Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 14:44   #1156
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks for responding!

We're expecting so need it for newborn but something that would work till a few years down the line as well.
Appreciate your help!
First of all congratulations!! I will suggest go for a Baby safe from Britax or from similar range seat from Joie or Mothercare. This seat is typically for new born to 18 months old, mounted in rear facing mode in the car with 3 point belt.

Generally these seats come with a neck and back support for new born. I know this surely comes with Britax but it should be same with Joie/Mother care.

Post 18 months, you can select a combination seat that can have 9 months to 12 year range, again in 3 point belted mode.
amitahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:07   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
Post 18 months, you can select a combination seat that can have 9 months to 12 year range, again in 3 point belted mode.
Are there car seats that are good for newborns as well as for kids upto 6-7 years? Spending 15-20k now and then again after 1.5 years is a little concerning.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:28   #1158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the market to buy a car seat. I have a 2013 4x4 Fortuner and 2017 Celerio Zxi (O) AMT.

What kind of car seat do I need to look for if it should work with both the cars?
My daughter is 15 months old and I have an EcoSport (with ISOFIX) and Tiago (without). After a LOT of research, we eventually bought the Graco 4-in-1 Car Seat that can be used right for the baby's trip back home from the hospital to ~10 years. (Bought it on Amazon IN for 25k)

https://www.amazon.in/Graco-4Ever-Co.../dp/B00Y2863GQ

However, we consciously decided not to put her in a car seat until she could sit upright by herself, mainly for two reasons:
1) until she could, her neck wouldn't be adequately supported
2) given our infrastructure and roads being what they are, we didn't want her getting thrown around
3) In our experience, she fit in the car seat comfortably when she was about 12 months. The car seat has extra cushions for a younger baby but we didn't want to use them. Again, this depends on your kid's build

I've been intending to write a detailed review of our car seat but that's being put off far too long.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:09   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
My daughter is 15 months old and I have an EcoSport (with ISOFIX) and Tiago (without). After a LOT of research, we eventually bought the Graco 4-in-1 Car Seat
The one you bought isn't available anymore but I see a similar model, thoughts please.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KBLM8Y8/..._uYE4EbDF83VHY
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:20   #1160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The one you bought isn't available anymore but I see a similar model, thoughts please.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KBLM8Y8/..._uYE4EbDF83VHY
They're both mostly the same, with the DLX version having a few more features. Although these additional features seem more for the books, I doubt how much more they add up for in the real world. You absolutely can't go wrong with it.

https://carseatcomparison.net/graco-...tween-the-two/

One thing that helped us get our daughter acclimatized/like the car seat: after the car seat was delivered, we unboxed it and kept it in the living room for a few days, until I figured out all the features. During this time, my daughter kept checking it out and even wanted to sit in it. Although this was unintentional, we feel it helped her be comfortable in/with the car seat, so much so, that she points to the car seat when we're in the car.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:30   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
They're both mostly the same, with the DLX version having a few more features. Although these additional features seem more for the books, I doubt how much more they add up for in the real world. You absolutely can't go wrong with it.
Thanks! Just placed the order.

And the idea of putting this out in the kids room is excellent I think, cheers!
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 20:29   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Are there car seats that are good for newborns as well as for kids upto 6-7 years? Spending 15-20k now and then again after 1.5 years is a little concerning.
There are also seats that cater age limit from new born to 10 years. Again, these seats do cover all age limit but may not be comfortable as it is like specific new born seat that has age group of 0-18 months. Some seats are available that has the range of new born to 4 years and that is something I can suggest. Normally with belted installation there are limited options and with isofix there are plenty.
Old 9th August 2020, 19:01   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
There are also seats that cater age limit from new born to 10 years. Again, these seats do cover all age limit but may not be comfortable as it is like specific new born seat that has age group of 0-18 months. Some seats are available that has the range of new born to 4 years and that is something I can suggest. Normally with belted installation there are limited options and with isofix there are plenty.
Yep, check out the Chicco Nextfit. It should meet your needs.

I just got a well kept 1.5 year old one off OLX for 16k (new one retails around 32k in stores)

Coming from a chicco keyfit 30 infant car seat and car seat base combo this one is HUGE.

Still trying to figure out how to use isofix belt in my hector. Its very hard.
dhruvwali is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 14:13   #1164
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a child seat which is good enough for another 3-4 years. It's got Isofix mounts but my car doesn't have, I use it with the seat belt. That seat is quite bulky and it gets little tight on rear seat when 2 adults have to be accommodated, child seat is fixed to left rear in front facing position. I wanted to know, is there a child seat that can be attached to the central lap belt and is not bulky enough so that 2 adults can sit on either sides? Anyone using something like that? My kid is 3 years old and once he is 5 or 6, I may go for a booster seat which occupies less space. But till then, what can be done? Can a booster seat be used with lap belt?
Old 16th August 2020, 12:59   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My kid is 3 years old and once he is 5 or 6, I may go for a booster seat which occupies less space. But till then, what can be done? Can a booster seat be used with lap belt?
Hi, it really depends on which seat you are using. All the seats that are sold in the US market can be installed with lap belt only. If you are using booster seat, it is possible to install it in lap belt only mode. For a toddler, generally available seats are bigger and occupy one person's space in the car. You can move to booster seat after the age of 3.5 year or 15kg weight.
Old 22nd August 2020, 21:17   #1166
BHPian

Chicco Unico Baby Car Seat Review

Thanks to a number of useful suggestions on this thread, I went ahead and got a Chicco Unico car seat for my 2 month old daughter. Since I have a 2017 Verna which has ISOFIX, getting a car seat that supports that was a no-brainer. I bought it off Amazon for Rs. 21,490.

Highlights:
  • It feels like a well built premium product.
  • It has a swivel base so it can be setup as both front and back facing so you can use it for a few years.
  • It has three levels of recline.
  • It has an adjustable headrest.
  • It is extremely easy to install if you car has ISOFIX. The process takes literally 30 seconds. Using seatbelts is far more complex.
  • The straps and the seat is reasonably padded. It is pretty simple to adjust and secure the straps although I would have liked to see a little more adjustability there.
  • The headrest rattles when the car is on the move so I'm looking at adding some foam padding to reduce that.
  • Most importantly, my daughter was comfortable on the seat right away and slept off almost immediately which was a huge win

Reasonably padded with the headrest in the lowest position.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-chiccofront.jpeg

Side view with the seat facing the front. You can see the clip that fastens on to the isofix mount on the bottom right. It slides backwards and forwards when you press a button and push.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-chiccoside.jpeg

The ISOFIX mount on the Verna. Fitting is easy. You align the car seat and push the sliding clip till you hear an audible click. Takes 30 seconds once you have done it a few times.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-isofix.jpeg

The car with the seat attached. Much cleaner than having to wrestle with belts.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-chiccocar.jpeg

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 22nd August 2020 at 21:19.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:41   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Chicco Unico Baby Car Seat Review

Thanks to a number of useful suggestions on this thread, I went ahead and got a Chicco Unico car seat for my 2 month old daughter. Since I have a 2017 Verna which has ISOFIX, getting a car seat that supports
This looks interesting. I have a few questions
1) My S-Cross (2016) doesn't have ISOFIX. Does this seat have a provision to fit using seat belts?
2) I can't seem to find this product on Amazon. Could you share the product link? Also is this available elsewhere?

Also, I understand that Joie is a decent brand too.
Any opinion on this one (Joie tilt car seat) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06VTC64LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mqJqFb417JZ9J

Last edited by djkher : 23rd August 2020 at 14:50. Reason: Added one more question
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:34   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
2) I can't seem to find this product on Amazon. Could you share the product link? Also is this available elsewhere?

Also, I understand that Joie is a decent brand too.
It looks like it's out of stock on Amazon. I don't think it makes sense to buy a seat with ISOFIX if your car doesn't have that. It is heavier and more expensive than a normal seat.

I had a quick look at the Joie. It seems to be a good pick. You could also take a look at the Chicco Cosmos.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07GX1RPCH/..._3wOqFbPVWX8EE

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 23rd August 2020 at 20:35.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 02:23   #1169
BHPian

Thank you Ranjitnair77 for the detailed review. Just when I thought I will write a review on the same product, you did it before I could think of.

I own the same car seat(but black colour) here and we used it last weekend on a weekend getaway 200km away. This was the first time we made use of the car seat for my newborn baby. My baby was asleep for at least 70% of the time when we traveled in the car.

Since it is mandatory in Europe for all kids to use car seat, I was on a lookout for an all-in-one, multi-year use seat which is both economical and sturdy from a reputed brand. Many of my friends recommended I use the egg seat till the baby turned 6 months or 9kg as the same can also be mounted on a stroller. However, it does not make economical sense to buy another seat once the baby outgrows the egg shaped seat. Investing money multiple times on the same product sounded quite foolish to me.

I browsed various websites to research on child seats and E commerce websites to buy the most suitable one. Thankfully, I came across Chicco Unico car seat which can be used from birth till the child weighs 36kilos! The seat came equipped with Isofix (most important) and it had 360 degree swivel option which is an absolute boon when you have to put the baby in its seat and belt it up. Trust me, it is a big exercise in itself. The mounting of seat takes less than 30 seconds like Ranjitnair says. The build quality of the seat is very good. It has good quality belts and easy quick release button. The headrest can be adjusted for various lengths and the back support can also be removed once the baby's back and neck is stable. The child should travel rear facing as long as possible (even after exceeding 9kg)because it has been proven that it is one of the most safe positions to avoid neck related injuries in children.

I am attaching 2 pics for your reference.

I initially made my baby sit on the seat on a trial basis after it was purchased and we also went on a small trial run in the immediate surrounding just to get the baby accustomed to being tied up to the seat. Thankfully, it went fine!
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-car-seat-1.png

This is the pic which was shot inside the car showing its happy face
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-car-seat-2.png

The car seat was purchased at a price of 4759CZK which is roughly equal to 16000INR in today's conversion rate. It was an absolute steal that I found it at that price. You can see it here https://www.chiccobaby.cz/do-auta/au...6kg-jet-black/

Lastly, I want to add one additional point here before I conclude my post. Because the car seat has rigid Isofix points, mounting the seat in the middle is not possible (unless there are dedicated Isofix slots). To overcome this issue, I recently purchased a seat belt which has Isofix connectors at the end from Aliexpress. Find it here https://bit.ly/3bpenYS What is the use of this, you ask? Imagine you have 2 well grown adults who wish to travel with you in the backseat and you are unable to do so because the child seat eats away one complete seat, you can mount the child seat in the middle and use the above chord to fix it in place by borrowing one Isofix point from either side of the seat. Thereby you are solving the problem of carrying 2 adults and 1 child without hassles.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
Simha.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 15:47   #1170
BHPian

For anyone who is interested in saving on some serious money, the Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible is currently up for grabs at 45% discount.
With an Amazon pay card , a further 5% cashback puts it at Luvlap and R for rabbit cost ~5500 (the regular price by cart2india is at thrice the cost of 18000/-)

https://www.amazon.in/Evenflo-Tribut...1028794&sr=8-1

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 25th September 2020 at 15:52.
vamsi2390 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks