Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 12:49   #46
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range

That's a great news! Altroz EV would be the hottest hatch Tata has ever produced. The increment in range makes the package much more attractive. People would be able to use it in a more conventional manner rather than planning every kilometer. However, the improved range and bigger battery pack might make it more pricey than expected.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 15:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
That's a great news! Altroz EV would be the hottest hatch Tata has ever produced. The increment in range makes the package much more attractive. People would be able to use it in a more conventional manner rather than planning every kilometer. However, the improved range and bigger battery pack might make it more pricey than expected.
Exactly! While this is going to be a great package, there is no way this can be a sub 10 lakh car. I expect the price to be close to the Nexon EV perhaps a lakh or so lower for the 40% increase in range. This will still be a compelling product and seeing Nexon EV's recent sales success the Altroz should also do well.

I will be booking mine as soon as the bookings are open.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 15:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I will be booking mine as soon as the bookings are open.
Have they disclosed even a tentative timeline regarding a launch?
Hate to sound cynical, but going by their current pace regd new releases e.g. HBX and Altroz DCT, this could well be 2-3yrs into the future(and yet probably would be before a decent electric hatch by any other competitor).
Nikhil Beke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 15:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

We need 2 ranges, ideally for each model.
i) For city based use (private/cabs) which would typically run 170-180 kms per charge
ii) For the rest, which is around 350 kms per charge
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 02:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
NEXON EV is using LFP batteries from the start and it's weighs about 260KG. It's being sourced and assembled by TATA AUTOCOMP and supplied to Tata Motors.

Eagerly waiting for confirmation on this 40% increased range. IMHO Altroz EV should come with 2 battery packs- one with 20KWH- affordable, faster, efficient for the same mechanicals due to 250-300kg lesser weight when compared to NEXON EV 30KWH, for customers considering EV as their secondary/ City car and another one with 40KWH with longer range for replacing the primary cars at homes.

Few things they should add to both the Nexon and Altroz EV packages are :

*Faster charging capabilities for future proof, atleast 11KW on AC and 50KW on DC.
*Cruise control.
*Range mode with controlled accelerator response.
*Power consumption charts like AC consumption, Battery cooling, motor etc just like KONA EV.
*Added safety with ESP & TC.
Thanks for confirming LFP batteries in the Nexon.

Disappointed at the numbers, though. 30KWH in 260Kg is only 115WH per kg at pack level. That's low enough to be rejected by most carmakers in 2021! As a comparison, CATL was at 162WH per kg in early 2020. Other major chinese battery makers were around 145 WH per Kg. These numbers are all for LFP. If 2021 year version is say 10-15% better and Tata Autocomp is able to source last year's (2020) versions at good prices, that itself can deliver the 40% higher capacity in nearly the same weight as now!

I would not wish for a battery much smaller than 30KWH in a car. In regular use, it is best not to use the initial 10% and top 10%, leaving you the middle 80% or about 150-160km only with 30KWH. People will not buy an EV with range much smaller than that, unless it is really cheap and still reliable. Like an electric WagonR or Kwid or Kiger at 8-9Lacs.

To me, Nexon makes sense with
A. the current 30KWH as base model but cheaper than now, and
B. a new 45-50KWH upgraded model

50KWH will give you approx 330-350km real range which is good enough for one way travel to most nearby towns and cities (assuming a fast charger or overnight stay at the destination). An EV with 330-350km range and price below 15Lacs can find a lot of buyers in India. For anybody with a longish daily commute, it can save a ton of money over a petrol car.

I totally agree with the need for 7-11KW AC and 50-100KW DC charging.

For added safety, I would love to see Nexon EV be the first car below 15Lacs to offer adaptive cruise control and Automatic Emergency Braking in India. Both features need a forward looking radar sensor. These have become cheaper over time, but current chip shortages could be a dampener. Running your EV at a safe distance behind a bus will get you very long range because it cuts out wind resistance to a large degree. Adaptive cruise and automatic braking make it effortless.
guptad42 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 09:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Have they disclosed even a tentative timeline regarding a launch?
Hate to sound cynical, but going by their current pace regd new releases e.g. HBX and Altroz DCT, this could well be 2-3yrs into the future(and yet probably would be before a decent electric hatch by any other competitor).
You are correct, rumours suggest end of this year or the beginning of the next. Perhaps I got my hopes up too soon. If I cannot wait any longer, then I guess I will have to compromise with the Nexon or the Kona.
Old 31st July 2021, 12:27   #52
BHPian

I have a hunch that Tata is not planning on going with batteries larger than 30KW for the next few years. Tata has set up an extensive fast charger network and all of them max out at 25KW. The usable battery in the Nexon was around 25KW and that's where they figured a charge time of around 40 minutes from 20% to 80% or around one hour from near zero to near full. If they had plans of bringing in larger batteries, they would have set up faster chargers. Most non Tata fast chargers in India support 50 to 60KW. So we won't see an electric Harrier or Safari for the next few years and only smaller vehicles like the Nexon, Altroz and Hornbill will come in e versions. Some of them being smaller and more aerodynamic will provide a higher range. Of course there can be some incremental upgrades like the 30KW becoming 35 max over the next few years. If they were to bring in a 40 to 50KW battery in the Nexon, the price would go up by a few lakhs and then buying the MG at around 20 lakhs with 6 airbags, ESC, cruise control and better overall refinement would make more sense.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 22:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

If I were in a compact hatch, Altroz EV would be my definite choice!
Are there plans to have EV models of Harrier and Safari? Or would they limit to smaller cars/CSUVs? I think an EV Harrier/Safari would be a worthy inclusion & expand the market.
Does anybody have ideas if they have plans for a bigger battery?
Old 8th August 2021, 09:34   #54
BHPian

Scoop! Tata Altroz EV to get larger battery, 40% more range-tmem.jpeg
Tata Motors Electric Mobility tweeted this a few minutes back - https://twitter.com/TatamotorsEV/sta...10474535510016
Could this be Altroz EV announcement or probably HBX EV? Or am I reading too much into it?
kartikthum is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 12:35   #55
BHPian

More tease of this "Mystery EV" from Tata Motors Electric Mobility on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TatamotorsEV/sta...36083217739786

It's high time we get the Altroz EV but knowing Tata, it might well be an extended range model of Nexon EV, which is also a welcome move.
Old 10th August 2021, 12:47   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmeter View Post

It's high time we get the Altroz EV but knowing Tata, it might well be an extended range model of Nexon EV, which is also a welcome move.
But they are calling it the "mystery" EV, so I don't think it will be a Nexon. Hope its either Altroz or HBX EV.
udaikalra01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 13:32   #57
BHPian

Considering that the focus of all the teasers so far is on 'power' and not on 'range', I am no longer expecting it to be Altroz EV. Most probably it could be HBX or something else(?!). Also a point to note is that even before the launch of Nexon EV, Tata Motors kept mentioning about the mystery EV alongside Nexon EV & Altroz EV.
Old 10th August 2021, 13:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
But they are calling it the "mystery" EV, so I don't think it will be a Nexon. Hope its either Altroz or HBX EV.
Both the Altroz and HBX haven't been seen testing. Tata cars usually undergo lot of local testing before launch. I dont think this will be anything new. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong here.
Old 10th August 2021, 14:36   #59
BHPian

Tata EV's advertisements have been claiming an Uphill drive of 46kms, that too an exciting drive.

With the MG ZS EV, an uphill exciting drive for 46kms will drain the battery by 46%. That is about 20kwh battery consumed.

With the Nexon EV, that is about 65% - 75 % battery drain

If Tata wants to make an exciting uphill drive and have some battery remaining, then the car should have at least 30kwh battery pack or more, else it will turn out to be a farce.
Old 10th August 2021, 14:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Both the Altroz and HBX haven't been seen testing. Tata cars usually undergo lot of local testing before launch. I dont think this will be anything new. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong here.
Camouflaged HBXs have been spotted testing. Also an Altroz EV sand camouflage undergoing testing might not be distinguishable from a regular one.

This is the optimist in me thinking that the electric versions of the HBX & Altroz are in advanced stages of development.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks