Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 03:57   #1021
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post

Also, from what I understand, child seats secured with a seat belt aren't as secure as those with ISOFIX mounts. But I suppose it's much much better than nothing. I'll look into aftermarket ISOFIX attachments as the next step.
The sole function of ISOFIX is to keep an 'unoccupied' car/booster seat tethered in place,so that in a crash, it must not launch itself into any other occupants of the car, hence proving to be unsafe.

The seat belts issued with the car, when installed right,will singularly anchor the child.
thorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 20:57   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The booster seat is more comfortable. The restraint is no different.

The key is to ensure the restraint doesn't impact the child's neck.
Agreed, the restraint, has to hold back the neck strap from compressing/slashing the neck in case of an accident.

What I meant is, in the event of a sudden force, are these restrainers strong enough to withstand the force of say a 20kg body, slamming and stretching?
Old 26th September 2018, 16:22   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Ordered a seat last night from Romanian brand (Indian partner "Sunheri") "Grow-U" online.
Have used this seat for a bit now. Copying (with minor corrections and adjustments) from the review I put up on Flipkart.

Quote:
It's a good option if you want an inexpensive option that covers a wide age range. I ordered one for my 15 month old niece. Provided the child isn't throwing a tantrum, she's comfortable in it - in fact, she had a good sleep in it right the first time it was used. Padding seems just right, but can be easily augmented I imagine. It is quite easy to set up simply by looking at the diagrams in the provided booklet. Once set up properly, it is reasonably well fastened to the car seat (there is slight play as I imagine there is with all non-ISOFIX seats) and securing the child to the harness of the child seat is a breeze. I hope we never find out, but it seems it'll do the job.

The build quality is solid enough, if not stellar - certainly more than good for the price. No complaints about the sturdiness of the plastic shell, which is the main thing I suppose. The fit and finish could have been better in places though - stitching and fit of the padding etc.

The only niggle was that I received one "belt harness" (as described by the manual) less - it's basically a shoulder pad for the belt going across the child's shoulder. The image is attached. Again, its lack is inconsequential - it is being used without anyway, as the added bulk seems to irritate the child.
After additional usage (both city and highway), here are two incidents that standout:
1. I wasn't there, but her grandad took her for a short trip through the city to pick up her grandma. She was quite happy despite being all alone (one way) in the car seat, which was positioned on the back seat, behind the driver's seat (safest position from what I understand, hence I had secured it for them there).
2. Went for a long-ish joy ride to the outskirts recently, with cousin and niece in attendance. Over all manner of roads, the child slept soundly for three hours, and remained comfortable and content for the last hour, almost till we got home (regretfully, I have to experience the skin crawling feeling of having an unrestrained child in the car for short periods thanks to "teething issues").

Sorry for a lack of detailed and better composed shots, but the seat isn't at my place for obvious reasons, and I have only one hasty shot of it installed in their car. The other shot is of the solitary "belt harness" there should've been a pair of.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-new-bitmap-image.jpg  

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-whatsapp-image-20180901-22.34.51.jpeg  

Last edited by Mu009 : 26th September 2018 at 16:24. Reason: Semantics
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:58   #1024
Senior - BHPian

How good is the Chicco Gro Up 123 for a 2yr old? It is at some 17k online and looks good. Had a look at the luvlaps and r for rabbits available locally but changing from a britax those just don't inspire confidence [in my head]
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:31   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
How good is the Chicco Gro Up 123 for a 2yr old? It is at some 17k online and looks good. Had a look at the luvlaps and r for rabbits available locally but changing from a britax those just don't inspire confidence [in my head]
This particular model lacks ISOFIX.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:33   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
This particular model lacks ISOFIX.
That is ok. My car does not have isofix anyways.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:09   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is ok. My car does not have isofix anyways.
I got it when my kid was 4 years old. For 2 years I think it might be problematic as it does not recline much and when the kid sleeps, they tend to slump. For my kid, was ok as she was 4 years and the tendency to slump forward was less. If you can buy a support pillow or something, it might work.

Otherwise the seat is very good. Going strong for almost 3 years now and is value for money. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:18   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I got it when my kid was 4 years old. For 2 years I think it might be problematic as it does not recline much and when the kid sleeps, they tend to slump. For my kid, was ok as she was 4 years and the tendency to slump forward was less. If you can buy a support pillow or something, it might work.

Otherwise the seat is very good. Going strong for almost 3 years now and is value for money. Hope this helps.
The slumping part is worrying. Are there any specific support pillows available? What did you use before this?

I should have bought a convertible months back instead of pushing the infant seat to the max. [britax b safe 35 i think]
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:56   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The slumping part is worrying. Are there any specific support pillows available? What did you use before this?

I should have bought a convertible months back instead of pushing the infant seat to the max. [britax b safe 35 i think]
Before this seat I used an evenflow seat from her being 1 year to 4 years. That had a natural recline and was fuss free as well. In fact till 2 months back it was still in use as the seat in my dad's car. It costed around 7500 and is good.

Regarding pillows you can look up on amazon I got one from there, but they work sometimes, don't sometimes, depending on how the baby slumps...
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:00   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Before this seat I used an evenflow seat from her being 1 year to 4 years. That had a natural recline and was fuss free as well. In fact till 2 months back it was still in use as the seat in my dad's car. It costed around 7500 and is good.

Regarding pillows you can look up on amazon I got one from there, but they work sometimes, don't sometimes, depending on how the baby slumps...
Did a bit of googling, and these look nice

http://www.nobob.com/kids-love-nobob/

https://www.amazon.com/NapUp-Child-S.../dp/B01J242BLK

But are they safe?

Last edited by deathwalkr : 2nd October 2018 at 13:01.
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:29   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did a bit of googling, and these look nice

http://www.nobob.com/kids-love-nobob/

https://www.amazon.com/NapUp-Child-S.../dp/B01J242BLK

But are they safe?
No idea, but they look good. If they work as intended then should be safe enough I suppose.
Old 12th October 2018, 09:51   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Just bought the Chicco Gro up 123 from Flipkart. Amazon had it at 17,900. FK had it at 16k odd [from the same seller] plus another 10% discount from HDFC credit card. So got it at 14,500. Some good money saved

Now hopefully, my son likes migrating from his comfy britax to this.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:17   #1033
BANNED

Quote:
Just bought the Chicco Gro up 123 from Flipkart. Amazon had it at 17,900. FK had it at 16k odd [from the same seller] plus another 10% discount from HDFC credit card. So got it at 14,500. Some good money saved

Now hopefully, my son likes migrating from his comfy britax to this.
I salute you (and all those you have bought child seats for their kids) for being a responsible father (again ). I would like to get information on below points,
1. How old is your son ?
2. Does it support isofix?
3. How is the quality?
4. Can you share the link in Flipkart of the product?

In short, could you please share a crisp review of the child seat you bought.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:25   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I salute you (and all those you have bought child seats for their kids) for being a responsible father (again ). I would like to get information on below points,
1. How old is your son ?
2. Does it support isofix?
3. How is the quality?
4. Can you share the link in Flipkart of the product?

In short, could you please share a crisp review of the child seat you bought.
Car seat was a no brainer decision. My daughter took some time getting used to it but managed and now is grown enough to sit with regular seat belt.

My son is 2yrs old now and thought it was time to change to forward facing since his legs were cramped up in the rearfacing seat.

It does not support isofix neither does my car.

I am yet to receive the product. Will definitely put up a review once i get it

Here is the link, i think the offer is still active:
https://www.flipkart.com/chicco-grou...meaf7yhpstgpbx
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 22:41   #1035
Senior - BHPian

I am using the R for Rabbit Jack N Jill Grand car seat for my 21 month old son. This does not come with Isofix mounts and I have been using the seat belt. One of my cars does have the Isofix Support (Ignis). Does it make sense to buy Isofix belts and use the Isofix slots with a car seat that does not come pre-built with Isofix?

I was looking at something like this: URL

Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks