Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety > Drive Safe

Old 3rd June 2018, 20:48   #241

Default Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Here I am posting 3 videos of my experience on Indian roads.

1. I was travelling from Mysore to Bengaluru on the day of the incident, (Please ignore dash cam date, This happened in April for sure) So when I was approaching an unmanned signal at Mandya, 1 biker just jumped in front of my car. You really need to be skilled to pull that stunt.

2. Goes best with the tagline "savdhani hati durghatna ghati". This happened near Salem,
As right lane was moving fast, I decided to change my lane, so I turned on my vehicle's right indicator and was looking in Rt ORVM for any vehicle.
Just about that, The trucker ahead of me decided to go off-road and slowed down.
Thanks to my co-driver who physically alerted me or would have kissed Octavia's bumper.

3.This you can say part 2 of "Savdhani Hati Durghatna Ghati".
Trucker in the wrong lane narrowly escaped hitting a parked car and oncoming biker.

bravo_romeo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 22:14   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had 2 near miss incidents:

1) Was returning home during the monsoon via Tulsi Pipe Road - it was raining heavily, and the road was not well lit. A scooterist to my front left fell (not sure why) and slid across the road towards me. Fortunately, I jammed the brake and avoided hitting him by a few feet.
2) This was truly odd. I was driving north along the King Circle flyover in broad daylight (around 830 am on a clear day). For those who are not familiar with this, the flyover ends just before a railway bridge leading to King Circle station, and one of the pillars of the railway bridge is located in line with the median between the two Northbound lanes of the flyover. I was in the right lane, and there was an Uber / Ola driver in a Ritz who was driving between the two lanes. Perhaps he drifted off the sleep, but he kept going along the median and swerved right at the last minute trying to avoid the concrete base of the pillar of the rail bridge. He failed to avoid this, and rammed into the base, and his car started to sway right as if it would topple. I was too close the him to stop, and for a second though his car would collapse on mine as I passed him. Fortunately, his car stabilised before crossing its CG, and swung back left, and there was enough space for me to avoid him and cross over.

Certainly see both of these as providential escapes from potentially messy situations
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 13:03   #243
BHPian

Had this near miss on a recent road trip of Vellore to Kodaikanal (somewhere before salem).
Thankfully I saw this pedestrian on the highway quite early and a loud honk alerted him. I didnt have to swerve much as he quickly moved back.
He continued to walk on the road as I watched him in the rearview mirror.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 14:44   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Here is my encounter
This has happened to me as well. I was driving on Mysore road on the right-most lane. Some guy decided to cross the road in pitch darkness. I noticed him only when I was right next to him. Luckily, he did not run in front of the car, but instead chose to wait in the middle lane.
ChiragM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 07:20   #245
BHPian

I have faced so many such incidents(near miss accidents :P) but very few are remembered as the frequency is more. Its not that I dont drive carefully, but it happens. Should say sheer bad luck.
This happened about a few days back when I was going back home from office in the evening on my Apache, suddenly from a coconut vendor shop, a coconut slips off and started rolling towards my bike. I was mid 40's and tried to apply the brakes to the max possible. However, I could not stop. Luckily, the coconut just travelled through the tires of my bike without hurting me. The road was full of rocks and if I had slipped, it would have hurt me very badly.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2018, 17:00   #246
BHPian

This happened to me two days ago:

It was around 8:30 in the night, and I was cycling back home from my tutions. I was following this bike (Hero splendor, if I'm not wrong) very closely as the there was neck to neck traffic. At one of the T - junctions, while I was cruising at around 20 kmph, the bike which I was following stopped all of a sudden in the middle of the road! What's worse, the lady who was riding pillon got down without caring to look at what's coming from behind! Reason? She was talking on the phone! Had I lost my concentration even for a second, I would've surely mowed her down. What's even worse, she was carrying a kid as well!

And the best part is she just walked away as though nothing had happened! I felt this to be absolutely ridiculous!

The entire incident got me so annoyed that I started cursing everything - right from those careless pedestrians to the drivers on the wrong side of the road!

If there's one thing I learnt from this entire incident, it is to never take your eyes off the road even for a single second. A lot of things can go wrong in that one second!

This experience also made me understand the kind of sufferings my dad goes through everyday on his way to his office. He comes home and starts telling me stories about how he had a near miss and all, but like any other teen, I never bothered about it!

It was indeed a good experience for me as there was a lot to learn!

Cheers,
Karthi.stark
karthi.stark is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:47   #247
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I had a close shave on Friday late evening.
I had to pick my wife from her office and was in my Nano along with my son. Both belted up.

I had to make a right turn at one of the intersection and was waiting for the signal to turn green. I went around the circle to take the right and a cabbie bypassed the circle and was gunning straight into me. He almost t-boned me. Was saved by a whisker.
That left my son all shaken up.
I let go off the situation and continued on the left lane. A couple of kilometres ahead, I was overtaking a slow moving truck from the right and was coming back to the left lane. That same cabbie again cut me off from the left and again I was saved by a couple of inches. The car this time over was being driven even more rashly. Since it is a MIDC area, the road is almost always full of trucks and miscellaneous traffic. The cab disappeared in a matter of seconds.

We continued on our way, picked up my wife and reached home.

My son is now scared of being driven around in Nano as he no longer feels safe in it. This morning he refused to be dropped to school in nano. :(
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote