and the divider.

Edit: I know where I should take a u turn. But how can I stop people from taking a right turn from inside my intended U? It would save me some rage! Is there anyway I can indicate I am taking a U turn and not a right turn. I hope I am not asked to roll down my windows and draw a U sign with my hand!

^^
IMO its best to take it slow and let the bike through. Its a daily happening for me. 4 wheelers behind can just honk, which I suppose in couple of years of car have developed a selective hearing disability for

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
IMHO it is best to roll down the window and indicate a right U turn. I find that if I use my hand signal, in most cases people respect that.
Am a little scared of putting my hand out for the risk of losing my hand . I would rather live with a few nicks. I usually am close to the divider without enough space for a bike to squeeze. Even then I always keep watching my right ORVM waiting for a U-turn for any cycle that are trying to squeeze.
Old 29th August 2012, 18:46   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree absolutely that just by switching on your indicator doesnt mean you have the right. It merely "gives out" your intention and possible direction of your vehicle so other commuters can adjust their moves accordingly

+1 to this, otherwise we would be practically legalizing zig zag driving to nose ahead at any cost, just by blinking indicators at will ! Unfortunately, zig zag driving happens many times anyways here in Bangalore, with a blaze of "my conscience is clear, don't tell me I did not alert you" kind of honking, lights flashing, indicators flashing, mostly by taxi guys and the Volvo buses, straight from a "Speed" sequel
Old 29th August 2012, 20:38   #253
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Viewpoint #1 -> (After checking the feasibility of a lane-change,) when a driver indicates that he wants to change lane, as per my understanding, it is the "responsibility" of the driver in the next lane to slow down (yield) to enable the maneuver. I believe, its NOT a matter of "courtesy", but its a "rule".

In Mumbai, I have seen most people believing in viewpoint #2.
Let me correct myself. What I wanted to say was - when people want to change the lane, they believe in viewpoint #1 and when others want to change the lane, the same people believe in viewpoint #2.

I was hinting at this duplicity, but wan't able to articulate it earlier.

Quote:
...This brings up another point. Are "right" lanes (or in general turn-lanes), "right only" lanes? In US, there is a clear distinction between the two. If it is NOT a "Right Only" lane, even traffic going straight can use it, even if it means temporarily blocking vehicles turning right while you wait for a streight-green signal.

Somehow, in Indian context, on ground "right" lane means "right only" lane and people honk like mad if someone waits on that lane for straight-green.
Let's put the "Right-lane Only" argument in the context of the duplicity mentioned above. You don't want to block the right lane (although its not Right-Only) and want to switch to the center lane. But in city traffic, there is never a 100 feet gap available for making a clean lane-switch. You put on the indicator anyways and try to switch. Others adopt the viewpoint #2 and block you from coming to the center lane. Then you are forced to stick to your lane and then at the signal, you end up blocking the vehicles behind you (contrary to your original intention). Its a catch-22!
Old 31st August 2012, 10:24   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning while commuting to work, I was trying to get into the 2nd lane from the rightmost so as not to block the people who would be turning right at the next signal. While I was attempting this, a guy in a Figo behind me got upset and honked a couple of times. I inched towards right again to reduce his discomfort. He squeezed past me and cut across in front of me aggressively. All this in a traffic that is moving at ~20kmph. I looked at the Figo and through his IRVM, the Figo guy gave me the finger.

I just gave a smile to him. He noticed that in his IRVM and shook his head in disgust.

I did not tailgate him nor put up the complete flash&honk show. Felt nice about not losing temper and control. I still have that smile on my face and I am pretty sure that the Figo guy is still fuming somewhere - raising his own blood-pressure and clogging his arteries. I wish that he finds peace soon.
Good job to keep your temper in control !

But the trouble is , nowadays there are too many motorists who would drive up the wrong lane and turn on the indicator and squeeze in jumping the queue...The Figo guy might have perceived you to be one of them.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 13:48   #255
BHPian

Incident which happened yest eve while returning from office

I work in MPEZ in tambaram and was returning to adyar. There is this signal in pallavaram where there is no u turn allowed and i was in the right lane waiting for the signal to turn green. There is this bike fellow who keeps on flashing and honking. So i roll down my window and ask him "Boss why are you honking? The signal is red. I cant move forward there is another car in front of me. Please wait" (exact words. I have no idea why i talked in english.).

The guys keeps on honking and i ignore him.

The signal turns green and the biker forces his way forward on my left hitting my orvm in the process. No issues. decide to adjust it in the next signal.

The next signal is also red and the biker stops in front of my car and gets down with his GF/wife and walks towards my side and bangs on the window

Me (Pised but did not show it out): What do you want?

Him : O**** u turn edukarthuku horn adicha periya b**** mathiri pesra (I wanted to take a u turn you f***** so i honked . for that you are talking like a @#$@%)

Me (Very pised but talking calmly) : The prev signal was a no u turn signal. I don care waht you think. please move the bike.

Him: i will not move. do what you can

At this point i get down from the car to talk some sense into him. I am 6feet2inches and biiiggg and can look pretty nasty with a beard.

The guy softens down a bit but stil shouting.
He then kicks my car.
My mind voice : you are dead my boy. No one kicks my car.

The biker then does something stupid. He gets the bangle from the woman accompanying him and clutches it tightly and swings at me.
He mises my body but makes a small tear on my shirt.
I am now in brute mode on.
I push him away.

at this point not a single vehicle is stopping.

By the time he manages to get up and steady himself i got my big adjustable wrench out of my car(I always keep it in my driver side door pocket) and just stand there holding it.
Am smiling now. i tell the guy "You sure you want to fight now?"
Guy is scared. starts to move away. he gets on to the bike.
I walk up to him and say "sorry boss. "
He is startled. He jus starts the bike and moves away.

After a few kms he comes near my window again . I roll it down and say "boss i spologised for scaring you. what now"
his reply was "I am sorry boss. it is completely my fault. BTW i just noticed your teamBHP sticker. Now i know why you follow road rules so religiously. And please dont take that wrench out again. It scared the s*** out of me. Dont scare others too. Am very sorry"

I was like
I do not know what to conclude from this incident!!
Anandv267 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks